Suvarnabhumi PAD Protest Continues

Jai Dee

Bangkok correspondents are first class with excellent networks and comprehension.

Yeah, right.

There are plenty of news stories from international agencies posted here - at best they translate reports in Thai media, and editorials and opinions always look like written for imbeciles.

Apologists for the PAD will always find a reason to question reports on Thailand in the Western press, some through bizarre conspiracy theories, some through ignorance and denial and some because they cannot bear to hear the truth.

Western media and the truth... Everyone apparently forgot WMD fiasco as if it had never happened.

The political act here in Thailand is a joke.

You bringing up GW does not change that fact does it.. By the way, America just had an election and elected a Black man. No coup there. In fact your Bush bashing, well deserved by GW, only shows how solid the American system is. He was and is very unpopular in America but there is NO coup.

Thanks for making the point.

They have never had a coup.

Even when a president like Nixon was forced to resign, he was replaced by his own VP from his own party. That is the system there.

When the economy looks a lot more like Burma here, maybe you will see that the coup idea is a a bad one.

Trade tariffs will hit here in time.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok correspondents are first class with excellent networks and comprehension.

Yeah, right.

There are plenty of news stories from international agencies posted here - at best they translate reports in Thai media, and editorials and opinions always look like written for imbeciles.

Apologists for the PAD will always find a reason to question reports on Thailand in the Western press, some through bizarre conspiracy theories, some through ignorance and denial and some because they cannot bear to hear the truth.

Western media and the truth... Everyone apparently forgot WMD fiasco as if it had never happened.

You bringing up GW does not change that fact does it.. By the way, America just had an election and elected a Black man. No coup there. In fact your Bush bashing, well deserved by GW, only shows how solid the American system is. He was and is very unpopular in America but there is NO coup.

Thanks for making the point.

They have never had a coup.

Even when a president like Nixon was forced to resign, he was replaced by his own VP from his own party. That is the system there.

When the economy looks a lot more like Burma here, maybe you will see that the coup idea is a a bad one.

Trade tariffs will hit here in time.

agree - and go further, any media and the truth... a stretch to use these words in the same sentence. and you are correct Ford was never elected but appointed as the vp moves up when pres resigns.

ethnic cleansing

:D:o

You don't think you're possibly exagerating a teensy little bit here ? :D

Sadly that' s how things start, deny the vote that people have died to obtain.

We have seen ethnic cleansing recently.

Maybe the PAD leaders can explain to us where exactly their policy of denying the vote to the poor ends?

I still think that you are exagerating a teensy little bit, to claim that there has been ethnic cleansing here in Thailand, recently.

If you want an example of disrespect for democracy or the voters, how about the PPP's foiled-attempt, to push through constitutional change on a last-minute before-they-were-dissolved vote in parliament, rather than a fully-consulted fully-debated referendum to be voted-upon by the people ? Or would that have been too too democratic ?

Edited by Ricardo

Its been reported on tv that a USA news channel has described the PAD as "anti-government terrorists"

This after the BBC referred to the "armed PAD para-militaries".

The international community's response.

Do you have links to those claims?

btw, even if true, it wouldn't be the first time, nor last, the western press got something wrong.

Both reported on tv.

Western press or thai courts.?..... Western Press everytime.

Certainly dozens and dozens of news articles have not used that terminology.

Its been reported on tv that a USA news channel has described the PAD as "anti-government terrorists"

This after the BBC referred to the "armed PAD para-militaries".

The international community's response.

Do you have links to those claims?

btw, even if true, it wouldn't be the first time, nor last, the western press got something wrong.

Apologists for the PAD will always find a reason to question reports on Thailand in the Western press, some through bizarre conspiracy theories, some through ignorance and denial and some because they cannot bear to hear the truth.Often in Thailand "rules" will be invoked to stifle discussion but of course this never really works and as noted previously one could drive a bus between what is officially off limits and what is in fact being discussed and debated by Thais.The farang defenders of the PAD leadership and mob are an odd lot.Quite why they have thrown in their lot with this gruesome bunch of fascists is hard to understand.Presumably the main reason is through family associations.

As for Western reports it doesn't really matter which media outlet one looks at.Some are better than others certainly and the best Bangkok correspondents are first class with excellent networks and comprehension.The general picture coming through is much the same and interestingly many Thai journals are beginning to report the hitherto obscured background.

PAD bashers never skip an opportunity to make mountains out of molehills as well as throw in a flame or two or three.

