30-days Border Runs Now Only 15 Days

It is amazing , the other countries in SEAsia are working on a system For NO VISA REQUIRED FOR PEOPLE IN ASEAN , for some years there has been no visa on arrival by plane or road for Cambodians , they have had to obtain a visa at the embassy in Pnom Penh , most people can get buisness visa on arival and extend for one year AT THE LOCAL TRAVEL AGENT , i wonder why so many people have been coming to Cambodia recently and why i feel many more will follow suit ?

For all you HISO posters , why do you have to put your boot into people when it is absolutely none of you concern as to why people are in Thailand and whether they have visas or work permits or whatever your problem is that is making your ass itch so much you have a problem sitting down . YOU ARE ONLY GUESTS IN THIS COUNTRY THE SAME AS THEM , so quit your constant lambasting people you do not know or have no idea of their situation .You are not the government and have absolutely no say on who does what at any given time . How many pages of your drivel ?

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, you know, the visa rules in my home country and here in Britian, where I live now, are far more demanding then Thailand's rules.

In Australia, forget just arriving on a plane.

In the UK, unless your from the EU, which makes you a conditional citizen of the UK, you must get a visa. Getting these visas is no simple matter - some of the Thai people I know here have to prove, in part by paying for expensive language courses, that they are here for legitimate purposes.

I'm not sure about the US, but I do know they've tightened up lately.

It saddens and surprises me that I regularly hear from some disgruntled Australian's, Briton's and American's that the Thai's are 'so bad' to us.

It is problematic that the visa laws do cause such inconvenience, but we 'can' get into Thailand, all of us!

Many Thai's cannot get into my country at all, not for any reason.

How welcoming is your country to Thai's?

Are you really benefiting Thailand by being there, as some suggest, or are you self-seeking benefits, but using the 'I'm benefiting Thailand' cliche in misrepresented, but, self-serving cliches?

etr

I am an American that crossed from France to the UK. I get 6 months automatically. I didn't aply for any visa nor am I a resident of the EU. You may have other points but your argument about the UK border policy just isn't true

The argument is true ...

You entered into the EU via France .... once in the EU you can travel anywhere in the EU (shengen visa) ... if you entered to the UK first you would have to present your visa and from there you may go anywhere in the shengen zone.

When you enter the Shengen zone from the UK, you need a Shengen Visa because the UK is not a Shengen country.

If you, as a citizen of a Shengen country enter the UK you just have to present your ID card and fill in a visiters card thats all. Only the Dutch have to present a Passport because they don't have an ID card.

The overall length of stay is around 9 days. But what the TAT never shares with us is the actual distribution of that data. What must be suspected is that if the average is 9 days, this actually represents something like 19 true tourists staying 8 days each and 1 pseudo-tourist staying 30 days. It's that final 5% that Thailand has apparently decided it can live without. And they are justified in doing so as the tourism-oriented visa waiver stamp was never intended as a means to enable semi-permanent residence in the Kingdom.

Well the max 3x30 days visa-exempt in 180 days period was meant to stop the semi-permanent-residencers-without-valid-visa to stay here. Maybe you can explain why this rule does not work out.

Be honest, if you are on a multiple month Asia tour your best solution is to add a visit to the Thai consulate of your country together with Vietnam, China and whatever visa requiring country you plan to visit. There goes flexibility.

If you think it does not affect tourism you are wrong: I visited Laos and Vietnam ONCE, I will not return, not worth the visa hassle (for Vietnam 62 euros, two embassy visits and one week without passport) I do live 120kms from Vientiane, can't bother to pay 1300B to jump their border (and I don't need to do visa exempt runs :D )

Just realise that in Europe you can travel freely in most of the EC states but you must go through a lot of hassle and know all the requirements to visit several Asian countries :o

The whole notion of visa control on where people can and cannot live is archaic - allowing the world's population free movement wherever they wish is the only way to slowly share the wealth of the world more evenly. At the moment it is all about money and has nothing to do with peoples rights - if you are comparatively rich enough you can go to a poorer country and live like a king - if you are poor, then you are stuck where you are! Of course while people still believe that "nationality" is a good thing then each country will selfishly continue to cherry pick who they share their wealth with.

Your comment is very naive. If there where no Visa control in Europe about 80 % of the population of Africa and Asia will move to Europe; Not any society can blend in so much people, and than we not yet talk about the total collapse of our social security system

Just asking you. Why a country should give a Visa extension to this people, who can not pass the 800 000 baht rule.

I always wondered what people who are not married, not working or don't have an sufficient income from abroad to meet the Visa applications are doing in Thailand.

And how they spend their live. Where they get the money to to eat, drink and sleep.

Receiving a Visa is a privilege giving by their hosts, it can never be extorted. Their can be only one exception, is a permanent Visa given for family reunion because this is an human right. And even in the EU they are implementing new very strict rules for it, like learning the language (even before entering the country), sufficient means, following acclimatize courses and so on.

So except the new rules or just leave, if you not agreed with them.

---------

OK, I COULD meet the ThB 800,000 rule, I could meet a ThB 8 million rule, if they chose to raise the amount ... BUT, even if I can open a bank account in Thailand, what happens to this money? The best you can do is invest in some crummy time deposit, earning 1% interest, or something like that - otherwise, it just sits there and you're not allowed to touch it. Instead I keep all my money in Singapore where it earns 5+% (even now), tax-free, and I have no legal right of abode in S'pore.

What I want to know is how all these people who are married to Thais get their visa extensions? I'm married to a Thai, have been married 18+ years. As far as I am aware, the only possibility to get an extension in the region is to go to KL and pray you get a nice consular officer. Otherwise you're faced with returning to your home country every year to re-apply which, in my case is a heck of a long way.

