State Of Emergency Declared

george

please,

do somebody have trusted sources of informations or proof that PAD is paying protesters?

I'm guessing you don't know a lot of Thai people in BKK?

I know one group of 4 girls offered 2K baht to go, my friends GF was offered 600, and a guy in this apartment 700. It is everywhere...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sorrows me to see so many writers wasting time on on whether or not the Supporters of PAD are paid or not or whether PPP bought votes. I feel that this is a totally inappropriate time to worry about irrelevant matters.

This thread is thinking about the declared State of Emergency and peoples views on that subject. The future of Thailand is at stake and lives on BOTH sides are at stake.

If you wish to worry about "who has paid who", may I suggest you start a separate Thread which we don't all have to read.

Thank you.

As for the operations this evening, again the keys are to project overwhelming force, and do it swiftly and make it sufficiently violent...make the announcement to clear immediately or be prepared to shed a lot of tears and possibly blood. Give them an adequate suspense time to clear the premises and then open up if there is further resistance. If the opposition attempts to repulse the police operation with anything other than fists or nonlethal weapons, it's time to draw ball ammunition, lock and load and change the ROE while underway. They had their chance but blew it; now they are common criminals and terrorists attempting to usurp or defy government authority. If the police fail to mount this correctly, it will be another useless line drawn in the sand and bring Thailand closer to the spectre of a full and brutal military takeover. Yes, I am retired military and in most cases abhor the blatant use of force but that's the way I see it.

Geez...I never would have guessed. We need more like you. Violence has a great track record of resolving differences.

However, 95% of the people do support Thaksins crowd > and hence they keep getting electec, by popular vote....

No, you are wrong. Thakin's party got a bit over 1/3rd of the vote in the last election. The vast majority of Thais are anti Thaksin and no longer support him. He won the last election because the anti Thaksin vote was split up among multiple parties.

You cannot have people taking over airports under any circumstances and they need to me removed ASAP by any means no other country in the world would allow the takeover of there main airport.

All this talk of new elections is stupid PPP will just be voted back in again Somchai has only just become PM give the guy a chance

Its a democratically elected government that has already had a coup against it and survived and were revoted in they chased the next PM out and a new one was appointed the majority of the peoples voice is clear with the exception of the elitists and privaleged few that obviously dont want democracy here in Thailand.

I hope the police get in there and clean this mess up right away.

I'm sick and tired of reading ignorant people speaking of " democratically elected government" THEY BOUGHT THE VOTES for crying out loud !!!! and they are thieves, a very well run mafia.

i have no sympathy for the PAD and Sondhi in particular but they are just a symptom of the cancer that is Thaksin for Thailand.

to cure a cancer you have to eradicate the tumor (which is currently hiding in Dubai laughing all the way to the bank.)

I think you will find that both sides were caught out vote buying. I don't know how much, nor do you so don't be so dogmatic with your opinions. 20 years ago vote buying was going on, and that was before Taksin even came on the scene.

As to PAD paying demonstrators, there seems to be anecdotal evidence from many here being advised by Thai friends/spouses that it goes on. Why do some posters think they are a Supreme Court Judge demanding incontrovertible evidence. Even half what we read or link to is probably inaccurate as it is usually just someones perspective.

Also I don't think Taksin is the only party in this power game that is loaded with money. If the PAD is paying protesters, just imagine the bottomless pit paying for that. Add to that that all money paid out in politics expects a much bigger return, why would this be any different? Same as it ever was...

Read that my home state of NSW in Australia is riddled with rampant corruption, nepotism and cronyism. That was Australia not Thailand. Lets put politicians in their true perspective, they are all the bloody same, it is always about power and money.

please,

do somebody have trusted sources of informations or proof that PAD is paying protesters?

I know one group of 4 girls offered 2K baht to go, my friends GF was offered 600, and a guy in this apartment 700. It is everywhere...

Is it illegal to pay people to protest??? I sure wouldnt risk my life for 600bt a day if I didnt believe in the cause.

PAD vows to fight off police crackdowns

Suriyasai Katasila, a leading member of the People's Alliance for Democracy, announced Thursday evening that the PAD-led protesters would fight off police if they are deployed to crack down on the protesters at the Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports.

"If the government wants to clear the protesters, let it try. The PAD will protect all locations because we are using our rights to demonstrate peacefully without causing damages to state properties or rioting," Suriyasai said.

