Teak Furniture

scottie

Hi again all,

At the moment I'm building a small resort Mae Taeng area.

So far everything has gone smooth....amazing since I'm 6,000miles away in UK.

Now I'm coming over end of the month & will be staying a few days in my building site, with one of the rooms completed.

Therefore need to sort out furniture before I arrive.

I've been quoted 35,000bt for king size bed,2 bed side cabinets, a closet & a coffee table- made from teak.

What do you think??? sound reasonable? Not sure if this includes a matress,I suspect not.

Bearing in my mind I'll be buying quite a bit of furniture when I come out to do the rest of the rooms.

I don't mind if not in teak, so long as all good quality & well made.

Thanks for keeping me up to date with all CM news....Love it.

Scottie

Frankly, that's an impossible question to answer with any degree of accuracy...

There are many grades used in furniture construction. High quality teak is usualy clear of knots or of too-wavy grain, in my experience. The upper part of a teak tree is used, too, and this is where the knots are to be found, so this is the lowest grade...

Is it a vaneer? What is the thickness- and color?

Construction quality? Varies enourmously here.

Good quality nothing-really-fancy beds of that size I've seen for an average of 12-20,000 baht retail, in Hang Dong.. No mattress.

Sorry I can't be more helpfull. I'm cetainly no expert on teak, but I love the stuff, too :D

What's so amazing 'bout that? Out of sight, Out of mind, ya' know... :o

There are many grades used in furniture construction. High quality teak is usualy clear of knots or of too-wavy grain, in my experience. The upper part of a teak tree is used, too, and this is where the knots are to be found, so this is the lowest grade...

Good quality nothing-really-fancy beds of that size I've seen for an average of 12-20,000 baht retail, in Hang Dong.. No mattress.

Sorry I can't be more helpfull. I'm cetainly no expert on teak, but I love the stuff, too  :D

I think what Ajarn has told you is spot on. Personally i wouldn't buy any furniture without seeing it first, as it could be all a low grade thin veneer.

If you shop around with a native Thai speaker, then the price difference can be amazing.

Sorry I can't be more helpfull. I'm cetainly no expert on teak, but I love the stuff, too  :D

I think what Ajarn has told you is spot on. Personally i wouldn't buy any furniture without seeing it first, as it could be all a low grade thin veneer.

If you shop around with a native Thai speaker, then the price difference can be amazing.

If you send a Northern Thai you trust to do the price negotiations alone, you will find that the price may drop even further...

Thanks for replies.

I know difficult to pass comment when info so sketchy.

Ajarn, the figure you gave for a bed was helpful, in that it gives me some sort of idea.

Our Thai friend who has done a GREAT job taking care of construction told me the price. Knowing her I know it would be of good quality. I just wanted to confirm with you guys that the price was reasonable...& your replies seem to point that it is.

Unfortunately we have to sort out before we arrive.....or nothing to sleep on :wacko

Oh will check out Pie place on way to Chiang Rai, as we're taking a drive up there.

Thanks

Scottie

the mattress buy yourself, as there are too many coconut ones which only last 6 months, 1000baht up for coconut and 5,000baht up for sprung.

Are you referring to the coconut bed cushions that come in 3 pieces? Mine have lasted through many years of a fat guy lying on top of them.... Much longer than my 10,000 baht fancy spring mattress. If fact, I just replaced the spring bed with the coconut bed cushions... 1,800 baht at wowarot market.

Hi again all,

At the moment I'm building a small resort Mae Taeng area.

Now I'm coming over end of the month & will be staying a few days in my building site, with one of the rooms completed.

Therefore need to sort out furniture before I arrive.

I've been quoted 35,000bt for king size bed,2 bed side cabinets, a closet & a coffee table- made from teak.

What do you think??? sound reasonable? Not sure if this includes a matress,I suspect not.

Bearing in my mind I'll be buying quite a bit of furniture when I come out to do the rest of the rooms.

I don't mind if not in teak, so long as all good quality & well made.

Thanks for keeping me up to date with all CM news....Love it.

Scottie

If you have the time to drive to MaiSot you will enjoy the shopping there and the furniture. I have been there and saved about 80,000 and spent 40,000 And I do know my prices. If you need any other information let me know

Bill

Many thanks everyone for taking the time to help/advise.

I'll be over in just over a weeks time :o will bear in mind what you've said & look into possible options.

& will ask you again if needed once in CM. I'm fine helping people on a Thai travel forum...but a newbie when it comes to day to day living in Thailand.

Scottie