State Of Emergency Declared

george

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why is there no TV feed? just ads? has it kicked off?

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/

LOL, love the elevator musack!

we interupt this seige for a word from our sponsors...

Try http://www.astv-tv.com/#

I've found thailandoutlook.tv to be having problems. Web page has been up and down all day.

On my screen everything is normal.

It looks like their next target is to create total traffic congestion in Bangkok so that nobody can go to work anymore tomorrow morning.

Oh PAD, how much you must love Thailand.

Woo! Three day weekend! :o

Edited by hungryhippo

post-67611-1227808094_thumb.jpg

Another for translation. This one is cute, it has a heart. :o

Dtong garn rot rab phi nong

tam bpai niab suwarnabhumi :D

Cant see the Thai Characters on my keyboard in this light to look up the words I don't know.

something like need a carthing for go to niab? suwarnabhumi.

HELP!

for the reason you used the words "terrorist scum"..sounds like an American term...to me "terrorist scum" are such as the bali bombers ect..these people may be a little ignorant..maybe a bit "challenged" but they are ordinary Thai people and most thai people from my experience are basically good natured...and terrorist scum usually have exremist religious beliefs

Have there or have there not been people killed as a direct result of situations created by PAD supporters over the past few weeks/months?

So do we rely on the media?

They all have their bosses who have different agendas.A few months ago i read a foriegn paper reporting a person was killed AT an incident yet another paper said the death was due to heart attack or some such other cause

hi -

"The emergency decree orders the police to restore order and gives the military the right to help to "restore order, allow the suspension of civil liberties, ban public gatherings of more than five people and bar the media from reporting news that causes panic."

amarka

for the reason you used the words "terrorist scum"..sounds like an American term...to me "terrorist scum" are such as the bali bombers ect..these people may be a little ignorant..maybe a bit "challenged" but they are ordinary Thai people and most thai people from my experience are basically good natured...and terrorist scum usually have exremist religious beliefs

Ok, it wasn't my post you were referring to, however I do agree that any PAD protestor willing to use another person as a human shield is as good as "terrorist scum"...and that's coming from a non-American. Surprised?

sorry i responded to the wrong post there..

i actually took the human shield thing as statement that they were using their own bodies

hi -

"The emergency decree orders the police to restore order and gives the military the right to help to "restore order, allow the suspension of civil liberties, ban public gatherings of more than five people and bar the media from reporting news that causes panic."

amarka

I am still getting the feed .....

For Christs sake

THEY WHERE USING AN ANALOGY.

Here's the quote form Reuters:

Protesters remain resolute that their show of force will continue.

"We will not leave. We will use human shields against the police if they try to disperse us," PAD leader Suriyasai Katasila told Reuters news agency.

Please explain how this is an analogy. An analogy to what?

It is UNSTABLE. What planet are you living on?

Unstable in political terms...Yes..but does that mean the PAD is going to break down my hotel door and and strangle me with a yellow shirt..should i and every other farang leave the country by train??

If you want to live in a country that respects democracy, personal freedom and the rule of law you should leave any way you can. None of those three items apply to Thailand. And if you have children here, do you want them to live in a place with no sunshine laws, where information to the public from ALL public agencies is restricted and where they can't go more than five years without a coup? Get on that train brutha! I'm leaving by plane in the next few weeks when flights start running. I started packing today. NO KIDDING.

well that is a huge statement.maybe ill take my channces and wait until after the kings address

Here's the quote form Reuters:

Protesters remain resolute that their show of force will continue.

"We will not leave. We will use human shields against the police if they try to disperse us," PAD leader Suriyasai Katasila told Reuters news agency.

Please explain how this is an analogy. An analogy to what?

They're saying the protesters will stop the police from making them (all PAD) leave. It's just a translation error and you're nit picking words.

Edited by hungryhippo

Ok, it wasn't my post you were referring to, however I do agree that any PAD protestor willing to use another person as a human shield is as good as "terrorist scum"...and that's coming from a non-American. Surprised?

i actually took the human shield thing as statement that they were using their own bodies

"we will use human shields" is not the same as "we will be human shields".

I took it the way it was written.

Just felt that I had to add something after reading the 13 pages of this thread.

The other day I was on the sky train in Bangkok passing some factories at lunchtime.

One of them had a game of football with one team wearing red red shirts and the other team wearing yellow shirts.

If only this could be settled with a game of football.

Just felt that I had to add something after reading the 13 pages of this thread.

The other day I was on the sky train in Bangkok passing some factories at lunchtime.

One of them had a game of football with one team wearing red red shirts and the other team wearing yellow shirts.

