Mailing Video Discs

lordofdelusion

Because the upload speed here is so painfully slow, I sent a disc back to the US with videos of my daughter. It arrived blank. ?? I am sure it wasn't when I sent it as I checked out the discs before mailing. Does customs screen this with something that could have erased the disc? Anybody else have this happen? If that is the case, what to do about it??

Actually, I've had similar problems mailing DVD-Rs to the UK, definately Ok when they left me, 'blank' (or at least unreadable) when they arrive :o

I don't send often as it's easier/quicker to FTP to a server in the UK for my parents to download.

Highly unlikely that an airport scanner will erase the content of a burned CD.

I suspect on your CD was indeed information but wrongly written to disk, but as some posters mention here, it has also something to do with the codec.

There are many many reasons why a disk containing information gives the impression the disk is blank!

To be on the save side you should use a program like ConvertXto DVD or something similar. ConvertX (there might be freeware available) will include the codec needed and "make sure" your disk will play in the other parties player. You might also have used the wrong media. Some brands will give you real headache some brands will act as smooth as silk.

Edited by webfact

Codecs?? FTP?? Now I need more info. yes, I'm sure there was something on it when it left. Feel better knowing that someone else had that problem too.

You need to tell us the source of the video and how you transferred it to DVD.

i.e brand name and model and name of software used.

The source was a Sanyo HD video recorder onto an SD card. The content was loaded on to my computer and transferred to CD. The disc was mailed not taken through the airport.

A second disc I sent to another family member had content but after viewing a short while, she got a message saying her computer was shutting down? I hope I didn't send some virus.