Chiang Mai Football Fracas

p1p

Contrary to reports circulating, nobody was killed, nor was anybody shot at the fight between Nakorn Payap and American Pacific International Schools at last Saturdays inter collegiate competition held at Prem.

The fight occurred during the match between NIS and APIC and was reportedly a result of long-term bad blood between the respective schools.

The play wes interrupted after one player successfully tackled another and was then punched in the face for his efforts. It immediately degenerated into a free for all brawl in which even some parents became involved. One child was taken to hospital with a broken nose and suspected broken leg.

I think the main problem was that one father was holding a kid down on the ground, while others were kicking and jumping on him. This was the kid with the broken nose and reputedly broken leg.

There have been all kinds of threats of death and severe violence since then.

What difference does it make?

This thread was started as a result of emails I received asking why there was no news about the murders (plural) at the football match. I simply set the record straight.

I take it from your tone that you think I was having a go at you. Not so. As my son was playing in the NIS team I wanted to find out what had actually happened. Hopefully from an impartial source.

This forum does have it's uses.

As I understand it, APIS was throwing elbows throughout the (shortened) match, then several players attacked an NIS player after he made a legal tackle. The father of the NIS player then rushed onto the field and joined the fracas (presumabley to protect his son). Another NIS player then punched an APIS player (who is reportedly 20 years old and covered with tatoos) in the face, breaking his nose and knocking him out. He was taken to the hospital in an ambulance. He was one of the players kicking the NIS fellow while he was on the ground.

The referees did nothing to break it up and the two side were separated by NIS coaches, after which an APIS coach (who is reportedly Iranian) told the NIS coach several times that "a bullet only costs 1,000 baht in Thailand."

I don't know how these rumors get started, but there has been no further violence, despite the threats, and certainly there was nothing like gunplay.

From someone I know close to the incident I was told there is no history of "bad blood" between the teams, but there is a pattern from APIS of causing problems at events. APIS has many wealthy Bangkok kids who are sent to the isolated school because of problems elsewhere. A couple of years ago there was a similar incident between APIS and CMIS after a basketball game, which included a rock thrown through a car windshield. I personally witnessed a group of APIS "gangster wanna-bees" harrasing farang students at a sporting event and trying to goad them into a fight.

Following the football incident, the athletic directors of all the international schools met, as reportedly have the heamasters of NIS and APIS. The staus is now that both teams involved in the brawl will not be permitted to play in any tournaments for the remainder of the school year and the APIS coach who made the death threats has been removed from coaching.

Oh, sorry, I forgot this: My information comes from:

1. Direct conversations with students and coaches who were there.

2. A written report from a school coach not involved in the melee.

3. My many years experience in international education in Chiang Mai.

Thanks ferd54, although the incident sounds quite serious. I think you missed the episode where the NIS bus was pelted with stones after a football match at APIS.

It seems a pity that the NIS kids have been treated this way, as generally they are well behaved.

Thank you FERD for clearing matters up..

Sorry, It has been a few days since I checked in here.

My reports came from the chief coach from another school, involved in the tournament but not the fight, some students and my sons' teacher who had to help break up the fight.

lamphun,

I assume you mean by “it’s a shame that NIS is teated this way” the decision that they should be banned from tourment play for the rest of the school year. If so:

I think that the people at NIS believe that they were “attacked first” and defended themselves. As a man, I might say that APIS started it and NIS finished it — and APIS got what they deserved.

But:

1. An NIS player put someone in the hospital.

2. An NIS parent lost control and joined in the violence.

I have heard that the coach at NIS wants his players to know that violence is not a solution, nor even an option, so he agreed to the ban. However, I also know there is some sympathy for the NIS position.

As you know it is now the Christmas break, so things will cool down and perhaps the decision will be altered. I do not believe it is a good idea for APIS and NIS to play each other again this school year.

Just for background: APIS says that the player who was knocked out is now undergoing nose reconstruction surgery in Bangkok, as well as some dental work (it must have been a a heck of a punch). The NIS players (the student who threw the punch, the father and son) are all now on regularly scheduled holidays outside the country (they are all farangs). So any threat of so-called “serious violence” is not imminent.

I also think there is a growing question in the international school community about whether schools want to play sports with a “reform school” that doesn’t have the leadership to keep troubled kids under control. In my personal experience, when I had to break up potential fights instigated by APIS, there was no teacher or coach from APIS around. They are unavailable, or perhaps unwilling, to confront these kids.

Any parents out there should get involved with this question.

From the reports I have, during the football fracas that happened, the APIS coaches did nothing to separate the two teams, and only after it was over, threatened the NIS coach. Again, it was left to teachers and coaches from other schools to try to get the situation under control.

Let’s all try to let the situation cool down. I have only written to put the best accurate information (that I know) out there so that wild rumors don’t abound.

--Ferd54

Ferd54

Some good points and I agree, the NIS kids need to be reminded that violence shouldn't be rewarded.

However under the circumstance I hope that the international schools lift the ban on NIS next term.

Perhaps the Thai ministry of education should be looking at APIS's certification. If they can't teach their boarding pupils how to behave, then they don't seem to be fulfilling any useful educational role.

Thanks again

lamphun,

I have to go on holiday now, so let's let the matter rest. I do want to say to you that I am very happy that a parent (you) is involved in a positive way...concerned and willing to speak out.

I deal with kids all the time whose "parents" are nowhere to be found. It's always rewarding to hear from a father who is actually "present."

Again, thank you. And please stay involved.

Merry Christmas

Ferd54