China Visa Update

I went down the friday before last to get a visa to visit Beijing for a short visit. Here is what I had to do to get that visa.

1) Print out the forms from here:

The address is:

57, Ratchadapisake Road, Bangkok

2) I made copies (and duplicates) of flight info and hotel accomodation (if not visiting a friend's address).

3) Copied marriage license (traveling with wife and just wanted to be sure).

4) Made photocopies of passports and our thai visas (to be sure).

5) Visited the embassy in Bangkok (I tossed 40baht to the guard to park in the near empty parking lot right outside the entrance, give it a shot).

6) Walked in, punched the box to get a number and I was 25 numbers away from the current number being taken. I sat and waited no more than 7-8 minutes. All windows were open and it was moving at a very fast clip.

7) Number called, I handed only our original passports. No copies of anything was needed (even though it's widely recommended and I believe the embassy website even says to have flight and accommodation info on hand).

8) The same-day turnaround was 5600baht but since I was not staying the day, I asked that I be able to pick up the passports on Monday morning. The charge for that would be 5200baht (each) for one/two-day turn around. Within minutes I was back in the truck on my way to find some yummy food. I was back in Banglamung by noon and that includes having lunch.

9) Drove back to the embassy on Monday morning, arrived at 9:30. Again, bribed the guard 40baht to park in the lot (he recognized me). At this point you do not need to queue with a number, you just walk up to the 'Collection' booth, submit your pink slip and retrieve your passport. Quickly verifying the Is were dotted and the Ts were crossed, I moved over to the 'Cashier' and paid the 5200baht (each). I did not have to wait in either line. I was back in the truck and on the road by 9:45.

To sum it up...

- Photocopy everything, it can't hurt.

- Embassy is open for paperwork from 9am-11:30am. No joke.

- Embassy allows for same day pickup after 3pm.

- 5600baht for same day, 5200baht for 1-2 day and 4800 for 3-4 day.

- Slip a 40baht to the guard at the parking gate, he's a cool dude.

Beijing is absolutely beautiful, I expected I would enjoy myself, but I did not think it was going to be *so* fantastically awesome. Hope this helps someone!

Edited by anothertorres

While I havn't tried this personally I have heard on the grapevine you may be able to apply for a 1 year multi entry tourist visa for pretty much the same price as a 30 day. If your planning on visiting china more than once in a year it's probably worth it, uses the same amount of space in your passport either way.

do you need hotel and plane ticket first? I don't want to purchase them and then find out I cant get the visa. I know it was a problem before the olympics

thanks

well, i was advised to have flight and accommodation paperwork, but they didn't check mine. it was pretty much the usual money grab. they take you passport and give it back to you and you pay up.

anothertorres,

Your information is much appreciated and comes just at the right time as I am right now planning a trip to China.

Could you indicate what exact type of visa you refer to with the 5600/5200/4800 baht one? What validity length, and is it single or multiple (how many?) entries?

And I agree with you: Beijing is a very interesting city to visit. So much to see...

anothertorres,

Your information is much appreciated and comes just at the right time as I am right now planning a trip to China.

Could you indicate what exact type of visa you refer to with the 5600/5200/4800 baht one? What validity length, and is it single or multiple (how many?) entries?

And I agree with you: Beijing is a very interesting city to visit. So much to see...

My visa is for the "purpose of tourism and/vacation". The validity is 30 days and I went for the multiple entries. I had checked the "24 months" box but they informed me that the longest they were now accepting would be 12 months. Hope that helps and hope you have a great time. Any other questions, just ask!

anothertorres,

My visa is for the "purpose of tourism and/vacation". The validity is 30 days and I went for the multiple entries. I had checked the "24 months" box but they informed me that the longest they were now accepting would be 12 months. Hope that helps and hope you have a great time. Any other questions, just ask!

I just got my visa for China last week at the Chinese consulate in Chiang Mai.

All I needed was a completed visa application, one passport photo, and my passport. Airline and hotel confirmations not required per the consul straff.

I went with the one day service which was 5600 baht. Submitted application at 9 AM and picked up passport with visa at 3PM. I requested a 12 month multiple entry visa for tourism purposes but they would only give me 6 month double entry visa with two 30 day stays.

