State Of Emergency Declared

george

Any PAD supporters still holed up at the airport have ZERO sympathy from me if they get hurt or killed. They know what they did, they know what's coming. You can't just seize an international airport and expect to be greeted with flowers and cookies.

If they had seized the JFK or L.A. airport, it would have ended a long time ago, and probably much worse than the Thai police will hopefully end it tonight. As far as I'm concerned, if you run past security at the JFK or L.A. airport, protesting something or not, you get shot in the back before you get anywhere. The Thai government and police have been more than patient, but enough is enough.

Oh yeah killing people and taking away their freedom of speech will solve everything...............NOT!!!

It's good to see that Thailand is more civilised and democratic then the US is and allows freedom.

So a few people get stranded, is that the end of the world?

Violence begats violence

Peace begats peace!

I cant fathom callous comments like yours mate?

You couldn't care less if people died ?????

<snip>

Yes "Civilized and Democratic" explain why Thailand has had 18 military coups in the last 50 years... and why people are shooting and bombing each other in the streets right now.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Proud Thailand as caricature

Thailand is sadly turning into a caricature of a nation before the world's very eyes. If the treasonous subversion by a few well-connected agitators is not rolled back and the instigators made to answer to the law of the land, it could be total anarchy soon.

The sight of paid ruffians occupying Bangkok's main airports for three days now (even the sensitive control tower was taken over) has been vividly damaging to the country.

This was recognised even by Sondhi Limthongkul. He is a key mover behind the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), a populist movement which has broken just about every law in the book in facilitating the removal of elected governments that bears traces of Thaksinism and does not accord with his idea of representative democracy. Immodestly, this is based on ability and worth as he defines them.

Sondhi apologised to travellers for the airport disruptions, adding the cheerful rider that the action was meant to force Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat's resignation. He should be made to apologise to the entire Thai nation, for sabotaging the national interest. It would be appropriate if he was also taken into custody. At his urging and that of PAD co-leaders such as General Chamlong Srimuang, the elected government under the banner of the pro-Thaksin People's Power Party was reduced to seeking temporary office space in an old airport lounge, and even that has been taken away. Somchai had to conduct a Cabinet meeting in provincial Chiang Mai yesterday (November 27).

He is right to refuse calls, from the PAD as well as army chief Anupong Paochinda, to resign and hold new elections. He deserves to win broad support when saying he was staying to defend democracy. This is a test Thailand will not want to fail in. A confrontation is building against the military, which for its own reasons has resisted suggestions from concerned Thais that the army should take control.

A military interregnum is not what the country needs, although it is conceded the present mess is worse than a coup situation. For Thailand's sake and the continuance of fragile democratic institutions, no elected government should be run out of office by persons and special interests acting unconstitutionally. The PAD can register itself as a party and try to win office legally, but it must abandon its laughable proposition that only one-third of parliament shall be elected and two-thirds appointed. Class-based representation is the road to perdition. But for the Somchai government to complete its term, the PAD's considerable influence has to wilt by attrition. Time to neutralise its leadership?

Source: Editorial Opinion from The Straits Times - 28 November 2008

Why should we have sympathy for fools who put themselves in harm's way? If it takes a few deaths to get the airport running again, then so be it.

So you want to make martyrs out of these fools? Your cunning plan has not been thought all the way through.

It's not my plan and whatever happens will happen irrespective of my own opinion. If people want to take risks with their lives by doing stupid things, then that is their decision. No sympathy from me watsoever will they get.

Most imporatantly, the show much go on, and that means your beloved PAD members must be extracted by whatever means it takes.

This entire debate - not to mention the hours and hours of TV discussions and media analysis - is a complete waste of time.

Everyone with anything more than a rudimentary knowledge of Thailand knows what it takes to end this debacle. As that subject cannot be discussed, every other argument or conjecture is just pissing in the wind.

OK, as I expected (and said on Tues. in another thread), the SoE has been declared. No surprise here, whatsoever.

