Protesters Close Don Muang Airport

roamer

I love Thailand, I really do. But (yeah but) how a country can ruin itself just a little more, when there's already a global crisis going on is beyond me.

And I bet those people blocking the airports will be be completely surprised when there's even less food on their table pretty soon.

agree, and i love Thailand as well. if disrupting airports is part of their protest, then they do not have Thailand's best interests in mind. only trying to act as thugs and disrupt as much as they can and then blame the result on current PM

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PAD Closes off Military Airport

In an attempt to prevent Cabinet ministers from leaving Bangkok to attend the Cabinet meeting in Chiang Mai this afternoon, the PAD has closed off the entrances to a military airport on Viphavadi-Rangsit Road.

This follows the closure of Don Muang Airport yesterday.

Source: Thailand Outlook - 27 November 2008

<snip>

"Please appologise for the inconvenience. Due to the civil unrest

currently taking place at the Bangkok Airport in Thailand, FedEx is

holding all freight both import and export until the matter is resolved.

So please keep your consignee informed."

Wait, what? You have to apologise? :o

Simply put they can have international warrants for Air Piracy!!

I doubt sitting in the terminal and stopping people from entering the airport is a threat to passenger security. You can dream however they won't be charged with it. Anyone have an update from the court over if they can still protest at the airport?

Edited by Jai Dee
Comments about moderation deleted.

:D:D:D:(

HungryHippo

You really needed several more coffees before you logged on this morning. You could win the dumbest comment of the day award before the day has really started. He he he!

What I mean is that I would have it sent in person, not via a package in a box.

Right, but what you said was:

"If I had something that important I wouldn't send it through the mail."

No doubt you don't have the worldliness to understand that door to door airline courier service is not the same as post, and door to door airline courier services are extremely reliable. But then, had the sender followed your sage advice and sent it as a hand carried parcel "in person" (whatever that means), where would they be now with the airports all closed? Pity that the doctors at Bumrungrad and the American supplier don't have you on staff as a consultant, as I'm certain with your expertise none of this would have happened.

:o:D

Ministers Travel by Car to Attend Cabinet Meeting in Chiang Mai

Members of the government are said to be making their way to Chiang Mai by car to attend today's Cabinet meeting there and meet with Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

Security is tight at the Green Valley housing estate in Maerim district, where Somchai's residence is located. The media is also out there in full force, waiting to report on Somchai's movement but he remains enclosed in his house after returning from Peru last night.

Reports said Culture Minister Worapoj Auapinyakul and Arisman Pongruengrong have arrived in Chiang Mai by van. Other Cabinet ministers are believed to be traveling by car to the northern province as well as the PAD has blocked all air exits of the ministers.

Somchai is said to be presiding over today's Cabinet meeting in the afternoon at a meeting room at the Chiang Mai City Hall to discuss the current political turmoil.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/toc/ViewData...?DataID=1010834

-------------------

Amazing. I wonder why PAD didn't anticipate this when they used the excuse of taking over Don Muang to prevent the cabinet meeting in Chiang Mai?

Current parliamentary session ends TOMORROW - Orders from the Boss - Get that bloody amendment through NOW! :o

Attention!

New and groundbreaking proposal to end the turmoil in Thailand and make everybody happy:

Let Somchai/Taksin govern the North from Chiang Mai while Sondhi and his Yellow People can govern the rest from Bangkok. The North can than separate and be known as Lana-land or Lalaland. Issan can join them if they wish after a referendum. The Bangkok run part may be called Krungthep-land or Moomooland.

Actually the South may split from Bangkok as well. Apart from Patani state which will surely go to Muslims the Phuket and Samui islands can perhaps became independent Farang Kingdoms. The names for them can perhaps be decided later after few drinking competitions.

:o Excellent !!!

nice

The following link might just suggest Issan already has plans underway for the future.

http://isaanair.com/

Food for thought

If all the international airlines want to push the button they can file charges to whit:

In ATSA, Congress specifically

required the Under Secretary to

establish procedures to notify the FAA

Administrator, among others, of the

identity of individuals known to pose,

or suspected of posing, a threat of air

piracy or terrorism, or a threat to airline

or passenger safety. 49 U.S.C. 114(h)(2).

