Bid To Tidy Up Bangkok Phone Booths

george

Bid to tidy up phone booths

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has begun an effort to tidy up public telephone booths following complaints that many of them are obstructing human traffic on footpaths.

Bangkok governor Apirak Kosayodhin, his deputy Samart Ratchapolsitte and city officials yesterday visited Watthana district to inspect telephone booths along Soi Thonglor, or Sukhumvit Soi 55, as well as in front of Thonglor police station.

The officials were accompanied by executives of public telephone service providers TOT Corp, CAT Telecom and True Corp.

Mr Apirak said the campaign to tidy up the booths would begin in Watthana because the district had more than 1,500 telephone booths.

Following discussions with concerned officials and service providers, regulations have been agreed upon for the installation of phone booths.

All providers say their booths will adhere to the regulations by Dec 31.

Under the regulations, public phone booths must not block traffic or entrances and exits of buildings.

The phone booths must not be installed permanently on footpaths around important locations, or on sewer covers or in space reserved for public activities.

--Bangkok Post 2004-12-12

One mans obstruction is another mans good advertising .... 

Only too true. Have you noticed these red and yellow double phone boothes set up many months ago? They are every where along New Petchburi Road (and probably other places) and are used to advertise Liptons or whatever. I have never seen a telephone installed in any of these boothes.

They are not even fixed to the pavement. During the rain season I saw 2 or 3 of blow over on to the road obstructing the traffic.

All providers say their booths will adhere to the regulations by Dec 31.

Under the regulations, public phone booths must not block traffic or entrances and exits of buildings.

The phone booths must not be installed permanently on footpaths around important locations, or on sewer covers or in space reserved for public activities.

Do "public activities" include us poor pedestrians trying to walk on the footpaths?

• 2 weeks later...
BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has begun an effort to tidy up public telephone booths following complaints that many of them are obstructing human traffic on footpaths.

Seems to me it's it the slow speed of the human traffic that blocks human traffic?

What good is a phone booth next to a 6-lane highway anyway ? On the few occassions I've needed to use one I couldn't hear a ###### thing because of the traffic !

They are not even fixed to the pavement. During the rain season I saw 2 or 3 of blow over on to the road obstructing the traffic.

That's pretty funny...see, they do have a function :o

The telephone boots is only minor problems, the 2 main problems are airpollution and traffic.

1) The Government are engaraging using NGV, When public buses will convert to NGV, the air in Bangkok are much fresher.

2) Bulit more fly over in junction or dig some under bypass to avoid waiting traffic lights, I notice that the time for traffic can reduce shorter and this may help to ease the traffic jam.

3)The telephone boots don't block as the street vendors .

Got no problem with the phone boxes; at least they are stationary. What about the motorcycle taxies and uhh, police motorcycles :o using the foot paths as extra lanes :D . Still love this country though, safe sidewalks or not :D . Better a dangerous sidewalk than a mugger in the park.

Edited by mbkudu

The dead line is up tomorrow.

Is the job finished................ or even started????

Don't you think they've got other problems to sort out first? :o

Not in Bangkok............

If it not high priority, then why set a deadline at all?????????????

why not get rid of all the shit that are on footpaths in bangkok :D

telephone booths, traffic signs, food stalls power poles, motor bike taxi stands, pot holes, motor bike traffic,..do i need to go on :D

guess as usual that that will never happen :D

Don't you think they've got other problems to sort out first? <_<

telephone booths, traffic signs, food stalls power poles, motor bike taxi stands, pot holes, motor bike traffic,..do i need to go on :o

So very true. It is lots more than the bloody unused phone boxes.

It would be a good idea to start with that florist / fruit seller at the corner of Sukh Soi 33. Whatever space left is taken over by Japanese housewives gawking at his flowers and forcing pedestrians to step on to the road and risk getting run over. :o

Don't you think they've got other problems to sort out first? :o

telephone booths, traffic signs, food stalls power poles, motor bike taxi stands, pot holes, motor bike traffic,..do i need to go on :D

So very true. It is lots more than the bloody unused phone boxes.

update...nothing has happend....except i see now more of the twin style open phone booths....soon internet booths will follow :D

glad i drive a car :D

It would be a good idea to start with that florist / fruit seller at the corner of Sukh Soi 33. Whatever space left is taken over by Japanese housewives gawking at his flowers and forcing pedestrians to step on to the road and risk getting run over.  :o

Is that the one next door to Villa Supermarket? If it is, I used to come out of there - the supermarket - with both hands carrying shopping bags - and found it very difficult getting past that place.

It would be a good idea to start with that florist / fruit seller at the corner of Sukh Soi 33. Whatever space left is taken over by Japanese housewives gawking at his flowers and forcing pedestrians to step on to the road and risk getting run over.  :o

Is that the one next door to Villa Supermarket? If it is, I used to come out of there - the supermarket - with both hands carrying shopping bags - and found it very difficult getting past that place.

Life can be a trial :D

Thats the one.