Samsung I900 Omnia

Fun2Fun

Omnia general description:

Samsung OMNIA is a Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional smartphone with 3.2" WQVGA display and TouchWiz personalization for the interface. It is designed as both high-end smartphone and multimedia-friendly device, supporting DivX and XviD straight out of the box and featuring a 5-megapixel camera with face and smile detection. It is quad-band GSM with HSDPA support and integrated WiFi and GPS.

Samsung Omnia Official Site

The review is based on the Asian/Thai 8GB version but updated with the latest DXHK1 ROM.

(Verizon is also releasing a US version of Omnia any day now)

Included in the package in Thailand are:

- Charger

- Car charger

- Dashboard holder

- 1GB memory card and shdc micro converter card

- Microphone/3.5 jack converter cable.

- Headphones

- Route 66 GPS navigation software

- Stylus

At the time of chosing the Samsung Omnia the other considered alternatives were Iphone 3G, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 and here is a short breakdown.

Iphone 3G

From reading reviews and looking at pictures the Iphone was my first favorite choice.

But due to its physical size, low quality camera and most importantly of all Apples insistence on controlling each and every aspect of its use and what programs can be installed turn me off it again.

HTC Diamond

Liked its design, small size, VGA resolution and the TouchFlo interface but it disqualified itself by not having a memory card slot, low battery capacity and that a 2.8" screen is a little bit small for such a device.

HTC Touch PRO

Liked the slide-out keyboard, VGA resolution and the screen size was more usable due to the physical slide-out keyboard which did not "steal" any screen realestate as opposed to on-screen keyboards.

But in the end i found its physical dimensions to be a bit awkward and not very pocket friendly.

HTC Touch HD

Was never a valid alternative since it was only rumored at that time and is not available in Thailand yet.

Sony Ericsson Xperia X1

Was also an early favorite choice but is still not available for purchase in Thailand.

Samsung Omnia

Liked its size and looks, 3.2" screen, 5MP Camera with flash, touch friendly landscape on-screen keyboard with vibrating feedback and that all applications could be used in portrait and landscape.

Was not blown away by it though due to a slightly "plasticky" feel, the wqvga resolution and some functions which was not as smooth as wanted.

In the end i still did go for the Samsung Omnia since it seemed to present the best mix of qualities at the time.

Now after having used it for more than 2 months i actually have started to like it more and more which is mostly due to all the improvements in the newer ROM versions, customization via 3 party software and that its been very stable and reliable in use.

I have found that for Omnia the ROM version used and also correct screen calibration is essential for getting a good user experience.

Here are some ROMS which have been fairly ok: DXHJ1, DXHj5, DXHJ6, DXHJ9 and DXHK1.

After a ROM update always do a full hard reset.

Screen calibration tip to improve precision and screen sensitivity:

1. Put the phone on the table so it is parallel to the ground (just do it)

2. Get your eyes above the screen but from a distance at 30-40 cm (this is very important)

3. Enter screen alignment menu

4. Use some sharp object to calibrate and not the stylus

5. Calibrate

The DXHK1 ROM have an improved Touch Player, Improved a-gps with new settings/options, a working, but still "hidden", Silverinbox (touch friendly unified sms,mms,email inteface) and misc. bug fixes.

Phone:

As a phone Omnia works very well, sounds during calls are excellent both ways, it works fairly well as a speaker phone, it rings fairly loud and it lays well in the hand and slips easily in a pocket.

Ui/Navigation:

Samsung uses its own "overlay" TouchWiz ui interface to make Windows Mobile more touch friendly.

It consist of a "widget" start screen and touch optimized menus and applications.

There is actually an option of 3 different start screens, the widget interface , samsung today 1 and 2.

The widget interface is a drag-and drop solution where you can place "widgets" anywhere on your home screen.

Samsung 1 is a standard front page with time and touch friendly direct links to various applications, settings and menues.

Samsung 2 is a start page with 3 tabbed "sub-pages" for programs, settings and contacts.

Popular alternatives is SPB Mobile shell with this skin pack or Manilla 2D.