Congress required the FAA

Administrator to ''make modifications

in the system for issuing airman

certificates related to combating acts of

terrorism.'' 49 U.S.C. 44703(g).

Directs the Attorney General to establish, and report to specified congressional committees on, procedures for notifying the Administrator of the FAA, and airport or airline security officers, of the identity of persons known or suspected by the Attorney General to pose a risk of air piracy or terrorism or a threat to airline or passenger safety.

(Sec. 106) Authorizes the Secretary, through a memorandum of understanding or other agreement with the Attorney General or head of a Federal law enforcement agency, to order the deployment of Federal law enforcement personnel at secure areas of an airport to counter the risk of criminal violence, the risk of aircraft piracy and to air carrier aircraft operations at such airport, or to meet national security concerns.

Deputy Administrator means the officer next in rank below the Administrator.

FAA Administrator means the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration.

Individual means an individual whom TSA determines poses a security threat.

© Security threat. An individual poses a security threat when the individual is suspected of posing, or is known to pose—

(1) A threat to transportation or national security;

(2) A threat of air piracy or terrorism;

(3) A threat to airline or passenger security; or

(4) A threat to civil aviation security.

Simply put they can have international warrants for Air Piracy!!

The way I read it.. any way just Food for thought

Thais dont think like that. Face must not be lost. They must always be seen to be right. They may know they are wrong but you must not suggest that. They dont want open conflict which is why the military have stood by. If they acted fine but if they acted and someone died that becomes going into a conflict situation.

i think what they have show the world is in thailand Mob rule can take over the govement and stop the country.

Somchai should have put an end to this the 1st day they blockaded the gov house. It never showed have been allowed to escalate .

Interesting that the PM (& Defence minister) seems unable to call for military flights to move himself & the cabinet around

They have not taken control of the planes only the airports.

What amazes me is the stupdity of 50% of posters on this forum**flame removed**

What amazes me greatly is that there are always people thinking others stupid.

Thinking is not a problem, but saying or writing means that you are out of arguments.

Besides, it states very clearly, that you try to stop the arguments flowing because you think you know all!

Very rude, and you have no idea about the "rules" for having a discussion.

Maybe the Government should have reacted differently?

But what would have happened then?

Real escalation probably, and not the escalation you are talking about.

Let me clearly state that I don't support the politics of either side. My comments below stem from a political process analysis, not from an ideological preference.

It is clear that the reason the protests erupted is because the shadow PM in Hong Kong and his party express the following view of democracy:

"We received the most votes, so therefore we can do whatever we want until the next election and are only responsible to those who supported our election. Everyone else lost and therefore has no voice"

This was evident when the shadow PM made his Freudian slip some time ago and let it be known that provinces that voted for him would receive government services ahead of any that hadn't.

It's further evident from when the Cooking PM was removed and replaced by the single man who could ignite the most outrage in the opposition - the brother-in-law of the shadow PM. It demonstrates a total disregard for compromise or negotiation, even when handed a convenient and face-saving excuse to open a door for discussion.

The result is that whatever group has objections and would like input into the governing process has but one option- to take to the streets. I don't think it is useful to condemn any such group for using their only option, and using it very effectively.

Instead we should be asking why the government could not have created a forum in which the disenfranchised could not be accommodated? In the end, it is the government's job to govern the country responsibly. Instead, the government takes the view that it must RULE the country (as opposed to govern it), and the result is the disenfranchisement of a segment of the population that has the knowledge and power to do something about it.

I would compare the methods and demography (not the politics) of the current protesters to the American rebels at the beginning of the revolution - for example, at the Boston Tea Party. The source of the insurrection is not the protesters, but rather an attempt by the government to rule without moral authority rather than govern with responsibility for the good of the country.