Let's skip to the end game and work backwards. The military supports the power group we can't discuss on TV. Thaksin, who has been perceived as a threat to this power group, has publicly said he is returning and will re-enter Thai politics. This leaves the military no choice. Expect to see a national unity government installed with the power to change the constitution which will install new politics structured so that democratic elections going forward will not allow the northeast to again elect people perceived to be a threat to that power group the military protects.

Now, how to get from a PPP led government with a majority of seats to a national unity government? For sure, PM Somchai is no fool, hence, we are seeing his reticence to quit and/or dissolve parliament. He knows there is an outside chance if he does dissolve parliament that some of his coalition parties could join with the Dem's, kicking the PPP out.

The ball is therefore in the military's court. From Anupong's comments, he doesn't want to act too soon, but as he has already said, he can do a coup in one hour. Recent troop movements makes that all the more possible and rumors are rife in Bangkok that something may happen tonight.

I think Anupong will play a bit more of a waiting game than that to see if a civil war starts (UDD - red vs. PAD - yellow). If it does, then he can enter the fray as the good guy restoring peace to Bangkok. If he sees the PAD being strong armed too violently by the police, that would be another invitation to jump in. He would much prefer a catalyst to where the military coming in is viewed as the peacekeeper, not as a takeover force. It always looks better to be invited into a house than breaking the front door down.

Anyway, one way or another, the military will protect those they are sworn to protect and in doing so I believe will install the national unity government that has been talked about for so long and ultimately, new politics will be installed.

What is this power group you speak of?

This entire debate - not to mention the hours and hours of TV discussions and media analysis - is a complete waste of time.

Everyone with anything more than a rudimentary knowledge of Thailand knows what it takes to end this debacle. As that subject cannot be discussed, every other argument or conjecture is just pissing in the wind.

best post so far !!!

Agreed!

In the meanwhile we are waiting for news.

It is amazing to me that governments and newspapers in the west still choose to cling to un-truths to try and bolster up their own claims that democracy (as imagined by western politicians) works.

The amazing thing about Thailand right now is that the whole airport standoff basically comes down to two arguments. One about the freedom to protest, and the other about that protest blocking other people's freedom to travel. In the US, UK or anywhere else in the world these people would have been forcibly and violently removed from the airports within hours. Thailand has a better overall idea of the basic tenets of freedom, democracy and respect for your fellow man than any other country I have ever lived in. Bravo.

Why do I say that? Well, in the west 'freedom' and 'democracy' loosely translated means 'we must keep the financial machine running'. Here in Thailand the country (accidentally or by design) has chosen that this issue is more important than keeping part of 'the financial machine running'. They have chosen to solve the problem, one way or the other, with everyones input and a free and open exchange of views, rather than closing down the people that are causing the country discomfort in the name of big business, under the guise of 'democracy'.

The PAD are not making violent protests. Although that article does not say that, several news channels glibly report PAD, bombs, and violence in the same breath. The only violence is coming from the Red Shirts.

The Straits article makes an erroneous claim that PAD want 25% of the electorate chosen by methods other than voting. i.e. To be appointed. This is no longer the case. PAD have abandoned this idea as it was unpopular. Showing very clearly that PAD, unlike the current 'government' (if you can call them that), do actually listen to people..

I for one am all for people having different weighting applied to their votes, or having some portion of government appointed by a monarch, or the judiciary. Because having government voted in by a mass majority who have their vote bought is far worse than what PAD initially suggested. No matter, anyway, they have withdrawn the suggestion and now support 100% voted in governments.

I personally would support a weighted voting system, where a test administered to every member of society would give their vote a specific value based on their un-partisan political awareness, and IQ. It would stop the sort of farce we have had in Thailand with the PPP, and the sort of farce that happened in the USA for the last 8 years.

Stupid people, and I am not saying that about people in the north of Thailand - rather middle Americans - and people who's vote can be bought should not be aloud to vote. Period.

Edited by scratt

I totally agree: so let's see whose votes should count and whose shouldn't count:

Take away the right from women first.

Then let only land holders (with no mortgage or payments due) vote.

Oh, and lets add some educational requirements.

