State Of Emergency Declared

george

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is UNSTABLE. What planet are you living on?

Unstable in political terms...Yes..but does that mean the PAD is going to break down my hotel door and and strangle me with a yellow shirt..should i and every other farang leave the country by train??

If you want to live in a country that respects democracy, personal freedom and the rule of law you should leave any way you can. None of those three items apply to Thailand. And if you have children here, do you want them to live in a place with no sunshine laws, where information to the public from ALL public agencies is restricted and where they can't go more than five years without a coup? Get on that train brutha! I'm leaving by plane in the next few weeks when flights start running. I started packing today. NO KIDDING.

I am guessing you have not been in Thailand very long. I don't care about "Democracy" if it isn't democratic in nature. Personal Freedom? Thaksin sure clamped down on that! Rule of Law? The "war on drugs" sure showed us how important that is here! (at least under Thaksin ---- )

I didn't move to Thailand for it to be a nanny state. OR a police-state. I moved here because I love it here!

I absolutely believe "If you don't love it you should leave!" I do not however mean that the way some people do ... I mean it to be "Why would you live in a place you don't love if you have any choice in the matter!"

well said..people still go to bali and state they will not allow terrorists to dictate their lives and moovements..and these people here dont have the mindset of nasty terrorists who will attack anyone or anywhere at random..

bon voyage to those that think they have to leave

Reply to Wasabi ------

Have a nice trip!

We obviously see things very differently! I wouldn't want be anywhere else (If I did, I have the wherewithall to be there!) Many people are not cut out for life abroad for whatever reasons and there is no shame at all in that! I knew Thailand's history when I moved here. I love the life here. I enjoy the people and more-so the culture. I live in an area with great healthcare, and accessible buildings etc. The things occurring this week in BKK are a blip. they have happened before in one way or another and will likely happen again!

I LOVE that the people here are not so repressive that the first instinct when faced like a crisis like this is to drag out the guns, and I am saddened by the fact that some people lob grenades etc when they are frustrated by not having the dominant position they crave so dearly.

I was thinking today .... if the PAD were actually a political party as opposed to a movement to rid this country of some of it's worst corruption and corrupters; would I be as supportive. The answer is no. Since the PAD is NOT in this for a "power grab" and are actually looking for someone else to take power and make changes, I can support them.

Yes Thailand is in for some financial woes, but what is happening now is not a significant contributing factor to what is ahead. The world economy is the issue. Hopefully the baht will be allowed to weaken some more, enough to stimulate exports and this will help! Auto manufacturers closing etc (though it will be claimed later that this is related to the PAD) will be major issues as will labor elsewhere being cheaper.

I turned down the volume on ASTV --- which I never watch --- to get a break from this nightmare and am heading to bed soon. With hopes that when I wake up this will be over and have ended peacefully!

Edited by jdinasia

for the reason you used the words "terrorist scum"..sounds like an American term...to me "terrorist scum" are such as the bali bombers ect..these people may be a little ignorant..maybe a bit "challenged" but they are ordinary Thai people and most thai people from my experience are basically good natured...and terrorist scum usually have exremist religious beliefs

Ok, it wasn't my post you were referring to, however I do agree that any PAD protestor willing to use another person as a human shield is as good as "terrorist scum"...and that's coming from a non-American. Surprised?

sorry i responded to the wrong post there..

i actually took the human shield thing as statement that they were using their own bodies

"We will not leave. We will use human shields against the police if they try to disperse us," PAD leader Suriyasai Katasila told Reuters news agency.

"we will use human shields" is not the same as "we will be human shields".

I took it the way it was written.

well what other human shields are they going use?...there will only be yellow shirted ones around them...and im pretty confident no farang will be around rubberneckin!

I have no idea exactly what they plan to do. Perhaps they'll use their babies and elderly as human shields.

Until that time, it's a legitmate government that is being held hostage (together with pretty much the rest of Bangkok) by a minority, that have pretty scary plans, don't think twice about using violence, and are well on their way to do some serious damage to the country that they claim to love so much.

The only reason why this government should step down, is because they have not dealt with this scumm three months ago. The same goes for the inactivity of the police, who apparently think that writing tickets for not wearing a motorcycle helmet, or getting other tea money opportunities are more important than maintaining law and order.

guess the reason for that could be that the police and army support what you call a minority

I didn't mention the army. I was only talking about the police. They should do their job, and in such a way that the end of the protest or occupation is reached with as much regards to human life as is possible. Whether or not they support the PAD (which obviously wasn't very clear a few weeks back, judging from the violence they have applied). is of no consequence.

for the reason you used the words "terrorist scum"..sounds like an American term...to me "terrorist scum" are such as the bali bombers ect..these people may be a little ignorant..maybe a bit "challenged" but they are ordinary Thai people and most thai people from my experience are basically good natured...and terrorist scum usually have exremist religious beliefs

Ok, it wasn't my post you were referring to, however I do agree that any PAD protestor willing to use another person as a human shield is as good as "terrorist scum"...and that's coming from a non-American. Surprised?

i actually took the human shield thing as statement that they were using their own bodies

"We will not leave. We will use human shields against the police if they try to disperse us," PAD leader Suriyasai Katasila told Reuters news agency.

well what other human shields are they going use?...there will only be yellow shirted ones around them...and im pretty confident no farang will be around rubberneckin!