In addition to the touch screen you have a clickable navigation "pad" which can also be used as a "mouse" pad much in the same way as on a laptop.

GPS

GPS is sometimes slow to get a fix, but when its got it it works very good and the included Route 66 navigation program and maps works great in Thailand.

Media

Radio: FM RDS Radio

Audio: MP3, AAC, AAC+, WMA, OGG, AMR

Video: Divx, Xvid, MP4, WMV, H.263, H.264

Omnia have 2 media players included, the standard Windows Media Player and Samsungs Touch Player.

Both works ok and without hitches but if you want even more codec support or just a different media player with more options there are many choices for instance like: CorePlayer, Tcpmp, Pocket Player, Pocket Tunes, Kinoma Play, Mort Player, S2P and more..

The included headphones are actually ok sound wise, but Omnia has very good sound quality so it definitely is worth it to get some better headphones to use with it.

Samsung has "capped" the sound volume out for headphones so for some of the more demanding headphones the volume will be ta bit low , this can be fixed by doing the following:

Open the phone pad and type in: *#0002*28346#

This will open the master sound/volume settings for the device and here you can adjust close to all levels individually inc. headphones out. (remember to select "save" in the menu after having done any changes or else they will not be set)

Surfing:

Omnia comes with a custom version of Opera Mobile 9.5 which works very well.

Since this version only comes with Flash lite 2.1 it does not support all Flash content out of the box, but there are available version using Flash Lite 3.1 which can be used instead to get full flash support.

But be aware that if you chose to use Flash Lite 3.1 the Samsung Widgets will not work anymore since they require Flash Lite 2.1.

Camera:

The camera interface is very user friendly and under good light conditions you get very good pictures.

For darker light conditions the amount of noise in the pictures does rise a bit.

The flash function is just ok and in most instances i have found that setting it to macro mode when taking picture of people in the dark works better. (In standard mode the flash light is very bright and washes out the pictures a bit if the object is not far away, while in macro mode the flash is not so bright so the colors gets a bit better)

If you have an Omnia and are not "happy" about the picture quality, here are 2 tips for improving it.

1. Update to a newer ROM version and also hard reset your Omnia after the ROM update is finished.

2. Open the phone pad and type in: * # 2470 #

After having done this the phone will do a camera update so do not turn it off for the next 2 minutes.

Conclusion:

Samsung Omnia is my first Windows Mobile powered device, and as such its been a very good experience.

Its fast, touch friendly, easy to use, i can add close to any extra function i want through 3 party software and despite being a Windows Mobile phone i do not need to use a stylus at all.

It has been stable and have worked great as a phone, it lasts a few days for every charge and it has connected easily to both GRPS/EDGE and WI-FI. (Never tried 3G).

Due to Windows Mobile it does need a reset now and then but it does not happen often.

Its not perfect though, it would be even better if it had a metallic body, higher resolution (like Wvga) and an additional connector so you could charge it and listen to music at the same time, but all in all its a very good mobile which does most functions very well and at the same time fits easily in your pocket.

You can also find more info and a detailed comparative review against Apple Iphone 3G and HTC Diamond here >>

Edited by Fun2Fun

Great info, thanks.

My ROM version is DXHG3. Is that an older version and do I need to update? If yes, how do I update the ROM?

My camera is next to useless, I was unable to make one single clear shot. All pictures are kind of blurred. I cleaned the lens, though.

My previous phone as a Treo 650 and I miss the simplicity of the Palm OS. Just compare this:

How many steps to turn off the ring sound under Windows and in the Treo650?

Treo650: 1 step

Windows (Phone is locked): 5

ok, that's Windows, not Samsung.

And then, what is this feature of Windows Mobile to never actually stop a program? Totally stupid. Ever so often I have t dig deep into the system utilities and actually stop some programs or I get the error message: Insufficient memory to run this program.

But there is hope. I read that Treo has decided to continue developing Palm OS and we can expect a new version in mid 2009.

My ROM version is DXHG3. Is that an older version and do I need to update? If yes, how do I update the ROM?

That is a very old ROM and you should definitely update it.

