Lee Kum Kee - Sriracha Chili Sauce

NewGuy

Hi All,

I brought a plastic bottle of this stuff here from a Macau grocery store a couple of years ago and now I'm almost all out. I use it as a dipping sauce for dim sum (siu mai, har gow, bbq pork buns etc). For me it's one of the essential food groups; you get it at all Canadian Chinese dim sum places, this bottle is actually made in the States. I'm more used to a same tasting sauce that has a rooster on the label. Although it's name suggests a sweet fairly mild chili condiment the Chinese Sriracha sauce isn't too sweet and the chili really kicks.

I can't find any here in Pattaya; is any available in Bangkok - I'll be going there on Monday?

Hmm?

Thanks,

NewGuy

I have noticed this also, that the Sriracha sauce labels are different in Thailand the US (your case Canada). However, I have found the sauce with a different label that tastes the same to me. Try Carrefour. I am out right now so can't tell you the exact Thai brand. I think there are other Lee Kum Kee products here, but I don't recall seeing a Sriracha.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks Jingthing; I've got some foil-packed dried sauce mixes and lots of jarred black bean, chili, hoisin etc (probably 10 in all). The various grocery stores seem to carry about half of the Lee Kum Kee line. But Chinese-style Sriracha is what I'm hunting down. The many Thai versions just don't cut it for dim sum. Much too sweet.

I take your point. You might try to contact the manufacturer and ask where you can find in Thailand.

Thats interesting that you like Sriracha with dim sum. Is that common in Canada. In my experience, the usual options are vinegar, Chinese mustard, soy sauce, and a red chili oil presented in a non-labeled glass container that is filled with whole red chili flakes (I like this a lot). Just wondering, the chunky chili oil I am talking about you don't see at Chinese restaurants in Thailand. Do you think the restaurants make this stuff themselves?

Edited by Jingthing

We get juilenned fresh ginger in red vinegar, Chinese-style sriracha, mustard (pretty much like what's made from English mustard powder), dark soy, sometimes a chili oil, maybe other stuff. I find Thai Chinese food, even in Yawarat restauarants, isn't all that like Canada, Macau, Hong Kong and various Chinese cities. Of course, China Chinese food is quite different is preparation and scope than what we get in Canada. Oh well, maybe I'll luck out.

Groongthep - you da poster!

I've got the first pictured bottle, with only a drip left. But the second pic, the "Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce", is definately the one to have. Any to spare, ha ha?

Where can I get one or both in Bangkok?

In Los Angeles, I lived about 2 miles away from the Lee Kum Kee (USA) factory/office. Lee Kum Kee USA website

While Lee Kum Kee's sauces are great (especially their chili garlic, black bean and hoisin sauces), for sriracha and sambal oelek, I always used Hoy Fong Foods, made in Rosemead, about 15 miles west of Lee Kum's factory. Hoy Fong website

Groongthep - you da poster!

I've got the first pictured bottle, with only a drip left. But the second pic, the "Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce", is definately the one to have. Any to spare, ha ha?

Where can I get one or both in Bangkok?

Unfortunately, I can't remember ever seeing either brand in Bangkok. Like zaphodbeeblebrox pointed out, neither are made in Thailand. The local (and I assume original) brand is very common though and can be found in almost all supermarkets.

It's sold under the ซอสศรีราชาพานิช (sot si racha panit) brand name. It too is good on egg dishes, but I prefer the Huy Fong and Lee Kum Kee brands myself.

Here's a picture of the most popular local brand of SriRacha sauce. I'm sure you've seen it before.

img249797859.jpg

Edited by Groongthep

zaphodbeeblebrox's got noses for culinary location.

Imagine my surprise when I was first in Sri Racha and found out what its name sake sauce tastes like. I'll certainly pick up a bottle of Sriraja Panich. Can't remember if I've had it.

Last night I scored the fat on some duck breasts, marinated them in a mixture of two Lee Kum Kee sauces, Chu Chow Chili Oil and Hoisin, and grilled them for 11 minutes in my Imarflex convection oven. Tasty!

You know, I bet what I'm looking for might be found in a Vietnamese grocery store. Where do they cluster in Bangkok?