Sounds like a good system to me!

i see the police are standing on the overpass looking at the airport. there might be 4 of them, sounds like excessive use of force, but whatever it takes. sidenote, they're all just sitting there in the airport with those hand clappers. are you serious? if it gets cold are they gonna bust out these?

ACU-11676.jpg

Isn't the wrong finger up? :o

I agree

I totally agree: so let's see whose votes should count and whose shouldn't count:

Take away the right from women first.

Then let only land holders (with no mortgage or payments due) vote.

Oh, and lets add some educational requirements.

Sounds like a good system to me!

A Thai friend put it this way: There is a right way and a wrong way and then there is the Thai way.

They will work it out.

OK, as I expected (and said on Tues. in another thread), the SoE has been declared. No surprise here, whatsoever.

Let's skip to the end game and work backwards. The military supports the power group we can't discuss on TV. Thaksin, who has been perceived as a threat to this power group, has publicly said he is returning and will re-enter Thai politics. This leaves the military no choice. Expect to see a national unity government installed with the power to change the constitution which will install new politics structured so that democratic elections going forward will not allow the northeast to again elect people perceived to be a threat to that power group the military protects.

Now, how to get from a PPP led government with a majority of seats to a national unity government? For sure, PM Somchai is no fool, hence, we are seeing his reticence to quit and/or dissolve parliament. He knows there is an outside chance if he does dissolve parliament that some of his coalition parties could join with the Dem's, kicking the PPP out.

The ball is therefore in the military's court. From Anupong's comments, he doesn't want to act too soon, but as he has already said, he can do a coup in one hour. Recent troop movements makes that all the more possible and rumors are rife in Bangkok that something may happen tonight.

I think Anupong will play a bit more of a waiting game than that to see if a civil war starts (UDD - red vs. PAD - yellow). If it does, then he can enter the fray as the good guy restoring peace to Bangkok. If he sees the PAD being strong armed too violently by the police, that would be another invitation to jump in. He would much prefer a catalyst to where the military coming in is viewed as the peacekeeper, not as a takeover force. It always looks better to be invited into a house than breaking the front door down.

Anyway, one way or another, the military will protect those they are sworn to protect and in doing so I believe will install the national unity government that has been talked about for so long and ultimately, new politics will be installed.

I think this is a pretty fair assessment of the state of things.

I think most people will be happy to just have things settle down again, back to business as usual with the serfs back in their place. No denying the current government is inept, both at running the country or winning hearts and minds. Of course if the UDD mob try a PAD game on the next government, there wont be the current restraints to put them down.

For the PAD supporters here though, don't expect anything but more of the same from whatever form the next administration takes, government is about snouts in the trough, except of course that this time they can't ever be voted out. As mere observers we can only hope that some competent people are appointed.

is it really that simple? I guess most here would agree that Hitler had it right when he squashed any protests against his democratically elected government

Argh! stop it please, get your history right.

I've heard this repeated over and over during recent discussions. Hitler didn't win any democratic elections, he was appointed Chancellor by the elected president after losing an election on the pressure the Nazi party and recession brought on the government of the time.

So if that event has any resemblance with the current situation it would be the PAD acting the part of the Nazi party trying to topple the government.

what a nonsense. NSDAP was the strongest party so their leader got Chancellor. As Germany, as Thailand does not vote the Chancellor direct.

Franz von Papen from another party got Vice-Chancellor.

Even not complete correct it was more or less democratic as the NSDAP had the most votes. And the NSDAP did not do any vote buying at all.

But that's not Thailand related at all.

I agree

I agree

Spot on, methinks. :o

Agreed!

In the meanwhile we are waiting for news.

Waiting for blood to be spilled more like, the attitude behind some of these posts is beyond a joke. Thai people will deal with thier Thai problem in a Thai way, stop bitching about it and go and play golf or something......

I personally would support a weighted voting system, where a test administered to every member of society would give their vote a specific value based on their un-partisan political awareness, and IQ. It would stop the sort of farce we have had in Thailand with the PPP, and the sort of farce that happened in the USA for the last 8 years.

