Suvarnabhumi PAD Protest Continues

Jai Dee

Manager: Police Open Fire at Suvarnabhumi PAD Protesters

ASTV Manager Online reported that police have fired shots at PAD protesters who are gathering at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The news agency reported that at 9.23 a.m. this morning more than 200 police officers have moved in on the PAD protesters who are gathering at Suvarnabhumi Airport. The police have reportedly fired shots at the protesters near Gate No. 4 of the passenger terminal.

In a another development, at 9.40 a.m., riot police units have set up a police checkpoint and used a mobile jail unit to block off 1 lane of traffic leading to the Suvarnabhumi Airport. More than 100 riot police officers are stationed at the checkpoint.

Source: Thailand Outlook - 29 November 2008

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just reported on BBC news by Jonathan Head that Pad guards went down to confront the police and clashed with them.

His account is that the police backed down and ran away ( his words not mine. )

Mumbai looks to be ending and the eyes of the world are coming back this way.

Lets hope this ends in the best way possible and no one is hurt.

Looking at the live feed from within the airport, not much progress is made by the police...

I've only read quotes of there being 100 - 200 riot police at the entrance. Surely that wouldn't be enough to move in.

Does anyone happen to have an educated guess on how far the entrance to the airport is from the actual terminal itself?

I have just heard this from a Thai in the office that they are opening fire on the PAD protesters...

My own view is they have it coming, it is not as if they were not warned !!! .. i hope this makes them think twice about accepting 700 THB a risking their lives for a couple of Thais that cannot accept they didnt make it to power!

I hope innocent people are not hurt...

Looking at the live feed from within the airport, not much progress is made by the police...

I've only read quotes of there being 100 - 200 riot police at the entrance. Surely that wouldn't be enough to move in.

Does anyone happen to have an educated guess on how far the entrance to the airport is from the actual terminal itself?

Hard to say. What is considered the entrance of the airport? Basically the airport motorway extension road just runs between the parking building and the terminal...

I have just heard this from a Thai in the office that they are opening fire on the PAD protesters...

My own view is they have it coming, it is not as if they were not warned !!! .. i hope this makes them think twice about accepting 700 THB a risking their lives for a couple of Thais that cannot accept they didnt make it to power!

PAD never intended, in my opinion, to leave without violence

The news agency reported that at 9.23 a.m. this morning more than 200 police officers have moved in on the PAD protesters who are gathering at Suvarnabhumi Airport. The police have reportedly fired shots at the protesters near Gate No. 4 of the passenger terminal.

Looks like they're not too far back then.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/toc/ViewData...?DataID=1010889

Edited by tacosmith

PAD never intended, in my opinion, to leave without violence

:o Oh course they never intended to leave without violence. They kept saying that they would defend it to the end.

Any information on anything happening near Don Muang. My family has a house less than a half mile from there?

:D

Police forced to cancel checkpoints on roads to Suvarnabhumi airport

Situation around Suvarnabhumi airport became tense on Saturday morning after police set up barriers and checkpoints on all roads leading to the airport to prevent more protesters from coming to the airport.

The measures were implemented after Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat issued state of emergency issued on Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi Airports which were under seizure of the protesters since last week.

However the protesters managed to make police retreat from all roads after about half and hour heat negotiation.

A protester leader dismissed a report by manager online that police fired at protesters.

Source: The Nation - 29 November 2008

Situation around Suvarnabhumi airport became tense on Saturday morning after police set up barriers and checkpoints on all roads leading to the airport to prevent more protesters from coming to the airport.

However the protesters managed to make police retreat from all roads after about half and hour heat negotiation.

A protester leader dismissed a report manager online that police fired at protesters.

source: http://nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/r...newsid=30089750

A lot of conflicting information right now

I hope nobody gets hurt. Thaksin's brother in-law? Give me a freakin break. The PM really needs to just step down, since it really IS a proxy government in power.

I second that, but I am afraid that we are at a point where people concerned won't listen because they are ordered not to and amend the constitution, then dissolve the house with a free ticket to ride, success ensured!

A protester leader dismissed a report manager online that police fired at protesters.

source: http://nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/r...newsid=30089750

A lot of conflicting information right now

you got this in thai? english?

I think it would be wise to not consider ASTV a 'news source', for posts here or otherwise.

Also the 'live feed' shows what their spin doctors want you to see.

Stick with the BBC.

The problem with the BBC is it tends to be several hours out of date and then inaccurate at best!

PAD driving away police at Suvarnabhumi

Police who set up security checkpoints at Suvarnabhumi airport were overran by a handful of protesters led by the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) on Saturday morning. The PAD mobilised more yellow-clad protesters to drive the police out of the airport. The protesters destroyed police vehicles, including inmate trucks, and blockaded the motorway to Suvarnabhumi.

After the Emergency Decree was enforced in Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports, police were deployed to the motorway and set up security checkpoints to stop more demonstrators from entering Suvarnabhumi. However, the operation fell short as the police could not resist the anti-government raid.

More from the Bangkok Post here.