State Of Emergency Declared

george

ASTV (PAD) TV is now running an English commentary on their streaming TV service. Incredibly, the stream was showing several hapless looking farang tourists at Don Muang, waving their handclappers and wearing yellow shirts along with PAD. And even more incredible, there was one couple with a baby in a carriage, and the baby was wearing a yellow shirt.

I suggest their country of origin file charges for criminal child neglect when they get home.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...the fact [is]that the PAD is paying every demonstrator at the airport..."

PAD pays every demonstrator - airport or not - 200THB/day. Two of my acquaintances have been on the PAD deomnstrators payroll for several weeks. Characteristically, PAD refuses to pay the demonstrators every few days, just to keep them angry.

The question is...who benefits by the turmoil?

The war chest must be under pressure then, they were paying 300 baht a day for the earlier govt sit in's!

Human shields. I was a human shield once in Mexico, by my own choosing. The local Jesuiit priest commended me for it, and I thanked him. My friend was doing much the same in Iraq, voluntarily.

The term has more than one definition. From what I understand, there are almost no tourists or farang or airline passengers left at Suvanabhumi now, and very few airline or airport employees. Almost all PAD protesters. I cannot read Thai, but I imagine they are being offered up as human shields. They are very foolish, but it appears they are there by their own choosing. If they choose to die virtually unarmed against an invading army of their own country, let them do so. That may be more noble and Thai and Buddhist than to be in the invading police and army.

I think this is pretty close to the truth as they see it.

And they say human shield.

OK,

is this 'involuntary' human shields between the army and PAD?

Well there seem to be none there to use... so can't mean that.

or

As PeaceBlondie notes:

PAD members being a human shield between evil forces (as the see it),

and the PAD goals to eradicate those same evil forces.

Do they 'believe' that they ARE the sheild against corruption?

That THEY are shielding the country from rapacious forces?

This may be closer to the truth for them.

Chamlong says senior person calls him to end protests

Chamlong Srimuang, a co-leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, said Friday morning that a senior person called him to end the rallies against the government.

Speaking to the crowd at a PAD rally site at the Don Mueang Airport, Chamlong said he replied that the people could not stop.

Source: The Nation - 28 November 2008

This story right here goes to show that the PAD are NOT protecting the power group as some have speculated, and that they are NOT working together.

To me this shows that the PAD are essentially committed only to their own cause and nothing else matters, not even the requests of a senior person.

Quiksilva, I understand where you are coming from, but I read it a bit differently. I think we can agree that the senior person is the same one that Thaksin referred to as the "invisible hand." However, only Chamlong knows whether that person was speaking based on his own or with higher authority. You can conclude yes, but I am concluding no. For sure, neither of us will ever know for sure.

This entire debate - not to mention the hours and hours of TV discussions and media analysis - is a complete waste of time.

Everyone with anything more than a rudimentary knowledge of Thailand knows what it takes to end this debacle. As that subject cannot be discussed, every other argument or conjecture is just pissing in the wind.

I agree

I agree

I don't agree. It's ok to have discussions. If it's not your thing, log off. If Bendix or Wolfie or H90, with their inferred insight of Thailand, knows what it takes to end this debacle (airports closed, etc.) - then please enlighten us. Yet, by doing so, they're entering in to the debate, and thereby adding to their described 'complete waste of time.'

A farang who wrote a newspaper column for Bkk Post - used to often end his paragraphs with 'nuff said.' ...as if his opinion was the final word on everything. I don't like that attitude - of being Mr. Know It All.

Much better is to offer opinions - and then listen to others' responses - back and forth. In a word; 'dialogue.' That's what these topics on Thaivisa offer. For sure, there will be many opinions you don't agree with, but you can enter your own ideas, or go off to do something else. To just throw mud at the whole process is a cop out - especially if your so-called 'solution' is not articulated - and you resort to calling everyone in the debate stupid.

You've kind of missed Bendix's piont, we can't talk about it........ We can't discuss the nitty gritty underlying truth of the matter, and everything else is just superficial

I was supervisor of riot control squad in maximum security prison in NY for 15 years......

and anyone with heart condition or respiratory problems should vacagte the premises as they could die as a result of exposure. All people with contact lenses should take them out as gas will fuse lenses to the retina. ,

How can gas fuse a contact lense to the retina? The retina is on the inside of the eyeball at the back.

