Swedish Tourist Frozen To Death In Chiang Mai

george

In reply: What do you mean by "brass monkey"? I have never heard that term before.

It's dervied from an old British maritime saying:

When Lord Nelson (a very senior British sailor in his day) was sailing in his "Ship of the Line", a wooden warship, they had cannons and cannon balls. To stop the cannon balls from rolling around on deck they were held together in a 'monkey'. This was usually made from steel but, on shore-based establishments and for ceremonial purposes, the 'monkey' was made from polished brass. The cannon balls were stacked inside the monkey in the form of a pyramid. Sometimes, when the weather got particulaly cold, the brass-monkey contracted causing the metal cannon balls to cascade over the edge of the monkey. Hence the English expression, "To freeze the balls off a brass monkey".

I hope you now understand why we Brits call cold weather, brass monkey weather.

Children, please!

Being a long-time resident of northern Minnesota and now Wisconsin, I'm familiar with the hazards of cool temps and exposure to them. The snow arrives here in early November and stays until the end of March. Did a bit of winter camping myself back when I was young and foolish.

Hypothermia certainly doesn't require freezing temperatures to occur. All it really refers to actually is that heat is carried away from the body faster than your body can produce it. Exposed skin in a temp of 40-50 degrees F can be just as deadly. If your body can not keep pace with this heat loss, your core body temperature starts dropping and crazy stuff starts to happen. Your body reacts by restricting blood flow to the extremities and your head is an extremity in the eye of your body. Confusion and mild temporary dementia is the worst part. You can't think clearly as your brain temp drops into the low 90's and by the time your core body temp reaches the low to mid-80's body functions start failing. You can do the math, but with low single digits C it would be approximately 40 degrees F. If he was wet or had light clothing with exposed skin, it could easily be deadly over night.

Don't mean to sound disrespectful and my sympathies are with his family.

~WISteve

Too much to drink,falling asleep outdoor,temp drops down to about 0 C,not even those of us who are swedes always survive....

He's not the first,won't be the last,tragic anyway,fellow countryman as he was.

Still no need to look for conspiracies,a tragic death,that's all.

My sympathies of course to him and his family.

There's no accounting for all your un-sullied, un-qualified, insensitive remarks either!

How dare you speculate and make comment on a sudden death, the cause of which is not known! You all seem to get a rush from this Forum and can't wait to open your big traps! Pretty poor show people! Why not just go with the sympathy until the actual facts reveal themselves and realistically speaking that won't be until the Coroner hands down his finding. ROD.

Amazing: out of some odd 50 commentaries, this chap Rod sticks out like a sore thumb: it's the only intelligent comment about some poor guy, who did not choose to die in this way and all the rest of you chaps produced a lot of verbal diarehaa ! !

Makes you wonder what we're doing here, hey Rod ?!

Amazing: out of some odd 50 commentaries, this chap Rod sticks out like a sore thumb: it's the only intelligent comment about some poor guy, who did not choose to die in this way and all the rest of you chaps produced a lot of verbal diarehaa ! !

With your myopic vision and problems with counting, I'm wondering the same thing about you.... :o

Do you think this forum would have so many members if it read like an obituary ? An endless stream of condolences from 14,805 members.

The man is dead, I am not pleased about it, but being morose will not help him or his family now.

Get on with life and spread a bit of happiness.

With your myopic vision and problems with counting, I'm wondering the same thing about you.... :o

You know what they say... there aer 3 kinds opf people in the world ... those who can count and those who can't ... boom boom psssshh!

Swimmable rivers in Oregon? Maybe in August ... :D Thailand also as swimmable oceans... A bit briney, sure, but the fish are a heck of a lot prettier :D The hot springs are fabulous though :D Cold weather + hot springs = good time :D

Swimmable rivers in Oregon?  Maybe in August ...  :D  Thailand also as swimmable oceans...  A bit briney,  sure,  but the fish are a heck of a lot prettier  :D    The hot springs are fabulous though  :o    Cold weather + hot springs = good time    :D

Ever been to Macredie Hot Springs near Eugene? Fond memories of trudging half-naked through the snow to get there.... Sure right about the seas around Thailand. I really like the quite warm waters in the gulf, but the ocean off Oregon was waay too cold for me :D

Even though I was secretly from California, I still had a 'Don't Californicate Oregon' bumper sticker on my car... :D

In reply:  What do you mean by "brass monkey"? I have never heard that term before. 

