Bread In Thailand

JohnBKKK

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway best bread in the world in Italy (with Germany being 2nd and France 3rd). Bread there is thick crust, flavoursome and rich in proteins.

I don't think so, the best quality and most tasteful bread and pastry you find in Flanders the region with the most Burgundian lifestyle in Europe. Every backery have at least 20 sorts.

http://www.bakkerij-vervecken.be/index.asp

sorry it's in Dutch but you can see the pics.

I have a bread machine and use it. There are uncounted recipes for all kinds of bread out there on the Interwebs. I like Recipezaar, because you can read reviews by people who have tried the recipe.

Anyway, John is right, though, about the bread machine not being able to handle a heavy German Rye bread. I have been only making the dough in my bread machine lately, and doing the shaping and final rise and baking myself. I now know that a bread machine recipe produces a much wetter dough than a regular bread recipe. I was not able to shape it properly, as it was not really even a true dough, but some intermediate stage between a dough and a batter. The bread machine would not be able to knead a real dough, and that explains why I have never been able to get a fine crumb in my loafs. I make far better bread by hand. Still, the bread machine can produce a tasty loaf in under an hour, and I can't do that by hand. The bread machine makes an acceptable loaf, and when all I want is acceptable it's perfect. when I want really good bread, I have to make it by hand.

I picked up some rye flour recently to make a dark rye bread. I have made rye before and my husband hated it, just as he hates all whole wheat bread and bread machine white bread; he likes the soft white "edible napkin" kind of bread. But lately he has loved a good German dark rye, available locally, so I'll make a try at it and see if he likes it. Is it necessary for it to be a sourdough bread? I know how to make a starter.

For the best bread in Bangkok, try the Bangkok Baking Co at J.W. Marriott, Sukhumvit Soi 2.

They have a large selection of breads and pastries. The italian loaf is my current favorite.

Chef John and his lovely staff serve some delicious deli sandwiches and the menu has many choices for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

The Illy coffee is also superb..., best cappuccino I ever had.

Very reasonable prices and a discount may be available for locals.

For the best bread in Bangkok, try the Bangkok Baking Co at J.W. Marriott, Sukhumvit Soi 2.

They have a large selection of breads and pastries. The italian loaf is my current favorite.

Chef John and his lovely staff serve some delicious deli sandwiches and the menu has many choices for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

The Illy coffee is also superb..., best cappuccino I ever had.

Very reasonable prices and a discount may be available for locals.

JW Marriott is also my favorite breakfast/bread place in Bangkok and the Chef, John, is always up for a friendly chat.

Robert

Hi John, I've hunted all over your web page and cannot find any reference to either "Shop" or "Bread" could you tell me where I might find a usefull reference...Life in Phrae is dreadful without even reasonable bread!! :D

Thank you very much, yes I did learn how to bake bread in Germany even though I'm not a baker but a cook who can bake :o

When you are in our website, you'll find a link on the left saying "shop" click there and you'll see details - there are really no min. ordrs, but it would be kind of expensive asfar as shipping is concerned to order just 1/2 Kilo ..... I do have "sweet" bread in the program as well, but its German "sweet" Bread and not to be compared to the local stuff here

check under "retail"

ehem .... to the british readers .. its is Bread, not brains :D

it's a matter of taste, nothing beats sweet breaky. Tucking in freshly baked, filled "pastarella" and creamy hot cappuccino at a caffe bar :o

post-7932-1228123428_thumb.jpg

To be honest that looks disgusting and terrible for your health.how much sugar would you put in the cup.

Same as the usa brekkie,them flapjacks with syrup,feel sick thinking about it.Wont mention about the huge obese problems in America

it's a matter of taste, nothing beats sweet breaky. Tucking in freshly baked, filled "pastarella" and creamy hot cappuccino at a caffe bar :D

post-7932-1228123428_thumb.jpg

To be honest that looks disgusting and terrible for your health.how much sugar would you put in the cup.

Same as the usa brekkie,them flapjacks with syrup,feel sick thinking about it.Wont mention about the huge obese problems in America

I totally agree, nothing more healthy than eating a Thai breakfast on the way to the office consisting of deep fried dough and greasy pork or chicken. :o

The bread (and pizza) situation in Thailand has improved much in the last 10 years, especially in the last 3-5 years - in BKK anyway. Tops, Emporium, Villa etc all usually have good to quite decent bread, especially loaves and rolls. The Yamazaki sour dough etc not bad at all. There's at least one other similar. The bakery on Soi Convent opposite Mollys has OK bread if you get it fresh. Short half life though. Most places have the bread exposed to the open air (dry air-con air) for far too long which means it's good for that day, maybe half the following day at most. After that you'll chip a tooth.

