Suvarnabhumi PAD Protest Continues

Jai Dee

And here:

http://www.astv-tv.com/toc_broadcast.html

Does anyone have a link to live bbc world news? I've only got CNN and it seems they can't remove themselves from Mumbai. The tragedy that that is, there are a lot of other stories in the world.

the tv channel is in thai, and i dont speak enough to follow.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be wise to not consider ASTV a 'news source', for posts here or otherwise.

Also the 'live feed' shows what their spin doctors want you to see.

Stick with the BBC.

The problem with the BBC is it tends to be several hours out of date and then inaccurate at best!

The ASTV shows the scene on the ground. The other news outlets in Thailand continue to show game shows and soap operas. If you don't want the spin, turn off the volume.

Thai protesters force police to abandon checkpoint

Hundreds of anti-government protesters forced several dozen Thai riot police to abandon a checkpoint on Saturday as they tightened their siege of the country's main airport, witnesses said.

Around 2,000 People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) supporters forced back about 150 police from a kilometre (0.6 mile) north of Suvarnabhumi Airport, although the incident passed off without violence.

The protesters are seeking to oust Thai Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat in the latest escalation in a long-running political crisis.

A day after their police chief was sacked for mishandling the protests, commanders on the ground said they would not yet try to evict by force the thousands of protesters at Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang airports.

But PAD supporters were taking no chances and on Saturday deflated the tyres of ambulances and police vehicles at the police checkpoint. Several vehicles were left stranded in the middle of the road.

The PAD say they are ready for a prolonged siege, with their 'security guards' armed with clubs, sticks and golf clubs, and dug in behind a series of barricades of fire trucks, razor wire, car tyres and luggage trolleys.

PAD co-leader and retired general Chamlong Srimuang told supporters on Saturday not to go to Suvarnabhumi as there were enough people there and instead go to Government House, where the protests started months ago.

'Too many people will not help if police shut us there. If you're on your way here, please go to the Government House because if police shut us here, we'll still have people to help,' he said.

In a televised address on Thursday night, Prime Minister Somchai said the PAD members barricaded at the airports were doing massive damage to the economy, but he would avoid violence to end the protests.

Source: Reuters - 29 November 2008

From the Bangkok Post report...

However, the operation fell short as the police could not resist the anti-government raid.

Besides, the protesters were able to take back their knives and rods seized by the authorities earlier.

If it weren't serious it'd be Gilbert & Sullivan.

The more the rent-a-protesters crush the economy without any repercussions the more emboldened they get. Before this I sympathized with organized protest against what they feel is a corrupt government but this has become megalomania and anarchy. School is now in session.

From the Bangkok Post report...

However, the operation fell short as the police could not resist the anti-government raid.

Besides, the protesters were able to take back their knives and rods seized by the authorities earlier.

If it weren't serious it'd be Gilbert & Sullivan.

so is it police or army/military doing the operation?

Anti-government protesters abduct police officer

Associated Press reporters see anti-government protesters abduct a Thai police officer near the scene of a tense stand off at Thailand's international airport.

About 1,000 demonstrators moved in Saturday on a police checkpoint and a confrontation ensued, though no violence erupted. Police later hastily withdrew from the scene.

One officer remained, however, and was grabbed by protesters, put in a vehicle, and driven away.

Thai police have reinforced their presence at Suvarnabhumi international airport, seized Tuesday by the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy.

The group also has taken over a smaller, domestic airport in Bangkok and the prime minister's office.

Source: AP - 29 November 2008

The more the rent-a-protesters crush the economy without any repercussions the more emboldened they get. Before this I sympathized with organized protest against what they feel is a corrupt government but this has become megalomania and anarchy. School is now in session.

As you should be able to understand by now that these are not paid protesters. Paid protesters give up before they die. Only true believer overrun police armed with automatic guns.

The government's only purpose is to do the bidding of its offshore fugitive mentor. If the government is neither responsible nor representative, but refuses to go until its offshore leader's agenda succeeds, do you think the protestors should just give up and go home? They obviously believe the country's institutions and future are at stake. They think that matters more than short term inconvenience and the impatience of those who wish everything could proceed by gentlemen's rules.

Associated Press reporters see anti-government protesters abduct a Thai police officer near the scene of a tense stand off at Thailand's international airport.

About 1,000 demonstrators moved in Saturday on a police checkpoint and a confrontation ensued, though no violence erupted. Police later hastily withdrew from the scene.

One officer remained, however, and was grabbed by protesters, put in a vehicle, and driven away.

Thai police have reinforced their presence at Suvarnabhumi international airport, seized Tuesday by the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy.

The group also has taken over a smaller, domestic airport in Bangkok and the prime minister's office.

Hostage taking now? The word terrorist is looking more and more fitting.

As you should be able to understand by now that these are not paid protesters. Paid protesters give up before they die. Only true believer overrun police armed with automatic guns.

Or ones that know full well that the police won't fire.

Hostage taking now? The word terrorist is looking more and more fitting.

Was the policeman an innocent bystander? (Anyway, what credence does this report have?)

If this is true why were several Thai's I know offered 500 Baht to protest at the airport? Also once you go there they threaten you with violence if you want to leave. I realize they feel their cause is important and justified by any means necessary and that is why they should be removed because Hitler felt the same.

I'm not saying Thaksin is St. Francis but he and his marionette Brother in law were elected by the majority so who is wrong here?

Before this I sympathized with organized protest against what they feel is a corrupt government

Oh really?

I don't remember anything like that from you, Wasabi. Ever

I never posted about this when I thought the protesters were in the right it is only now when I feel the situation has become very dangerous and unhealthy for the nation I feel compelled to post about it.