And perhaps the ones with a very low iq or those that don't get the answers right could be purged?

Stupid people, and I am not saying that about people in the north of Thailand - rather middle Americans - and people who's vote can be bought should not be aloud to vote. Period.

First the PAD has not been non violent, check the videos. We saw what PAD did to the taxi driver, the shooting of guns in the middle of the street, the burning of motorcycles.... Let get real if they were non-violent they would not need armed men in the crowds....

The problem with your weighted vote based on a test is this: The rich well educated Thais don't represent all of Thailand. The only way to get a good education in Thailand requires paying an "international" school, meaning the poorest people's kids don't stand a chance, so because they are poor you want to exclude their vote? What do you think will happen when the "rich" are the only ones allowed to vote? They will vote for people and laws that will help them and allow them to continue to step on the "poor"....

You are condoning class segregation. But why stop there? Next take away the non pure Thai blood vote, You know that a famous German started with Class segregation then moved on to "pure blood" segregation, once you take away the rights of a group of people you are on a slippery slope...

Also why did you find it necessary to bring Middle America into this conversation? And to call a whole section of a country "stupid people" just shows ignorance, of course middle America has stupid people, but stupid people are everywhere in this world… case in point you are living in Thailand. But just because someone is “stupid” you should not silence their opinions/voice

What a bleedin' joke.

After all of the muscle flexing and the SOE what happens? NOTHING, not only do the police do nowt, but they don't even turn up. This shows just what an incompetent bunch of fools this government really are and the sooner they are gone the better because asides from other things, this country needs a leader.

For the time being though it looks as though Anupong is boss. He has gotten his toys out for everybody else to see and his toys are the biggest and the best. Somchai has nothing but a borrowed train set and even that does nothing but go round in circles because it doesn't have any straight bits.

The world is having a good old giggle at Thailand's expense again.

What a bunch of numpties.

It is amazing to me that governments and newspapers in the west still choose to cling to un-truths to try and bolster up their own claims that democracy (as imagined by western politicians) works.

The amazing thing about Thailand right now is that the whole airport standoff basically comes down to two arguments. One about the freedom to protest, and the other about that protest blocking other people's freedom to travel. In the US, UK or anywhere else in the world these people would have been forcibly and violently removed from the airports within hours. Thailand has a better overall idea of the basic tenets of freedom, democracy and respect for your fellow man than any other country I have ever lived in. Bravo.

Why do I say that? Well, in the west 'freedom' and 'democracy' loosely translated means 'we must keep the financial machine running'. Here in Thailand the country (accidentally or by design) has chosen that this issue is more important than keeping part of 'the financial machine running'. They have chosen to solve the problem, one way or the other, with everyones input and a free and open exchange of views, rather than closing down the people that are causing the country discomfort in the name of big business, under the guise of 'democracy'.

The PAD are not making violent protests. Although that article does not say that, several news channels glibly report PAD, bombs, and violence in the same breath. The only violence is coming from the Red Shirts.

The Straits article makes an erroneous claim that PAD want 25% of the electorate chosen by methods other than voting. i.e. To be appointed. This is no longer the case. PAD have abandoned this idea as it was unpopular. Showing very clearly that PAD, unlike the current 'government' (if you can call them that), do actually listen to people..

I for one am all for people having different weighting applied to their votes, or having some portion of government appointed by a monarch, or the judiciary. Because having government voted in by a mass majority who have their vote bought is far worse than what PAD initially suggested. No matter, anyway, they have withdrawn the suggestion and now support 100% voted in governments.

oh God it is stuff like this that makes it so embarassing to do business as a Westerner in SE Asia sometimes.

Spot on, methinks. :o

I agree but with one proviso. Next Friday is a very important day to nearly all Thais so this matter must be concluded by then with the airports back to normal. Now whilst I agree Gen. Anupong may be playing a waiting game, it may require an "agent provocateur" to accelerate the process perhaps.