I've still yet to find any commercial branded sliced/pre-sliced bread that is even close to good - even good enough just for toast or sandwiches etc. Big C's sliced bread is (or was) probably about the best I've tried, and I'd give that 5/10, but I've pretty much given up on buying sliced bread and haven't tried any for at least a year or two.

2 bread questions

BREAD MIXES - Are there any good bread mixes (for bread machines), commercial or otherwise, available over here, if so where, and how reasonably priced. I think I saw some at Verasu (on Wittayu beside All Seasons) a while back but didn't pay that much attention at the time. Just talking standard breads here, not rye etc. Or does everyone using bread machines here doing home brew?

LOW CARB BREAD - Anyone ever seen any being sold, made any, etc. I have eaten low carb bread and also pizza base (not in Thailand), which were both quite acceptable in taste and texture. No, not as good as the real thing, but for those of us who choose to, or have to, or should be, watching carbs, any bread or pasta that meets the basic "edible" level is nirvana. Shirataki noodles for example.....

at least you guys are lucky to get some kind of bread in the capital, here in the boonies bread is an unknown concept. where did she get that toki bread from?

As of next week anyone in Thailand can order bread from us - its going to be made fresh to order and send by EMS - this includes New York bagels, Rye, Walnut etc..

Its old fashioned wholesome, heavy Bread, not like those kind of large loafs that you can easily squeeze together to fit into your fist - it may seem pricy at first, but when you consider the weight and taste, you will realize that it is actually cheap because you are not buying air and a small amount will fill you up in a healthy way. All my formulas for bread are based on German bread (grew up there) as I remember from my youth ... we used to have bread at home that had a thick crust, weight a ton and all you needed was some good butter to be in culinary paradise - nowadays it seems that bread is nothing but a base to put something else on and has no or very little flavor of its own. I want to taste my bread and when combined with some cheese or good charcutterie and a glass of decent wine, a simple meal can be a Gourmet dinner

John

ehem, sorry folks, but your bread makers won't cut it .... they may be ok for a light toast, but would probably burn out if they had to kneed our rye dough

well if you learnt how to make bread in Germany then it'll be worth buying it. German bakers are top class,among the best in Europe, after Italy of course :o do you have this advertised in your website? What's the minimum delivery? if it picks up you may consider producing sweet breads too.

btw, compliments for your site, it shows your passion for good food and knowledge.

May have trouble 'making' sweet breads, unless you can clone lamb testicles ?

BREAD MIXES - Are there any good bread mixes (for bread machines), commercial or otherwise, available over here, if so where, and how reasonably priced. I think I saw some at Verasu (on Wittayu beside All Seasons) a while back but didn't pay that much attention at the time. Just talking standard breads here, not rye etc. Or does everyone using bread machines here doing home brew?

Villa Markets in Bangkok, and I believe Tops as well, carry a brand of packaged breadmaker mixes. I've seen two varieties, white and wheat. They're not consistently in stock, but arrive and are available from time to time, varying by store location. I make my own from scratch for my breadmaker, so I haven't tried them. But if I recall, they are priced a bit under 200 baht per package... On display with the other baking products.

Freshmart, at The Mall in Korat, usually has a few half-kilo bags of rye flour, as well as hard wheat (for bread) flour, soft wheat (for pastry) flour, local all-purpose flour, and imported American Gold medal all-purpose flour. Happy baking!

Hi,

I do not usually address quality issues I have with other companies products here, being a producer myself but, this one I have to air. Over the last few days I had the wife buy different kinds of bread for my breakfast as a test of what is available on the market. So far the results ranged from well, ok'ish to bad to terrible. Today however I had what must be the gold medal winner in the worse bread category - well I didn't have it since after one bite the rest went straight into the bin since even my dogs who are normally fond of a bit of bread just looked at it and walked away.

It's a square shaped stuff (I refuse to call this stuff bread from now on) in a clear cellophane bag with some yellow print on it and a Japanese sounding name like Toki... something (threw the whole lot into the bin) - looks actually sort of up-market, The stuff has some raisons in it and is quite thick sliced making it look sort of wholesome - that is until you've toasted it and attempted eating it.