I guess the difference is that a game of football has rules and a referee that cant be bought

Airport raid may backfire on the PAD

By The Nation

Published on November 27, 2008

Win or lose, the anti-govt movement will pay a big price for Suvarnabhumi chaos and closure

Sondhi Limthongkul was pleading for public sympathy on Tuesday night. We regret causing a major inconvenience, he said, referring to the seizure of Suvarnabhumi Airport, but we have no choice. His political movement, the People's Alliance for Democracy, has been the target for sporadic bomb attacks, and the rising death and injury tolls are adding to the tragedy of October 7, when police fired tear gas at Parliament-bound protesters, resulting in deaths and injuries.The PAD's pain is understandable. Its reaction and responses are hardly so. When thousands of PAD members blockaded Suvarnabhumi Airport on Tuesday and penetrated the passenger terminal and scuffled with officials, causing a total shutdown of the airport, what unfolded before us was the transformation of Luke Skywalker into Darth Vader.

Imagine a son about to board a plane to go back home to see his dying mother. Imagine patients in need of urgent medical help stranded. Business deals delayed or cancelled. Countless appointments missed. The point is, if these circumstances seem trivial in the PAD's eyes, how can the movement ever expect others, never mind the whole world, to appreciate its own situation? Understanding works both ways. If the PAD wants others' sympathy, it has to give it out. It's as simple as that.

The PAD's latest, most provocative and controversial strategy may yet prove effective. With the military caught in the middle and reluctant to use force either to end the airport blockade or remove the current government, Somchai Wongsawat's administration is looking like a bigger lame duck by the hour. But whatever the outcome of the Suvarnabhumi siege, the PAD will not get the only thing that is as important as Somchai's resignation - public understanding and sympathy.

This is not civil disobedience. It's the PAD holding travellers hostage. It's the PAD's leaders telling their loyal followers that if someone inflicts harm on you, it's okay to get even at the expense of innocent others. The airport seizure caused more trouble to people whose sympathy the PAD had sought than the politicians the movement has tried to dislodge. The travellers suffered real human ordeals. Somchai and his government are only dealt political blows. How the PAD measures the plight of these two groups goes a long way to telling us its principles and ideologies. Having fought Thaksin Shinawatra and his alleged nominees by standing firm on the issue of conflicts of interests, the PAD has found itself in serious danger of being unravelled ideologically through conflicting values.

Whereas the government and Thaksin must be smiling, the real price the PAD is paying is not the dwindling sympathy from neutrals or the ammunition the airport affair has given its critics. "I'm so saddened and disappointed," said a man who only weeks ago went in and out of Government House on a daily basis to support the movement. "I'm sorry I joined this rally." He had watched the PAD cross the line before and tried to understand the "necessity". This time it was simply too much.

It is people like him who are the real cost of the Suvarnabhumi strategy. But the biggest price to pay may be from those PAD members joining the airport blockade or cheering the move back to Government House. The leaders have won their unquestioned loyalty, but risk blurring their consciences once and for all.

The PAD used to be a political movement that did the wrong things for the right reasons. It's impossible to consider the airport seizure to be morally right because it affects hundreds of thousands of innocent people - the passengers, their relatives, friends, or business partners. That damage cannot be translated into financial figures. That nobody got hurt in the airport drama doesn't mean there is no pain.

The PAD leaders claim they are abandoning "Ahimsa" (non-violence and non-aggression) because its members have become victims and nobody is helping. That is all right as long as what happened on Tuesday is shrouded with proclaimed noble goals. When the action is explained in the simplest terms - "We want you to resign or a large number of innocent travellers won't be going home" - what is the difference between that and holding innocent passers-by at knife-point to force a police officer to lay down his gun?

I agree jobsworth.

What a lovely sentiment.

If only eh!

hi -

nice idea..... or even over a cold beer....

my round!

amarka

"we will use human shields" is not the same as "we will be human shields".

I took it the way it was written.

well what other human shields are they going use?...there will only be yellow shirted ones around them...and im pretty confident no farang will be around rubberneckin!

Unstable in political terms...Yes..but does that mean the PAD is going to break down my hotel door and and strangle me with a yellow shirt..should i and every other farang leave the country by train??

If you want to live in a country that respects democracy, personal freedom and the rule of law you should leave any way you can. None of those three items apply to Thailand. And if you have children here, do you want them to live in a place with no sunshine laws, where information to the public from ALL public agencies is restricted and where they can't go more than five years without a coup? Get on that train brutha! I'm leaving by plane in the next few weeks when flights start running. I started packing today. NO KIDDING.

I am guessing you have not been in Thailand very long. I don't care about "Democracy" if it isn't democratic in nature. Personal Freedom? Thaksin sure clamped down on that! Rule of Law? The "war on drugs" sure showed us how important that is here! (at least under Thaksin ---- )

I didn't move to Thailand for it to be a nanny state. OR a police-state. I moved here because I love it here!