You will find some more ROM info here , here and here

Remember to backup your data, all data saved on the internal hard drive is lost when you update the ROM.

My camera is next to useless, I was unable to make one single clear shot. All pictures are kind of blurred. I cleaned the lens, though.

Update to a new ROM version and after the update also do a hard reset. (settings >> system >> hard reset)

After you have done all this you can also run this code on your phone pad: * # 2470 # and follow the onscreen instructions.

Also a small tip to make it easier to not move the camera while taking pictures is to use the d-pad button to take pictures instead of the camera button.

Here , here and here you can see examples of the quality of pictures you should be getting with your Omnia.

My previous phone as a Treo 650 and I miss the simplicity of the Palm OS. Just compare this:

How many steps to turn off the ring sound under Windows and in the Treo650?

Treo650: 1 step

Windows (Phone is locked): 5

ok, that's Windows, not Samsung.

On Omnia it can be easily done in one click on the widget screen, by using the volume buttons on the side or simply by placing the phone screen down on the table.

And then, what is this feature of Windows Mobile to never actually stop a program? Totally stupid. Ever so often I have t dig deep into the system utilities and actually stop some programs or I get the error message: Insufficient memory to run this program.

On the Omnia you do not have to "dig" in to close apps, simply drag your finger from the bottom of the screen and up and a bottom tray with all the running applications will show, you can then choose to use another one by clicking on it, close just one or close all in an easy and finger friendly way.

You can also get a "x" which really close the apps too by installing 3 party software like for instance: Magic Button or WisBar Advance3

In regards to extra software i would also recommend to get something like MemMaid for any Windows Mobile based phone, its an app which lets you optimize the speed of your phone and gives you easy memory management and clean up.

Edited by Fun2Fun

Thanks for the in depth review & tweeks for the phone . Our neighbor bought his in England last month. He ditched his Iphone-it got bricked after unlocking & installing the update. he & 3 other friends said the I phone was super over rated. The Omnia looks like what I am going to get. The tech reviews put it over Blackberrys line. & the minor gripes were far outweighed by the advantages. I like the hard case they give as well.

Thanks for the informative post!

Barry

Thanks Fun2Fun, for your very useful tips.

I have one major problem with Windows Mobile on my PC. I am unable to back-up (sync) my data from the Samsung Omnia to my PC. I did install Windows Mobile on the PC (PC runs Vista), but when I try to sync, I get the message "Outlook has not been installed". As far as I could ascertain, there is no Outlook program for Vista. So I am stuck.

Can I simply copy my data files (in particular the Contacts) from the Omnia to my PC, and would you know which file on the Omnia contains the Contacts?

Thank for any help you can provide.

Edited by dominique355

I have one major problem with Windows Mobile on my PC. I am unable to back-up (sync) my data from the Samsung Omnia to my PC. I did install Windows Mobile on the PC (PC runs Vista), but when I try to sync, I get the message "Outlook has not been installed". As far as I could ascertain, there is no Outlook program for Vista. So I am stuck.

Can I simply copy my data files (in particular the Contacts) from the Omnia to my PC, and would you know which file on the Omnia contains the Contacts?

Vista only comes with a basic email client so you will also need the complete MS Office Package which includes the full version of Outlook.

Alternatively you can get a backup program for your mobil which lets you make a backup on the memory card, so you do not need to connect to a PC at all.

Some examples: Sprite Backup, SPB Backup or PIM Backup

Edited by Fun2Fun

What do you mean, no Outlook program for Vista?  Outlook is part of the Microsoft Office Suite which you can purchase here in Thailand either in the original version or pirated version.  I use Outlook extensively for my email on both my desktop (Vista Home 64-bit) and my notebook (Vista Home 32-bit) with no problems.  Also, Outlook was not included in Windows XP either; Windows XP included a slimmed down version called Outlook Express, not the same thing.  Get yourself a copy of Microsoft Office and if you don't want to install the full suite, do a custom install of Outlook only.

Conclusion:

It has been stable and have worked great as a phone, it lasts a few days for every charge and it has connected easily to both GRPS/EDGE and WI-FI. (Never tried 3G).

