Protesters Close Don Muang Airport

roamer

BANGKOK AIRPORT UPDATE - okay I spoke with my airline today regarding moving a flight to Thailand and they assured me that the airport will be OPEN ON NOV 28. They insisted that the government had told them this information so I would interpret this as by negotiation or force if necessary. I hope I am right about the former and this gets peaceably settled via an election or a resignation.

I still moved my flight until later as I am not completely confident this will be settled in that time frame.

Just posting the update.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:

Security stepped up at Don Mueang military airport

Tanks deployed

DON MUANG: -- Tanks with soldiers armed with M-16 assault rifles were deployed to guard all entrances of the Don Mueang military airport Thursday morning.

Air Force officials also locked all the gates except the front one.

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

Interesting that the PM (& Defence minister) seems unable to call for military flights to move himself & the cabinet around

This is interesting: the Bangkokpost is now directly attacking the powerful people (we all know who) in an editorial:

By physically shutting down Suvarnabhumi airport, the People's Alliance for Democracy has upped the stakes in Thailand's ongoing political polarisation. It has demonstrated the extent to which it will resort to mob violence to achieve its aims. ANALYSIS By Thitinan Pongsudhirak

The PAD is bent on creating the conditions of ungovernability and then to demand the ouster of Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat on grounds that Thailand is ungovernable.

Its tactics have warped into a blatant street campaign of intimidation and fear, of coercion and force.

That the PAD has come this far in its thuggish ways is attributable to its powerful backing, without which its relative impunity in the face of flagrant violations of the law can hardly be explained.

see full article: www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/topstories.php?id=132325

I understand your frustrations, but is this outbreak of civil disobedience, a good or a bad thing for Thailand, most importantly, has the immenent arrival of ex PM Thaksin in Thailand prompted this escalation of violence......????

great point, without emperor taksin no problems. He is the cause of all this shit.

So if I go on a nutter spree and cause havoc with your life, but my excuse is that the devil made me do it, Satan took control of me, is that a valid excuse, we'd be cool?

Breakingnews - The Nation

Security stepped up at Don Mueang military airport

Published on November 27, 2008

Tanks with soldiers armed with M-16 assault rifles were deployed to guard all entrances of the Don Mueang military airport Thursday morning.

Air Force officials also locked all the gates except the front one.

-The Nation

LaoPo

BANGKOK AIRPORT UPDATE - okay I spoke with my airline today regarding moving a flight to Thailand and they assured me that the airport will be OPEN ON NOV 28. They insisted that the government had told them this information so I would interpret this as by negotiation or force if necessary. I hope I am right about the former and this gets peaceably settled via an election or a resignation.

I still moved my flight until later as I am not completely confident this will be settled in that time frame.

Just posting the update.

I doubt it, my bet is that they're going by the figures given out yesterday without knowing about the current condition. You need to plus 1 day every day to PAD is still at the airport obviously.

Chamlong: Seige of Govt House and Airports Guarantee Victory by Today

UPDATE : 27 November 2008

PAD core leader Chamlong Srimuang insisted the gathering will appeal the Civil Court's injunction to order the removal of the PAD protest at Suvarnabhumi Airport. While the appeals process is going on, protesters will remain at the airport until the Appeals Court hands down its decision. He also invited PAD supporters to travel to Don Muang Airport and said the seige of Government House, Suvarnabhumi Airport and Don Muang Airports will lead to victory for the rally by today.

Yeah, I doubt it. So if they loose the right to protest at Suvarnabhumi (which they will), they're going to all move down to Don Muang instead.

Hey, maybe that 28th deadline for re-opening the airport is valid afterall. :o

I understand your frustrations, but is this outbreak of civil disobedience, a good or a bad thing for Thailand, most importantly, has the immenent arrival of ex PM Thaksin in Thailand prompted this escalation of violence......????

great point, without emperor taksin no problems. He is the cause of all this shit.

Koos de Boer has very little knowledge about the background, it is not Thaksin, it is a handful of people who refuses to form a political party knowing that they will get no support from the majority. You must be enormous frustrated to see that your friends of the PAD simply want to push their agenda. It is in a matter of fact all to blame on Sondhi the man who has billions in baht in unpaid debt and in assets frozen by asset management companies. He asked his than friend Thaksin to help him get his assets back (screw the taxpayer) when Thaksin refused he became personal. Let Sondhi pay his debt, sue him for the remainder of the money that he has left for causing the country enormous damage. Luckily mister de Boer is a minority. Look at the comments in the Bangkokpost. Just one out of every 50 posts is supportive of the PAD nowadays.

