State Of Emergency Declared

george

State of emergency declared

Chalerm confirms state of emergency to be announced over 2 airports

BANGKOK: -- Public Health Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung confirmed that the Cabinet resolved to declare state of emergency over the Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports.

Speaking to reporters via a teleconference at 5:50 pm that the government would declare state of emergency for Suvarnahbumi and Don Mueang airports and would assign police to handle the situation.

He said the Metropolitan Police chief would be in charge of situation at the Don Mueang and the commissioner of the Provincial Police Bureau 1 at the Suvarnabhumi.

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

30 emergency medical teams prepared for police's operation to clear airports: Chalerm

BANGKOK: -- Public Health Minister Chalerm Yoombamrung said he instructed the permanent secretary for Public Health to prepare 30 emergency medical teams in the aftermath of expected police's crackdown on protesters.

He said police would try to negotiate with protesters first.

"But if the negotiations fail, let's keep our fingers crossed," Chalerm said.

"I want the negotiations to be successful because I don't want to see bloodshed."

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

Suvarnabhumi Airport remains closed until Nov 29

BANGKOK: -- Suvarnabhumi Airport will remain closed until 6pm of November 29, according to Airports of Thailand Acting President Serirat Prasutanond.

Serirat also added that Don Mueang Airport would be shut down until 6pm of Friday, November 28.

He said on Thursday that he has sought an injuction for the court's protection of Don Mueang Airport.

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

PAD tells protesters to remain calm

BANGKOK: -- Leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy told protesters to remain calm although the Cabinet resolved to declare state of emergency over the Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi International airports.

They told the crowd not to panic and follow instructions of the leaders.

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

STATE OF EMERGENCY

BANGKOK: -- The government has declared a state of emergency around the two occupied Bangkok airports and police have been ordered to clear out PAD protesters so flights can resume.

LATE NEWS: Authorities have officially declared Suvarnabhumi airport closed until Saturday at 6pm at the earliest.

Agriculture Minister Somsak Prisananantakul told reporters the special Cabinet meeting held in Chiang Mai declared emergency laws will apply in and around both the closed Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports.

Meanwhile, growing numbers of tourists, business executives and government officials are stranded by the severed transportation links between Thailand and the rest of the world. Foreign Minister Sompong Amornwiwat was reported stranded in Germany where he was on a private visit on Thursday.

Some flights have continued through provincial airports but the main bulk of the 75 flights per hour through Suvarnabhumi have been cancelled.

The emergency decree orders the police to restore order and gives the military the right to help to "restore order, allow the suspension of civil liberties, ban public gatherings of more than five people and bar the media from reporting news that causes panic."

The military thus can clear out and reopen both airports, which were attacked, occupied and closed by the People's Alliance for Democracy on Tuesday night and Wednesday respectively.

Caution

It should be remembered we have been here before, and a state of emergency has no guarantee of results.

Ex-premier Samak Sundaravej declared a state of emergency last Sept 2 after early morning clashes between pro-government protesters and PAD backers in Bangkok. Police and the army refused to act, and Mr Somchai eventually lifted the state of emergency when he took office.

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat presided over Thursday's special cabinet meeting in his home town, Chiang Mai. PAD protesters have also seized and occupied both Government House and a backup government headquarters at Don Mueang in Bangkok.

If there is bloodshed when the police try to clear out the airports, the military might have to step in. That could mean a de facto coup, even though the Royal Thai Army does not want to take power.

"The government is in a corner," said Panitan Wattanayagorn, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University. "If the police cannot do a clean job (of clearin the airports), I’m quite certain they will step in."

Army chief Gen Anupong Paojinda has refused to use his forces against protesters, but also has only "suggested" the government step down. Both Mr Somchai and PAD leaders have effectively ignored the increasinly ineffective army commander.

If the army is forced to take over, Gen Anupong will start from a position of weakness, with respect from neither of the two sides in the conflict and seen as weak and vacillating by the majority who have favoured neither the government nor the PAD.

The emergency decree was reportedly backed in advance by some 200 members of the coalition government, who urged the embattled premier to "exercise stringent legal measures" against the protesters at the airports and at Government House.

Ekapot Parnyaem, a Chart Thai MP representing Pathum Thani province, urged that the government "carry out the order within 24 hours".

He also called on MPs to "mobilise not less than 20,000 people to oppose a power seizure," a sign that there will be public disturbances in case of a military coup.

Ironically, Gen Anupong agreed. He said tht a military coup would not end political turmoil, but might increase it.

Prime Minister Somchai on Thursday denied rumours that some military commanders would be stripped of their posts and that a coup is in the making.

Military personnel should remain in their barracks and officers should not move or put their forces on alert, said government spokesman Natthawut Saikua, who said the public should not be worried or confused by coup rumours. (with reports by TNA and news agencies)

-- Bangkok Post 2008-11-27

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This should do it ... if the military prevents this clash between the PPP/Government/Thaksin forces and the PAD (with many middle aged women and some kids) camped out at the airport then THIS gov't can never function here.

