Wireless 802.11n Or Draft N

PattayaDavid

I have a D-Link Model DSL-2740B Rangebooster N ADSL2/2+ Modem Router.  It is supposed to support 802.11n draft wireless connections of up to a maximum of 270 MBPS versus 54 MBPS for 802-11G wireless.  Of course, I don't expect it to reach the maximum transfer speed, particularly here in Thaiand, however I would expect it to produce results better than the 54 MBPS rate for 802-11G.

I first tried it on my ThinkPad T61 which incorporates Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN.  When connected, it shows a speed of 54MBPS (802-11G) instead of higher wireless 802-11n speeds.  I've upgraded my router to the latest firmware and have tried different configurations with no improvement in performance.  One think I have noted is that when I make an on-line configuration change to my router configuration then select "apply", immediately my ThinkPad rate changes to 150 MBPS momentarily then my connection is lost (to be expected as the router changes are being implemented), followed by reconnection of wireless signal only to return at 54 MBPS again.

I also have an older ThinkPad model without built-in wireless capability so I purchased a Belkin wireless 802.11n USB adapter to connect to my router.  Again, the maximum connection is at 54 MBPS.  When I repeat configuration changes to my router as I did above, my ThinkPad connection momentarily changes to only 1 MBPS instead of 150 MBPS as in my other T61 ThinkPad then reverts back to 54 MBPS once the configuration changes have been completed.

Has anyone successfully used wireless 802.11n successfully at the higher transfer rates (above 54 MBPS)?  Is it possible that my TOT Goldcyber connection speed is artificially limited?  I notice that my rated speed for my desktop computer connected to my same D-Link DSL-2740B only indicates a rated speed of 100 MBPS.  I use Vista Home Premium 64-bit on my destop, Vista Home Premium 32-bit on my ThinkPad T61, but us Windows XP Professional on my older ThinkPad.

I feel that my problem is either with my ADSL carrier (TOT) or compatibility with my D-Link DSL-2740B Modem Router and my ThinkPad T61 internal wireless card and/or Belkin wireless n USB adapter.  IT-City is letting me swap out the Belkin USB for the D-Link Rangebooster n DWA-140 USB adapter next week when they restock.  The only other think that I can think of is that wireless n just doesn't work in Thailand and that maybe I should just stick with wireless G and go with a higher powered wireless USB model such as the business rated EmGenius EUB 362 EXT.  Has anyone used this model and had good success with it; I've heard that it is a long range model and has the capability of reaching 108 MBPS through some sort of magic?

Looking forward to reading your replies and possible solution.

Pattayadavid

Edited by PattayaDavid

Those speeds are on the LAN side of the connection and won't make any difference in the overall speed - WAN.

Now I'm confused.  If the speed from my router to my desktop through an ethernet connection is rated at 100 MBPS, but my wireless connection from my router to my notebook is rated at 54 MBPS, wouldn't that constitute a transfer speed difference, at least theoretically?

Those speeds are on the LAN side of the connection and won't make any difference in the overall speed - WAN.

Now I'm confused.  If the speed from my router to my desktop through an ethernet connection is rated at 100 MBPS, but my wireless connection from my router to my notebook is rated at 54 MBPS, wouldn't that constitute a transfer speed difference, at least theoretically?

Ok, your connection to the rest of the world is at your router. Say your connection is 512/256, Ok, so far?

That 512/256 is the fastest your overall connection will ever be to a website, Ok...? The WAN side.

The higher speeds are the LAN side. The connection speeds from the PC's to router only.

So, your LAN side will be faster than your WAN side, but the overall speed to connecting to the rest of the world is still

whatever the WAN side is. Hope this helps you understand. Also, the hard cable ethernet connections are typically 100Mbps.

Some wireless routers (newer standard;G, Super G) are rated at over 100Mbs. BUT, the intel wireless chipset talking back

to it is still only 54 Mbps (The one in your laptop/notebook). So, the connection will only be as fast as the slowest link.

Digitele

Ok, your connection to the rest of the world is at your router. Say your connection is 512/256, Ok, so far?

That 512/256 is the fastest your overall connection will ever be to a website, Ok...? The WAN side.

The higher speeds are the LAN side. The connection speeds from the PC's to router only.

So, your LAN side will be faster than your WAN side, but the overall speed to connecting to the rest of the world is still

whatever the WAN side is. Hope this helps you understand. Also, the hard cable ethernet connections are typically 100Mbps.

Some wireless routers (newer standard;G, Super G) are rated at over 100Mbs. BUT, the intel wireless chipset talking back

to it is still only 54 Mbps (The one in your laptop/notebook). So, the connection will only be as fast as the slowest link.

Digitele

Yeah, I follow your explanation above, however my notebooks intel wireless chipset is 802.11B/G/N capable so although G provides a maximum of 54 MBPS, N is rated at up to 270 MBPS at 5.0 GHz and at 130Mbps at 2.4 Ghz.  Below are a couple of posts that I have extracted from the Lenovo Forum and before you ask, I have addressed my problem on that forum also, but have yet to receive a response.

"Given the response from others that they have been able to get the 802.11n working on the WRT600N, I reset the router and started again. I am now able to connect at 270Mbps using 5.0 GHz and at 130Mbps at 2.4 GHz."

"I found that the WRT600N was finicky in that it advertised 5GHz but did not give me 300Mb - only 270. However, my 4965AGN gave me 300Mb. The primary issue today for all 5GHz devices is that the FCC limits the output power of 5GHz. U cannot get a signal for 300Mb further than 30 feet or so. Past that, it drops like the rock. For best balance of bandwidth and distance, you can only use 2.4GHz in N only mode for 130Mbps."

Thanks for your interest and help.