I have an opinion and you have an opinion. So you are smart and I am stupid? Don't think you know it all.

Thailand's 2nd national airport closed: Protesters shut Don Mueang

BANGKOK: -- Anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) protesters forcefully shut down Bangkok's domestic airport, Don Mueang, late Wednesday, only one day after they blocked access to and occupied Suvarnabhumi Airport, Thailand's showcase air transport centre and primary international port of entry, a move which led to its closure late Tuesday, virtually crippling the country's tourism industry.

PAD demonstrators marched from Don Mueang's domestic terminal to its nearby international terminal and blocked the entrance to the airport at around midnight.

They also planned to surround the military airport at Don Mueang in an attempt to prevent ministers to fly to Chiang Mai to attend the weekly cabinet meeting scheduled to be held on Wednesday in the northen province after Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat return from APEC summit in Peru and landing in Chiang Mai to avoid confrontation with the PAD who seized Suvarnabhumi Tuesday night.

Thousands of PAD protesters stormed into the Suvaranbhumi terminal arrival and departure area, forceing the airport to halt both inbound and outbound flights. The move is causing incalculable damage to Thailand's tourism, travel and hospitality oriented economy, investment sentiment and national image.

All domestic flights at Don Mueang Airport have been cancelled, causing frustration to passengers needing to travel for business and personal commitments.

"I love coming to Thailand but I'm disappointed with what has happened," said one foreign visitor. Another international passenger said he has problems with his business because he could not catch a connecting flight.

The PAD moved its truck-mounted 'mobile stage' to Don Meaung's international terminal and its leaders took turns to be on stage attacking the government.

Meanwhile, the Peoples' Alliance leadership announced emphatically that the PAD will continue to occupy Suvarnabhumi Airport until the prime minister resigns.

In his first televised address on returning from Peru, the premier denounced the anti-government protesters' seizure of Suvarnabhumi Airport and urged government officials to enforce the law.

In response to army chief Gen. Anupong Paochinda's call for a snap election, the beleaguered prime minister insisted he will continue to work as the government was elected legitimately.

Gen. Anupong stepped in to try to end the spiralling political crisis, urging the prime minister to call fresh elections and demanding that the protesters end their siege of Suvarnabhumi Airport. He insisted he was not staging a coup, and asserted that he believed a coup would not end the political unrest.

As for the Civil Court's ordering the PAD to leave Suvarnabhumi Airport immediately, a PAD core leader said its lawyers would provide a full legal defense against the court's order.

The court ruled that the actions of the 13 defendants -- the full roster of announced Peoples' Alliance for Democracy leaders -- who convinced their followers to shut down the airport had, in fact, violated the Constitution as their action infringed on the rights of others to travel freely.

On the advice of the minister of transport, the management agency Airports of Thailand (AOT), which runs Suvarnabhumi Airport, sought a court order to evict the protesters from the airport premises.

Suvarnabhumi Airport director and acting AOT president Serirat Prasutanond expressed hope that the PAD would depart from the airport. He said Suvarnabhumi could resume its normal operation within two hours of the PAD leaving.

Thousands of PAD supporters seized Suvarnabhumi Airport Tuesday in what they called the final showdown to oust the government and also demanded that the 2007 Constitution, written by legal and constitutional experts appointed by the 2006 coupmakers, must not be amended.

-- TNA 2008-11-27

Interesting we have a Govt that is lame and unable to act, a Prime Minister whose inability in the job he was chosen for is hiding from the responsibilities bestowed on him, a Police force unable to act, the Democrats in the House sitting back in glee hoping they get a chance to finally step up and rule, and a bunch of people on both sides who think they are right. If the 'reds' outnumber the 'yellows' then a re-election will solve nothing. If the generals throw another coup, they will mismanage as badly as they did before and wipe (remember the 800BN Baht that smoked up over night on the cash management 'retention') more off the worth of Thailand. It is fast detracting to a worse than third world status. Either side are systematically destroying business, credibility and the country. Thai Rak Thai - Thais love Thais - hmmm ... I think they missed the point.

