Mae Sai Recenty

toopeekaa 1

Anyone in the CM Forum been to Mae Sai recently and were they checking all, or some or none for the 20,000 Baht ?????

Ditto for when I was there about a month ago. I tried my best to wiggle my way out of it to no avail. The chap at the counter let me walk to the ATM on the Thai side of the border to get 10K. My recommendation would be to take this policy seriously.

Mae Sai Update...... Just returned about 2 hrs ago from a Mae Sai/Tachalek run.

There are signs posted as previously reported about the 10,000 / 20,000 baht requirements....

Upon inspection of my passport the officer asked me "you got money" to which I replied "yes" .... he looked at me and just stamped and Initialed the stamp and that was it....parked the car, to the bridge, stamped out, crossed into Myanmar, stamped in and out, returned to Mae Sai, stamped in and back in car .... 25 minutes..... For the record I am on a Non Imm B , Multiple

Left CM 5:45AM .... Back 2:15Pm with couple stops for gas and roadside goodies and of course the pie place

Happy Camper

Just as an aside to anyone going in the near future, the strawberries being sold between Chiang Rai and Mae Sai, the big, red, pretty ones are selling for 300B/P/K, with the smaller as little as 100B/P/K .... I recommend the smaller ones as they are sweeter and more real strawberry flavor...

Just as an aside to anyone going in the near future, the strawberries being sold between Chiang Rai and Mae Sai, the big, red, pretty ones are selling for 300B/P/K, with the smaller as little as 100B/P/K .... I recommend the smaller ones as they are sweeter and more real strawberry flavor...

I was in Mai Sai a couple of weeks ago, and all the ones (big and small) I tasted were definately lacking in flavor and sweetness, even among the reddest ones. Can't remember the price, but I remember thinking that they were too expensive... I'm used to paying well under 100 baht per kilo for the best and biggest, but of course they're going to be more expensive now, when there isn't much around yet. I'll try again in January :D

I haven't seen them around Mai Sai lately, but sometimes you'll find these absolutely delicious oranges around the markets... They are quite big, with an extra thick skin that is super easy to peel. Quite orange, no green. They say they're from Burma, and they ask 20 baht per kilo. Even when I've seen them around, they still seem a rare find... :o

I haven't seen them around Mai Sai lately, but sometimes you'll find these absolutely delicious oranges around the markets... They are quite big, with an extra thick skin that is super easy to peel. Quite orange, no green. They say they're from Burma, and they ask 20 baht per kilo. Even when I've seen them around, they still seem a rare find... :o

Are those the chinese oranges reported in the press recently,

with the chemicals to make them really orange................

Are those the chinese oranges reported in the press recently,

with the chemicals to make them really orange................

I don't think so, because I've only seen them being sold in small quanities in Mae Sai, and I've never seen these in Chiang Saen, where all the Chinese stuff is off-loaded and some sold along the docks...

Is the coloring dangerous? I haven't heard anything lately, but I think this coloring has also been done in the States... ?

Thanks for the head's up Astral. I will enquire further on the origin when I run across them again. I'm heading up to Mae Sai/Chiang Saen next week for NY gift fruit shopping, so I'll report back if I've gained any ground on my current clueless state... :D

I went yesterday on the CBR150. Left at 8:00, back at 3:30 (I ride fast and stop for almost nothing). Similar to the guy above, I parked under the bridge at the water, walked over, etc. The only big deal seemed to be the US$5, but as you leave Thailand, you pay 250 baht and get a $5 American bill. They accept it (and nothing else) in Myanmar. Zip, boom, and I'm back in Thailand. No, they didn't ask, but they easily could have (I have non-imm multi-entry B also). Last time they asked, 80 days before.

If you're poorly dressed, on a tourist visa for the umpteenth time, etc. - assume they'll ask. If you've got 20K stuffed in your pockets, but are straight up anyway, they probably won't ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from Mae Sai couple of days ago. They did indeed ask for the money, but showing my credit card convinced the officer (though probably it was not supposed to be enough proof). That, and perhaps that I wasn't dressed like a bum.

Still got detained for an hour, but for other reasons. :o

• 2 weeks later...

I was asked along with about half the others last Sunday, to show money. Same drill in December & November.

See separate thread about oranges from Burma.

Oranges in U.S. have been dyed to make them look nice for a long time. Little health risk unless you're making candied orange peels.

M

I was asked along with about half the others last Sunday, to show money.  Same drill in December & November.

See separate thread about oranges from Burma.

Oranges in U.S. have been dyed to make them look nice for a long time.  Little health risk unless you're making candied orange peels.

M

Mali, it looks like, from your post that you do the run monthly,.... this is what may be and probably is the cause for the individual checking. It seems that most with a longer term visa, or Non Imm, are the ones not being checked. If you plan on a stay for a longer period, it may be wise to look into getting some type of longer term and more appropiate visa, rather than just he 30 day. You will only have more and more problems in the future if you continue this monthly run.

Good points,

For a couple years I had non-imm visas. But the bust of a couple major travel agents put an end to that.

On the way back I sat next to a guy from Perth who told me it's very easy to get non-imm in Perth.

