Beaches and islands

anthemite

As I will be travelling in the south, I wonder if anyone could suggest some particularly nice, less frequented and less disrupted beaches and islands in the south, that wont tax my budget but are safe and beautiful.

I have heard many people suggest Krabi and Thap Sakae, but those same people suggested I stay away from Phuket, Ko Phi Phi, Koh Samui, and Koh Phang Ngan.

I will definitely be travelling through Phang Nga, but outside of that, I have no firm plans for a couple weeks.

In addition to clean quiet places, places with some historical value would be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I live at Thung Wua Laen a nice beach close to Chumpon, 465km South of Bangkok. There are some quit beaches around here. A friend loves Trang province.

The beach here is empty monday/friday and visited by thais living around Chumpon sat/sunday.

Unfortunately most thais don't seem to know where he trash bins are and throw everything around where they sit. But you will have to live with that.

There are severall bungalow type resorts on the beach and even a real hotel with swimming pool at around 1k baht/night (and they keep their part of ther beatch clean)

sent me a pm if you need more info.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to be so tardy...but perhaps others will benefit from this response.

Songkhla has a long, clean, safe beach, very nice surroundings, and a decent hotel can be had for about 400 baht.  Beautiful trees, great seafood.  No place is perfect, and the beachfront hotels are expensive, but grab a "taxi" from your inland hotel (try the Royal Crown, the locals will know where it is, I think) and walk along the endless beach at sunset.  Pattaya is nothing like this!

I agree with LordHawHaw!  I was in Songkhla during Sonkran with my girlfriend. The beaches were clean and pretty much empty. The sea was hot! (at least for a farang...). Nice cheap food, cheap hotels and really friendly locals (Since I seemed to be the only farang in town during Sonkran you can imagine how wet and 'white' I got!!)

• 3 weeks later...
I've visited Koh Tao, Samui and Phuket-they're all beautiful. I think the best advice that I can proffer is.... wherever you go try and get as far away from the airport or train stations as possible. It is a lot cheaper for accomodation and far less crowded because farangs are lazy.

farangs are lazy.

Which just goes to show that there are only two types of farangs.  Those that go to Thailand to do the same old thing and enjoy all the comforts of home.  And those that go to Thailand to enjoy the beauty of the country and the hospitality of the people.

I feel sorry for the former.  :cool:

• Like 1