Govt To Deal With Drunken Drivers, Says Pm

george

Govt to deal with drunken drivers, says PM

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has vowed to support officials who take tough measures to control drunken drivers in order to reduce road accidents.

The government will fully support all officials who rigorously carry out its campaign to reduce road accidents, the premier told TNA yesterday.

“I can guarantee that officials, who strictly do their jobs by rigorously enforcing laws on drunks, will be fully supported by the government and treated fairly during any allegation probes,” he said.

The prime minister referred to a recent case of a motorist, who had claimed to be a younger brother of Interior Minister Bhokin Bhalakula, filed a

complaint that he was forced by traffic police to accept a charge of drunken driving and accidentally hitting a pedestrian.

The government has launched an anti-drinking and driving campaign, especially during the New Year holiday period, when the number of fatal

highway accidents increases dramatically.

The government’s target is to reduce last year’s death toll by at least ten percent.

Last year there were more than 600 road deaths during the New Year holidays.

At New Year, millions of Bangkok's residents rush out of the capital city to attend parties in their hometowns and the number of car accidents on roads and highways throughout the country.

The government has also approved a budget to extend the interlink highway to the North from four to eight lanes, with the construction work to

commence soon.

Meanwhile, Mr. Bhokin admitted yesterday that the motorist who was found drunken driving and accidentally hit a pedestrian is his younger brother, but refused to give any comments on the case, saying that he did not know what had happened and saw the matter nonesense.

--TNA 2004-12-14

'At New Year, millions of Bangkok's residents rush out of the capital city to attend parties in their hometowns and the number of car accidents on roads and highways throughout the country.'

Nicely put!

Let's hope they keep up the campaign, but as usual money will talk loudest to the men in brown. It's my impression, though, that more are refusing their 'bonus' in order to uphold the law. Is there light at the end of the tunnel, I wonder.

cool - they'll be able to re-use all of the campaign literature & stuff they had from last time.

What was it - September 1999 ?

I remember the police stopping almost every car on Chaengwattana Rd at certain times & breathalising them. Then suddenly - it all stopped & back to normal.

I hope it lasts this time...

Pedro

Meanwhile, Mr. Bhokin admitted yesterday that the motorist who was found drunken driving and accidentally hit a pedestrian is his younger brother, but refused to give any comments on the case, saying that he did not know what had happened and saw the matter nonesense.

Erm? He saw 'the matter nonsense'? The interior minister? The guy that is putting up a witch hunt for everyone and every little issue such as closing hours? Allow me to be majorly pissed off if this guy think his brother can run down pedestrians while DOD and it is suddenly nonsense.

Thailand is truly amazing. Well, in a country where they wanna tax bribery and prostitution, what else can you expect?

It is easy to create new laws when you are constantly above them.

Edited by mrsouza

cool - they'll be able to re-use all of the campaign literature & stuff they had from last time.

What was it - September 1999 ?

I remember the police stopping almost every car on Chaengwattana Rd at certain times & breathalising them. Then suddenly - it all stopped & back to normal.

I hope it lasts this time...

Pedro

:D:D:D:D : :

Thats another absoultely outrageous funny thing from Taskin. It is another chance for the already corrupt Police force to get another little earner on the side. Until the population demand that corruption is stamped out and take action, anything the Police do is for the Police and not the benefit of the people. Taskin knows this as he was once on of them and it could be said still is.

Thailand and it's police force are a laughing stock and are the mafia in regulation uniform. What about Song Kran more people die then but who gives a flying F***.

It is sad really that it seems like another policy will wipe out something in 30 days. :D:o:D :

Taskin is funnier than Tommy Cooper

just another day of shooting your mouth off - it's been a great year for it - get rid of all drug dealers - increase the Thai IQ by 25% in 4 years- stamp out drink driving - rid the country of bird flu in 1 month - oops - what bird flu- etc etc

After awhile you get sick of hearing it and just ignore it all - welcome to amazing Thailand.

just another day of shooting your mouth off - it's been a great year for it - get rid of all drug dealers - increase the Thai IQ by 25% in 4 years- stamp out drink driving - rid the country of bird flu in 1 month - oops - what bird flu- etc etc

After awhile you get sick of hearing it and just ignore it all - welcome to amazing Thailand.

I agree, but what an improved Thai student ( who knows that (critical) thinking won't kill him ;-) ) said me is that most of the people just believe what the government says, so even if the PM or somebody else from gvt knows that they are telling shit, they prefer to tell it because people will only remember that he succeed to get rid of all drug dealers - increase the Thai IQ by 25% in 4 years- stamp out drink driving - rid the country of bird flu in 1 month, etc... So even if it is bullshit, it's good to get the votes!

Another one of Thaskinomics as usual here. But guess what, those that are drunk when involved in serious accidents usually survive those accidents cause their bodies are like rubber. The ones that die are those that are STONE SOBER.

So which of the two is better. be it loose or stone

Daveyo

Just in case anyone has forgotten, Dr. Bhokhin was the one who allegedly wrote the thesis in French for former Prime Minister Banharn. At the time Dr. Bhokin was the Vice Rector or Ramkhamhaeng U.