First of all this is not a prison riot, and second of all their are seniors and children in the mix. Get your head examined!

He obviously meant cornea.

Let's not speculate whom the senior person was who advised the PAD leadership to surrender their occupation of the airport. However, let's guess it was not a minister in the PPP government. It is my wild guess that whatever Bangok elites have maybe been supporting the PAD, have dropped their support and are telling PAD to get out of the airport(s). Their refusal to leave may mean they have cut themselves off from their hidden sponsors, and now are just a renegade group about to commit suicide. But maybe it is some strange, Thai game of chicken, seeing who will make the final move. It is good to see a police spokesman assure us that they are Thais negotiating with Thais. But it could still turn very bloody. Let us pray that Thai culture figures this one out.

Chamlong Srimuang, a co-leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, said Friday morning that a senior person called him to end the rallies against the government.

Speaking to the crowd at a PAD rally site at the Don Mueang Airport, Chamlong said he replied that the people could not stop.

He said although a lot of damages have been done to the country's economy, the PAD was not the source of the problem.

He said the government was the source of the problem so the PAD would not stop until the government resigns and cancels its plan to amend the Constitution.

This story right here goes to show that the PAD are NOT protecting the power group as some have speculated, and that they are NOT working together.

To me this shows that the PAD are essentially committed only to their own cause and nothing else matters, not even the requests of a senior person.

With this stance Chamlong I suspect has sealed his fate along with his supporters.

Batten down the hatches.

This is just dissemination tactics from the PAD. No concrete information was given, no facts offered. 'Senior person' could be about anybody, many might assume it alludes to a certain very senior person, I personally would not think so. Just more hot air.

He said although a lot of damages have been done to the country's economy, the PAD was not the source of the problem.

He said the government was the source of the problem so the PAD would not stop until the government resigns and cancels its plan to amend the Constitution.

With this stance Chamlong I suspect has sealed his fate along with his supporters.

Batten down the hatches.

The statement also shows those often accused of colluding with the PAD are trying their best to end the situation. They are in a nice neutral position as are the military. Some would say the resolution to the crisis will finally come from the perceived center so it is a very good place to be.

The statement also removes the influential person from criticism over what comes next in the act, and some speculate that the PAD are a actually a group that can be sacrificed setting up the conditions for a solution by a third force.

I was supervisor of riot control squad in maximum security prison in NY for 15 years and have dealt with many situations involving barricaded people, hostage situations , riots, etc. This is the procedure they should use. First, they must calculate ICT and LCT of chemical agentsGas) to be used. This is a formula based on cubic area of the enclosed area where gas will be deployed. ICT is the concentration of agent which will incapacitate the target subjects so they will either evacuate the area or be physically removed. LCT is the cncentration which will cause death to exposed people within 1 hour. In NY we used CS gas which has more severe effects on the targets than CN(tear Gas) but is also less lethal. Then you must decide which form of dispersal system. Mainly hand grenades or projectile grenades. In enclosed quarters such as airport non-combustibal grenades must be used. Then before deploying the agent you must first announce to the target subjects it will be deployed, and anyone with heart condition or respiratory problems should vacagte the premises as they could die as a result of exposure. All people with contact lenses should take them out as gas will fuse lenses to the retina.

Gas should be deployed in pre-determined location to force targets into desired evacuation area. They must have an escape route or they will turn against the response team in panic. When gas is deployed, response team will wait for agent to take effect before moving in. They should enter in phalanx formation with shields and push any targets still remaining in area into evacuation location. Once outside, target subjects should be restrained with flex-cuffs and placed in open air.They should be told not to rub their eyes prior to this as it makes gas effects worse. After everyone removed they should get imediate medical treatment and decontamination. In this case I feel they should treat innocents(Non-protestors) first. After evacuation, open all window and doors, place fans near exits and turn off air con as heat helps diissipate the agents. Also then they must search for any explosives or booby trapls left as scene,

How can gas fuse a contact lense to the retina? The retina is on the inside of the eyeball at the back.

First of all this is not a prison riot, and second of all their are seniors and children in the mix. Get your head examined!