Time to bring in the Israeli army who could have this mess cleaned up in 5 minutes.

Time to bring in Mossad and take out Thaksin. They'd have this mess cleaned up in 4 minutes.

It would be goodbye in Dubai.

This is what it's all about.............. T H A K S I N.

If this is true why were several Thai's I know offered 500 Baht to protest at the airport? Also once you go there they threaten you with violence if you want to leave. I realize they feel their cause is important and justified by any means necessary and that is why they should be removed because Hitler felt the same.

I'm not saying Thaksin is St. Francis but he and his marionette Brother in law were elected by the majority so who is wrong here?

that is nonsense, rumors spread from PPP.

Think:

Offered 500 Baht

Hold hostage against your will there

Police come with automatic guns

you raid the police without guns?????????????

Lot friends and some relatives stay there almost every night, sometimes on the day, no one got money, no one was blocked from going home, no one saw some one begging for being allowed to go home.

As well I was a couple of times at government house and they let me go again.

Of course possible that some supporter by their own help some people who want to go there, so their families has money for food. But for sure no official buying people.

It looks like nobody in the police wants

a. blood on their hands

b. to put their necks on the line when government change may be imminent

c. to be the one who triggers the coup

d. pay more than lip service to the PM

Somchai is also undermined by hiding in Chiang Mai. If he were in Bangkok he would have more authority. Who is going to risk themself for a leader who has admitted he is hiding in Chaing Mai becuase he is scared of the military? This seems to be where we are now, and short of a really committed police leader with close connections to Thaksin and the PPP or a vigilante action by the red shirts it looks like the situation will continue unresolved.

U-tapao airport's director askes for cooperation

The director of U-tapao Airport called for cooperation from all airlines and passengers using the airport to respect the rights of one another due to the airport’s limited capacity.

U-tapao Airport director R.A.Sophon Bunchom (โสภณ บุญชม) said that the airport's can accommodate only 40 airplanes and 100-200 passengers and it would therefore take a long time in luggage transferring. He said at present only staff of the Thai Airways International arrange flights at the airport.

As for measures to deal with the People’s Alliance for Democracy’s (PAD) who may surround the airport, the director said that the governor of Rayong province had traveled to the airport to assess the situation himself and sent officials to assist the airport. The director also expressed his belief that the situation will not be worrisome and requested people who are using the airport to respect the place as it is a military zone.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand - 29 November 2008

The Royal Thai police are a joke!!!! They went in to remove the PAD from Suvarnabhumi and what happened, the PAD ended up raiding the police trucks and taking their riot gear. The Thai police force is going to be the laughing stock if the law enforcement community if they can't control the situation. We need to get Batman to take of the PAD, atleast he won't back down hahaha.

Oh Somchai should just quit, he freaking ego is just making the situtaion worse, he obviously has no control of our country which is in chaos now.

Just the latest BBC report. Jonathan Head reported that the police began some sort of action more than an hour ago, but were met by "hardened" PAD protesters. Head's comment was that "the police appeared to be more frightened of the PAD approaching them than the PAD were of the police".

Nothing going on now according to BBC. Oh wait, it's almost midday. Time for the Keystone Cops to kin kaow!

that is nonsense, rumors spread from PPP.

Think:

Offered 500 Baht

Hold hostage against your will there

Police come with automatic guns

you raid the police without guns?????????????

Lot friends and some relatives stay there almost every night, sometimes on the day, no one got money, no one was blocked from going home, no one saw some one begging for being allowed to go home.

As well I was a couple of times at government house and they let me go again.

Of course possible that some supporter by their own help some people who want to go there, so their families has money for food. But for sure no official buying people.

Yes, a simple visit to the PAD at Government House before this week would put paid to the myths and misinformation that seems to be rampant on thaivisa.com. "Paid rent-a-protestors!" Sounds slick when you say it quickly, but it has no validity, just noise.

They just showed a clip on BBC. There were many protesters surrounding the police, but not a single arrest or shot. The only thing I could see from the clip was the police and a few protesters talking followed by the police leaving. BBC did report that the police don't feel comfortable with this situation.

How much longer can the government keep their heads in the sand? The police and military really don't want involvement and have little regard for the Somchai lead PPP.

In highly propagandistic situations like this there is a great chance everything I have been told is not as it seems. So I don't mean to further mistruths if that is the case. I'm just reporting what people I trust have told me, not what I have read in the news.

What I have been told is the PAD doesn't want the people in Issan to have an equal vote in the demographic process. It seems obvious because they don't like who they select. Also actions speak louder than words. Also I see Somchai barking orders from safety in Chiang Mai via video feed. The same for Thaksin. This seems cowardly on both their parts. The whole situation is very saddening to me and I would like it to end. Not because it's an inconvenience to me personally. I have no need to go to the airport and haven't noticed anything different on my soi. If I didn't read the news I wouldn't even know this was going on.

My views on this may have changed but it is a thinking person's obligation to develop their thesis. I am sad about this because it is crippling the economy and the opportunity of the Thai's. I really don't know the answer. The Government that the majority elected to step down? Or the protesters to feel they've made their point and step away. I don't think either side wants to use reason. So it will have to end violently which is a terrible tragedy.

Does anyone have a link to live bbc world news? I've only got CNN and it seems they can't remove themselves from Mumbai. The tragedy that that is, there are a lot of other stories in the world.

I'd be surprised if the BBC was any better. During the Tsunami, my hotel in Patong only got the BBC, and it was non-stop reporting on India. Barely any mention of Thailand, Indonesia, Sumatra, etc.