Good Rice Harvest Or Bad......

Thaicoon

Guy's it all depends how big, the bag/sack is and how many rai, it also varies a lot depending where you live, the only way to have a realistic idea is to ask other locals what they got and compare it, you cant compare yield's from say, SupanBuri with Chaing Mai or Udon. What happened to Dugdig, he was into his rice?

Cheers RC

The 200 sacks i got was just my share, 85kilo a sack so pretty good for not doing anything, the rest went to my wifes family and we work on a 70 - 30 basis, so going to watch the rice prices when it goes up time to sell, thanks guys.................

I saw about 50 bags to a rai where I live in Buriram. Is that good?

Hi Lourens,

That does not sound right to me 50 bags per rai, ?, what size bags, My wife and i have about 70 rai of land, with 80% rice and also in Buriram, check it out again i would love to know, cheers mate..................

That was what I counted three weeks ago but my estimation might have been over optimistic. The bags I've seen is about 3 feet high and I'd say about 4 feet in diameter. Now I don't know how many kilos in a bag like that but they were harvesting a good 5 - 6 bags per paddy. Maybe three paddies would cover a rai and that would give 15 - 18 bags. But let me ask the locals and find out for sure.

I'm told very good in Sisaket - will be there at the weekend to check it out

My wife is from Ban Nong Kheang, 15 min drive from Srisaket ( dir: Ubon R)

They made 170 bags out of 20 rai and Bon Bon Maak, the chilli wasn't good eighter.

The got 0.07 B perkilo rice, and 0.16 for chilli, are these OK?

That sounds about right, about 8 or 9 bags to one rai, i always wait untill the rice reaches the highest price, then sell, it normally goes high just before replanting, as soon as the thais harvest they sell, and most of them do not think about replanting the coming year.

Dear Friends

I am a photographer from the USA and have been photographing Thai rice farming for a childrens book.

I was near Surin in OCT/ NOV at harvest time and wil return soon again. In late January will new rice plants be in the fields of Isaan? I will need to follow all stages of production and the work of the farmers... I hope to meet you all. You can reply to me at

[email protected]

Thanks

Richard

That sounds about right, about 8 or 9 bags to one rai, i always wait untill the rice reaches the highest price, then sell, it normally goes high just before replanting, as soon as the thais harvest they sell, and most of them do not think about replanting the coming year.

Helped with the harvest for the first time this year.I noticed in all cases that a small special stack was made with the best of the crop and this was run through the machine into a marked sack for replanting.

Seemed a standard thing that was being done by all he farmers.As for harvesting levels I was told this year was down about 15% on last year

Helped with the harvest for the first time this year.I noticed in all cases that a small special stack was made with the best of the crop and this was run through the machine into a marked sack for replanting.

Seemed a standard thing that was being done by all he farmers.As for harvesting levels I was told this year was down about 15% on last year

Last year in Buriram, it was not a very good harvest, this year was a lot better, and hopefully 2005 will be better still.

• 4 weeks later...
Rice yields here this year were pathetic with i would say about an average of 10 per cent comparative yields.Just no rain for last months of so called rainy season.

Hi there, where in issan are you based, as where i have land just outside Buriram we had quite a good harvest, a lot better than 2003, lets hope this year is even better.

Nong Bua area - I'll need to check with the wife about number of bags, but the impression I got was that the harvest this year was a little bit better than last. I'm not sure how much of that is due to an additional 8 rai we bought to the 17 rai we already had. My wife said other farmers did not do as well, as it was a relatively dry growing season, this past year (2004/2547). We were not impacted by the dry conditions as much as others due to lower elevation and pre-existing pools. :o

Okay, got Thip on the phone with Khun May and Khun May says we brought in 300 bags (from 25 rai outside of Nong Bua). Not all the 25 rai are under cultivation. I'd guess probably 20 rai is rice land... Khun Paw is a veteran Issan rice farmer. He had rice planted before anyone due to pumpable water. Most other farmers had to wait for the rains. Also, during the dry spells, the pump came in handy... I asked my wife: "300 bags? Exactly 300 bags?" Thip said she had asked the same thing of her mother who must be rounding out, + or - ... :o

Sounds good, my thai family got about 680 85 kilo sacks, and me 200 my share, which was good, me also have 2 lakes to pump water, so drout does not effect us much the one lake is about a rai, and it never gets dry go's to the water table and stays there, then in the rainy season full to the brim, that rice came of our land about 70 rai, lets hope its good for 2005...................

• 2 weeks later...

Two other things and please pardon my density:

-- What is the standard weight of a bag of rice?

-- How much does a bag sell for?

About the second question, I understand the value of the rice is greater for individual family use and barter than it is to generate income, but I would like to have a bench mark for my own understanding. Thanks! :o