Bread In Thailand

JohnBKKK

Hi,

I do not usually address quality issues I have with other companies products here, being a producer myself but, this one I have to air. Over the last few days I had the wife buy different kinds of bread for my breakfast as a test of what is available on the market. So far the results ranged from well, ok'ish to bad to terrible. Today however I had what must be the gold medal winner in the worse bread category - well I didn't have it since after one bite the rest went straight into the bin since even my dogs who are normally fond of a bit of bread just looked at it and walked away.

It's a square shaped stuff (I refuse to call this stuff bread from now on) in a clear cellophane bag with some yellow print on it and a Japanese sounding name like Toki... something (threw the whole lot into the bin) - looks actually sort of up-market, The stuff has some raisons in it and is quite thick sliced making it look sort of wholesome - that is until you've toasted it and attempted eating it.

Initially it has the texture of styrofoam and once it has collapsed in your mouth it changes instantly to cardboard - in short, expensive crap that is totally inedible - it does however manage even within the short few seconds before being spat out, to pass a terribel chemical sweetish kind of flavor into ones mouth which points to the cheapest butter replacement being used in the production process of this crap.

How they can offer this kind of total absolute crap under the name of bread is simply beyond me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John (in a bad mood since this crap has spoiled my appetite for breakfast)

Edited by JohnBKKK

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I do not usually address quality issues I have with other companies products here, being a producer myself but, this one I have to air. Over the last few days I had the wife buy different kinds of bread for my breakfast as a test of what is available on the market. So far the results ranged from well, ok'ish to bad to terrible. Today however I had what must be the gold medal winner in the worse bread category - well I didn't have it since after one bite the rest went straight into the bin since even my dogs who are normally fond of a bit of bread just looked at it and walked away.

It's a square shaped stuff (I refuse to call this stuff bread from now on) in a clear cellophane bag with some yellow print on it and a Japanese sounding name like Toki... something (threw the whole lot into the bin) - looks actually sort of up-market, The stuff has some raisons in it and is quite thick sliced making it look sort of wholesome - that is until you've toasted it and attempted eating it.

Initially it has the texture of styrofoam and once it has collapsed in your mouth it changes instantly to cardboard - in short, expensive crap that is totally inedible - it does however manage even within the short few seconds before being spat out, to pass a terribel chemical sweetish kind of flavor into ones mouth which points to the cheapest butter replacement being used in the production process of this crap.

How they can offer this kind of total absolute crap under the name of bread is simply beyond me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes,I know what you mean. Here in CM we can get good bread,but keep clear of those pre-sliced packets. I did get a realy excellent sour dough 'granary'style at Carrefour...planty of salted French butter thickly applied... great!

But I still make my own each day....even better.

Only driven into BKK once early this year, but before use to drive in every couple of months...

Best bread was in the shop downstairs in Landmark Hotel, Nana Plaza..

Friend now goes on Business to Pattaya twice a month and buys very good bread for me.

Only driven into BKK once early this year, but before use to drive in every couple of months...

Best bread was in the shop downstairs in Landmark Hotel, Nana Plaza..

Friend now goes on Business to Pattaya twice a month and buys very good bread for me.

Like so many other food items (e.g., Mexican food, Smoked BBQ), bread in Thailand is disgusting. But remember that a lot of it relates to Thai culture...........they actually like the disgusting bread stuffed with fish balls or whatever.........and they could care less about what farangs like or want.

I get very good bread from, oh what's it called, l'etoile or saint etoile or something. I think they are the same company as Yamazaki (who do great - if not authentic - peroshkis), but do better actual bread. The stuff I get is called a French loaf or a rustic loaf, although that might be the name from Carrefour, where I also buy good bread. About 60 baht for a big loaf. Nice bit of crust, nice bit of chew - just have to wait a while if it's straight out of the oven before asking them to slice it.

at least you guys are lucky to get some kind of bread in the capital, here in the boonies bread is an unknown concept. where did she get that toki bread from?

Villa I'm afraid to say

in a little while I'm going to put up some pictures in our Bistro thread of a Turkey sandwich and a Bagel with Cream cheese and smoked Salmon

I normally never buy bread here since we bake our ow Rye. Walnut etc.. breads - it was a market test - my opinion about this particular bread and my suggestion to the company is: get rid of the Chemist and employ a Baker .... no Chef or Baker making Bread would put his/her name behind crap like this

John

Don't laugh when you read this, but the TOPS at Silom is the best for fresh bakery items. After years of rising :o frustration, I make a point of stopping here just for the bread.

Much better than le boulange and other restaurant types.

post-8434-1227001448_thumb.jpg

Ha, ha, ha!