Trouble is, 20,000B airfare plus whatever gets spent on food and lodging, we soon reach a point of diminishing returns.

If the Thai gov't makes themselves too much of a pain in the butt, I guess I'll just leave.

And when we get a new king, all bets are off.

BTW, there's now a new Thai immigration form [arrival card ?]. A couple guys in our van made a few mistakes and were sent to the back of the queue.

Might be a good idea to take home a blank and fill it out carefully and neatly before you go.

What about the $5 American in exchange for 250Bt ??

Last time I checked, the US$ was 39 baht, meaning the Thai immigration dept/officials are pocketing 55 baht on every farang who wants an American fiver. But that goes without saying around Thailand.

Last time I checked, the US$ was 39 baht, meaning the Thai immigration dept/officials are pocketing 55 baht on every farang who wants an American fiver. But that goes without saying around Thailand.

So you're paying 55 baht for a service fee. The convenience of not having to go to the bank would make the loss of 55 baht seem just fine to me. Fair and reasonable, in my book.

If it bugs you, go to the bank and do the exchange yourself :o

Oh NO!!!!!! :D NoooOOOOOoooOOOOOOoooooooO!!!! :o

:D

Now Now Meadish, be not to hard on the laddie......may be in his blood.....

Now lets look at this now..... 55 Baht Spread

If the Imm Boys are desirous of seeing 20,000 Baht in hand on reentry then lets see 20,000 divided by 55 Baht per trip , that means in only 364 trips, you would have given the exchanger the 20,000 baht..... and one trip each 30 days, so 364 trips divided by 12 months per year..... lets see that means in only 30 very quick years you have the 20,000 paid for and its in their hands..... I think a deal may be able to be worked here for the 20,000 on the installment plan

:D

As I think I pointed out seveal weeks ago on another thread, the immigration officials are the winners, and the junta in Rangoon are the losers. I think that shows how desparate the Burmese generals are for hard American currency like greenbacks. Maybe the American administration is putting the economic screws to the ******************** regime in Myanmar.

Let's hear a round of applause for Aung San Suu Kyi.

Was there yesterday and caught by surprise about the 20k on reentering.

Luckily they didn't ask, maybe because I had checked the 80000+ box to make them feel good.

As leaving next time...."Pay your income tax bill at the next window" :D

:o

The old discussion. I believe the term Non-Thai Resident on the back of the entry form means Non-(Thai Resident), not (Non-Thai) Resident. Up to you. I pay taxes at home, not in Thailand.

Was there yesterday and caught by surprise about the 20k on reentering.

Luckily they didn't ask, maybe because I had checked the 80000+ box to make them feel good.

As leaving next time...."Pay your income tax bill at the next window" :D

:o

The old discussion. I believe the term Non-Thai Resident on the back of the entry form means Non-(Thai Resident), not (Non-Thai) Resident. Up to you. I pay taxes at home, not in Thailand.

It was only a joke :D

The "tax income form" is for people who stay here longer as 90 days in a row. As the most people check-out every 90-days this not include them.

Chang Noi.

I left that bit of the form blank last time I came in as I am

Non Thai and Non Resident.

I only have a "temporary visa to stay in Thailand", albeit 1 year at a time.

I cannot see myself ever getting the residence permit.

So you're paying 55 baht for a service fee. The convenience of not having to go to the bank would make the loss of 55 baht seem just fine to me. Fair and reasonable, in my book.

Hang on a minute?

I don't remember anything about the Thai Immigration being involved in the $5 deal?

This is the Burmese immigration exacting their own tax.

The used to accept 250 baht instead of $5, now they only accept $, and

apparently have someone "recycling" the dollars?

Hang on a minute?

I don't remember anything about the Thai Immigration being involved in the $5 deal?

This is the Burmese immigration exacting their own tax.

The used to accept 250 baht instead of $5, now they only accept $, and

apparently have someone "recycling" the dollars?

Astral, your last sentence ends with a question mark, but does it apply to the whole sentence? If Burmese Immigration formerly accepted 250 baht when it was 40 to the dollar, that's over US$6. Now they accept US$5 bills - ONLY - which the Thai immigration officer behind the glass window at the passport booth in Thailand is selling for 250 baht. It still costs us farang 250 baht, and the silly little green paper is hardly even currency at that point; it's a token paper. I have a great token story.....from Mexico. Two, in fact.

I only suspect that the junta's generals are recycling those $5 bills to buy something that the oppressive govt. of Myanmar needs to buy.

I was up at Mae sai the other day and after an hour of uninspired dvd shopping, I decided to return to the border. I filled the new immgration form ( my passport had the old one ) and promptly checked the no income box. I thought about checking under $20K or over 80K but for some reason no income vibed with none of your business. Went to the window, not checked for the 20K baht or asked anything. Highlight was a delicious bowl of korfoon (sp?) that the locals told me you can only get in mae sai. Does anyone know about this dish? It seems to have cheese in it.............

• 2 weeks later...

If you ask me the Thais aren't that smart, if they would just charge $5 to have you check in so they know where you are and give you your visa stamp at Immigrations by the CM airport they could screw the Burmese out of all those $5 stamps they give for all the visa runners and keep the money in Thailand.