If the PPP/Government/Thaksin forces are allowed to attack the people camped out at the airports and ANY deaths occur I don't see the coalition government holding together and poof .... new elections with blood on the hands of the PPP.

Then there is the chance that the military just says "Time to go folks, we'll take care of running the country until we can have new elections again"

There seems to be nigh onto 0% chance that the PPP/Thaksin gov't can survive this.

Lets just hope that this dispersal happens as peacefully as possible. I know that DVDs and web clips from the 14th October uprising detailing the abuses by the police have been passed around in large numbers amongst PAD supporters and they are being used as a reference point for their own demonstrations. If there any deaths, they will be martyred as the dead students were and the situation will only slide further into civil war.

This is not looking good. :D

My thoughts. A team of medical units.. uh oh.. and what about all the tourists caught in the cross fire.

Cue all the non-constructive posts about how all the PAD should be slaughted.. :o

BBC news said yesterday all tourists have been evacuated. There are still many women and children there though by the sounds of it.

My boyfriend's 60+ year old mum is still desperate to join the PAD, only being stopped by the fact my bf has told her he will move out and never speak to her again if she goes. The PAD radio stations and TV channels have done a good job at rallying the troops as well as the well organised transport up to BKK from the regions.

Edited by mssabai

Suvarnabhumi Airport remains closed until Nov 29

BANGKOK: -- Suvarnabhumi Airport will remain closed until 6pm of November 29, according to Airports of Thailand Acting President Serirat Prasutanond.

Serirat also added that Don Mueang Airport would be shut down until 6pm of Friday, November 28.

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

Do..... if it remains closed "until" 6pm, does that mean after 6pm it "will" be open..... i.e. if it ceases to be clsoed, then it must be open.......

Is that a statement of ultiamtum I wonder? i.e. you (PAD) WILL be out of the airport by 6pm, with or without your cooperation?

any experts? how difficult is it to take the airport without guns considering that PAD may has some basic anti tear gas gear and may brake in all offices to hide there. As well some might be armed with guns.

What they can do else in the worst case, destroy essentiell computers to ensure no normal operations for a while.

Any PAD supporters still holed up at the airport have ZERO sympathy from me if they get hurt or killed. They know what they did, they know what's coming. You can't just seize an international airport and expect to be greeted with flowers and cookies.

If they had seized the JFK or L.A. airport, it would have ended a long time ago, and probably much worse than the Thai police will hopefully end it tonight. As far as I'm concerned, if you run past security at the JFK or L.A. airport, protesting something or not, you get shot in the back before you get anywhere. The Thai government and police have been more than patient, but enough is enough.

This should do it ... if the military prevents this clash between the PPP/Government/Thaksin forces and the PAD (with many middle aged women and some kids) camped out at the airport then THIS gov't can never function here.

If the PPP/Government/Thaksin forces are allowed to attack the people camped out at the airports and ANY deaths occur I don't see the coalition government holding together and poof .... new elections with blood on the hands of the PPP.

Then there is the chance that the military just says "Time to go folks, we'll take care of running the country until we can have new elections again"

There seems to be nigh onto 0% chance that the PPP/Thaksin gov't can survive this.

I would agree with you that the government probably wont survive evicting the PAD. What I can't understand is your saying "forces are allowed to attack the people camped out at the airports". As you have all the answers, how do you remove them, as leaving them there is not an option? No country in the world would tolerate this situation as you well know, nor would any elected government resign.

The PAD leaders are setting up those idiots as cannon fodder to try and involve the military. When the police try to evict them the PAD is going to attack, it is well known they are carrying weapons. Regardless whether one supports the government or PAD, what PAD is doing is reprehensible. And in the end if it does turn ugly who will those sad brainwashed people be sacrificing for? Sure as hel_l the real PAD backers will not be standing in the firing line with them, they will be at home watching it all on TV.

Do..... if it remains closed "until" 6pm, does that mean after 6pm it "will" be open..... i.e. if it ceases to be clsoed, then it must be open.......

Is that a statement of ultiamtum I wonder? i.e. you (PAD) WILL be out of the airport by 6pm, with or without your cooperation?

Depends on:

1) If the PAD lawyer can reverse the court order to evict them. If not he'll go further up and try again like they did with the government building.

2) How long it takes to get them out.

3) How much damage is done getting them out.

4) How long it takes to secure and clean up the airport

I very much doubt the airport will be open for 6pm.

Any PAD supporters still holed up at the airport have ZERO sympathy from me if they get hurt or killed.

Didn't take long for the usual suspects to arrive and declare violence and death... :o

Edited by hungryhippo

You cannot have people taking over airports under any circumstances and they need to me removed ASAP by any means no other country in the world would allow the takeover of there main airport.

All this talk of new elections is stupid PPP will just be voted back in again Somchai has only just become PM give the guy a chance

Its a democratically elected goverment that has already had a coup against it and survived and were revoted in they chased the next PM out and a new one was appointed the majority of the peoples voice is clear with the exception of the elitists and privaleged few that obviously dont want democracy here in thailand.