From The Nation

They really do pay people...usually for high profile protests. First looking for free supporters, food, etc. Not sure how much but some people who have gotten the calls have been offered a nice amount compared to a typical day's work. Nothing gets done unless someone's paid or it affects money...everything is money money money in Thailand (everyone knows that)!

Then prove it. Audio, video, picture. Anything we can take seriously and verify the claims being made.

I hope Thaksin comes back and kicks some ass next time around and he was "democratically" elected.

The courts seem to disagree with you and Thaksin ran away rather then face sentencing, so I disagree that he was democratically elected.

To the extent that they are not bearing arms, they have enormous sympathy from me if they are injured or killed.

The other day they were shooting people, so I disagree with your "they are not bearing arms". Before you try to deny it, it was them. You can easily verify the trucks in the shooting video and the pictures of trucks at the airport used in the protest.

Rubbish. Please provide live video footage signed by Jonathan head, Man Khi Moon and your mummy or we will just not believe you.

When your business is affected you will know and there is no escape from this outcome now. Businesses, all of em are going to take a tanking from this.

Hope you enjoy your little yellow clapper when you are sat on the plane home SKINT :o

Sorry to busy your fantasy land bubble, but the government WAS democratically elected.

I don't agree with you. The present government engaged in electoral fraud, their last party was dissolved for it and the present party is facing dissolution once again. If you cheat in elections you do not have a democratic mandate, nor should you be involved in politics. That's why the dissolution of parties was introduced.

Edited by Crushdepth

LOL, and you think after screwing the country at its most critical time, in the next election joe noodle stall will switch to PAD?

no chance.

If i was a red commander, i would tell the PAD to take the airport.... go on!!, its a great idea!!! suwannaphum-stag tactics!

must be time for a moderate "örange" party?

Edited by SomNamNah

STATE OF EMERGENCY

BANGKOK: -- The government has declared a state of emergency around the two occupied Bangkok airports and police have been ordered to clear out PAD protesters so flights can resume.

LATE NEWS: Authorities have officially declared Suvarnabhumi airport closed until Saturday at 6pm at the earliest.

Agriculture Minister Somsak Prisananantakul told reporters the special Cabinet meeting held in Chiang Mai declared emergency laws will apply in and around both the closed Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports.

Meanwhile, growing numbers of tourists, business executives and government officials are stranded by the severed transportation links between Thailand and the rest of the world. Foreign Minister Sompong Amornwiwat was reported stranded in Germany where he was on a private visit on Thursday.

Some flights have continued through provincial airports but the main bulk of the 75 flights per hour through Suvarnabhumi have been cancelled.

The emergency decree orders the police to restore order and gives the military the right to help to "restore order, allow the suspension of civil liberties, ban public gatherings of more than five people and bar the media from reporting news that causes panic."

The military thus can clear out and reopen both airports, which were attacked, occupied and closed by the People's Alliance for Democracy on Tuesday night and Wednesday respectively.

Caution

It should be remembered we have been here before, and a state of emergency has no guarantee of results.

Ex-premier Samak Sundaravej declared a state of emergency last Sept 2 after early morning clashes between pro-government protesters and PAD backers in Bangkok. Police and the army refused to act, and Mr Somchai eventually lifted the state of emergency when he took office.

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat presided over Thursday's special cabinet meeting in his home town, Chiang Mai. PAD protesters have also seized and occupied both Government House and a backup government headquarters at Don Mueang in Bangkok.

If there is bloodshed when the police try to clear out the airports, the military might have to step in. That could mean a de facto coup, even though the Royal Thai Army does not want to take power.

"The government is in a corner," said Panitan Wattanayagorn, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University. "If the police cannot do a clean job (of clearin the airports), I’m quite certain they will step in."

Army chief Gen Anupong Paojinda has refused to use his forces against protesters, but also has only "suggested" the government step down. Both Mr Somchai and PAD leaders have effectively ignored the increasinly ineffective army commander.

If the army is forced to take over, Gen Anupong will start from a position of weakness, with respect from neither of the two sides in the conflict and seen as weak and vacillating by the majority who have favoured neither the government nor the PAD.

The emergency decree was reportedly backed in advance by some 200 members of the coalition government, who urged the embattled premier to "exercise stringent legal measures" against the protesters at the airports and at Government House.

Ekapot Parnyaem, a Chart Thai MP representing Pathum Thani province, urged that the government "carry out the order within 24 hours".