My wifes mother lives in Bangkok. She was given 2000 thb (500 thb per member of the household) to don a red shirt and join the fight. This happened yesterday.

She says that every time somthing like this happens, a little man comes round all the houses in her area (Yusid) and hands out cash for support.

I wonder if this is the case up here in Chiang Mai. The protesters who gathered at the airport were at least 50% women, and many looked more like middle aged housewives despite the clubs and baseball bats.

424896408_DsPuN-L.jpg

This one wasn't a lady, however....

424903151_NhAv3-L.jpg

I don't think the PAD have a clue what they are doing! So far they have done nothing good for Thailand. By blocking the airports this will mean Tourism Industry declines then it will mean more Jobs/Businesses will be lost on top of the estimated 1,000,000 job loss for next year and then it will mean more crime (home breakings, muggings etc). I been living here for sometime and wonder how this country will be next year. I wonder how safe my home and family will be. All these jobs lost how will these people get money. Desprate times means Desprate messures. Who knows expats and there families who have lived here for a while may start heading to other Asian countries with less problems. If this happens it will be even less money going to that Thai people. Seems to be a bleak few years coming up in Thailand. I just hope all this will be sorted soon and everything will be fine.

no one can say when it till open.

and it wont until after PAD Leaves.

it will take a day or 2 top clean and check the whole airport. No foreign airlines will land or take off till the secruity of the airport is confirmed.

Agree with that 1000% cannot be that the airport opens just 2 hours after they vacate (if they do). The longer they stay the longer to open I would guess. They cannot leave possibilty of a bomb in there ( or could they). Only takes one crazy guy from deep south to mascarade as a supporter and plant something terrible.

History. Perhaps if one looks at who is bankrolling the 'yellow brigade' they will find it is the Thai elite, they who lost a fortune in the nineties crash and having blamed foreigners for their ill have no concern what the world thinks, they more than likely have 'squirelled' their money into somewhere safe and could not care about tourists. It is the average Thai who will suffer and the status quo will continue, they will be kept in their place as before. The 'red brigade' on the other hand have shown to the world restraint and initially gained sympathy but unless they get their timing right this will soon disappear. Both sides do not want to lose face but care not for the ordinary decent Thai

As we know despite all this the Thai economy will remain unaffected by the turndown in the world economy and the Baht will continue to remain strong. Any other country which suffered these current woes would be dead on it's feet!

Absolutely! Had Heathrow been occupied by protesters a couple of days ago the £ would have gone through the floor by now!!

I spoke with a friend last night who is a physician at Bumrungrad. They were urgently awaiting some sort of perishable chemotherapy medicines that were couriered from the USA day before yesterday. Needless to say, it won't be arriving and his patient lies dying in hospital.

This is going far beyond loss of tourists and failing businesses when seriously sick people begin dying because of PAD's actions.

To be honest that sounds kinda dumb. If I had something that important I wouldn't send it through the mail. Someone sent me a package from England two weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived.

:o:D :D :D

HungryHippo

You really needed several more coffees before you logged on this morning. You could win the dumbest comment of the day award before the day has really started. He he he!

What's PAD thinking with doing this? How will shutting down the airports get them what they want? Do they think if they piss off enough people by driving the tourists away and making it hard to do international business more people will join their cause?

You are thinking, with respect, in a Western way and I understand and agree

But this is Thailand,a feudal society run by an oligarchic group. It is not a democracy

Sit quietly and think how a few thousand pad could and would want to do what is happening now. They are only the front line. Thai economic thinking is self sufficiency and tourism is the cream but not the milk

I spoke with a friend last night who is a physician at Bumrungrad. They were urgently awaiting some sort of perishable chemotherapy medicines that were couriered from the USA day before yesterday. Needless to say, it won't be arriving and his patient lies dying in hospital.

This is going far beyond loss of tourists and failing businesses when seriously sick people begin dying because of PAD's actions.

To be honest that sounds kinda dumb. If I had something that important I wouldn't send it through the mail. Someone sent me a package from England two weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived.

Doesn't this type of thread bring out the stupidity in some people? The guy said 'Couriered' nothing to do with mail.---- Go back to bed so as we can keep this topic on track! :o

<snip>

If the medication doesn't get sent here on an airplane, how else are they going to send it from the USA? By boat???