This has to be a joke. Breaking up a prison riot at a maximum security prison simply reduced to a recipe for making a cake. Even in New York prison riots a much smaller than 10,000 regular citizens at an international airport. You forget they are using untrained police to put a stop to the madness. Their are several ways to bring this to a peaceful end after the PAD security is removed from the equation. PAD security has firearms, slingshots and clubs to use against the police if and when they try to break up the crowd at the airport. Unfortunately I have little confidence in the police to handle this mess and it may spiral out of everyone's control.

Mr Bendix said it best, "This entire debate - not to mention the hours and hours of TV discussions and media analysis - is a complete waste of time.

Everyone with anything more than a rudimentary knowledge of Thailand knows what it takes to end this debacle. As that subject cannot be discussed, every other argument or conjecture is just pissing in the wind."

To those who have all of the answers. This is not a television show or an exercise this a a very serious situation where retired security guards and past military soldiers are probably not needed to advise the government or PAD as to tactics, strategic or operational intelligence.

Let's not speculate whom the senior person was who advised the PAD leadership to surrender their occupation of the airport. However, let's guess it was not a minister in the PPP government. It is my wild guess that whatever Bangok elites have maybe been supporting the PAD, have dropped their support and are telling PAD to get out of the airport(s). Their refusal to leave may mean they have cut themselves off from their hidden sponsors, and now are just a renegade group about to commit suicide. But maybe it is some strange, Thai game of chicken, seeing who will make the final move. It is good to see a police spokesman assure us that they are Thais negotiating with Thais. But it could still turn very bloody. Let us pray that Thai culture figures this one out.

Both points are good.

har, har. must have been not so easy for a ProPAD cult follower to find something you could quote from this editorial piece in the POST. i recommend to read the whole thing.

Somchai, allways a smile in the face. smart boy, i would say. just wait until the granny at the airport are out of diapers and must go home.

what should he do? give the PAD another fight and drama situation. the PAD scum is so desperately asking for to got beaten up. that is for for sure. but smile somchai don't do it. in a couple of days we have also a celebration. that is thousand times more important, then free the airport outright. keep that in mind.

exercise patience, this is the last phase. ignore those Pipi & A Democracy trolls. ignore them. in a couple of day the spook will over. that was their final battle. Chamlong allready told us he will go home and stop do the best for the nation. nobody ask him to do it anyway. that snake tounge that created thaksin in the first place. go home now. look over there, there is the door. bye, bye, go eat your carrots.

and if you are home, without mobile phone and all, Chamlong, so nobody could say your are the evil master planer behind. just like the last time when you visteted over the weekend the police to keep your puppeteer hands clean. at least you keep cool and smile as well. so it goes, that how true gentleman fight each other. gently, smiling. and a steel clear glance. but your are to old, your team is just too dumb. you got out smarted by boyish somchai. he, he. pika-chu buff

your crazy comrade hate mouth somsuck can lead the remains of the cult into their final destination. what would it be? a stoic mass self-immolation, a final flame? after they got aware that nobody wants them, talk with them, not even beat them up.

or will the PAD cult try another thugish violent act, bring more people with them down, go back to the city and do more destruction. PADs final egomaniac show as the Kalki. i guess that will happen. they should have done that in the rainy seasons. the rain keeps the dust and stench down.

place your bet, what building will they final attack. from what bridge they will jump. what will the last act of the stupid PAD show. at what locationthey will give their version of The Dying Swan, poor choreograph. or is the airport the final terminal already. so clean and comfortable. no desire to go back to your old domicile, right? the asphalt camping, the smell of piss

and own shit everywhere. just throw few more grenades over there, set something on fire and leave. new home- the airport. you are the people and the nation, so no worry, no damage done to anybody, right. prigs. never done a real job in life right, just hang around all day. leech.

instead of silent go home those PAD scum will do a nasty last show. lacerate each other. but not with a cool Seppuku show, with self control and discipline.

phoneyPAD will try it once more with finger pointing and blaming others.

their red shirt scam got exposed, look pic below. will they still trying it or change the shirts twice do something stupid in yellow and blame the reds?

