Suvarnabhumi PAD Protest Continues

Jai Dee

Manager: Police Open Fire at Suvarnabhumi PAD Protesters

ASTV Manager Online reported that police have fired shots at PAD protesters who are gathering at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The news agency reported that at 9.23 a.m. this morning more than 200 police officers have moved in on the PAD protesters who are gathering at Suvarnabhumi Airport. The police have reportedly fired shots at the protesters near Gate No. 4 of the passenger terminal.

In a another development, at 9.40 a.m., riot police units have set up a police checkpoint and used a mobile jail unit to block off 1 lane of traffic leading to the Suvarnabhumi Airport. More than 100 riot police officers are stationed at the checkpoint.

Source: Thailand Outlook - 29 November 2008

The Bangkok Post got it right. These PAD "protesters" are terrorists. When people seize up an entire country, put innocent people at risk of death (various hospitals rely on medicine flown in from afar), untold numbers of people are likely to lose their livelihoods as a result of these cretins, etc., it's time for action. The "justness" of their "cause" and their politics are no longer relevant. The issue now is the lives of innocent people and the very survival of Thailand as a viable country. Bring out the heavy equipment, give them ONE last warning, then stick it to them. Those terrorists that survive get a one-way ticket to the BKK Hilton.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK YOUR STORIES!!!!! DO NOT SET UP PEOPLE AGAINST EACH OTHER!

Obviously a ply as the protestleader on TV did not knew about anything. It is called MISINFORMATION and brought into the world to ask supporters to come and help them out.

The nations says this:

A protester leader dismissed a report by manager online that police fired at protesters.

Sondhi vows to fight off police if they raid ASTV office

Sondhi Limthongkul, No-1 leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy and owner of astv satellite TV, vowed Saturday morning to fight off police if they raid astv head office to shut it down.

Speaking on the TV at 10:16 am, Sondhi said he learned that Metropolitan Police chief Pol Lt Gen Suchart Muenkaew will deploy policemen to shut down ASTV.

"We will not open our doors to police. If they storm in to shoot at us, we'll shoot back. We'll be ready to die," Sondhi said.Source: The Nation - 29 November 2008

I hope all the PAD sympathizers who have been posting on here claiming their right to 'non violent protest' can see the images being shown on tv, the actions towards the police, the wooden stakes etc.

Boy do you like to mix apple and oranges and try to make everyone think they are the same.

ASTV is private property, it is not a public protest site. Defending ones personal property is a right that most nations recognize.

Lets see.......POLICE:AR16 riles, grenades, Siege trucks, batons, shields

PAD: Motorcycle helmets, wooden sticks, and hand clappers.

Yep the police should be afraid of these desperate demonstrators.

Just incase you have no access to ALJAZEERA, PAD has already capture the Police truck with all the riot equipments intack. The live report showing the PAD freely distribute the truck equipment to their guards, while the woman are releasing the type pressure.

NOW, both sides are equally equiped.

Edited by BowmoreIslay

I hope nobody gets hurt. Thaksin's brother in-law? Give me a freakin break. The PM really needs to just step down, since it really IS a proxy government in power.

Despite PAD's PR program, Thaksin was democratically elected as was the party of the present PM. I can't believe that so many Thai actually think the people in Bangkok deserve to have their votes count more that anyone else. What rubbish! Now they are nothing but thugs in my opinion!

I hope they slam a lid on these terrorists. :D

So far the charges are air piracy (terrorism) interfering with international passengers (terrorism) interfering with international airlines carrying out its contractual legal rights (terrorism)

Discharging a firearm with intent to cause injury or death while in the commission of a terrorist act, taking over an airport (air piracy)

Simply put this is the same thing that was done in Lebanon, Palestine, Afghanistan, Iran, Irag, Sudan and so on. Almost copy cat terrorism.

None of the authorities want to take responsibility for what happens next. Either the PM resigns and gives a blow to democracy as the duly elected or the police and army act and spill blood.

I fear blood will tarnish the new and old airports and Thailand will have yet another monument to grieve the innocent, the guilty and the greedy.