I absolutely believe "If you don't love it you should leave!" I do not however mean that the way some people do ... I mean it to be "Why would you live in a place you don't love if you have any choice in the matter!"

I guess the difference is that a game of football has rules and a referee that cant be bought

Well that about the referee is not entirely true...

I wasnt referring to any one referee in particular, just to be clear

1) No credible reports of the PAD paying demonstrators are out there ... not even in the Thai press or media outlets.

No, the EC has found the PPP guilty and sent the case to the courts and it is scheduled to be resolved before mid-december.

(The courts COULD solve this by releasing an early report!)

Imagine what would happen if they don't see a reason to dissolve the party, all hel_l would break loose.

Until that time, it's a legitmate government that is being held hostage (together with pretty much the rest of Bangkok) by a minority, that have pretty scary plans, don't think twice about using violence, and are well on their way to do some serious damage to the country that they claim to love so much.

The only reason why this government should step down, is because they have not dealt with this scumm three months ago. The same goes for the inactivity of the police, who apparently think that writing tickets for not wearing a motorcycle helmet, or getting other tea money opportunities are more important than maintaining law and order.

Edited by sjaak327

looks like the roads to swampy are cleared?

C63632A1-9288-7CBB-8EE3B6967C7C3F1B.jpg

Yellows sir, thousands of 'em!

HA HA...good one SomNamNah

is anyone gonna go to sleep tonight!?

Not with someone commenting on the potential for the raid to happen now with spotting the police cars near the airport.

I am guessing you have not been in Thailand very long. I don't care about "Democracy" if it isn't democratic in nature. Personal Freedom? Thaksin sure clamped down on that! Rule of Law? The "war on drugs" sure showed us how important that is here! (at least under Thaksin ---- )

I didn't move to Thailand for it to be a nanny state. OR a police-state. I moved here because I love it here!

I absolutely believe "If you don't love it you should leave!" I do not however mean that the way some people do ... I mean it to be "Why would you live in a place you don't love if you have any choice in the matter!"

My opinion of Thailand has permanently changed for the worse after this and I used to be a huge fan of Thailand and even enjoyed the wild west rolling chaos that went with it. But I now see the darkside when the rule of law is used only when it is convenient. The law is not meant to please all the people all the time which is impossible. It's meant for the common good which means some sacrifices need to be made. It's one thing to wait until things have gone too far and another to anticipate they are getting there. So I respect those who are leaving now. I would if I could. I know this is an extreme analogy but imagine the Jews in Germany that thought things would never escalate to the level they did vs. the ones who left early. I'd much rather be safe than sorry.

Personally I would never retire in Thailand. The health risks are too great with 2nd rate medical care, poor sanitation and poor access to buildings. Also if you get in an accident there is no personal responsibility, no recourse to damages or minimal recourse. I used to think it was charming and enlightening to be part of a developing country vs. a stagnant already industrial one. I now see all the benefits of the first world and if it being a little boring well that's a small price to pay. I know and love many Thai people and they are all saddened by what is happening to their country. All they want is the chance to earn decent wages for a day's work after having studied hard at school but due to a corrupt few they are stuck in an economic dead end. I experience the good and beauty of Thai culture everyday but it is being swallowed by the lunatics running the asylum. I have traveled all over Thailand and have seen it's splendor but just because you love someone/something doesn't mean you should let it keep slapping you around. I have lost patience for Thailand to go through their growing pains. 0 steps forward and 10 steps backwards spells bad things for Thailand for years to come. The crime, anger and waste that will come out of the deep economic funk Thailand is about to be ensnared in has not even come yet. Thailand will fall further and further behind the rest of the world and this is an exciting time to be part of the world as it advances. I don't feel like being part of a failed social experiment.

It's a shame a minority of people and just a few wrong turns can set the country back as far as this will but that is what it is. Once my Fiance's visa is ready I will not be coming back here for a long time and when I do it will definitely only be for brief visits.

Until that time, it's a legitmate government that is being held hostage (together with pretty much the rest of Bangkok) by a minority, that have pretty scary plans, don't think twice about using violence, and are well on their way to do some serious damage to the country that they claim to love so much.

The only reason why this government should step down, is because they have not dealt with this scumm three months ago. The same goes for the inactivity of the police, who apparently think that writing tickets for not wearing a motorcycle helmet, or getting other tea money opportunities are more important than maintaining law and order.

guess the reason for that could be that the police and army support what you call a minority Edited by rafval

Well that about the referee is not entirely true...

I wasnt referring to any one referee in particular, just to be clear

letting the PAD sit in the airport this long is akin to giving them a 3rd yellow card...