551000015095001yo5.jpg

PAD it's over now, go home. don't hurt any innocent or hurt yourself. why you want to die? it's stupid.. be cool. back to the beach. hang out there. will be pure nature and so silent this season. enjoy the sea breeze. there is actually nothing to protect or to defend. you are too dumb to be the Winnarr. but you can still have your normal life. how ever is in charge beach boy & grandma, he will not care about you. if you hate him or are in love with that power. that will not have an effect or impact on the daily life of your younger sister back home or your niece, grandma.

if you feel still energetic, check out a nice office room at the airport, take your last dump there and then sneak out. bye, bye. try to be be smart in the end.

Edited by permanent_disorder

This entire debate - not to mention the hours and hours of TV discussions and media analysis - is a complete waste of time.

Everyone with anything more than a rudimentary knowledge of Thailand knows what it takes to end this debacle. As that subject cannot be discussed, every other argument or conjecture is just pissing in the wind.

I agree

I agree

I don't agree. It's ok to have discussions. If it's not your thing, log off. If Bendix or Wolfie or H90, with their superior insights of Thailand, know what it takes to end this debacle (airports closed, etc.) - then please enlighten us. Yet, by doing so, they're entering in to the debate, and thereby adding to their described 'complete waste of time.'

A farang who wrote a newspaper column for Bkk Post - used to often end his paragraphs with 'nuff said.' ...as if his opinion was the final word on everything. I don't like that attitude - of being Mr. Know It All.

Much better is to offer opinions - and then listen to others' responses - back and forth. In a word; 'dialogue.' That's what these topics on Thaivisa offer. For sure, there will be many opinions you don't agree with, but you can enter your own ideas, or go off to do something else. To just throw mud at the whole process is a cop out - especially if your so-called 'solution' is not articulated - and you resort to calling everyone in the debate stupid.

From what I read the original post was one of the most spot on things put on here.

There are certain things you just cannot talk about or discuss. Its not a case of ‘I know best and am not telling’.

This whole situation can be talked about and analysed but without discussing the subject which is taboo it’s a bit like playing football with no ball.

My guess is that the PAD movement is ultimately doomed, and all that is going on is a slow, agonizing unraveling of their program.

It appears to me that the fundamental PAD strategy is entirely based upon the idea of escalating their civil disobedience until they are violently repressed, and then counting on the general population to rise up in their defense/support.

I think that this is a PAD fantasy.

The main problem is: there is not a satang's worth of difference in the public policy platforms between the major opposing parties - at least not in relation to affecting the daily lives of the population of Thailand. Normally, in a political opposition scenario, there are opposing policy platforms - about issues such as taxation, public services, foreign policy, education, health care, infrastructure, etc. The average man on the street can examine opposing platforms, and make a decision about which platform he supports. The average man thus has some stake in the outcome.

In the present Thai situation, neither side has any significant policy differences with the opposition - other than the differences about who will sit it the seats of power, and how those seats will be filled in the future. This is about personalities and generic power - not about civic programs or policies. As such - the average Thai has no interest - because their life does not change either way. They are not going to "rise up" to defend one side or the other.

Now, the situation is very different up at the top of the political parties. The leaders, and the hard core activists, are fighting for their survival - possibly even for their lives. The two major political factions are bitterly opposed to one another - to the point here - if either gets solid control over the destiny of the other, the losers will be destroyed - for generations to come. For the elite activists, their backs are against the wall - they might as well fight to the bitter end - because surrender will be cataastrophic.

In academic or political debate, in the event of a "tie," whichever side represents the status quo automatically wins - because in a tie, nothing changes - and what was here yesterday, is what will be here tomorrow. Thus - the sitting government can live with a tie - a standoff - because they then retain their current positions. The PAD needs a win - because that the only way they change the status quo. By all appearances, the sitting government is successfully playing the game for a tie - a draw.

In my mind, the PAD will have to go down in dramatic, but futile incident - hoping that as they go down fighting, the masses will join them. The masses won't join them - and the PAD will be destroyed.

Now, it is just a matter of how and when the final confrontation plays out.

Hopefully, it will just be activists who suffer the consequences.

Any PAD supporters still holed up at the airport have ZERO sympathy from me if they get hurt or killed. They know what they did, they know what's coming. You can't just seize an international airport and expect to be greeted with flowers and cookies.