:o

Prem Thailand needs you now

Sondhi Limthongkul, No-1 leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy and owner of astv satellite TV, vowed Saturday morning to fight off police if they raid astv head office to shut it down.

Speaking on the TV at 10:16 am, Sondhi said he learned that Metropolitan Police chief Pol Lt Gen Suchart Muenkaew will deploy policemen to shut down ASTV.

"We will not open our doors to police. If they storm in to shoot at us, we'll shoot back. We'll be ready to die," Sondhi said.Source: The Nation - 29 November 2008

I hope all the PAD sympathizers who have been posting on here claiming their right to ‘non violent protest’ can see the images being shown on tv, the actions towards the police, the wooden stakes etc.

Boy do you like to mix apple and oranges and try to make everyone think they are the same.

ASTV is private property, it is not a public protest site. Defending ones personal property is a right that most nations recognize.

Your reply is a bit at odds with my question.

Directly, so you support the idea of PAD supporters shooting at the police?

Do you agree with the sentimnets they should be "willing to die'?

ASTV is private property. So is the airport. So if you do think the PAD are justified in using guns to defend their property I guess you suopport the authoities using bullets to defend the airport?

I think we've seen a clear demonstration of just what the natonal police are and are not going to do. Regardless of which faction one favors, or the current government's legitimacy, this government simply isn't able to govern. Soon the world's eyes will turn to Thailand, and somelthing will have to happen. I think the game's actually already over - it's just a matter of the PM retiring his govt with as much face as possible. Not sure what could possibly happen to change this dynamic at this point. The national police could change it, but obviously they're not; the military could change it, but they're just as obviously not going to either. PAD has been gambling on that inaction (or possibly had, shall we say, a certain sense of things...), and it would seem the bet has paid off. It may be in fact, that had it not been for the Mumbai attacks, the PAD would have ALREADY prevailed in this contest.

'Not saying this is the preferred outcome; not saying it does or doesn't bode well for Thailand's future; not saying the people's interests are best served by it all. 'Just saying that's where I think this is headed in the short term.

Yes you are right there . But what to do ... that is the question . Imagine having new elections where i am very sure PPP wins again . so we go back on the street and fight ... and we do it over and over again ??? The way i see it is that there is no solution at all besides a civil war if both parties are not willing to talk to oneother . That is how the situation is at the moment ... and civil war is closer then you want it to be at the moment .

Off topic ... the PAD leaders say they want to get rid of the corrupt government ... not corruption itself .. because they are in fact just the same . Do not even think 1 sec that this country will change if PAD takes over the country . This country is based on corruption on every single bone of it due to the fact that money in Thailand is nr1 and if you have money people are happy to give you more . Like 1 Thai woman said to me ... 1st you need money ( that is M ) after you get power ( that is P ) if you have PM you get more PM and MP .

well we all know thet BBC bloe everything up just like when we was healping with the Tsnaumi there are like flies get in the way and report what they want

Just reported on BBC news by Jonathan Head that Pad guards went down to confront the police and clashed with them.

His account is that the police backed down and ran away ( his words not mine. )

Mumbai looks to be ending and the eyes of the world are coming back this way.

Lets hope this ends in the best way possible and no one is hurt.

Airport Activists Capture Copper

Anti-government protesters in Thailand have taken a police officer captive as tensions at an airport standoff escalate.

The trouble occured when 1,000 activists moved in on a police checkpoint close to the Suvarnabhumi international airport in Bangkok, seized on Tuesday.

The advance triggered a confrontation that subsided without violence when the police hastily withdrew.

However, one remaining officer was grabbed by protesters, put in a vehicle, and driven away, international reporters said.

The kidnapping intensifies fears that the four-day airport siege will end in violence, despite the Thai prime minister earlier pledging to use peaceful methods to resolve the issue.

Thousands of travellers remain stranded in the country's capital with all civilian air traffic blocked.

Both protesters and police reinforced their presence at Suvarnabhumi international airport, prior to the officer's capture.

Earlier, more protesters arrived at the airport in cars and buses despite road blocks set up by police, boosting their number to several thousand.