Jim

Thank you for your prompt answer, anothertorres.

However, I am still not entirely sure to understand...

* Did you get a multiple entry visa valid for 30 days or for 12 months ?

* for each entry, how long are you allowed to stay in China ?

Thank you !

He probably got a visa that's valid for 12 months with multile entries but you must only stay in country for 30 days each trip.

Thank you for your prompt answer, anothertorres.

However, I am still not entirely sure to understand...

* Did you get a multiple entry visa valid for 30 days or for 12 months ?

* for each entry, how long are you allowed to stay in China ?

Thank you !

He probably got a visa that's valid for 12 months with multile entries but you must only stay in country for 30 days each trip.

this is correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep the questions coming...

Does anyone know if a transit visa is required for a (most inconvenient...) 22-hour stopover in Beijing? Are transit visas issued at the Chinese embassy in Bangkok and is the price any different from the regular tourist visas? Will I need to make a hotel reservation to get the visa? I have a Swedish passport.

(And should I fail to get a visa, is the Beijing international airport the kind of place where you can get some sleep and kill 22 hours without going absolutely insane?)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi AnotherT,

Do you happen to know if they have increased the fee? As per this topic

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Visa-China-E...ok-t120640.html

the fee for Thai was 1,100 Baht. We only go there for a week and need single entry.

Did you have a problem opening the form? That's the same form I found from http://www.chinaembassy.or.th/eng/lsfw/

and all I get is:

Adobe Reader could not open 'P02… (file name).wps' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

Both my husband and I will go. Do you think both of us must come there directly to submit the applications?

Thank you so much.

• 1 month later...

I can answer my own question now:

I just went there. There is a notification they don't accept the old form.

The new form is (I noted down from their notice board)

box.net/shared/static/ia8aliz8ne.pdf

I have downloaded to I attach here for you

eform_0410.pdf

If you come there, they'll give you the new form. It took me about 10 minutes in total from filling in the form to getting a receipt after submitting. I came a bit after 9am.

They have different fees for 1 day, 2-3 days and 4 days, single entry, double entry, half year multiple and one year multiple, posted clearly on the wall.

Fee for Thai: 1,000 Baht for single entry, 4 day result.

They need only the passport, 1 photo glued to the completed application form. No other document.

We paid when collecting the passport.

I went down the friday before last to get a visa to visit Beijing for a short visit. Here is what I had to do to get that visa.

The address is:

57, Ratchadapisake Road, Bangkok

2) I made copies (and duplicates) of flight info and hotel accomodation (if not visiting a friend's address).

3) Copied marriage license (traveling with wife and just wanted to be sure).

4) Made photocopies of passports and our thai visas (to be sure).

5) Visited the embassy in Bangkok (I tossed 40baht to the guard to park in the near empty parking lot right outside the entrance, give it a shot).

6) Walked in, punched the box to get a number and I was 25 numbers away from the current number being taken. I sat and waited no more than 7-8 minutes. All windows were open and it was moving at a very fast clip.

7) Number called, I handed only our original passports. No copies of anything was needed (even though it's widely recommended and I believe the embassy website even says to have flight and accommodation info on hand).

8) The same-day turnaround was 5600baht but since I was not staying the day, I asked that I be able to pick up the passports on Monday morning. The charge for that would be 5200baht (each) for one/two-day turn around. Within minutes I was back in the truck on my way to find some yummy food. I was back in Banglamung by noon and that includes having lunch.

9) Drove back to the embassy on Monday morning, arrived at 9:30. Again, bribed the guard 40baht to park in the lot (he recognized me). At this point you do not need to queue with a number, you just walk up to the 'Collection' booth, submit your pink slip and retrieve your passport. Quickly verifying the Is were dotted and the Ts were crossed, I moved over to the 'Cashier' and paid the 5200baht (each). I did not have to wait in either line. I was back in the truck and on the road by 9:45.

To sum it up...

- Photocopy everything, it can't hurt.

- Embassy is open for paperwork from 9am-11:30am. No joke.

- Embassy allows for same day pickup after 3pm.

- 5600baht for same day, 5200baht for 1-2 day and 4800 for 3-4 day.