The problem with your weighted vote based on a test is this: The rich well educated Thais don't represent all of Thailand. The only way to get a good education in Thailand requires paying an "international" school, meaning the poorest people's kids don't stand a chance, so because they are poor you want to exclude their vote? What do you think will happen when the "rich" are the only ones allowed to vote? They will vote for people and laws that will help them and allow them to continue to step on the "poor"....

You are condoning class segregation.

No, you misunderstand.

I am talking about IQ tests and un-partisan politcal awareness.

Neither require any more than the ability to talk / listen and / or read / write.

oh God it is stuff like this that makes it so embarassing to do business as a Westerner in SE Asia sometimes.

Do you punctuate, or capitalize, or spell check any of your 'business' documents?

As you obviously don't do that when posting online.

And do you actually enter into discussions in your business, or just slag people off you disagree with?

I am guessing you don't run a huge multi-national in any case.

For Thailand's sake and the continuance of fragile democratic institutions, no elected government should be run out of office by persons and special interests acting unconstitutionally. The PAD can register itself as a party and try to win office legally, but it must abandon its laughable proposition that only one-third of parliament shall be elected and two-thirds appointed.

Fine words from Singapore of all places! :o

For Thailand's sake and the continuance of fragile democratic institutions, no elected government should be run out of office by persons and special interests acting unconstitutionally. The PAD can register itself as a party and try to win office legally, but it must abandon its laughable proposition that only one-third of parliament shall be elected and two-thirds appointed.

Fine words from Singapore of all places! :o

Are that fine bastian of a civilised democracy upon which Kh. Shinawatra Thaksin had modelled his future.

Edited by whatawonderfulday

Staying away from what cannot be discussed here, I disagree with your premise. That would be a short term solution and we have had cooling off periods on and off for 3 years (albeit in different forms). This needs to be settled once and for all. No more short term solutions.

Simply put, Thaksin is a perceived threat to the power group the military protects and Thaksin has said he will return to Thai politics to try and gain control again.

If Thaksin succeeds, everything else is a moot point. If, instead, the military steps in, they will either form a national unity government to change the constitution to allow for a newly designed democratic format or (HIGHLY UNLIKELY), revert back to the days of a strong military dictatorship.

Australian airlines offer fare waivers for travellers to Thailand

Australian airlines are offering short-term fare waivers as they continue to cancel or reroute flights after civil unrest closed the second airport in Bangkok.

Protesters forced the closure ofBangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport on Tuesday, stranding 3000 tourists and throwing the travel plans of thousands more into chaos.

Airlines were unsure yesterday when the airport would reopen but said it would be closed until at least 11 o'clock last night.

There was little sign of a breakthrough last night as both sides in the dispute defied a call from the army chief to end the turmoil.

Instead, protesters blockaded Bangkok's second airport, Don Mueang, which now serves domestic routes but had been used by some international flights.

Saererat Prasutanond, president of operator Airports of Thailand, told Thai television: "Iauthorised Don Mueang's director-general to close the airport from midnight.

"It is closed indefinitely until normalcy is restored. The two airports that serve Bangkok are completely closed."

Qantas said it was again re-routing its QF1 and QF2 services through Singapore, and Jetstar cancelled a Melbourne-Bangkok-Melbourne service that was due to operate yesterday. Both airlines offered fare waivers that allowed people whose travel was immediately affected by the unrest to delay or cancel their trip and change destinations.

The waivers were subject to conditions outlined on the airlines' websites.

A Qantas spokesman was unable to say how many of its passengers were stranded in Bangkok.

A Jetstar spokeswoman said that as well as refunds and delays, the airline was offering alternative routing on its Phuket flights.

The airline had managed to contact all but 20 of its passengers on Wednesday night and would accommodate anyone who turned up at the airport in Bangkok, she said. "We're hoping to operate an ad hoc service on Saturday, Melbourne-Bangkok, Bangkok-Melbourne."

This plan was subject to the situation improving.

Emirates, which has a service to Dubai via Bangkok, ordered its Dubai-Bangkok-Sydney flight to overfly the Thai capital and rerouted the return service via Singapore.

Source: The Australian - 28 November 2008