Swedish Tourist Frozen To Death In Chiang Mai

george

Swedish tourist found dead in Thailand

Frozen to death outside his house

CHIANG MAI: A 59 year old Swedish tourist has been found dead in

Chiang Mai in North Thailand.

He fell asleep outside his house and froze to death.

On Thursday it was minus degrees in mountains around Chiang Mai,

Thailand's third biggest town. In the city of Chiang Mai the night

temperatures was around 10 degrees.

Was found by friends

The Swede was found dead by his friends a few kilometers outside Chiang Mai.

The man had propably been drunk and fallen asleep. There were no physical

wounds on his body, says the police in Chiang Mai.

The Swedish man had stayed several months in Thailand. He was wearing

long trousers and a long armed pullover when he was found dead. He

had went to sleep in a house extension without walls near the house

where he lived.

--Aftonbladet.se / Agencies

Swedden is the european country (with Norway) that fight to stay in the top 3 for the amount of acoholic citizen.

Also, frozen to death is not medicaly accurate, better to say dead by "hypotension", the sugar that is in alcohol is short term (short life?) sugar, mean it's burning quickly, and use more ernergy than he give to the body. If too much alcohol, then you body will be in lack of energy.

Whatever, I am sure his prefered "Tea house will miss him".

It's pretty ironic that a man from sweden (cold place, way north of the equator) should freeze to death in Thailand (tropical land). You'd expect a scandinavian to be pretty experienced in dealing with cold weather.

But there's no accouting for alcoholic stupor . . .

s3

Frozen here in Thailand???????? Hard to believe that the weather here gets below 32 degrees. In fact in Chicago which is in line with Incheon Korea, it is warmer temp wise.

I wonder if a refrigerator walked over to him and fell on him by accident and it closed its doors. Later on it must've burped and he came out and the fridge finally realized what it did, quickly went back to its normal spot, knowing no one will suspect the fridge.

Possible or not???

Daveyo

Also, frozen to death is not medicaly accurate, better to say dead by "hypotension",

Of course you're not seroius Sting :o I'm sure hyperthermia was on the tip of your tongue all the time :D

Of course you're not serious Maejo Man; I'm sure hyPOthermia was on the tip of your tongue all the time. Also known as "exposure." hyper= too much, hypo= too little

Also, frozen to death is not medicaly accurate, better to say dead by "hypotension",

Of course you're not seroius Sting :o I'm sure hyperthermia was on the tip of your tongue all the time :D

Of course you're not serious Maejo Man; I'm sure hyPOthermia was on the tip of your tongue all the time. Also known as "exposure." hyper= too much, hypo= too little

No I wasn't serious :D Just waiting for an intelligent poster, which you obviously are :D

I just had to do something about "hypotension" as it gave me "hypertension" and it amazed me that I was still alive, and not frozen :D

It's pretty ironic that a man from sweden (cold place, way north of the equator) should freeze to death in Thailand (tropical land). You'd expect a scandinavian to be pretty experienced in dealing with cold weather.

But there's no accouting for alcoholic stupor . . .

s3

There's no accounting for all your un-sullied, un-qualified, insensitive remarks either!

How dare you speculate and make comment on a sudden death, the cause of which is not known! You all seem to get a rush from this Forum and can't wait to open your big traps! Pretty poor show people! Why not just go with the sympathy until the actual facts reveal themselves and realistically speaking that won't be until the Coroner hands down his finding. ROD.

Swedden is the european country (with Norway) that fight to stay in the top 3 for the amount of acoholic citizen.

Also, frozen to death is not medicaly accurate, better to say dead by "hypotension", the sugar that is in alcohol is short term (short life?) sugar, mean it's burning quickly, and use more ernergy than he give to the body. If too much alcohol, then you body will be in lack of energy.

Whatever, I am sure his prefered "Tea house will miss him".

I think he actually means "hyperglycaemic"!

I've been surprised at how cold it is at night even in the lowland areas around CM. I was in Chiang Dao a couple of days ago at sunset, and the cold came on very very quickly... On the drive home, I truly wished for a heater. Ths year, it seems to be getting colder, sooner, than years past....

You mean HYPOTHERMIA

This is really become funny ... Is there a Dr. in the house? Anyone who took biology anyways? :o

So did the hypothermia contribute to his hypoglycemia? or visa versa? I presume from the headline it was visa versa ... 10C isn't exactly freezing ... Or maybe the guy just had a heart attack? maybe too much dioxin like Yuschenko?

But anyway, this is bleepin' funny - dead guy or not :D

Hypothermia? Come on, here in Oregon bums pass out here all the time with just pullovers on and they aint dying of hypothermia. The cold in Chiang Mai was a dry cold. Aint no way he died of hypothermia. It sounds like fan death in Korea. What coverup are they making now? Did daddy's little rich boy kill him and the police want to cover it up?

Greg

Frozen here in Thailand????????  Hard to believe that the weather here gets below 32 degrees. 

It is not that rare for temps to get to, or slightly below, freezing up in the hills. I have experienced such temps both up above Fang and also in the hills above Mae Rim. I have spent the night awake in a Karen village drikning with the men around a camp fire as they had given all the blankets to cover up the kids, women, and elderly.

Having a home in the hills, I remember in December going down for a few, wlll maybe more than a few, drinks in Chiang Mai and then watching the people look a bit bewildered by those wearing but a light sweater as I put on my layers of clothing for the motorbike ride back home: heavy sweater, parka, windbreaker, balaclava, and gloves. And even then I had to keep my speed down to lessen the wind chill.

If this guy lived outside of Chiang Mai at even a moderate elevation above the valley and had a high blood alcohol content and fell asleep without some blankets for insulation I am not surprised that he succumbed to the cold. There are also Thais who die from these cold snaps too whose deaths are not making the news.

A number of deaths occur here in the North and Northeast each year, mostly due to reported hypothermia, some due to asphyxiation from using stoves without enough ventilation.

I have no idea about any Thai conspiracies, but I do know that, just like Kansas, we're not in Oregon, either. :D

I miss Oregon very much. I lived around Eugene for a number of years. Very fond memories of the hot springs and beautiful nature everywhere. One of my biggest sadnesses about living in Thailand is the lack of clean swimable rivers and lakes... Other things about living here, for me, still balance everything in Thailand's favor in the end :o

jeeeez... hypothermia..

The guy probably died from natrual causes.

It just happened to be chilly on the night it happened.

A guy I know spent 20hrs on the summit of Everest,

sleeping in a tent at 20 below.

He didn't die from hypothermia, and he had a nasty

wind adding to the chillfactor.