I simply asked the source of the news. It's a very standard inquiry here when out-of-the-ordinary claims are made.

Edited by sriracha john

Everything is Solved!

-Democractic functions are first rate, transparent and stable.

-Thailands credibility to the rest of the world is restored, improved.

-This paradise on earth will continue to set an example how things should be done.

-Business will florish, investment levels will reach new heights.

-Political and economice stability unsurrpassed.

NOT

-Amazing Thailand. Truly unique.

:o

Yeah, right.

I see you have adopted your alter ego's habit of deliberately misleading quotes.I said "the best Bangkok correspondents are first class...".Carry this kind of standard on and you won't be far removed from the moron who recently described the excellent and fair minded Jonathan Head as a "<deleted>"

Actually your paranoia is already documented with your absurd theory that Thaksin's Moony look norng influenced Economist editorials on Thailand.I await your explanations for the universal distaste for PAD fascism of every respected journal and media outlet in the Western world.In the pay of Thaksin, doesn't understand Thailand, lefty nonsense, not a proper journalist....take your pick or mix and match.

The sheer poverty of your argument is illustrated by your desperate reference to WMD.Yes most- not all- of the Western press was fooled but in the end came to see the truth.Your irritation at the Western democratic values often seems to pervade everything you write -but that's your problem.Look you're not the only person I basically respect who has gone off the rails.Look at Korn's article in the Bangkok Post earlier this week - plumb crazy!

Incidentally on vote buying you misrepresent my position.It's deplorable but it didn't materially affect the election result.I seem to remember Pueae Paendin spent several multiples of what the PPP paid in the NE, but the PPP easily prevailed.Of course there's a need to curtail vote buying and whatever the EC says that includes the Dems as well.

Edited by Jai Dee
Flame deleted.

Madi, the fact that Obama was elected doesn't have anything to do with "media - truth" relation.

No thanks for going off point.

Nixon resigned, he didn't wait for the coup. None of the Thai PMs resigned volunarily - so here for your comparison between Thai and US politics.

Actually Chuan I resigned after a land scandal, and Chavalit resigned after mishandling 1997 crisis - prior to TRT/PPP politicians felt responsible before the people. That has clearly changed.

The airport is opening today! Just off the news on TV. When all you guys stop arguing "semantics" and stop pulling each other to bits, lets just admit that PAD did start this protest on legitimate grounds, with very good reason too. I think personally though, despite the good reasons for the protest, they did get way off track and "HAVE RUINED THIS COUNTRY DOING IT!" The economy was in a down slide, yes agreed, but nobody can deny, that the irresponsible actions of PAD have torn this country apart and destroyed the lives of many people. I think that we have to make the best with what we have. Nothing can "fix" this countries problems over night. It needs time and some "new blood" in any party which may form. I just hope that we can now relax a bit, cool off and remember all those "good reasons" for which we all of us here on Thai Visa, have decided to live here in Thailand. <snip> I for one, just hope this will end now.

Edited by Jai Dee
Refererence to royalty deleted.

I could say the same about the political act in America.

One president starts a war on false pretences that has left 10's of thousands of people dead, and gets 2 terms in office. Even after all his justifications for starting the war were proven false, no attempt was made to remove him from office (can't impeach a president during a war ! Even if it's one he started for suspect reasons and has lead to more American deaths than 9/11.)

Another president gets a BJ in the White House and has to face impeachment hearings. Guess old Billy should have invaded another country too.

So, to sum up those two examples.

Start a war - Get a 2nd term in office.

Get a BJ - Get Impeached (or nearly so).

Yes, there hasn't been a coup in America (yet). But then again, GW and others haven't (openly) changed laws for their personal benefit. GW and others haven't tried amending the constitution to save their own necks. GW and company haven't tried (or threatened) to impeach the Supreme Court to prevent a ruling that was unfavourable to them.

And do you think that the American people would just sit back in their easy chairs sipping their ice tea, if their government had tried doing all that ?

Do you think that if a few years down the road, GW is found charged with a crime, found guilty, sentenced to prison, flees the country, and then (openly) exerts control of the government through proxies and fomenting unrest, that the American people would just sit back and say

"Gosh golly darn Martha, I really don't like what is happening, our country is in trouble and our democracy is threatened, but I'll just sit here and watch it go down the tubes, and hope that it all sorts itself out. After all, I wouldn't want to inconvenience anyone by trying to defend my country."

