A Hum Dinnger

mrt273nva

So I finally got my internet going perfectly in ubuntu by switching my wireless adapter and a week later my apartment decided to change the connection from just accepting a mac address from the adapter to now requiring the fashionable login with password through the web browser.

in windows this has no problem and the internet works flawlessly, but in ubuntu i can't do anything through port 80 (synaptic and updates all use port 80 as well). to confuse me even further i can use other ports with other programs such as pigeon, skype, thunderbird (all of which work fine). using 3 separate browsers in ubuntu all configured the same way as i have in windows (no proxy or auto detect proxy) however nothing will connect to the web. i can't figure out what the cause would be.

does anyone know if i can redirect my web browser through another port to connect to the web without inputting a proxy?

So I finally got my internet going perfectly in ubuntu by switching my wireless adapter and a week later my apartment decided to change the connection from just accepting a mac address from the adapter to now requiring the fashionable login with password through the web browser.

in windows this has no problem and the internet works flawlessly, but in ubuntu i can't do anything through port 80 (synaptic and updates all use port 80 as well). to confuse me even further i can use other ports with other programs such as pigeon, skype, thunderbird (all of which work fine). using 3 separate browsers in ubuntu all configured the same way as i have in windows (no proxy or auto detect proxy) however nothing will connect to the web. i can't figure out what the cause would be.

does anyone know if i can redirect my web browser through another port to connect to the web without inputting a proxy?

get you own internet.

or get a gongle and steal some wireless from elsewhere.

port 80 is http. I dont understand why you cant use it. Its not because of your apartment... surely?

I dont think thats the problem. Try a command line call using port 80. The problem will be in your settings somewhere. I may be wrong but cant yet see why this is because of problems with port 80. Unless you suddenly wrote some bad rules in iptables.

Edited by OxfordWill

port 80 is http. I dont understand why you cant use it. Its not because of your apartment... surely?

I dont think thats the problem. Try a command line call using port 80. The problem will be in your settings somewhere. I may be wrong but cant yet see why this is because of problems with port 80. Unless you suddenly wrote some bad rules in iptables.

booting from the CD has the same results. it is very strange and i can't figure out why port 80 would be working fine in windows and not in linux unless it was my setup, however everything was working fine until the apartment decided to update their system. Their IT support was worthless since they have never seen a linux OS before.

What is your reason for saying its a port 80 problem.

because everything else works including https, port 110 is fine, i can send and recieve emails. http does not work. synaptic, updates, aptitude all don't work and fail when they try to connect to a server using port 80.

to make matters more complicated i tried mandriva today and have the same results. i know that it is my network, this problem began when they changed their system. they don't know how to fix it though. i am curious now if they would let me have a look at their router.

try running under a different (new) user and see if it still persists.

i tried mandriva, a totally different distribution and the problem is the same. i'm guessing now that the server is using microsoft protocols of some sort. i would really like to have a look at their router and server to see if there is some setting.

i would really like to have a look at their router and server to see if there is some setting.

What is the output of running ipconfig /all in windows when connected and running ifconfig in ubuntu?

Also try typing dhcpcd 'wireless interface name' in a terminal window with root privileges.

here is the ipconfig information in windows. i'll have to do a reboot to switch into ubuntu for you but i don't have much time until tomorrow. (i added some "*" symbols to maintain a bit of security concerning my mac addresses)

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : *****

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : yodnam.com

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : yodnam.com

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : RT73 USB Wireless LAN Card