"Today, we see blood with our eyes. We will fight," said Sondhi Limthongkul, protest leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy. "At this moment, there is no way we will negotiate."

Protesters are demanding the resignation of the government it accuses of being a puppet of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Shinawatra, who recently relinquished control of Manchester City football club, was ousted by a 2006 military coup and fled overseas to escape corruption charges.

Current prime minister Somchai Wongsawat, Shinawatra's brother-in-law, declared a state of emergency at Suvarnabhumi and at the smaller Don Muang domestic airport, also occupied by demonstrators.

But in a televised address on Friday night he said: "Do not be concerned. The security forces will use peaceful means.

"There will be negotiations and whatever else which is appropriate in the situation."

Mr Wongsawat also demoted the national police chief amid speculation he disagreed with government policy.

The failure to end the illegal airport closures has led to calls in the media for Mr Wongsawat to step down, even from those who oppose the protesters.

Source: Sky News - 29 November 2008

They should release the police officer. Somchai's best option would now seem to be call an election. It is a pity he didnt do this earlier when asked.

He's not a normal police officer. He's Border Police. These are the guys that did all the damage on October 7. I'm sure PAD would like to ask him a few questions.

PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK YOUR STORIES!!!!! DO NOT SET UP PEOPLE AGAINST EACH OTHER!

Obviously a ply as the protestleader on TV did not knew about anything. It is called MISINFORMATION and brought into the world to ask supporters to come and help them out.

The nations says this:

A protester leader dismissed a report by manager online that police fired at protesters.

I don't see a dismissal of the report. Can you post a link?

I hope nobody gets hurt. Thaksin's brother in-law? Give me a freakin break. The PM really needs to just step down, since it really IS a proxy government in power.

it's not about a "proxy" government, why would this party listen to someone who is politically finished?

the phrase "proxy government" is the same phrase "...evidence of WMD in Iraq..."

This is about securing power for the friends of PAD for the rest of eternity, not about 1 man who is living in Exile with his thai assets frozen.

Why else would the PAD reject Gen Anupong's suggestion to disperse once the house is dissolved? they are not "Anti-government protesters", they are "PRO PAD protesters"

I hope all the PAD sympathizers who have been posting on here claiming their right to ‘non violent protest’ can see the images being shown on tv, the actions towards the police, the wooden stakes etc.

And the disturbing quote above? Says it all.

I hope this can all end peacfully but Sondhi seems more concerned with loss of face rather than loss of life.

Sondhi is defending his own property against potential attack.

Does anyone have a link to live bbc world news? I've only got CNN and it seems they can't remove themselves from Mumbai. The tragedy that that is, there are a lot of other stories in the world.

I'd be surprised if the BBC was any better. During the Tsunami, my hotel in Patong only got the BBC, and it was non-stop reporting on India. Barely any mention of Thailand, Indonesia, Sumatra, etc.

The bbc are reporting on the situation. :o

And the disturbing quote above? Says it all.

I hope this can all end peacfully but Sondhi seems more concerned with loss of face rather than loss of life.

So in your thinking AOT staff should have gunned down the PAD supporters when they took over the aiport?

BBC only reporting India

Like I said in previous post is amazing because usually by now they get the story all wrong, lets hope Jonanthan Head doesnt get ahead of himself sorry about the pun

Does anyone have a link to live bbc world news? I've only got CNN and it seems they can't remove themselves from Mumbai. The tragedy that that is, there are a lot of other stories in the world.

I'd be surprised if the BBC was any better. During the Tsunami, my hotel in Patong only got the BBC, and it was non-stop reporting on India. Barely any mention of Thailand, Indonesia, Sumatra, etc.

The bbc are reporting on the situation. :o

So in your thinking AOT staff should have gunned down the PAD supporters when they took over the aiport?

Yes , just as in any other normal country around the world . Imagine you doing this where-ever you come from and you want to in the main international airport together with a mob where the first row is going with sticks etc ... You do not do that or you will be arrested or shot .

