Blackberry Service In Thailand / How Does It Work?

bkkflyer

Hi, sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.

I was considering buying a Blackberry Bold in the US (Or a HTC Touch Pro). I use "Hosted Exchange", and they offer Blackberry service for an additional USD9.95 per month.

I seldom travel to the US, max once or twice per year, and dont have any contract with a US carrier.

I am planning to use the Blackberry Bold (or HTC Touch Pro) here in Thailand. At the moment I use Dtac prepaid SIM - and have never used their data-service.

Will I be able to use the Blackberry on Dtac? I read about AIS having Blackberry service. Is the "thing" that AIS also hosts the e-mails, or could "any" GSM/Edge carrier support the Blackberry as long as I have a hosted exchange provider offering Blackberry service.

Any insight is appreciated.

Edited by bkkflyer

Hi.

DTAC doesn't offer any Blackberry Push Service.

Only AIS and TRUE.

The Service Provider (AIS / TRUE) only monitor your email Inbox with your current Provider and if any new email arrive, they will push it to your device. They do not host any email for you. Anyway not necessary.

You can also not use any prepaid card, you need to have a postpaid sim from AIS / TRUE and e.g. for AIS subscribe to unlimited data usage for 850 Baht / month. You will also subscribe to Blackberry Pushmail Service there which doesn't carry any further charges.

Buying an Bold from the USA is fine, but you need to have an unlocked one.

NetSol in Rayong sells them for 29,000 Baht. (www.netsol.co.th)

Can ship to anywhere in Thailand.

The Bolds are officially imported and unlocked.

Can also be used with Thai language (although no Thai letters on the Keyboard).

Stock will be available again during this week.

Also in Stock are Curve 8310.

Hope that helps.

Hi, sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.

I was considering buying a Blackberry Bold in the US (Or a HTC Touch Pro). I use "Hosted Exchange", and they offer Blackberry service for an additional USD9.95 per month.

I seldom travel to the US, max once or twice per year, and dont have any contract with a US carrier.

I am planning to use the Blackberry Bold (or HTC Touch Pro) here in Thailand. At the moment I use Dtac prepaid SIM - and have never used their data-service.

Will I be able to use the Blackberry on Dtac? I read about AIS having Blackberry service. Is the "thing" that AIS also hosts the e-mails, or could "any" GSM/Edge carrier support the Blackberry as long as I have a hosted exchange provider offering Blackberry service.

Any insight is appreciated.

Edited by capo

I believe DTAC offer pre paid unlimited gprs for around 900baht..i would use a HTC rather than a blackberry, there ws a time when blackberry were kings of push email but not any more i have a 8700g and to say its crap is being pleasant.

is the service everywhere, or limited except in bangkok ?

I believe DTAC offer pre paid unlimited gprs for around 900baht..i would use a HTC rather than a blackberry, there ws a time when blackberry were kings of push email but not any more i have a 8700g and to say its crap is being pleasant.

Works great in Phuket. I have it through AIS and now use BB Pearl but the Bold should be available sometime next month. Already on the waiting list.

If you men the prepaid DTAC GPRS/Edge then its everywhere i think but DTAC doesnt offer push email for blackberrys,

• 1 month later...

Works great in Phuket. I have it through AIS and now use BB Pearl but the Bold should be available sometime next month. Already on the waiting list.

Is it out already ? would appreciate any feedback. Thinking of buying one, but not sure which model and what prices are currently. Thanks

• 1 month later...

my advice is stay clear of any Windows Mobile phone at the moment. Blackberry software is just right. WM6.1 is just slow, cumbersome and difficult to do simple daily tasks unlike BB.

BB Bold on AIS or True is simply the best phone available.

• 3 weeks later...
my advice is stay clear of any Windows Mobile phone at the moment. Blackberry software is just right. WM6.1 is just slow, cumbersome and difficult to do simple daily tasks unlike BB.

For business Users, there is no alternate to Blackberry. Windows Mobiles are not worth a try. Also if you travel a lot, Blackberry save you a furtune on roaming charges as RIM compresses any email to less then 5% of the original size.

Neither Windows Mobiles nor iPhones can do that.

And what concerns AIS, we have now March. And?? Right, they still don't have stock on Blackberry Bold Devices.

Announced since November 2008 but not yet seen that anyone has been able to purchase one.

Anyway, NetSol in Rayong still have Bold in stock and price is now 25,800 Baht.

So if you can't wait, send message to me and I pass it through. You can have your Bold tomorrow :o

Edited by capo

• 7 months later...

I arrived in Thailand early this year with a Blackberry 8320 Curve purchased and used for a year in Hong Kong. I've been using it without email (which I don't really need) simply by inserting a pre-paid AIS SIM card and had no problems until recently, when I attempted to update the software via USB link to my laptop. To make a long story short, the update failed with a "fatal error", leaving the device completely non-functional.

Where can I get it fixed? AIS won't touch it because I didn't buy it from them. The manufacturer, RIM, has no representation in Thailand, so far as I can ascertain. I'm wary of the sleazebags who populate Panthip Plaza and MBK, who promise the world but invariably screw you over one way or another.

I need help. Anyone?

Played with one, it's like an iPhone except it doesn't work nearly as well, nor is it as elegant... of course if you're used to Symbian or Win Mobile, it's better than that :)

I arrived in Thailand early this year with a Blackberry 8320 Curve purchased and used for a year in Hong Kong. I've been using it without email (which I don't really need) simply by inserting a pre-paid AIS SIM card and had no problems until recently, when I attempted to update the software via USB link to my laptop. To make a long story short, the update failed with a "fatal error", leaving the device completely non-functional.

Where can I get it fixed? AIS won't touch it because I didn't buy it from them. The manufacturer, RIM, has no representation in Thailand, so far as I can ascertain. I'm wary of the sleazebags who populate Panthip Plaza and MBK, who promise the world but invariably screw you over one way or another.

I need help. Anyone?

happens sometimes when you are uploading, follow this and you should be fine:

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Wha...onnect_and_wipe

• 3 months later...

dear all,

i need some advice on BlackBerry BIS services

i travel to BKK quite often and have always been using a AIS prepaid card for the longest time. Let me share a little background

it was a year ago when i used my AIS prepaid card for the first time with BIS services, charged at about THB 35 a day. Working on a 3G Bold 9000, my operator reflected as TRUE and i could received pushmails on top of my BIS, and did not think other than the ordinary

a month later i did the same thing at the airport and...the operator now is changed to AIG (or TH GSM) and cannot work on the 3G but EDGE network...and has been the same for subsequent trips (more than 10) - was later explained to my by AIS staff that each BlackBerry PIN is linked to 1 BIS service and in Thailand now, prepaid cards are not yet allowed to have pushmails...which have made me rather confused if i had compared my first experience

does TRUE prepaid cards allow BIS with pushmail services?

appreicate any reply. thanks

jwny