I understand your frustrations, but is this outbreak of civil disobedience, a good or a bad thing for Thailand, most importantly, has the immenent arrival of ex PM Thaksin in Thailand prompted this escalation of violence......????

As you seem to be a PAD lover, maybe you can answer the confusion:

In the beginning, the PAD was shouting "THAKSIN OUT, ORK PAI".

Thaksin left to England and left Thailand.

But then the main motto of the PAD was changed to "THAKSIN COME BACK AND STAND TRIAL".

So, Thaksin and his wife returned to Thailand to stand trial.

As the trial was all a ridiculous farce, Thaksin and his wife left for England again.

Then the PAD started shouting again for THAKSIN to come back and do his jail sentence.

But now that Thaksin wants to come back and do his jail sentence, the PAD is blocking all airports and highways to stop Thaksin form returning to Thailand and do his jail sentence.

Where are the shrinks to put Sondhi and his croonies in a white jacket and listen the whole day to the BS at ASTV?

i think what they have show the world is in thailand Mob rule can take over the govement and stop the country.

Somchai should have put an end to this the 1st day they blockaded the gov house. It never showed have been allowed to escalate .

Interesting that the PM (& Defence minister) seems unable to call for military flights to move himself & the cabinet around

They have not taken control of the planes only the airports.

What amazes me is the stupdity of 50% of posters on this forum.

Was he PM then? I was almost sure he wasn't until I read this informative post.

But now that Thaksin wants to come back and do his jail sentence

Absolute nonsense.

Last time Thaksin spoke he wanted a royal pardon or "people power" to keep him out of jail.

It was some MP from Isan who said Thaksin would return on Dec 25 and that he has no problems with serving time.

Let me clearly state that I don't support the politics of either side. My comments below stem from a political process analysis, not from an ideological preference.

It is clear that the reason the protests erupted is because the shadow PM in Hong Kong and his party express the following view of democracy:

"We received the most votes, so therefore we can do whatever we want until the next election and are only responsible to those who supported our election. Everyone else lost and therefore has no voice"

This was evident when the shadow PM made his Freudian slip some time ago and let it be known that provinces that voted for him would receive government services ahead of any that hadn't.

It's further evident from when the Cooking PM was removed and replaced by the single man who could ignite the most outrage in the opposition - the brother-in-law of the shadow PM. It demonstrates a total disregard for compromise or negotiation, even when handed a convenient and face-saving excuse to open a door for discussion.

The result is that whatever group has objections and would like input into the governing process has but one option- to take to the streets. I don't think it is useful to condemn any such group for using their only option, and using it very effectively.

Instead we should be asking why the government could not have created a forum in which the disenfranchised could not be accommodated? In the end, it is the government's job to govern the country responsibly. Instead, the government takes the view that it must RULE the country (as opposed to govern it), and the result is the disenfranchisement of a segment of the population that has the knowledge and power to do something about it.

I would compare the methods and demography (not the politics) of the current protesters to the American rebels at the beginning of the revolution - for example, at the Boston Tea Party. The source of the insurrection is not the protesters, but rather an attempt by the government to rule without moral authority rather than govern with responsibility for the good of the country.

VERY GOOD!!!!!!!!!

A government should be there for all the people!

Edited by hansnl

Was he PM then? I was almost sure he wasn't until I read this informative post.

No phuketrichard is wrong, Samak was PM when they first moved into the government house. Ironic really when Richard calls 50% of the board stupid yet has the wrong facts himself.

The lawyer of the People's Alliance for Democracy is scheduled to file a petition against a Civil Court's injunction for the PAD to leave Suvarnabhumi Airport today.

The Civil Court has ordered the People's Alliance for Democracy protesters to leave Suvarnabhumi Airport after the Airports Authority of Thailand has filed charges against 13 key PAD leaders for laying siege to the Bangkok international airport.

Anyone know when the civil court case will finish today?

Attention!

New and groundbreaking proposal to end the turmoil in Thailand and make everybody happy:

Let Somchai/Taksin govern the North from Chiang Mai while Sondhi and his Yellow People can govern the rest from Bangkok. The North can than separate and be known as Lana-land or Lalaland. Issan can join them if they wish after a referendum. The Bangkok run part may be called Krungthep-land or Moomooland.