Its not perfect though, it would be even better if it had a metallic body, higher resolution (like Wvga) and an additional connector so you could charge it and listen to music at the same time, but all in all its a very good mobile which does most functions very well and at the same time fits easily in your pocket.

Very helpful review of he Omnia.  I agree with your asertions that it is not perfect.  I too, would like to have seen it produced in a metallic body, higher resolution display and also non-proprietary connectors to list a few quirks.  I don't yet have an Omnia, but have been reading reviews and watching introductory Youtube videos of it since it was first announced.  I'm waiting for the initial sales shock in Thailand to subside and the prices begin to drop and stabilize before making a purchase.

One question I do have; with all of the available functions, GPRS/EDGE, WI-FI, GPS, what would be your recommedation as to best service package plan to sign-up for that would be both productive and provide the most bang for the buck?  Do you need a monthly subscription service or can you sign-up for a good prepaid plan?

One question I do have; with all of the available functions, GPRS/EDGE, WI-FI, GPS, what would be your recommedation as to best service package plan to sign-up for that would be both productive and provide the most bang for the buck? Do you need a monthly subscription service or can you sign-up for a good prepaid plan?

I think both AIS, True and DTAC have subtitle post- and pre-paid plan alternatives. But a post paid plan with unlimited GRPS/Edge data use is a pluss or alternatively something like Trues offerings which also can include Wi-Fi hot-spot access.

Very helpful review of he Omnia. I agree with your asertions that it is not perfect. I too, would like to have seen it produced in a metallic body, higher resolution display and also non-proprietary connectors to list a few quirks. I don't yet have an Omnia, but have been reading reviews and watching introductory Youtube videos of it since it was first announced. I'm waiting for the initial sales shock in Thailand to subside and the prices begin to drop and stabilize before making a purchase.

The Koran version T*Omnia is awe inspiring though with all the Omnias features + 3.3" screen with WVGA (480X800) resolution, DNSE sound engine and DMB TV tuner included.

Edited by Fun2Fun

What do you mean, no Outlook program for Vista?  Outlook is part of the Microsoft Office Suite which you can purchase here in Thailand either in the original version or pirated version.  I use Outlook extensively for my email on both my desktop (Vista Home 64-bit) and my notebook (Vista Home 32-bit) with no problems.  Also, Outlook was not included in Windows XP either; Windows XP included a slimmed down version called Outlook Express, not the same thing.  Get yourself a copy of Microsoft Office and if you don't want to install the full suite, do a custom install of Outlook only.

What can I say; I have been looking for a program called "Outlook", which would run under Vista, but I was told it has changed name and is now "Windows Mail". But my Windows Mobile does not accept or recognize Windows Mail. Isn't it strange that I have to actually buy a very expensive program (Microsoft Office" to be able to back-up my mobile phone?

I hope I am wrong, and would welcome any suggestion to make my Windows Mobile sync the Omnia.

What can I say; I have been looking for a program called "Outlook", which would run under Vista, but I was told it has changed name and is now "Windows Mail". But my Windows Mobile does not accept or recognize Windows Mail. Isn't it strange that I have to actually buy a very expensive program (Microsoft Office" to be able to back-up my mobile phone?

I hope I am wrong, and would welcome any suggestion to make my Windows Mobile sync the Omnia.

Basically if you use activesync then you will also need Outlook ie. You need the MS Office Suite installed on your PC.

But as mentioned before you can also use for instance a free program like PIM Backup to make backup of important info on your windows mobile phone or on your PC.

Edited by Fun2Fun

And there is another problem with Omnia: The ROM Update.

My version is DXHG3; I bought my Omnia about 3 month ago.

When I download the updater program from Samsung's webpage, it lets me download a program called 'i900dzhj1-updater_vista.exe and when I run it, it tells me "Incorrect software version. Please check the device."

Apparently the program runs with the ROM version DZHJ1 and not with the one I have. Unfortunately I was not able to find any other or prior versions of this updater program.

Does anyone know where I could find them?

And there is another problem with Omnia: The ROM Update.

My version is DXHG3; I bought my Omnia about 3 month ago.