I hope the police get in there and clean this mess up right away.

PAD acts like terrorist

so they should be put in jail

Thai people have spoken during elections

it is undemocratic to destroy the country because they lost

whoever is in power , will misuse it any way, any colour, any political strain, in any country

like obama & mccain ... spending 1.5 billion dollars for a job supposedly paying 25O.OOO dollar a year ?

yeah right, when president he will have to "thank" his sponsors with big fat overpriced contracts, paid by the people

it's the same overthere and it's te same everywhere

Off course the leaders opposed to PAD are leading from the front, not. Both sides are as guilty in the fighting. The truth is this country would not know democracy if it bit them on the bum. May be the should do a US style constitutional republic, while still embracing the monarchy.

any experts? how difficult is it to take the airport without guns considering that PAD may has some basic anti tear gas gear and may brake in all offices to hide there. As well some might be armed with guns.

What they can do else in the worst case, destroy essentiell computers to ensure no normal operations for a while.

Fortunately they are not kamikaze. They'll run and will sue the police if one of them broke a nail.

They are cowards but I do not blame them.

It's better to be a coward than a hero.

PAD acts like terrorist

so they should be put in jail

Thai people have spoken during elections

it is undemocratic to destroy the country because they lost

whoever is in power , will misuse it any way, any colour, any political strain, in any country

like obama & mccain ... spending 1.5 billion dollars for a job supposedly paying 25O.OOO dollar a year ?

yeah right, when president he will have to "thank" his sponsors with big fat overpriced contracts, paid by the people

it's the same overthere and it's te same everywhere

You are right but it's so obvious!

Why to write that?

I did not read TV since months.

Please do not tell me that some TV members are still pro PAD.

Maybe some beheaded chicken?

Edited by geovalin

I pray that they won't do this move!

This is what takky could be waiting for to legitimize his claim that he has been victimized by a power hungry military junta!

Looks like the sit out, wait and see who loses temper or patience first is the best way, but then this could go on into eternity...

Make his frozen assets and money available for welfare and donate it around the country one less reason for him to stage his comeback!

Fix the constitution in a way it can be amended any more - over!

You cannot have people taking over airports under any circumstances and they need to me removed ASAP by any means no other country in the world would allow the takeover of there main airport.

All this talk of new elections is stupid PPP will just be voted back in again Somchai has only just become PM give the guy a chance

Its a democratically elected goverment that has already had a coup against it and survived and were revoted in they chased the next PM out and a new one was appointed the majority of the peoples voice is clear with the exception of the elitists and privaleged few that obviously dont want democracy here in thailand.

I hope the police get in there and clean this mess up right away.

Not again!!!!!

the government was NOT democratically elected therefore PPP will get dissolved if they can't change the laws.

the PPP just got 1/3 of the votes and most of the coalition partner promised before the election that they would never make a coalition with PPP.

Yeah right, irresponsible people taking children to a demonstration Saddam Hussein would have done the same! Bring on the snipers. These criminals have caused damage enough. We have to make an omelette right now, and we have to break a few eggs. starting with the leaders of the PAD

the government was NOT democratically elected therefore PPP will get dissolved if they can't change the laws.

the PPP just got 1/3 of the votes and most of the coalition partner promised before the election that they would never make a coalition with PPP.

Sorry to busy your fantasy land bubble, but the government WAS democratically elected.

And if you come up with the bribes that the PPP supposedly gave to voters, how do you answer to the fact that the PAD is paying every demonstrator at the airport? Isn't that bribing too? Face it, both sides pay for votes and support.

Any PAD supporters still holed up at the airport have ZERO sympathy from me if they get hurt or killed. They know what they did, they know what's coming. You can't just seize an international airport and expect to be greeted with flowers and cookies.

If they had seized the JFK or L.A. airport, it would have ended a long time ago, and probably much worse than the Thai police will hopefully end it tonight. As far as I'm concerned, if you run past security at the JFK or L.A. airport, protesting something or not, you get shot in the back before you get anywhere. The Thai government and police have been more than patient, but enough is enough.

Well over 100 airport security breaches have happened in the USA since TSA took over airport security and include JFK and LAX and nobody has been shot in the back :o

I know ... some people are worried about international mail and not people's lives ... but get real!

We have to make an omelette right now, and we have to break a few eggs. starting with the leaders of the PAD

I don't think Sonthi has eggs.

Sonthi is not a leader of PAD, Sondhi is. Sonthi is a General (Ret) that led the 2006 coup and is not a player in these events.

We have to make an omelette right now, and we have to break a few eggs. starting with the leaders of the PAD

I don't think Sonthi has eggs.

Sonthi is not a leader of PAD, Sondhi is. Sonthi is a General (Ret) that led the 2006 coup and is not a player in these events.

Sorry, I meant Sondhi.