Edited by Jai Dee
Flame deleted.

and so thailand is heading back into the dark ages....

... cos Somchai and Sondhi are clearly hel_l-bent on saving their respective faces, and sod the country’s reputation and economy. Sad, but flawed priorities clearly rule OK in LOS.

Don Mueang Airport closed

BANGKOK: -- The services at the Don Mueang Airport were stopped since midnight Wednesday after the People's Alliance for Democracy seized control of the domestic passenger terminal.

Channel 9 reported that all passenger services at the Don Mueang Airport were stopped after the last flight left the airport at midnight.

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

Does anyone know if Fedex, DHL or Royal Post are operating international flights. News reports sometimes say passenger flights other times say all flights or as in this ridiculous Nation article mix both. What's the deal?

Our company received the following email from Fedex yesterday after we inquired on the status of our shipments.

"Please appologise for the inconvenience. Due to the civil unrest

currently taking place at the Bangkok Airport in Thailand, FedEx is

holding all freight both import and export until the matter is resolved.

So please keep your consignee informed."

:o:D:D:D

HungryHippo

You really needed several more coffees before you logged on this morning. You could win the dumbest comment of the day award before the day has really started. He he he!

What I mean is that I would have it sent in person, not via a package in a box.

Right, but what you said was:

"If I had something that important I wouldn't send it through the mail."

No doubt you don't have the worldliness to understand that door to door airline courier service is not the same as post, and door to door airline courier services are extremely reliable. But then, had the sender followed your sage advice and sent it as a hand carried parcel "in person" (whatever that means), where would they be now with the airports all closed? Pity that the doctors at Bumrungrad and the American supplier don't have you on staff as a consultant, as I'm certain with your expertise none of this would have happened.

Well, first hand observation: Sitting here in my house overlooking the sea in Phuket, I have a view of the main arterial roads in and out of Patong Beach, and for some strange reason they are deathly quiet today. No big trucks going to Carrefour, no ambulances screaming all day and night, no screeching karaoke girls at 4am last night. Kind of nice really.

My problem is that I have to be in Bangkok tomorrow, it's important, but I don't want to drive there and the buses are overbooked full. Both airports in BKK are closed. Now what? Grin and bear it?

PAD people, with their yellow 'hand-puppet' tambourines and their spilling of sum-tum juice all over the computers in the Suvarnabhumi control tower, have not had to face an International reality. Airports are the heart and lungs of any country, airport takeovers change the game from 'protest' to "terrorist". It doesn't matter if you are in Alberta, Canada or Zuara, Libya: in the eyes of the entire universe, any attempt to take over an airport is considered a terrorist act. Therefore, applying 'if/then' stratagems learned in the 6th grade, terrorists are required to be dealt with as 'terrorists' doing terrorist activities, i.e. government brings in big new shiny large bore crowd control anti personnel weapons, Kevlar flak jackets, riot shields, rubber bullets and lots of other tactical force including live ammo. However, seeing as how most of these PAD people have never stepped into a 6th grade classroom, how are they supposed to know this basic fact of International problem-solving group think?

I personally have had to deal with Thaksin's imperialistic corruptive money management methodology, have watched helplessly while suspected but unproven minor drug dealers were gunned down in the market of Chiang Rai, and have sat back and watched the Thaksin manipulated land grabs & under the table cement contract deals in Phuket, Khao Lak, Chiang Saen and Chiang Mai: Therefore, I have, in fact, been a silent supporter of the PAD. At this time, however, my support for them is wavering. As with most undereducated Banana Republican over manipulated nonthinking drones with no job and nothing else to do, the PAD members have aimlessly followed their leaders into the abyss pf finality.

Counting the days here. Wondering who is going to step up. Life is going to get worse here in this sweet little third world country of ours. Who do we thank for this, Thaksin or the PAD? Both?

I will go to the airport in Phuket tomorrow and simply hope for the best. Tens of thousands of people, farang and Thai, are in the same boat today. Who are the PAD? Simple minded protesters, or airport take-over terrorists? You decide.

Old and in the way in Phuket.

Ministers Travel by Car to Attend Cabinet Meeting in Chiang Mai

Members of the government are said to be making their way to Chiang Mai by car to attend today's Cabinet meeting there and meet with Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

Security is tight at the Green Valley housing estate in Maerim district, where Somchai's residence is located. The media is also out there in full force, waiting to report on Somchai's movement but he remains enclosed in his house after returning from Peru last night.

