A Real Problem...

Niloc

This is not related to my laptop problem.

I had a guy build me a desktop a couple of years ago, it is a 64 bit system and has the 64 but version of Ubuntu. He dual booted it with Win XP and it worked great. I realised that I had lots of space on the HD and juggled it around so there was more on the Ubuntu partition and in the process lost my XP, it is still there, I can see it with gParted but it will not boot, actually it does boot but then goes into 'the blue screen of death'. I have played around with Grub but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas??

I can post menu.lst and anything else but how do I get around the BSofD??

I would guess that GRUB has nothing to do with this, BSOD is more usually related to Windows drivers being corrupted or unavailable, can you boot the partition into Windows safe mode?

Actually this might be related your laptop question because if you used gParted instead of a Windows partition manager then it possibly mangled your XP install while it was resizing the partition(s).

I think the normal solution is to use an XP install disk to run the recovery options or console or whatever it is called, IIRC it is an option when you boot from a Windows installation CD.

Doing that will overwrite the Master Boot Record (MBR) section of the disk because XP insists on being the only OS on a system so you will temporarily lose the Ubuntu boot option, although the Ubuntu installation will still be there.

Once Windows is up and running again use the Ubuntu CD to re-install the GRUB.