If they had seized the JFK or L.A. airport, it would have ended a long time ago, and probably much worse than the Thai police will hopefully end it tonight. As far as I'm concerned, if you run past security at the JFK or L.A. airport, protesting something or not, you get shot in the back before you get anywhere. The Thai government and police have been more than patient, but enough is enough.

Please Americans do NOT comment on this situation, you have a lot of work to do in your own country and Irak for instance. So please leave this alone.

While I most probably have the same opinions as ferryb, as well I don't agree with rainman.

But you can't tell all americans to shut up, just because of the criminal doings of their government.

For sure Rainman is not respondsible for the wrongdoings of his government, as the Som Tam woman is not respondsible for Thaksins wrongdoings.

Why would the PAD profess openly that they have lost support; this would be nonsensical.

I would rather assume it should show to their followers, that even under pressure from various arms of the military, they stand independent and firm in their targets. 'We are in the right, they are wrong', and that the other side "accepted" this stance.

Was there a real 'senior person' calling? I bet there are lots of phone calls going back and forth, but none of any consequence; certainly support for the PAD was not dropped, the game has gone much to far that somebody can just bug out that easy.

But so far everything is just rhetoric to the followers of the various interest groups, or we would have heard something entirely more decisive than this.

har, har. must have been not so easy for a ProPAD cult follower to find something you could quote from this editorial piece in the POST. i recommend to read the whole thing.

Somchai, allways a smile in the face. smart boy, i would say. just wait until the granny at the airport are out of diapers and must go home.

what should he do? give the PAD another fight and drama situation. the PAD scum is so desperately asking for to got beaten up. that is for for sure. but smile somchai don't do it. in a couple of days we have also a celebration. that is thousand times more important, then free the airport outright. keep that in mind.

exercise patience, this is the last phase. ignore those Pipi & A Democracy trolls. ignore them. in a couple of day the spook will over. that was their final battle. Chamlong allready told us he will go home and stop do the best for the nation. nobody ask him to do it anyway. that snake tounge that created thaksin in the first place. go home now. look over there, there is the door. bye, bye, go eat your carrots.

and if you are home, without mobile phone and all, Chamlong, so nobody could say your are the evil master planer behind. just like the last time when you visteted over the weekend the police to keep your puppeteer hands clean. at least you keep cool and smile as well. so it goes, that how true gentleman fight each other. gently, smiling. and a steel clear glance. but your are to old, your team is just too dumb. you got out smarted by boyish somchai. he, he. pika-chu buff

your crazy comrade hate mouth somsuck can lead the remains of the cult into their final destination. what would it be? a stoic mass self-immolation, a final flame? after they got aware that nobody wants them, talk with them, not even beat them up.

or will the PAD cult try another thugish violent act, bring more people with them down, go back to the city and do more destruction. PADs final egomaniac show as the Kalki. i guess that will happen. they should have done that in the rainy seasons. the rain keeps the dust and stench down.

place your bet, what building will they final attack. from what bridge they will jump. what will the last act of the stupid PAD show. at what locationthey will give their version of The Dying Swan, poor choreograph. or is the airport the final terminal already. so clean and comfortable. no desire to go back to your old domicile, right? the asphalt camping, the smell of piss

and own shit everywhere. just throw few more grenades over there, set something on fire and leave. new home- the airport. you are the people and the nation, so no worry, no damage done to anybody, right. prigs. never done a real job in life right, just hang around all day. leech.

instead of silent go home those PAD scum will do a nasty last show. lacerate each other. but not with a cool Seppuku show, with self control and discipline.

their red shirt scam got exposed, look pic below. will they still trying it or change the shirts twice do something stupid in yellow and blame the reds?

551000015095001yo5.jpg

PAD it's over now, go home. don't hurt any innocent or hurt yourself. why you want to die? it's stupid.. be cool. back to the beach. hang out there. will be pure nature and so silent this season. enjoy the sea breeze. there is actually nothing to protect or to defend. you are too dumb to be the Winnarr. but you can still have your normal life. how ever is in charge beach boy & grandma, he will not care about you. if you hate him or are in love with that power. that will not have an effect or impact on the daily life of your younger sister back home or your niece, grandma.

if you feel still energetic, check out a nice office room at the airport, take your last dump there and then sneak out. bye, bye. try to be be smart in the end.