Reports said Culture Minister Worapoj Auapinyakul and Arisman Pongruengrong have arrived in Chiang Mai by van. Other Cabinet ministers are believed to be traveling by car to the northern province as well as the PAD has blocked all air exits of the ministers.

Somchai is said to be presiding over today's Cabinet meeting in the afternoon at a meeting room at the Chiang Mai City Hall to discuss the current political turmoil.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/toc/ViewData...?DataID=1010834

-------------------

Amazing. I wonder why PAD didn't anticipate this when they used the excuse of taking over Don Muang to prevent the cabinet meeting in Chiang Mai?

Food for thought

If all the international airlines want to push the button they can file charges to whit:

In ATSA, Congress specifically

required the Under Secretary to

establish procedures to notify the FAA

Administrator, among others, of the

identity of individuals known to pose,

or suspected of posing, a threat of air

piracy or terrorism, or a threat to airline

or passenger safety. 49 U.S.C. 114(h)(2).

Congress required the FAA

Administrator to ‘‘make modifications

in the system for issuing airman

certificates related to combating acts of

terrorism.’’ 49 U.S.C. 44703(g).

Directs the Attorney General to establish, and report to specified congressional committees on, procedures for notifying the Administrator of the FAA, and airport or airline security officers, of the identity of persons known or suspected by the Attorney General to pose a risk of air piracy or terrorism or a threat to airline or passenger safety.

(Sec. 106) Authorizes the Secretary, through a memorandum of understanding or other agreement with the Attorney General or head of a Federal law enforcement agency, to order the deployment of Federal law enforcement personnel at secure areas of an airport to counter the risk of criminal violence, the risk of aircraft piracy and to air carrier aircraft operations at such airport, or to meet national security concerns.

Deputy Administrator means the officer next in rank below the Administrator.

FAA Administrator means the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration.

Individual means an individual whom TSA determines poses a security threat.

© Security threat. An individual poses a security threat when the individual is suspected of posing, or is known to pose—

(1) A threat to transportation or national security;

(2) A threat of air piracy or terrorism;

(3) A threat to airline or passenger security; or

(4) A threat to civil aviation security.

Simply put they can have international warrants for Air Piracy!!

The way I read it.. any way just Food for thought

Koos de Boer has very little knowledge about the background, it is not Thaksin, it is a handful of people who refuses to form a political party knowing that they will get no support from the majority. You must be enormous frustrated to see that your friends of the PAD simply want to push their agenda. It is in a matter of fact all to blame on Sondhi the man who has billions in baht in unpaid debt and in assets frozen by asset management companies. He asked his than friend Thaksin to help him get his assets back (screw the taxpayer) when Thaksin refused he became personal. Let Sondhi pay his debt, sue him for the remainder of the money that he has left for causing the country enormous damage. Luckily mister de Boer is a minority. Look at the comments in the Bangkokpost. Just one out of every 50 posts is supportive of the PAD nowadays.

I have an opinion and you have an opinion. So you are smart and I am stupid? Don't think you know it all.

Yes but the previous poster explained his opinion rationally rather than just shout out some stupid crap- if you want to blame somebody other than the people committing the crime- why not blame the intellectuals who introduced democracy to Thailand in 1932, without which Thaksin could not have become PM- BUt maybe- you might want to consider just who exactly is perpetrating the crime- or do you regard them as devoid of choice- nothing more than cattle responding the the smell of a wolf- sub human?

Edited by blaze

Attention!

New and groundbreaking proposal to end the turmoil in Thailand and make everybody happy:

Let Somchai/Taksin govern the North from Chiang Mai while Sondhi and his Yellow People can govern the rest from Bangkok. The North can than separate and be known as Lana-land or Lalaland. Issan can join them if they wish after a referendum. The Bangkok run part may be called Krungthep-land or Moomooland.

Actually the South may split from Bangkok as well. Apart from Patani state which will surely go to Muslims the Phuket and Samui islands can perhaps became independent Farang Kingdoms. The names for them can perhaps be decided later after few drinking competitions.

:o Excellent !!!

The following link might just suggest Issan already has plans underway for the future.

http://isaanair.com/