Actually the South may split from Bangkok as well. Apart from Patani state which will surely go to Muslims the Phuket and Samui islands can perhaps became independent Farang Kingdoms. The names for them can perhaps be decided later after few drinking competitions.

Notime, If only by saying this you could make it so :D To just imagine a country like Chiang Mai-Issan-Rayong not only with its vast agriculture resources, but also its beauty both in landscape as well as people would be great, and the best part is that the corrupt thai-chinese power brokers in BKK would be cut off from any further raping of the people and the landscape of this great region! In the coming years with agriculture resources becoming a more and more valuable commodity, this new Lanna-Issan-Rayong country will be known as the breadbasket of Asia. The PAD are welcome to the cesspools of BKK and Pattaya, and with their share of the money from the sale of Phuket and sumui to the hedge fund operators and investment bankers that will be fleeing prosecution in the U.S. and Europe, and the sale of the far southern provinces to Malaysia, they can begin building a massive sea wall to protect BKK from the rising oceans :o

History. Perhaps if one looks at who is bankrolling the 'yellow brigade' they will find it is the Thai elite, they who lost a fortune in the nineties crash and having blamed foreigners for their ill have no concern what the world thinks, they more than likely have 'squirelled' their money into somewhere safe and could not care about tourists. It is the average Thai who will suffer and the status quo will continue, they will be kept in their place as before. The 'red brigade' on the other hand have shown to the world restraint and initially gained sympathy but unless they get their timing right this will soon disappear. Both sides do not want to lose face but care not for the ordinary decent Thai

So the army just surrendered the Airport to a rabble that from what I hear first hand were just milling around.

It shows that PAD have very little influence outside central Bangkok and maybe Don Muang should just be turned into an Army retirement home and gold course. I am sure the regional airports will be happy to take on the extra work and MONEY from moving goods and people around.

I like your post, but who are the businesses you comment on that are behind PAD? Who are the "educated thai middle classes" that we hear about who decided to bankroll a right wing anarchist mob? Not all of them are at the absolute top of Thai soceiety so lets be hearing about them and seeing some of them defend this mess.

Edited by grandpops

Indeed, all of this IS because two opposing factions (the PPP coalition vs PAD) can't come to any resolution over pretty much one subject: that an exiled, convicted, fugitive ex-PM wants to come back home and run the whole show again just like before 2006.

And, if anyone's making bets on the likelihood that Thaksin would ever voluntarily serve a prison sentence in Thailand, please step up with your money in hand. I'd be happy to cover that bet.

Heavy Security For Cabinet At Thai Military Airport-Witnesses

Thailand's army deployed dozens of troops backed by armored cars Thursday to prevent protesters occupying runways that ministers were due to use to fly to a cabinet meeting, witnesses said.

Demonstrators said they would block both of the runways at Bangkok's old Don Mueang airport, which are shared by a nearby military terminal from where the ministers are meant to depart.

Anti-government protesters seized Don Mueang, from which a handful of domestic flights operate, Thursday morning, two days after taking control of Bangkok's main Suvarnabhumi international airport.

A protest leader announced plans to barricade the runways in a speech delivered through a megaphone to supporters at Don Mueang Thursday, demonstrators said.

No outsiders except government officials and ministers were allowed inside the military airport building, which is also home to the Thai Air Force, an AFP reporter saw.

Armored vehicles equipped with machine guns guarded the entrances to the military airport and dozens of heavily armed soldiers manned checkpoints around the building.

The ministers are expected to fly to Chiang Mai to meet Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, who arrived in the northern city Wednesday after his return to Bangkok from a foreign trip was blocked.

"We expected that the cabinet meeting could be held at Chiang Mai provincial hall this afternoon so we have been prepared," Parntip Thongngamkham, the provincial spokeswoman, said.

"Some ministers are already here," she said.

