Invest In Thailand?

I was curious in the members thoughts regarding the recent troubles here in addition to the global financial mess. As tourism takes a huge hit and I see some long term retirees thinking of leaving, is this a buying opportunity in a house or condo? The Baht is weakening as well. Good value time or is this finally the end of Thailand as a retirement and tourism destination? I hear from others every possible outcome. My sense is Thailand will recover at some point but not right away. They need something that looks like a stable government with law and order. Myself, I was always a happy renter as "ownership" of property here made me nervous. But if some great bargins pop up, I might be tempted. What do you think?

I am already invested but I don't think there is a hurry to invest in the current environment. Wait and see how things shake out and see if there really is a hope for a more stable government. Some kind of change is going to happen soon, but it might just be a stopgap breathing room type change like a coup. Yes, prices will fall. If the political picture starts to brighten its not as if prices will pop up overnight.

I was curious in the members thoughts regarding the recent troubles here in addition to the global financial mess. As tourism takes a huge hit and I see some long term retirees thinking of leaving, is this a buying opportunity in a house or condo? The Baht is weakening as well. Good value time or is this finally the end of Thailand as a retirement and tourism destination? I hear from others every possible outcome. My sense is Thailand will recover at some point but not right away. They need something that looks like a stable government with law and order. Myself, I was always a happy renter as "ownership" of property here made me nervous. But if some great bargins pop up, I might be tempted. What do you think?

It's not just the things you mentioned that I think have made people totally fed up it's also the attitude

of the Thai's to their grossly over complex and onerous immigration laws. Things like needing to employ

4 Thai employees to get a work permit, only being able to own 49 percent, for retirees having to deposit

800,000 when the average Thai lives on 15 to 20,000 per month? They're all such farcical and unnecessary rules

they still get called " farang " when people talking and they don't think you understand.

You don't encounter this in places like Cambodia or Vietnam and there are other interesting

and developing countries that offer new opportunities and it doesn't have to be in this region.

I went to Cuba last year and I think that will offer some very interesting opportunities in

the future. Yes I think many people started to realize enough is enough

Edited by midas

Personally never thought much of Thailand as a country to invest in during the "good times" even less so now, would think its going to get a lot worse before it gets any better...ok so at present I own a house here, but wasnt really bought as an investment per se, I live here, work here and the price was right so I bought it, but would never consider putting any significant amounts of cash into Thailand.

Re Cambodia & Vietnam, these countries could become the flavour of the month as regards investment, and as has been pointed out, both countries appear more farang friendly as opposed to Thailand.

Think over the next few years think you will find Vietnam and Cambodia growing at a rapid rate, while Thailand gets left behind and they will be wondering why..?

Edited by Soutpeel

I was thinking about investing here but after rethinking it and considering the thoughts posted here I am not doing it nor recommending it to anyone I know. it's kind of lock a stock that has sold off, compared to former highs it may look cheap but it dropped for a reason. Even if prices rebound the headache of the visa laws and the unhelpful attitude of most Thai's in control of paperwork makes it not worthwhile. I do think the Baht should return to 50:1 as a vote of no confidence in this country and our reward for putting up with it.

Well the SET will sink back to 380 and probably lower today. Thailand has had an amazing ability to bounce back from negative situations over the years. However, can't help agreeing with earlier posts that this time it might be different. Anyone else out there remember the good times of over 4-5 years ago? Thailand could always sort itself out. Thailand always had a built-in "feel good" factor for many expats and tourists. I am not so sure this will be remembered as easily this time. Agree that Thailand's Asian relatives are licking their lips in anticipation of an influx or reasonably cashed-up expats from it's previously dominant neighbour.

www.thailandjunkie.blogspot.com