Thailand: Illicit foreign campaign undermines Thai PM

Thai prime minister Banharn Silpa-archa has resigned to end a parliamentary debate of no confidence in which he was charged with receiving illicit campaign funding from a foreign source, Indian banker Rakesh Saxena. Mr Saxena is currently fighting extradition proceedings in Canada, alleging these to be politically motivated. He provided documentary evidence to the opposition in support of the allegations that payments in excess of $10 million were paid. Other claims made against the former PM were that he was not a Thai national (and so ineligible for election), that he faked his educational background, that his master's thesis was suspiciously similar to that of an adviser in his office, that family land transactions were under-reported to evade tax and that he had awarded the national lottery franchise to a person close to his wife.

Bangkok Post, 21 September 1996; BBC World Service 23 September 1996

http://www.transparency.org/newsletters/96.4/dec96-7.html

The above article does not mention Dr. Bhokin by name, but I'm sure that the Bangkok Post covered this in 1996

http://archives.mybangkokpost.com/bkkarchi...anharn%20thesis

I must admit i'm pretty new to this forum but it's encouraging to see that I'm not the only one who thinks that these schemes of Mr Thaksins seem to become more unbelievable at every turn. The worst part being that I can't work out if he actually believes his own rhetoric or if it's just a show for the public? Great forum you guys have going here too I'll add while I'm going please keep up the good work :o

I'm sure this will help cut down the DWI's....and also the accidents caused by a burning cigarette:

The Finance Ministry plans to propose a draft ministerial announcement limiting the sale of cigarettes and liquors at a specific time period. Under the proposal, the sale time period will be limited to 11.00-14.00 hours and 17.00-24.00 hours.

I must admit i'm pretty new to this forum but it's encouraging to see that I'm not the only one who thinks that these schemes of Mr Thaksins seem to become more unbelievable at every turn. The worst part being that I can't work out if he actually believes his own rhetoric or if it's just a show for the public?

The worst bit is he's up for re-election this year, and who else is there? :o

Another one of Thaskinomics as usual here.  But guess what, those that are drunk when involved in serious accidents usually survive those accidents cause their bodies are like rubber.  The ones that die are those that are STONE SOBER.

So which of the two is better.  be it loose or stone

Daveyo

Now, this is an interesting theory. Alas not quite correct I believe.

One might add, if 15% of all accidents are caused by drunk drivers, does this mean the police must go after the 85% causing the majority of mishaps while being sober?

Truly amazing Thai politics of Cork Soaker University.. I guess they must teach this to the PMs.. IF a MPs son can kill a policeman and get away with.. do you really thing this makes a difference.. If a Tourist policeman can kill two Brits and get away with it.. do you think it makes a difference.. :o

Let them just have the fun again of having prime time accident death tolls.. makes good Thai copy sells the papers.. gives the rubber neckers places to hang out.. a public service message.. from the folks at Cork Soaker University.

What a joke.. :D

Another one of Thaskinomics as usual here.  But guess what, those that are drunk when involved in serious accidents usually survive those accidents cause their bodies are like rubber.  The ones that die are those that are STONE SOBER.

So which of the two is better.  be it loose or stone

Daveyo

Stone won't have to live with what it has done.

Oh my gosh.

Does that mean we will have to appear in Toxin's study for 6 of the best, if we drink and drive???

The Police already have to powers, they just need to apply them to all, without fear or favour.

As someone else said, that is a tall order.

I must admit i'm pretty new to this forum but it's encouraging to see that I'm not the only one who thinks that these schemes of Mr Thaksins seem to become more unbelievable at every turn. The worst part being that I can't work out if he actually believes his own rhetoric or if it's just a show for the public?

The worst bit is he's up for re-election this year, and who else is there? :o

Don't disagree with any of the comments about Toxin but the point made of not having other candidates to run against him in the election is irrelevant.

The fact is the people of Thailand like him and he'll win re-election in a walk regardless of who the opposition is....seems everyone has missed this point.

I agree, but what an improved Thai student ( who knows that (critical) thinking won't kill him ;-) ) said me is that most of the people just believe what the government says, so even if the PM or somebody else from gvt knows that they are telling shit, they prefer to tell it because people will only remember that he succeed to get rid of all drug dealers - increase the Thai IQ by 25% in 4 years- stamp out drink driving - rid the country of bird flu in 1 month, etc... So even if it is bullshit, it's good to get the votes!

Not at all limited to Thailand ... some 80% of Bush supporters actually thought SAddam was behind 9/11 and more than 60% actually thought they found WMD in Iraq... What an interesting world it would be if people actually paid attnetion for more than 5 years at a time... :o

Not at all limited to Thailand ... some 80% of Bush supporters actually thought SAddam was behind 9/11 and more than 60% actually thought they found WMD in Iraq... What an interesting world it would be if people actually paid attnetion for more than 5 years at a time... :D

Bush supporters can think?!!! :o