When I download the updater program from Samsung's webpage, it lets me download a program called 'i900dzhj1-updater_vista.exe and when I run it, it tells me "Incorrect software version. Please check the device."

Apparently the program runs with the ROM version DZHJ1 and not with the one I have. Unfortunately I was not able to find any other or prior versions of this updater program.

Does anyone know where I could find them?

You have a DX rom and need a new DX rom.

You can try this:

Try to choose Philipines as your location at the Samsung site, then you should get a DX version of the ROM update.

OR

Read on here...

OR

You can always go by the closest Samsung service center and ask them to update your phone for you.

Edited by Fun2Fun

Here is what I found out about updating an OMNIA purchased in Thailand:

If you run the updater program and get the "Incorrect Software version" error, try this:

* Press the 'dial' key to the left of the optical pad to bring up the dialer

* With the onscreen keypad input *#1546792*#

* Select 'Preconfiguration'

* Enter code *#81230*# and select OK

* Select 'Singapore', with the default Operator

* Accept this, DEVICE WILL HARD RESET

* Run update, and all should be well.

Good luck.

I may be mistaken, but I think that Windows Mail replaced Hotmail or maybe it was Outlook Express; I'm not sure because I don't use either, however I use Outlook daily.  Save yourself some trouble and go down to TukCom, 4th floor, and pickup a copy of either Microsoft Office 2003 or 2007 Enterprise Edition for 150 baht and be done with it.

The Koran version T*Omnia is awe inspiring though with all the Omnias features + 3.3" screen with WVGA(480X800) resolution, DNSE sound engine and DMB TV tuner included.

Look forward to the screen upgrade on this regions models......next year ?

"Koran Version T*Omnia"?  Is this some sort of religious (Islamic) version of the Omnia?  I'm assuming you meant Korean version (lol).

Have a new T*Omnia on its way to me, so if anyone in Bangkok is interested in a lightly used Omnia with Warranty and extra software then feel free to PM me.

Where did you find the T*Omnia for sale; did you have to order it from Korea?  Anyway, congrats on the pickup and I'm looking forward to reading your review of the T*Omnia and it's comparison to the orginal Omnia.

Have a new T*Omnia on its way to me, so if anyone in Bangkok is interested in a lightly used Omnia with Warranty and extra software then feel free to PM me.

Where did you find the T*Omnia for sale; did you have to order it from Korea?  Anyway, congrats on the pickup and I'm looking forward to reading your review of the T*Omnia and it's comparison to the orginal Omnia.

I just lucked out and had a friend going to Korea, so he will pick one up for me while he's there :o

I kinda know already how the phone will be but since the hardware specs are the same i hope that the increased resolution of the T*Omnia screen will not decrease the battery use time and response time to much in comparison with than the standard Omnia which i have now.

Edited by Fun2Fun

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How about text input? eg for SMS - can you do it single handedly using a numeric keypad type application / interface?

Thanks for good info.

You have a choice of 3 different onscreen keypads.

Full Qwerty keyboard

Semi Qwerty keyboard (2 letters a key)

Ordinary phone pad (3 letters a key just like any ordinary mobile)

T*Omnia looked and felt nice, but i had to sell it off again since its UI was only available in Korean :o

So i am back to using Omnia again, and luckily enough a new Omnia ROM version is now out with a lot of improvements and new functions. :D

Edited by Fun2Fun

• 4 weeks later...
I got the dxhk3..is that the most recent update?

It is for official roms. There are many custom roms out there, but I believe HK3 is a good choice. I was previously using HJ1 which was also great.

HK1 and HK2 are not quite as good so if anyone else is hesitating to upgrade now is a good time.

Where did you find the T*Omnia for sale; did you have to order it from Korea? Anyway, congrats on the pickup and I'm looking forward to reading your review of the T*Omnia and it's comparison to the orginal Omnia.

T*Omnia looked and felt nice, but i had to sell it off again since its UI was only available in Korean :o

So i am back to using Omnia again, and luckily enough a new Omnia ROM version is now out with a lot of improvements and new functions. :D

What do you mean? Are there no english roms for it?