Everyone knows it's Danish Bake's 5 Grain bread at Villa!

at least you guys are lucky to get some kind of bread in the capital, here in the boonies bread is an unknown concept. where did she get that toki bread from?

As of next week anyone in Thailand can order bread from us - its going to be made fresh to order and send by EMS - this includes New York bagels, Rye, Walnut etc..

Its old fashioned wholesome, heavy Bread, not like those kind of large loafs that you can easily squeeze together to fit into your fist - it may seem pricy at first, but when you consider the weight and taste, you will realize that it is actually cheap because you are not buying air and a small amount will fill you up in a healthy way. All my formulas for bread are based on German bread (grew up there) as I remember from my youth ... we used to have bread at home that had a thick crust, weight a ton and all you needed was some good butter to be in culinary paradise - nowadays it seems that bread is nothing but a base to put something else on and has no or very little flavor of its own. I want to taste my bread and when combined with some cheese or good charcutterie and a glass of decent wine, a simple meal can be a Gourmet dinner

John

ehem, sorry folks, but your bread makers won't cut it .... they may be ok for a light toast, but would probably burn out if they had to kneed our rye dough

THIS IS BREAD!

post-30681-1227014958_thumb.png

Edited by JohnBKKK

As of next week anyone in Thailand can order bread from us - its going to be made fresh to order and send by EMS - this includes New York bagels, Rye, Walnut etc..

Its old fashioned wholesome, heavy Bread, not like those kind of large loafs that you can easily squeeze together to fit into your fist - it may seem pricy at first, but when you consider the weight and taste, you will realize that it is actually cheap because you are not buying air and a small amount will fill you up in a healthy way. All my formulas for bread are based on German bread (grew up there) as I remember from my youth ... we used to have bread at home that had a thick crust, weight a ton and all you needed was some good butter to be in culinary paradise - nowadays it seems that bread is nothing but a base to put something else on and has no or very little flavor of its own. I want to taste my bread and when combined with some cheese or good charcutterie and a glass of decent wine, a simple meal can be a Gourmet dinner

John

ehem, sorry folks, but your bread makers won't cut it .... they may be ok for a light toast, but would probably burn out if they had to kneed our rye dough

well if you learnt how to make bread in Germany then it'll be worth buying it. German bakers are top class,among the best in Europe, after Italy of course :o do you have this advertised in your website? What's the minimum delivery? if it picks up you may consider producing sweet breads too.

btw, compliments for your site, it shows your passion for good food and knowledge.

well if you learnt how to make bread in Germany then it'll be worth buying it. German bakers are top class,among the best in Europe, after Italy of course :D do you have this advertised in your website? What's the minimum delivery? if it picks up you may consider producing sweet breads too.

btw, compliments for your site, it shows your passion for good food and knowledge.

Thank you very much, yes I did learn how to bake bread in Germany even though I'm not a baker but a cook who can bake :o

When you are in our website, you'll find a link on the left saying "shop" click there and you'll see details - there are really no min. ordrs, but it would be kind of expensive asfar as shipping is concerned to order just 1/2 Kilo ..... I do have "sweet" bread in the program as well, but its German "sweet" Bread and not to be compared to the local stuff here

check under "retail"

ehem .... to the british readers .. its is Bread, not brains :D

Edited by JohnBKKK

I get very good bread from, oh what's it called, l'etoile or saint etoile or something. I think they are the same company as Yamazaki (who do great - if not authentic - peroshkis), but do better actual bread. The stuff I get is called a French loaf or a rustic loaf, although that might be the name from Carrefour, where I also buy good bread. About 60 baht for a big loaf. Nice bit of crust, nice bit of chew - just have to wait a while if it's straight out of the oven before asking them to slice it.

Seconded. Yamazaki have branches in The Mall and do an excellent choice of breads. I like the wholewheat or the rye they do and don't begrudge the 25 K I have to drive in order to stock up the freezer . They will also slice it to any thickness you want.

Usually pick up some grainary/wheatmeal bread in Villa after leaving the Dogs B at about 1-30 in the morning before jumping in a Taxi back to Packnam.

Tends to be a day or 2 old and they flog it off at ...like 10 bt a throw but by the time I get home I just whack it in the micowave and wedge a bit of cheese/ham/tomatos/onions onto it .... :o

A BIG mai peng Sub and goes down luv-lay with a Ice Cold Heinekin..or 3... :D

Hallo John,

if next time you come here to Patong, go to the Deli shop (you know it!) and ask for Eddy's sour dough bread. From my point of view one of the best sour dough breads available. I am German and I know what I am talking about. I think Germany has the largest variety of bread in the world. Not just only white bread like baguette but also "Pumpernickel" (do you know the English translation?). And I am surprised that you mention a "sweet" bread from Germany. What is the German name?