Edited by sezze

I think we've seen a clear demonstration of just what the natonal police are and are not going to do. Regardless of which faction one favors, or the current government's legitimacy, this government simply isn't able to govern. Soon the world's eyes will turn to Thailand, and somelthing will have to happen. I think the game's actually already over - it's just a matter of the PM retiring his govt with as much face as possible. Not sure what could possibly happen to change this dynamic at this point. The national police could change it, but obviously they're not; the military could change it, but they're just as obviously not going to either. PAD has been gambling on that inaction (or possibly had, shall we say, a certain sense of things...), and it would seem the bet has paid off. It may be in fact, that had it not been for the Mumbai attacks, the PAD would have ALREADY prevailed in this contest.

'Not saying this is the preferred outcome; not saying it does or doesn't bode well for Thailand's future; not saying the people's interests are best served by it all. 'Just saying that's where I think this is headed in the short term.

Yes you are right there . But what to do ... that is the question . Imagine having new elections where i am very sure PPP wins again . so we go back on the street and fight ... and we do it over and over again ??? The way i see it is that there is no solution at all besides a civil war if both parties are not willing to talk to oneother . That is how the situation is at the moment ... and civil war is closer then you want it to be at the moment .

Off topic ... the PAD leaders say they want to get rid of the corrupt government ... not corruption itself .. because they are in fact just the same . Do not even think 1 sec that this country will change if PAD takes over the country . This country is based on corruption on every single bone of it due to the fact that money in Thailand is nr1 and if you have money people are happy to give you more . Like 1 Thai woman said to me ... 1st you need money ( that is M ) after you get power ( that is P ) if you have PM you get more PM and MP .

I don't think so (the bit about civil war). The notion of northern Thais taking up arms against southern Thais just isn't going to happen. Lawlessness; corruption; economic impasse and confusion - yes. Long-term damage to the nation's world image and credibility; loss of world-standing - quite likely. Coup and counter-coup - probably. But civil war? Nope - 'don't think so.

I see visions of Thaksin dancing to "Viva La Vida". I think his game is over. How could anyone think that opponents of Thaksin could digest the appointment of his brother in law? Who could not see this coming?

As per urban vs. rural this has existed virtually everywhere I have seen elected governments. I'm not saying that Isaan and the north do not deserve better representation but at what price - vote buying?

Obviously the PAD have very strong convictions. We can debate endlessly on their true motivations but when it comes to standing in the face of fire I believe they really want Thaksin out. In a strange way this is about standing up to the perceived abuse of the elite and whether or not Thaksin admits it he has become the poster boy for the corrupt aristocrat operating above the law.

Interestingly, if this had taken place in virtually any "democratic" country the protesters would have been shot dead at the gates and labeled terrorists as business is business. This speaks volumes for the hearts and minds of the Thai people.

Somchai must accept the inevitable before violence errupts. The PPP should then demand the extradition and arrest of Thaksin and call an election.

I think you have violated the forum rules - you expressed an opinion other than black or white. Or red and yellow, as it were. :o

I also think this is a blatant power grab by Taksin and if he were to succeed this country will go down the drain in a hurry. Taksin would implement a quasi-dictatorhip like in Russia. At the same time he can't succeed as the Thai people won't stand for it. Whether the PAD has sinister motives beyond preventing said power grab is unclear - also, the means by which the PAD operates and the solutions it proposes are questionable at best. One is reminded of the hapless Surayud administration - I'd expect more of the same if the PAD succeeds. It's bad vs bad.

In a democratic country the prime minister would have long stepped down and called new elections. Long before the PAD got to the airport. He did not because that's not what it is all about. It's about exonerating Thaksin, get him back, get his money back, secure the legal status of the PPP, and after all that, continue where they left off - take over the army, weaken other institutions, and do whatever the f they want... people need to understand that democracy is not what's happening here.

it's not about a "proxy" government, why would this party listen to someone who is politically finished?

the phrase "proxy government" is the same phrase "...evidence of WMD in Iraq..."

This is about securing power for the friends of PAD for the rest of eternity, not about 1 man who is living in Exile with his thai assets frozen.

