BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
khaowong1

Buddhism And The Current Problems At The International Airport

all these things which you seem to favour....Buddhahood, the Lotus sutra etc...are mahayana, so your interpretations of the Scriptures may be different to ours..

Yes, and specifically a Nichiren interpretation of Mahayana, where chanting the Japanese title of the Lotus Sutra is the way forward.

But we're a bit off the topic of Buddhism and the airport. :D

But don't Tibetan Buddhists chant very similar mantra, but in Sanskrit rather than ancient Chinese ? Although Nam-myoho-renge-kyo ("I devote myself to the wonderful Law of the Lotus" **) might have a more complex meaning than Aum Mani Padme Hum both, nevertheless, have the same function.

However, it's a pity to my mind that the yellow shirted "protesters" at the airport obviously weren't amongst those of the, at very least, 500,000 other khon Thai whose lives are being transformed by chanting the daimoku of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

:o

** When deconstructed, each of the five syllables of the essential phrase have far more profound meanings.

Reading all this has reminded me what I found so attractive about zen buddhism when I was a lot younger. :o

Reading all this has reminded me what I found so attractive about zen buddhism when I was a lot younger. :o

I too used to carry a copy of Zen Flesh, Zen Bones around with me back in the 60's almost as if it were a bible. It was my first introduction to Buddhism. :D

Reading all this has reminded me what I found so attractive about zen buddhism when I was a lot younger. :D

I too used to carry a copy of Zen Flesh, Zen Bones around with me back in the 60's almost as if it were a bible. It was my first introduction to Buddhism. :D

Excellent book. After I read it I chucked all my Docter Suzuki, Christmas Humphreys etc out the window. Haven't looked at it in a while but the stories are all fresh in my memory. No theory but straight for the something or other in an oblique kind of way. Blink and you missed it.......sort of :o

On 11/30/2008 at 12:53 AM, khaowong1 said:

The abbot kind of laughed at him and suggested to him that he might ordain instead and ... quit worring about what's happening in the secular world, as the abbot put it, nothing is permanent, all things cease in the end.

Very neat explanation of "Buddhist mind".  Thank you, @khaowong1

On 12/2/2008 at 1:38 PM, chutai said:

Then, leaving aside the historic formulation of Arahant or Boddhisattva if it comes to that. If all beings don't have an innate Buddha nature and we cannot ourselves attain Buddhahood, then what are we left with ? I'm sorry but this form of deitising Buddhism as something unatainable and as being outside of ourselves contradicts all Dharma.

Quite right, and such notions only underscore the limitations of the Hinayana.

Continuing a thread from 2008?

If someone can give me a really good reason to re-open I will, but until then thread closed.