Initially it has the texture of styrofoam and once it has collapsed in your mouth it changes instantly to cardboard - in short, expensive crap that is totally inedible - it does however manage even within the short few seconds before being spat out, to pass a terribel chemical sweetish kind of flavor into ones mouth which points to the cheapest butter replacement being used in the production process of this crap.

How they can offer this kind of total absolute crap under the name of bread is simply beyond me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John (in a bad mood since this crap has spoiled my appetite for breakfast)

You'll love this bread from The Oriental's shop in Siam Paragon. Get the special herb butter that goes with it.

post-9122-1232880144_thumb.jpg

Edited by corkscrew

Earlier in the posts ,someone mentioned Eddie's Sour Dough rye at the Deli in Patong....He also does a Caraway Jewish Rye that reminds me of Levy's in NYC....BTW, he's making a small but exceptionally tasty bagutte or Italian loaf....Eddie makes his ryes for many of the Island's German restaurants.....Eddie is from the USA 's New England area and of Chinese-American heritage....You don't have to be German to LOVE Eddie's ryes !!!

• 1 year later...
Well Sarge,

year by year we supplied a lot of 5 star Hotels with top quality stollen, mince pies, xmas puddings et..... this was great until the muppets here decided to shoot themselves in the foot and one particular person still thought Thailand was his own corporation - this season most of those Hotels are near empty for xmas - did make the stollen though which is available at the Bistro as of today,

John

p.s. for the Pumpernickel I had ordered some special stuff from Germany which got stuck in the airport closure and went off .... happy day's

Sorry but I can't find your website

love bread and the best rye i get here is from Marriott at Charoen Nakorn

any clue where i can get good butter to go with bread?

Gotta agree with Polecat, Bonobo and others.

The french loaf (baked twice daily as far as I know) in Saint Etoile is the best shop bought bread I've found in BK. Go just after 5pm to get it fresh from the oven, hurry up though as it sells pretty fast.

The only Saint Etoile I know is in Paragon and sad to say has been closed for so long

any other outlet that is open?

• 6 months later...
Gotta agree with Polecat, Bonobo and others.

The french loaf (baked twice daily as far as I know) in Saint Etoile is the best shop bought bread I've found in BK. Go just after 5pm to get it fresh from the oven, hurry up though as it sells pretty fast.

The only Saint Etoile I know is in Paragon and sad to say has been closed for so long

any other outlet that is open?

Hi. I just found this old thread o' bread. It's rather interesting how important bread is to us folk north of the equator...

There is a Saint Etoile shop in Korat in The Mall. It may not be of any help to you, but it DOES answer your question. And I agree with many posters: they do a fine product - especially when you get it fresh. Yum Yum! Nice 'n yeasty, stretchy on the inside, crusty on the out. Sort of like... OK. I won't go further... wub.gif

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the bread made in Thailand uses hydrogenated vegetable oil for shortening which is extremely unhealthy. Au Bon Pain, Subway and McDonalds bread is free of hydrogenated vegetable oil. I'd be interested if anyone knows where one can buy loaves of bread that are definitely trans fat free.

Edited by edwardandtubs

• 4 months later...

ahh i think i will not buy stuff from Yamazaki... It was good but look at the last entry on their wikipedia http://en.wikipedia....Yamazaki_Baking ... they should put this on their breads before selling them or have clear specifications of what is in them... sorry but tops wins my okane!

oh and yes i think seint etiolle is the same thing...

just trying to warn some people of the dangers as im maybe being too paranoid and research the stuff like this, i think it might be helpful to others who also dont like being test subjects... another huge + for the internet from me :)

edit:

come to think of it again i gotta find my own bread making machine so i know what really goes in the food that I'm eating, or order stuff from johnbkk...not sure if i can trust tops either but hope they wouldn't use something like this...

Edited by James3212

• 3 weeks later...

I'd recommend trying out the breads at Central Food Hall Chidlom......the head baker is swiss german and makes very serviceable baguettes and rye loaves.....everything is make fresh daily and its probably the most consistent bread i've come across in Bangkok

Lenotre also makes a decent sourdough baguette, though they consistently bake it quite pale....but a sprinkle of water and a few minutes in the oven does a pretty good job in reviving the crust

the weather and the flour in thailand will always be a major hindrance to the kind of bread we are used to in the West

• 3 months later...