?

That's quite a bit of hate without really saying anything, dude. Is it worth it? We're ALL Thai. We ALL want the country to get better. Maybe if you took two steps back and stop demonizing people who don't agree with you, then we can move forward.

I'm speaking as a Thai national living in NY, who has planned to go back on Sunday and my trip is now in limbo.

Why do Thais let sleeping dogs lie?

I will now start a thread in the General Topics forum, and then go out to lunch. But it relates to why even the opposition party to PAD, the hated PPP of Taksin, is letting these sleeping Thai dogs lie at the airport.

Come join us. ThaiVisa has about 39 other forums, sub-forum, flora, etc. We can discuss Thai dogs.

It is UNSTABLE. What planet are you living on?

Unstable in political terms...Yes..but does that mean the PAD is going to break down my hotel door and and strangle me with a yellow shirt..should i and every other farang leave the country by train??

If you want to live in a country that respects democracy, personal freedom and the rule of law you should leave any way you can. None of those three items apply to Thailand. And if you have children here, do you want them to live in a place with no sunshine laws, where information to the public from ALL public agencies is restricted and where they can't go more than five years without a coup? Get on that train brutha! I'm leaving by plane in the next few weeks when flights start running. I started packing today. NO KIDDING.

Are you having a garage sale?

yeah buddy. I'll be selling my desktop Dell that I bought in December, my Honda City (three years old) a TV and other sundries. You can mail me if you're interested.

actually old mate,since there are no flights, how much do you want for that honda?..will it get me to loas?...id prefer to have a thai style of holiday as it was 50 years ago

It is UNSTABLE. What planet are you living on?

Unstable in political terms...Yes..but does that mean the PAD is going to break down my hotel door and and strangle me with a yellow shirt..should i and every other farang leave the country by train??

If you want to live in a country that respects democracy, personal freedom and the rule of law you should leave any way you can. None of those three items apply to Thailand. And if you have children here, do you want them to live in a place with no sunshine laws, where information to the public from ALL public agencies is restricted and where they can't go more than five years without a coup? Get on that train brutha! I'm leaving by plane in the next few weeks when flights start running. I started packing today. NO KIDDING.

Are you having a garage sale?

yeah buddy. I'll be selling my desktop Dell that I bought in December, my Honda City (three years old) a TV and other sundries. You can mail me if you're interested.

actually old mate,since there are no flights, how much do you want for that honda?..will it get me to loas?...id prefer to have a thai style of holiday as it was 50 years ago

I offer 80.000 for everything together.

I was supervisor of riot control squad in maximum security prison in NY for 15 years and have dealt with many situations involving barricaded people, hostage situations , riots, etc. This is the procedure they should use. First, they must calculate ICT and LCT of chemical agentsGas) to be used. This is a formula based on cubic area of the enclosed area where gas will be deployed. ICT is the concentration of agent which will incapacitate the target subjects so they will either evacuate the area or be physically removed. LCT is the cncentration which will cause death to exposed people within 1 hour. In NY we used CS gas which has more severe effects on the targets than CN(tear Gas) but is also less lethal. Then you must decide which form of dispersal system. Mainly hand grenades or projectile grenades. In enclosed quarters such as airport non-combustibal grenades must be used. Then before deploying the agent you must first announce to the target subjects it will be deployed, and anyone with heart condition or respiratory problems should vacagte the premises as they could die as a result of exposure. All people with contact lenses should take them out as gas will fuse lenses to the retina.

Gas should be deployed in pre-determined location to force targets into desired evacuation area. They must have an escape route or they will turn against the response team in panic. When gas is deployed, response team will wait for agent to take effect before moving in. They should enter in phalanx formation with shields and push any targets still remaining in area into evacuation location. Once outside, target subjects should be restrained with flex-cuffs and placed in open air.They should be told not to rub their eyes prior to this as it makes gas effects worse. After everyone removed they should get imediate medical treatment and decontamination. In this case I feel they should treat innocents(Non-protestors) first. After evacuation, open all window and doors, place fans near exits and turn off air con as heat helps diissipate the agents. Also then they must search for any explosives or booby trapls left as scene,

hey milt...dont worry about the bloody yanks..just be glad that your redshirts arent rednecks like them!!!