He also called on MPs to "mobilise not less than 20,000 people to oppose a power seizure," a sign that there will be public disturbances in case of a military coup.

Ironically, Gen Anupong agreed. He said tht a military coup would not end political turmoil, but might increase it.

Prime Minister Somchai on Thursday denied rumours that some military commanders would be stripped of their posts and that a coup is in the making.

Military personnel should remain in their barracks and officers should not move or put their forces on alert, said government spokesman Natthawut Saikua, who said the public should not be worried or confused by coup rumours. (with reports by TNA and news agencies)

-- Bangkok Post 2008-11-27

the government was NOT democratically elected therefore PPP will get dissolved if they can't change the laws.

the PPP just got 1/3 of the votes and most of the coalition partner promised before the election that they would never make a coalition with PPP.

Sorry to busy your fantasy land bubble, but the government WAS democratically elected.

And if you come up with the bribes that the PPP supposedly gave to voters, how do you answer to the fact that the PAD is paying every demonstrator at the airport? Isn't that bribing too? Face it, both sides pay for votes and support.

Beg to differ mate, calling Thailand a Democracy is like calling Obama President, almost there but not quite yet... Siam is at present an Emergency Democracy at best

..still awaiting ratifikashun apparently :o

please,

Is it illegal to pay people to protest??? I sure wouldnt risk my life for 600bt a day if I didnt believe in the cause.

Never said it was illegal, don't care whether it is or not tbh. Just stating the facts.

I'm sure 600 baht isn't a lot of money to you, however, it is to a lot of Thai people.

And yes, it is rather rich reading about all the PPP vote buying when we all know everyone else is doing it as well. TIT after all

The PAD protestors are not being bribed to take part in the PAD movement , they are being paid for the lost hours of work in their jobs, those people cannot demonstrate for months without having an income of sorts.

They have not worked for months ? And receiving money from PAD to offset their loss of income but only if they protest ? Sounds like they have a new job to me. ....... and are BEING PAID TO PROTEST ................ you protest ... you get paid ...... poster should open their eyes and take a look at reality.

This is just getting ridiculous now. You can't just act like petulant children and block up whole airports to prove a point -- that isn't going to get them anywhere except in huge trouble with law enforcement and government. Plus its going to severely effect the Thai economy if tourists and businessmen e.t.c. can't get into the country -- and no one's going to want to come in for a while now when they see all this on the news. Can't this be solved any other way than by blocking up a whole country's transportation services? Sorry if this sounds like ranting but my Thai b/f is in hospital near death and I can't get to him because of all this so its making me just a bit angry. Also we already went through all these PAD sit-ins in September and as far as I saw it did very little good.

I am seriously concerned for my own business because of blocked airport, just like most of you are. But AT LEAST there is someone pointing out how fake and ridiculous is "democracy" in thailand.

When Ghandi was disturbing british policies in India, I guess many people like you would have been outraged "how they dare to block the economy!"

Many people will be damanged by this. But I do support protesters always.

I don't think you should be the person throwing around accusations like that seeming as you're loyties are very anti-PAD. If you have proof then show it. I don't like nonsensical claims.

PAD supporters have been at my Soi's market all evening offering up to 700 Baht a day for anyone coming to protest at the airport. And they have pick-up trucks waiting to be loaded with people before they drive off. They offered it to my wife and her friend while I was standing besides them. Proof enough? Come see it for yourself if you're still ignorant.

Can you please provide a weblink to your proof.

Rainman is a reliable source and poster and he if says that his wife and her friend were offered money -with him present- I have no reason NOT to believe him.

Apart from that, do you think this kind of 'proof' is put on PAD's or anyone else's website ? I'm sure the PAD doesn't hand out receipt tickets for Baht 700 .... :o

If one realizes that almost 50% of the Thai Labor force -18.5 Million people !!- still works in agriculture and that the AVERAGE wage/salary is less than Baht 3,500/month it's maybe better to understand that it is relatively easy for ANY party to find ''protesters''....willing to jump on a truck for Baht 600 or 700/day.

http://thaicrisis.wordpress.com/2008/04/03...m-2002-to-2007/

LaoPo

Even if the PAD will lose this battle, the problem stays with every day of the puppet government in place. And the unrest will go on. That's a fact.