Hmmm, during the "Kent State Massacre" who were the terrorists, the students protesting America's invasion of Cambodia, or the Ohio National Guard that opened fire on them ?

It seems a lot of people here, from older, more established democracies, really wanted to see blood flowing in the streets.

Gees, too bad you guys weren't around during the American Revolution ! You could have jumped up, grabbed your trusty musket and shot those pesky upstart colonials that wanted to throw out the ruling British. Can you imagine the nerve of those colonials, inconveniencing a large part of the country (at the time) by dumping huge quantities of tea into the harbour !

Thailand's democracy is in it's infancy compared to America's and (most) of Europe's. There has been a lot of turmoil over the 70+ years since they started out, and they have a ways to go yet.

How it gets played out in the end depends on the Thai people.

Madi, the fact that Obama was elected doesn't have anything to do with "media - truth" relation.

No thanks for going off point.

Nixon resigned, he didn't wait for the coup. None of the Thai PMs resigned volunarily - so here for your comparison between Thai and US politics.

Actually Chuan I resigned after a land scandal, and Chavalit resigned after mishandling 1997 crisis - prior to TRT/PPP politicians felt responsible before the people. That has clearly changed.

Some people do not like to be told the truth.

Why say something that all educated people know is nonsense?

You said this. "Nixon resigned, he didn't wait for the coup. None of the Thai PMs resigned volunarily - so here for your comparison between Thai and US politics."

Nixon resigned before being removed under the Constitution in America by the US Congress. His party was NOT removed. It was not outlawed. No court can remove a president in a real democracy and you know it. Only the Congress or Parliment can do that.

He was not thrown out for being on a cooking show. HAAA HAAA

You remind me of someone who sees a mass murderer and defends him by saying we all make mistakes.

HAAAA HAAA

Keep it up because it makes me laugh.

HAAAAA

Trade tariffs are coming and then you will of course call everyone in the world names.

I could say the same about the political act in America.

One president starts a war on false pretences that has left 10's of thousands of people dead, and gets 2 terms in office. Even after all his justifications for starting the war were proven false, no attempt was made to remove him from office (can't impeach a president during a war ! Even if it's one he started for suspect reasons and has lead to more American deaths than 9/11.)

Another president gets a BJ in the White House and has to face impeachment hearings. Guess old Billy should have invaded another country too.

So, to sum up those two examples.

Start a war - Get a 2nd term in office.

Get a BJ - Get Impeached (or nearly so).

Yes, there hasn't been a coup in America (yet). But then again, GW and others haven't (openly) changed laws for their personal benefit. GW and others haven't tried amending the constitution to save their own necks. GW and company haven't tried (or threatened) to impeach the Supreme Court to prevent a ruling that was unfavourable to them.

And do you think that the American people would just sit back in their easy chairs sipping their ice tea, if their government had tried doing all that ?

Do you think that if a few years down the road, GW is found charged with a crime, found guilty, sentenced to prison, flees the country, and then (openly) exerts control of the government through proxies and fomenting unrest, that the American people would just sit back and say

"Gosh golly darn Martha, I really don't like what is happening, our country is in trouble and our democracy is threatened, but I'll just sit here and watch it go down the tubes, and hope that it all sorts itself out. After all, I wouldn't want to inconvenience anyone by trying to defend my country."

Hmmm, during the "Kent State Massacre" who were the terrorists, the students protesting America's invasion of Cambodia, or the Ohio National Guard that opened fire on them ?

It seems a lot of people here, from older, more established democracies, really wanted to see blood flowing in the streets.

Gees, too bad you guys weren't around during the American Revolution ! You could have jumped up, grabbed your trusty musket and shot those pesky upstart colonials that wanted to throw out the ruling British. Can you imagine the nerve of those colonials, inconveniencing a large part of the country (at the time) by dumping huge quantities of tea into the harbour !

Thailand's democracy is in it's infancy compared to America's and (most) of Europe's. There has been a lot of turmoil over the 70+ years since they started out, and they have a ways to go yet.

How it gets played out in the end depends on the Thai people.

This topic continue here:

BREAKING NEWS:

Suvarnabhumi to partly open Friday, Protesters leave Airports, Govt House

Full story:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Suvarnabhumi...-O-t227152.html

Thaivisa Flight Services:

Find a flight in or out of Thailand today - We have them!:

http://www.thaivisa.com/latest/thaivisa-ex...assistance.html