Somchai, a close ally of ousted former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, used a televised address Wednesday night to reject a call by the powerful army chief to dissolve parliament and call fresh elections.

He said the cabinet meeting would discuss "measures" to end the crisis but didn't elaborate.

Protesters from the People's Alliance for Democracy have been campaigning against the government for months, saying it is corrupt and merely a proxy for Thaksin.

Source: AFP - 27 November 2008

What's PAD thinking with doing this? How will shutting down the airports get them what they want? Do they think if they piss off enough people by driving the tourists away and making it hard to do international business more people will join their cause?

Join "their cause"?... So you too are an "Us vs. Them" person? How weak... HELLO! The PAD are acting in the interests of everyone who lives in this real Land of the Free (sorry all you flag waving americans, the USA is anything but free. I left there for that very reason). An old saying comes to mind, "the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few". In this case meaning that for the good of the nation, this corrupt, sociopathic hoard of power & money mongers called the Thai "Government" needs to be expelled, extinguished and exterminated at all costs. My business is suffering tremendous blows because of this situation, but I happily take the knock & will brave the storm in the interest of having a better future here, free of the likes of a that moron & madman Toxin and his extended network ruling the country. Having a year of hardship is a small price to pay in the name of long term HEALTHY growth for the country. There will never be growth or progress with a band of thieves and scumbags in charge. I admire, support & applaud what the PAD are doing. At least they've got the balls to stand up and act on what they believe. These pea brained nit-wit "red shirts" don't seem to understand that the PAD are not against them, they're acting in the name of ALL Thais, for King and country for a better future. If you love this country half as much as I do & plan on calling it home for any length of time now or the foreseeable future, then I suggest you quit crying like a baby, bite the bullet & suffer the inconvenience of fighting for a better government with some integrity, rather than this pack of thieving clowns and madmen that have dealt the Thai citizens nothing but empty promises & lies while robbing the country blind. You can also blame the ignorance of the upcountry & rural uneducated for instilling this insanity to begin with by electing these bandits to begin with. Yeah, let's sell our country down the tubes for 30 baht health insurance and 500 baht gifts... c'mon... that's hillbilly thinking & it's time to try and shove some education into their thought deficient skulls.

Attention!

Notime, If only by saying this you could make it so :D To just imagine a country like Chiang Mai-Issan-Rayong not only with its vast agriculture resources, but also its beauty both in landscape as well as people would be great, and the best part is that the corrupt thai-chinese power brokers in BKK would be cut off from any further raping of the people and the landscape of this great region! In the coming years with agriculture resources becoming a more and more valuable commodity, this new Lanna-Issan-Rayong country will be known as the breadbasket of Asia. The PAD are welcome to the cesspools of BKK and Pattaya, and with their share of the money from the sale of Phuket and sumui to the hedge fund operators and investment bankers that will be fleeing prosecution in the U.S. and Europe, and the sale of the far southern provinces to Malaysia, they can begin building a massive sea wall to protect BKK from the rising oceans :o

Agreed but with the moving of the sea wall to the North of Bangkok!! A few years of exposure to the sea would make it a much more beautiful place!!

agreed, i have no dog in this fight...

This situation is no longer tolerable, the whole county paralyzed by just few nutters,. With the army and the police are just watching.

Such cynicsym. They are not just watching.

They have all that tea money to collect, all those "ladies" to police and re-locate around the city, brothels, bars and nightclubs to run, gambling dens to protect, market traders to harrass.... the list is endless so do give them a break.

I'm not sure that the military is going to respect Somchais orders at this time, if he requests their help. :o

There's a distinct possibility that Somchai, even though he's famous for being indecisive and feeble, will order the military to drive protesters from one or both airports. Let's hope if such shows of force were to take place that there will be minimum injuries. Thailand's history of such things in recent decades doesn't give one a lot of hope for the best. Armed intervention in demonstrations often result in deaths - which in turn aren't investigated. In some cases (Samak's recollection, for example) the deaths aren't even acknowledged to have happened.

Much better resolution would be for Somchai and his inept cabinet appointees to step down.