It's dervied from an old British maritime saying:

When Lord Nelson (a very senior British sailor in his day) was sailing in his "Ship of the Line", a wooden warship, they had cannons and cannon balls. To stop the cannon balls from rolling around on deck they were held together in a 'monkey'. This was usually made from steel but, on shore-based establishments and for ceremonial purposes, the 'monkey' was made from polished brass.  The cannon balls were stacked inside the monkey in the form of a pyramid. Sometimes, when the weather got particulaly cold, the brass-monkey contracted causing the metal cannon balls to cascade over the edge of the monkey. Hence the English expression, "To freeze the balls off a brass monkey".

I hope you now understand why we Brits call cold weather, brass monkey weather.

Thank you very much. History is a love of mine and from time to time I have read about Lord Nelson. Out of all Naval history I find his time to be the most exciting. So, thank you! :o

I wonder if a refrigerator walked over to him and fell on him by accident and it closed its doors. Later on it must've burped and he came out and the fridge finally realized what it did, quickly went back to its normal spot, knowing no one will suspect the fridge.

Possible or not???

Daveyo

If there is any family member or friend of the 59 year old Swedish gentleman reading this, I apologise for the postings in this thread that are of the same category as the one above.

My condoleances!

Limbo.

It can be an Asian country but it does get cold in the mountains an I'm quite sure HYPOTHERMIA is the culprit,alcohol is not an anti-freeze for long duration of passing out drunk. So be careful you alcoholic guys get a warm body as your blanket in Chang Mai it's actually more cozy and comfortable and you'll wake up alive maybe with hangover but you can drink another night.

Observation: I have never heard of anyone dying of hyperthermia in Chiang Mai. Last week it never got below 18 degrees. Where I am from people sunbathe in these temperatures (sad I know but true). If it were easy to get hyperthermia here in CM with the amount of Whiskey that is drunk you would have them dropping like flies. Conclusion: The poor man died - but maybe not of hyperthermia.

(Obviously we all have sympathy for the poor man and his family.)

Observation: I have never heard of anyone dying of hyperthermia in Chiang Mai. Last week it never got below 18 degrees. Where I am from people sunbathe in these temperatures (sad I know but true). If it were easy to get hyperthermia here in CM with the amount of Whiskey that is drunk you would have them dropping like flies. Conclusion: The poor man died - but maybe not of hyperthermia.

(Obviously we all have sympathy for the poor man and his family.)

It did get below 18C . It was 12C a couple of nights ago according to the temp. reading on my shoe phone.(breath frosting outside!) I live approx. 10KM north of the city.

Alcohol will thin the blood and will therefore augment heat loss. I imagine that hyperthermia is not out of the question.

Children, please!

Being a long-time resident of northern Minnesota and now Wisconsin, I'm familiar with the hazards of cool temps and exposure to them.  The snow arrives here in early November and stays until the end of March.  Did a bit of winter camping myself back when I was young and foolish.

Hypothermia certainly doesn't require freezing temperatures to occur.  All it really refers to actually is that heat is carried away from the body faster than your body can produce it.  Exposed skin in a temp of 40-50 degrees F can be just as deadly.  If your body can not keep pace with this heat loss, your core body temperature starts dropping and crazy stuff starts to happen.  Your body reacts by restricting blood flow to the extremities and your head is an extremity in the eye of your body.  Confusion and mild temporary dementia is the worst part.  You can't think clearly as your brain temp drops into the low 90's and by the time your core body temp reaches the low to mid-80's body functions start failing.  You can do the math, but with low single digits C it would be approximately 40 degrees F.  If he was wet or had light clothing with exposed skin, it could easily be deadly over night.

Don't mean to sound disrespectful and my sympathies are with his family.

~WISteve

You are exactly right. Ihad lived and sailed the SanFrancisco Bay for many years. THe water in the Bay and outside the Golden Gate is 50 -55 F all year around (lot higher than freezing 32). Coast Guard official stats are that the people who fall off the watercraft and are not retrieved die from hypothermia within 20 min. on average. The idividual figures vary from person to person i.e. physical build and fitness, weight and... you guessd it, blood alcohol content has an adverse effect. Of course there is an important factor: when you are in the water, the body heat loss rate is a lot higher. In the air surroundings the ave. 20 mins. become more like a whole night. Anyway, my condolences to close ones of the Swede.