I have no idea exactly what they plan to do. Perhaps they'll use their babies and elderly as human shields.

do you honestly think they will use babies and the elderly as human shields?...are you for real?..thais respect their elders far more than westerners ever would..why am i wasting my time replying to this crap...go to bed,you must be VERY tired

do you honestly think they will use babies and the elderly as human shields?...are you for real?..thais respect their elders far more than westerners ever would..why am i wasting my time replying to this crap...go to bed,you must be VERY tired

I'm not tired at all. I'm off to the gym in about 30 minutes.

What I said before stands. I don't know who they will use for human shields. PAD leader Suriyasai Katasila told Reuters news agency that they will use human shields, so she'd be the best one to ask.

If there is bloodshed when the police try to clear out the airports, the military might have to step in. That could mean a de facto coup, even though the Royal Thai Army does not want to take power.

In my humble opinion, as long as the military obeys the orders of the elected civilian government, it is no coup. If the police fail to clear the airports, and the prime minister sends in the army, it is not a "de facto coup".

I think everyone should relax.

All this is no big deal.

Airport closed? Inconvenient for a some travelers. Once my flight was delayed for 24 hours in Ho Chi Minh City, another time for about 12 hours in Rome. Annoying, but I lived.

Permanent Damage to the Thai economy? Not good for tourism but nothing is permanent.

People will still come, not too many people will remember this incident in 6 months.

Unless you're traveling this week, none of this will likely effect you at all.

Just like the transitions from the Thaksin government to the post-coup government to the PPP. A few annoying back-and-forth visa and business law changes but that's par for the course here.

PAD are terrorists? They've only fought with people fighting them (police and DAAD/UDD).

They don't have any hostages. "Human shields" are themselves.

People wonder why the police or army haven't cleared the airport?

Thailand is different western-style democracies.

The Police and Army here have their own political agendas which might not agree with those of the elected government. They won't always do what a Somchai wants.

In the case of the Army, they have several different factions with varying agendas.

All of the parties involved have brought this situation upon themselves. This struggle boils down to only pro-/anti-Thaksin; none of the groups are fighting over any real policies.

PAD is protested almost exclusively against the perceived influence of Thaksin in Thai politics. Don't talk about the 70-30 appointed government; most of the protesters are simple anti-Thaksin.

DAAD/UDD is fighting simply for the return of Thaksin. There is no threat to 30 Baht scheme, to loan programs, etc., no matter who is in charge.

The PPP's stand seems to be only about Thaksin. If it were really about other policies, they would have chosen less confrontational PM's and actually tried to get things done. Samak? Would be a great defender of democracy if he hadn't spent his career suppressing it. Somchai? Perceived link to Thaksin is obvious.

Thaksin's government itself did some good things (modernization of the economy), some things with good intentions but not necessarily well-executed or thought out (health care and loan programs), some bad things (restrictions on the press) and some very bad things (war on drugs/extra-judicial killings).

In the end, his downfall was picking fights with the the established power structure and being too cavalier about using the government for his own business/financial interests.

This is just Thai politics. Relax, stay out of the way, and you'll do just fine.

Tomorrow, I'm going to eat some kow mot gai, looking forward to it.

All this is no big deal.

Airport closed? Inconvenient for a some travelers. Once my flight was delayed for 24 hours in Ho Chi Minh City, another time for about 12 hours in Rome. Annoying, but I lived.

Permanent Damage to the Thai economy? Not good for tourism but nothing is permanent.

People will still come, not too many people will remember this incident in 6 months.

Just like the transitions from the Thaksin government to the post-coup government to the PPP. A few annoying back-and-forth visa and business law changes but that's par for the course here.

PAD are terrorists? They've only fought with people fighting them (police and DAAD/UDD).

The Police and Army here have their own political agendas which might not agree with those of the elected government. They won't always do what a Somchai wants.

In the case of the Army, they have several different factions with varying agendas.

All of the parties involved have brought this situation upon themselves. This struggle boils down to only pro-/anti-Thaksin; none of the groups are fighting over any real policies.

PAD is protested almost exclusively against the perceived influence of Thaksin in Thai politics. Don't talk about the 70-30 appointed government; most of the protesters are simple anti-Thaksin.