Why else would the PAD reject Gen Anupong's suggestion to disperse once the house is dissolved? they are not "Anti-government protesters", they are "PRO PAD protesters"

Suggest you read through some of the other info on here such as this from yesterday:

Govt to enlist help from Thaksin if coups staged

The government will enlist help from former prime minister Thasksin Shinawatra if a coup is staged against the administration, government Spokesman Natthawut Saikua said Friday.

He said thaksin would make phone calls to direct the resistance against the coup on around-the-clock basis.

"If a coup is staged, thaksin will fight against it along side with Thais. He can make phone calls to us 24 hours a day," Natthawut said.

The nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30089700

Your reply is a bit at odds with my question.

Directly, so you support the idea of PAD supporters shooting at the police?

Generally NO, however, looking at the pictures of the execution of the father of the pro PAD legislator by a group of red shirt people in Chang Mai and clearly the police just observed and did not intervene, are they police when they are that corrupt. What is the legal reason for seizing ASTV, if it was to enforce some legal order given by a court, then NO again, however, if the orders come from Thaskin or one of his surigates, then the police have no legal protection, and shhot I would.

Do you agree with the sentimnets they should be "willing to die'?

I believe the PAD perceive themselves to be the PATRIOTS of Thailand. Most Patriots are will to shed their blood for the good of the country.

ASTV is private property. So is the airport. So if you do think the PAD are justified in using guns to defend their property I guess you suopport the authoities using bullets to defend the airport?

Your assumtion is incorrect. The airport is the property of the Government, hence the people, hence public property.

I hope I have clearly answered your questions.

Thought #1: Sondhi says they will shoot back at police. I think that clears it up if they're armed or not. This is an armed hostage taking of the airport. Will someone wake up?

Thought #2: 100,000 tourists who can't leave now. This may grow to 300,000 by Monday. Thailand, grow up. Do something.

The domestic terrorists that are occupying Government House and the two Bangkok airports are duping the PAD supporters by telling them that their collective action will improve the quality of life for all Thais. The terrorists are using women, children and the elderly as human shields to accomplish their limited agenda. The governments failure is huge however the terrorist actions by core PAD leaders is reprehensible. The leaders of PAD need to be removed from society, perhaps for decades, as punishment for despicable acts against humanity. There is no justification for endangering the public and crippling the economy.

The PAD supporters here on TV are unfortunate lap dogs of a domestic terrorist group. It's hard to believe so many seemingly intelligent people can totally be affected psychologically by the PAD propaganda machine. There is NO justification for what is happening now. If this wasn't such a serious situation many of us could have a good laugh at people drawing romantic parallels to revolutions past. We all should feel sorry for every victim now and for those who will fall during the impending violence.

I don't think AOT staff own the airport.

Maybe not, but if they were security guards, they had a duty to protect the airport.

Anyway, the 2 locations cannot be compared. One was neutral and apolitical and the other is political.

In respect to the television station, it is being used to foment civil unrest, to encourage rioting and lawbreaking. Sondhi has as much right to defend the station as any other person preaching violence does when the police come to that person's home to stop the hate speech.

I don't think so (the bit about civil war). The notion of northern Thais taking up arms against southern Thais just isn't going to happen. Lawlessness; corruption; economic impasse and confusion - yes. Long-term damage to the nation's world image and credibility; loss of world-standing - quite likely. Coup and counter-coup - probably. But civil war? Nope - 'don't think so.

The basic factors are allthere . Remember that is is going on and on for a lot longer that most people remember ( Thai politics had so many coups that they are allready countless ) . The differences are growing bigger each single moment as we speak and the people supporting them are also getting more and more determinent . This is why we do not have a military coup at the moment because it isn't the solution . They do not have any solution whatsoever . In some areas you allready have a risk of being killed just by wearing the wrong color . imagine that the yellow people are so determined that they actually fight till death , the reds are not going to give up also , espescially because they know they are with more people . Civil war is counting all factors together much closer then you think .

I think it would be wise to not consider ASTV a 'news source', for posts here or otherwise.

Also the 'live feed' shows what their spin doctors want you to see.

Stick with the BBC.

Yeah, BBC has a long history of being fair and balanced and never spin anything... :o

Whatever source you pick, always be critical.