What annoys me most, that the government did not arrest Mr. Thaksin when filing his divorce at the Hongkong embassy! This act alone should tell everyone what is going on in Thailand!

Thailand unite! Stop this self destruction!

Why would the use of the military to restore order automatically trigger a coup??? Many governments use their military to restore order in cases of public unrest... Why is the Thai government so fragile in this respect???

A passing thought...even if the National Police are successful in eradicating the PAD's hired hands that took over the airports, I would not bet that these facilities will be open for normal business anytime soon. Unless the raid is swiftly and violently prosecuted with overwhelming force, there is a good chance that most of the airport infrastructure will be mutilated or destroyed by the vandals.

The PAD played their hand, taking vital infrastructure hostage, foreigners (and the foreign media) right inbetween. If this vital infrastructure would be really in such danger -- and by my assessment it is -- then it has precedence over terrorists who are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Normally I am all for measured force, but a lot of time has passed and the whole story went even to the courts (who decided, as in the case of the Parliament, that the PAD shall evict themselves swiftly). They chose to ignore the court order, now everything will come to its logical conclusion. Not a tear from me for people who are clearly suicidal.

It's been rather quiet with very little news coming in. This may explain why:

The emergency decree orders the police to restore order and gives the military the right to help to "restore order, allow the suspension of civil liberties, ban public gatherings of more than five people and bar the media from reporting news that causes panic."

The military thus can clear out and reopen both airports, which were attacked, occupied and closed by the People's Alliance for Democracy on Tuesday night and Wednesday respectively.

If there is anything worthwhile happening, we may not be able to have access to that. The founding fathers of PPP loved to stifle the media, and I'm sure nothing has changed.

Caution

It should be remembered we have been here before, and a state of emergency has no guarantee of results.

Ex-premier Samak Sundaravej declared a state of emergency last Sept 2 after early morning clashes between pro-government protesters and PAD backers in Bangkok. Police and the army refused to act, and Mr Somchai eventually lifted the state of emergency when he took office.

On the other hand, maybe they police and army are refusing Somchai's request, and the table's will turn on him.

source: http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=132341

Edited by frodo

It sorrows me to see so many writers wasting time on on whether or not the Supporters of PAD are paid or not or whether PPP bought votes. I feel that this is a totally inappropriate time to worry about irrelevant matters.

This thread is thinking about the declared State of Emergency and peoples views on that subject. The future of Thailand is at stake and lives on BOTH sides are at stake.

If you wish to worry about "who has paid who", may I suggest you start a separate Thread which we don't all have to read.

Thank you.

What annoys me is every person that comes in demanding a new thread be formed.

If you want to talk about something else go open your own new thread or join in the discussion or something, anything other then this useless post which contributes nothing to the discussion at all and wastes everyone's time to read it. You want a discussion about the state of emergency yet I don't see anything in your post other then alot of complaining.

I don't need to prove anything to anyone. I know what I see and hear and I write it. Believe it or don't, that's up to you.

Then don't make claims you can't prove simple as that. I'd say you got a lot to prove as you're attacking the side you don't like. It's in your interests to bend the truth.

Rubbish. Please provide live video footage signed by Jonathan head, Man Khi Moon and your mummy or we will just not believe you.

Hope you enjoy your little yellow clapper when you are sat on the plane home SKINT :o

What makes you think I support the PAD? Because I question your "evidence" suddenly I'm not on your side?

, in his writing, (leaving out details of granade attacks against anti-government protesters) to hosting discussion with former Thai Rak Thai officals however never giving an interview to the other side.

I don't like his style, he doesn't lie but he leaves facts out that would if left in would change someones oppinion on a situation.

The current government cheated and isn't legitimate.

3 cheers for Thais getting off their duffs and demanding good government.

That said;

PAD has gone too far. Time to announce a peaceful path to clean government and ask the people to join them now.

If they don't, Thai citizens will now oppose the activists. They are now working against themselves. Their passion has taken their cause far, now it's time to see the end of that road and take the path of reason.

[edit for poor proofreadink and bad spellink]

Edited by ding

I hope Thaksin comes back and kicks some ass next time around and he was "democratically" elected.

Somchai will survive this little escapade as PAD's popularity among the "supposedly" intelligent, like the university bozos, has been leaking steadily away for a while now.

there are three people involved. one should be allowed to do the good and respected job he was doing, one should bow out and be supportive, the third should be taken out for stirring it. think about it