DAAD/UDD is fighting simply for the return of Thaksin. There is no threat to 30 Baht scheme, to loan programs, etc., no matter who is in charge.

The PPP's stand seems to be only about Thaksin. If it were really about other policies, they would have chosen less confrontational PM's and actually tried to get things done. Samak? Would be a great defender of democracy if he hadn't spent his career suppressing it. Somchai? Perceived link to Thaksin is obvious.

Thaksin's government itself did some good things (modernization of the economy), some things with good intentions but not necessarily well-executed or thought out (health care and loan programs), some bad things (restrictions on the press) and some very bad things (war on drugs/extra-judicial killings).

In the end, his downfall was picking fights with the the established power structure and being too cavalier about using the government for his own business/financial interests.

This is just Thai politics. Relax, stay out of the way, and you'll do just fine.

Oh...ok. Thanks for clearing it all up.

If there is bloodshed when the police try to clear out the airports, the military might have to step in. That could mean a de facto coup, even though the Royal Thai Army does not want to take power.

In my humble opinion, as long as the military obeys the orders of the elected civilian government, it is no coup. If the police fail to clear the airports, and the prime minister sends in the army, it is not a "de facto coup".

The post meant that the Army might intervene on their own to stop fighting between the police and PAD.

The PM asked the Air Force and Navy (instead of the Army) to back up the Police because the PM knows that he doesn't have Anupong's support.

I'm not tired at all. I'm off to the gym in about 30 minutes.

What I said before stands. I don't know who they will use for human shields. PAD leader Suriyasai Katasila told Reuters news agency that they will use human shields, so she'd be the best one to ask.

Fair enough..to change the subject..since you are a fellow aussie and all im interested on your opinion on this...it has to do with australian women..the mere mention of the word "thailand" in regards to a guy visiting or staying is usually greeted with a sneer and contempt followed by the assumption that you are the lowest form of sleazy scumbag and are just going to thailand for dodgey sex purposes.It is one thing that really gets my goat..yet for a female party or couples to go is perfectly fine..have you experienced this????

All this is no big deal.

absolutely, might go have some kow mun gai myself, I suspect its more then just Taksin tho, its the whole bunch of convicted criminals or those with cases pending that makes the whole thing look like a joke, democratic or not

This is great...almost feel like I am back in Vegas.....what is the over/under on the number of domestic terrorists KIA????? ...anyone taking action on this or any other side bets?...hoping its over fast and can get back to some important topics like the rising/ falling baht or the current price for ST......too many pseudo political scientists here...and the band played on.....lets get ready to rum-m-m-ble!!!!

Fair enough..to change the subject..since you are a fellow aussie and all im interested on your opinion on this...it has to do with australian women..the mere mention of the word "thailand" in regards to a guy visiting or staying is usually greeted with a sneer and contempt followed by the assumption that you are the lowest form of sleazy scumbag and are just going to thailand for dodgey sex purposes.It is one thing that really gets my goat..yet for a female party or couples to go is perfectly fine..have you experienced this????

I have.

I drove me crazy because I was coming up here to visit family, and all the friends of my partner were telling her I was going to be all kinds of unfaithful no mater what I said Etc...

Most of these people I thought would have been my friend also, after hearing that I wasn't so sure they knew me.

Edited by Wuffy

It's a bit off topic.

I've lived in Asia with my Filipino gf for 5 years already so I've never had to fact the wrath of females back home. Having an age gap of 29 years will certainly draw some attention if I ever go home.

I have.

I drove me crazy because I was coming up here to visit family, and all the friends of my partner were telling her I was going to be all kinds of unfaithful no mater what I said Etc...

Most of these people I thought would have been my friend also, after hearing that I wasn't so sure they knew me.

It's a bit off topic.

I've lived in Asia with my Filipino gf for 5 years already so I've never had to fact the wrath of females back home. Having an age gap of 29 years will certainly draw some attention if I ever go home.

It will do troppo! at least you can tell em why settle for a beaten up old kombie van when you can have a brand new volvo...sounds like we are all in the same boat there.

Looks like things are starting now... PAD at ASTV and Don Muang attacked around 1:50AM.

I was watching ASTV. The newscaster jumped offscreen, and then then you could hear gunshots and yelling. The camera kept on the desk for a couple minutes then turned black. You could still hear yelling but the server stopped responding a few minutes later and the feed cut.

I'm watching the feed on www.astv-tv.com too.

At Suvarnabhumi they've just had a bit of a sing song, up in Chiang Mai there's a couple of guys doing stand up with lots of cheering and clappy hands going. How live are these feeds?

Can't they just cut the power, leave them all in the dark, and surely they'll be bored by morning time and making their way home on their own?