By the way, do you have Christmas Bread ("Christstollen mit Marzipan")?

Hallo John,

if next time you come here to Patong, go to the Deli shop (you know it!) and ask for Eddy's sour dough bread. From my point of view one of the best sour dough breads available. I am German and I know what I am talking about. I think Germany has the largest variety of bread in the world. Not just only white bread like baguette but also "Pumpernickel" (do you know the English translation?). And I am surprised that you mention a "sweet" bread from Germany. What is the German name?

Hi,

Agree 100% about German Bread but things have changed and to find a really good one is not that easy anymore .. so I was told. Pumpernickel is Pumpernickel and I love it. Will make some next week. The sweet German Bread is called "Platz", Zopf or "Weck" or a numbe rof different names depensing on the area

I will make "Stollen" with Marzipan next week -

John

Hallo John,

Hi,

Agree 100% about German Bread but things have changed and to find a really good one is not that easy anymore .. so I was told. Pumpernickel is Pumpernickel and I love it. Will make some next week. The sweet German Bread is called "Platz", Zopf or "Weck" or a number of different names depending on the area

John

Edited by JohnBKKK

Hi,

John an automatic bread backing machine is gold worth. On dark, specially on rye bread I am still not being able to beat the shops, but I am developing (Masterdegree in Food Technology). But if it is fresh, hot it is unbeatable. Even my wife who does not like bread, can't resist that. But I focus on sour drought (spelling???) (Sauerteig) over 24 hours. First problem, the temperature. I would need a device I can program. Than I can't get a starter culture here.

(I had a surprising good result with Yoghurt cultures over 30 hours, but it is not perfect).

If you ever import some cultures or some powders. Always looking for rye/wheat dark qualities which are not available in the endcustomer area please contact me.

Hallo John,

Hi,

Agree 100% about German Bread but things have changed and to find a really good one is not that easy anymore .. so I was told. Pumpernickel is Pumpernickel and I love it. Will make some next week. The sweet German Bread is called "Platz", Zopf or "Weck" or a number of different names depending on the area

John

I love the not sweet one. A good rye bread is an art, not easy and not many customer like it. As well it may develop gases inside you that will cause some big problems with your wife....

I love the not sweet one. A good rye bread is an art, not easy and not many customer like it. As well it may develop gases inside you that will cause some big problems with your wife....

I blend 2/3's rye with 1/3 good, imported hard wheat flour - no problem with undesired erruptions :o its not too dark and the flavor is way up there ... by the way, in most cases, the increased gas is caused when so called improovers are used and other chemicals like preservatives, I use neither,

John

Hallo John,

did I get it right, you will make "Pumpernickel", I mean real P-u-m-p-e-r-n-i-c-k-e l? Not only black rye bread?! This thread starts to get interesting...

So, of course, let me ask you the imminent question: Will the Pumpernickel be available by your delivery service? How about the Christstollen?

And, do you still have the cooperation with Deli here in Patong and will the two products be available over there also?

Again, good luck for a real tasty Westphalian Pumpernickel!

Hallo John,

did I get it right, you will make "Pumpernickel", I mean real P-u-m-p-e-r-n-i-c-k-e l? Not only black rye bread?! This thread starts to get interesting...

So, of course, let me ask you the imminent question: Will the Pumpernickel be available by your delivery service? How about the Christstollen?

And, do you still have the cooperation with Deli here in Patong and will the two products be available over there also?

Again, good luck for a real tasty Westphalian Pumpernickel!

Hi,

yes, real Pumpernickel, not what is normally sold here as such. Next week we start with the production as well as for Dresdner Stollen with Marzipan and both will be available through our website for EMS delivery.

As far as Phuket is concerned, I will let you know next week, once we have cleared it with the Deli,

John

Seconded. Yamazaki have branches in The Mall and do an excellent choice of breads. I like the wholewheat or the rye they do and don't begrudge the 25 K I have to drive in order to stock up the freezer . They will also slice it to any thickness you want.

And thirded!

I buy my bread at the Mall Bang Khae, and I put up with the horrible car exit from the place just to get my bread at St. Etoille (or whatever it is called) there. This bread is not only good for being in Thailand, but it would be good anywhere. I haven't tried the sandwich-type bread, but the French-style breads are really quite good.

Edited by bonobo

Advice please for those of us who cannot buy good bread what are the options, bread maker,

Floor where to buy if one lives near Buriram. Most of the bread in BIG, C is crap.