- Slip a 40baht to the guard at the parking gate, he's a cool dude.

Beijing is absolutely beautiful, I expected I would enjoy myself, but I did not think it was going to be *so* fantastically awesome. Hope this helps someone!

these are for sure not the regular VISA-rates. I assume, these rates are for US-nationals only.

For Europeans, its MUCH MUCH cheaper

As in the photo I posted on 22 Jan, fee for USA citizens is most expensive. 2 other categories are Thai and other countries.

I also gave the guard 40 Baht. He said the parking lot is for their staff only. Next time I can just park on the street in the soi. I saw many cars out there.

• 1 month later...
As in the photo I posted on 22 Jan, fee for USA citizens is most expensive. 2 other categories are Thai and other countries.

I also gave the guard 40 Baht. He said the parking lot is for their staff only. Next time I can just park on the street in the soi. I saw many cars out there.

Can anyone get a visa to visit China at that embassy? That is, my Indonesian GF who is visiting me wants to go to China. She doesn't have a Thai visa other than the stamp in her PP when she entered Thailand.

• 1 month later...

I have questions about visa/overstay:

I'm planning to take a 30 day Tai Chi Course and the travel details mean I'll actually be leaving on the 31st day after entry. Can I just pay a fine at Guilin airport a la BKK? How much is it likely to cost? Is there any way I can get a longer visa? I don't think extending from within China will be possible as I'll be miles from town.

Thanks in advance,

Wes

• 2 months later...

Can anyone get a visa to visit China at that embassy? That is, my Indonesian GF who is visiting me wants to go to China. She doesn't have a Thai visa other than the stamp in her PP when she entered Thailand.

Hi,

I have the same question. I'm EU passport holder living in the UK but visiting TH and China. With my gf (thai passport) we would like to apply in TH as it is 1/3 then applying in the UK...are we allowed to do it?

Thank you

giruzz

Hi,

I have the same question. I'm EU passport holder living in the UK but visiting TH and China. With my gf (thai passport) we would like to apply in TH as it is 1/3 then applying in the UK...are we allowed to do it?

Thank you

giruzz

Yes; no problem to apply for a visa to China for you as well as your gf. Visit the website of the Chinese Embassy for procedures.

LaoPo

• 7 months later...

Things seem to have changed, I travel regularly to China and have 3 x 6 month multi entry visa in my passport under the F category My present Visa expires on the 10th, and I am needed to go back into China on the 15th. On wednesday I went to the embassy to apply for another 6 month multi entry (the embassy was heaving and chaotic) and was told they would only give me a 6 month F visa and only two entriies which is a total waste of time as the length of stay is only 30 days. Trouble is the visa application desks are manned by locals and I could not find a Chinese senior to discuss with. So things are looking bleak

• 2 weeks later...

The last time I went to get a Chinese tourist visa (in Bangkok)...I requested a 30 day..they would give me just 10....as they said as per your flight... itinerary..you come back in 10 days...

I went back again...with a changed flight itinerary...I was told that I don't have enough money as per the passbook...need to have a minimum of 3000 THB for each day stayed...I had go back out...withdraw money from another account...deposit the money into the Thai bank account..update the passbook...

Then somehow I managed to get a 30 day single entry visa....and this was in December, 2009. I had to show return air tickets, hotel reservation, Thai work permit and Bank Passbook.

All this when I have lived and worked in China...before...held a valid Z visa and a Chinese work permit and paid more in income tax in one year than what an average Chinese would probably pay in 10 years...

just to update, did my china tourist visa today, only needed to fill out application form, attach photo and submit passport, nothing else needed. still have to submit in the building next to the main embassy, which is about 50m down the soi before the embassy. easy.

just to update, did my china tourist visa today, only needed to fill out application form, attach photo and submit passport, nothing else needed. still have to submit in the building next to the main embassy, which is about 50m down the soi before the embassy. easy.

did you get the visa back on the same day?

anyone know? is same day still possible? thanks

anyone know? is same day still possible? thanks

yes you can for an extra 1200 baht i think it was, i wasnt willing to pay that and luckily my brother in law lives in bkk and got him to pick it up for me.