Hi,

a breadmajer will not give you a much better result than commercially bought bread. At best you'll get a reasonable toast bread out of it. If you order bread from our shop online, you will have it within 4 working day's by EMS - we produce fresh to order - the bread will keep for a long time wrapped in film in the fridge,

John

Edited by JohnBKKK

Well, John... I can certainly sympathize.

Thailand missed out on French colonial influence... good in many ways, but bad in regards to bread.

Laos and Cambodia has plenty of good French-style bread to be found all over. And Vietnam... love the sandwiches!

I gave up on Thai bread attempts long ago, got a bread machine, and make my own. If I want a baguette or any other shape, I use the machine to kneed and rise... then shape for baking in my oven. I got a stone and use a tray of water at the bottom of the oven to steam-bake, and the bread always comes out nice.

That stuff you bought, John.... not sure its the same as I am imagining, but I have a name for it - "fish bread". Its only good for feeding the fish at local wat. Yes, dogs won't even eat it.

Funny thing is, bread flour is easy to find in Thailand... but not good bread, especially outside the larger cities. I can find bread flour upcountry, as long as there is a Makro or similar. I even found rye flour and made some nice rye bread.

My Thai neighbors think my bread is too "tough" - LOL. I tell them "that's because you don't know what real bread is - and its not the 'fish bread' you've been eating". Interestingly, my wife's family really liked the spicy ambasha I made, which (in place of injira) went down well with some Doro Wat, which they also went nuts over.

Well, John... I can certainly sympathize.

Thailand missed out on French colonial influence... good in many ways, but bad in regards to bread.

Laos and Cambodia has plenty of good French-style bread to be found all over. And Vietnam... love the sandwiches!

I gave up on Thai bread attempts long ago, got a bread machine, and make my own. If I want a baguette or any other shape, I use the machine to kneed and rise... then shape for baking in my oven. I got a stone and use a tray of water at the bottom of the oven to steam-bake, and the bread always comes out nice.

That stuff you bought, John.... not sure its the same as I am imagining, but I have a name for it - "fish bread". Its only good for feeding the fish at local wat. Yes, dogs won't even eat it.

Funny thing is, bread flour is easy to find in Thailand... but not good bread, especially outside the larger cities. I can find bread flour upcountry, as long as there is a Makro or similar. I even found rye flour and made some nice rye bread.

My Thai neighbors think my bread is too "tough" - LOL. I tell them "that's because you don't know what real bread is - and its not the 'fish bread' you've been eating". Interestingly, my wife's family really liked the spicy ambasha I made, which (in place of injira) went down well with some Doro Wat, which they also went nuts over.

Hi,

yes, there is plenty of bread flour around but it depends on how liquid you make the dough and if you use so called "improovers" - most if not all commercially made bread here has no weight to it and what you buy is a lot of air - take a so called "wholeweat" loaf of bread and you can lift it up wit one finger or squeze it easily to 1/3 of its size - a loaf of our Rye bread of the same size weighs 4x as much and you have to be "Tarzan" to squeese that one by even 1/4 ... though, its not tough so to speak, but has even small poors instead of those air bubbles you'll find in those commercial productions.

The way the "improover" works is by increasing the yeasts activity and its used because you can not simply add more yeast which would make the bread taste yeasty. The incrased moisture and dramatically increased gas production of the yeast lets you make a lot more bread in loaf numbers but not in weight and since bread is sold by the loaf - a lot more profit.

A breadmaker simply hhas not got the power to kneed a firm dough for a real old fashioned bred. If you would try my dough in your breadmaker something would brake or the motor seize. I have a large and incredibly heavy kneeder for this with a 2hp motor.

The Walnut bread we make is of a lighter, wetter dough made with wheat flour only with quark added and is much softer and lighter than the rye bread of course. By adding fat in any form you will not get a crusty bread but a softer texture. had a lot of very positive responses to all three types I'm currently making - Rye,Walnut and Bagels.

Thai's either love a good bread or hate it, there is no inbetween. My staff oves it when we are making Walnut bread and always use the rests of the dough to bake their own. They also love when I make a German sweet Bread with raisens and next week when I'm making cookies and bread as well as Stollen and English Christmas cake they are very happy, Those need time to reach their peak flavor and the english Christmas cake gets twice weekly daused with whyskey or rum so it will be ready by Christmas.

The ambasha, is more like a pizza dough with oil added which reults in a different texture and the spices will also make it good for Thais - I asume you leave out the fenugreek since this will add a bitter tang to the bread which the North Africans love.

Time to hit the cauch .. all tuerkey'd out today

John

Edited by JohnBKKK