Oh ... and how do I work? I do consulting in Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Laos ... just about anywhere except Thailand because, even though I'm married to a Thai I'm not allowed to work here. Permanent visa for family reunion??? What a laugh! So yes, as the rules become ever more problematic, I accept that at some point I will have to leave my family here, live somewhere else, and visit just a couple of times a year.

OK, I'm one of those riff-raff that they want to get rid of.

I married a Thai lady 18+ years ago. By virtue of that marriage, she was immediately entitled to live in my home country permanently, and work there; own property, vote, etc. Three years ago we decided to move to Thailand because all of my work was in SE Asia, and it was impractical to keep travelling half way around the world. I was entitled to get an 'O' visa for one year, I am not allowed to work in Thailand and I am not allowed to have a bank account, let alone own property. I have to leave the country to renew my visa every year. The problem is that Thai consulates in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Singapore will not issue mutliple entry 'O' visas. Kuala Lumpur might issue the mutliple entry 'O' visa, but I have to take the risk to go there and hope to meet a sympathetic consular employee.

OK, I have a PhD and earn $150k-$200k per year, but to Thailand I am riff-raff. So what am I supposed to do? I have three choices: 1. Take a risk on Malaysia; 2. Spend ThB80,000+ to go back to my home country every year to apply for a new visa (not counting the cost of accomodation while on the trip); or 3. Leave my wife and two children, who are all Thai citizens, and go live somewhere else.

I have a visa due to marriage to a Thai and I am allowed to work, have a bank account and I never have to leave the country to renew. I would have thought it should be possible for you to do the same.

OK, I'm one of those riff-raff that they want to get rid of.

I married a Thai lady 18+ years ago. By virtue of that marriage, she was immediately entitled to live in my home country permanently, and work there; own property, vote, etc. Three years ago we decided to move to Thailand because all of my work was in SE Asia, and it was impractical to keep travelling half way around the world. I was entitled to get an 'O' visa for one year, I am not allowed to work in Thailand and I am not allowed to have a bank account, let alone own property. I have to leave the country to renew my visa every year. The problem is that Thai consulates in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Singapore will not issue mutliple entry 'O' visas. Kuala Lumpur might issue the mutliple entry 'O' visa, but I have to take the risk to go there and hope to meet a sympathetic consular employee.

OK, I have a PhD and earn $150k-$200k per year, but to Thailand I am riff-raff. So what am I supposed to do? I have three choices: 1. Take a risk on Malaysia; 2. Spend ThB80,000+ to go back to my home country every year to apply for a new visa (not counting the cost of accomodation while on the trip); or 3. Leave my wife and two children, who are all Thai citizens, and go live somewhere else.

I have a visa due to marriage to a Thai and I am allowed to work, have a bank account and I never have to leave the country to renew. I would have thought it should be possible for you to do the same.

Me too. So how do you do it? You have an 'O' visa?

There is a pool of people (under 50) from western countries who have a pile of money to spend but are going to wait out the global economic downturn by traveling for a few years. Thailand just became even more unattractive to them. Thailand is acting like a prima donna when it would be more rational to be laying out a red carpet.

Those with piles of money to spend would be able to fly into Thailand and therefore they wouldn't be affected as they would still get 30 days. If I understand correctly, it only affects those coming into Thailand by land.

There is a pool of people (under 50) from western countries who have a pile of money to spend but are going to wait out the global economic downturn by traveling for a few years. Thailand just became even more unattractive to them. Thailand is acting like a prima donna when it would be more rational to be laying out a red carpet.

Those with piles of money to spend would be able to fly into Thailand and therefore they wouldn't be affected as they would still get 30 days. If I understand correctly, it only affects those coming into Thailand by land.

In the three yeas I have been living here, the following changes have been introduced (maybe more, but these are the ones I know about): 1. Foreigners are no longer allowed to open a bank account unless they have a work permit (yes, you can go on your knees to your embassy and plead for a special letter). 2. Those entering as a visa-free tourist are only allowed 90 days' stay in every 6 months. 3. Those entering by land borders are only allowed 15-day visa-free stays.

So, yes, if you fly in you can still get 30 days, but it's perfectly clear what the trends are. Where will we be in 3 more years? I can't see me being in Thailand. Presumably the three Thai citizens in my family will still be allowed to stay, although one of them was born overseas, so ... ???

Don't think so. I just got a stamp in my passport that I have permission to stay until a certain date (about 12 months). When that time is up they just restamp it initially for one month (while they consider it) and then for 11 months (when they approve it). I have been doing that for the last 8 years and most of my married friends do the same.

Hello all

The 30 day rule for countries not bordering thai, and the new 15 day rule for neighbouring countries is fine for true tourists. If your wanting to stay longer get the required visa before arriving there, and again I feel these should only be issued from the travellers own country.

It would make the whole thing simpler if the thai government said your only allowed 1 30 day stamp in your passport per 12 month period as most true tourists only travel once per year.

Lot of fuss for no reason, people know the rules and try to find ways to get around them

I spend 1 to 2 weeks in Thailand every 7 weeks, I never obtain a visa. I live and work in Australia, I spend my money in Thailand. If I had to obtain visas every single time I can tell you I wouldnt be going this often. Your statement in bold is ridiculous.

Oh, you know, the visa rules in my home country and here in Britian, where I live now, are far more demanding then Thailand's rules.

In Australia, forget just arriving on a plane.

In the UK, unless your from the EU, which makes you a conditional citizen of the UK, you must get a visa. Getting these visas is no simple matter - some of the Thai people I know here have to prove, in part by paying for expensive language courses, that they are here for legitimate purposes.

I'm not sure about the US, but I do know they've tightened up lately.

It saddens and surprises me that I regularly hear from some disgruntled Australian's, Briton's and American's that the Thai's are 'so bad' to us.

It is problematic that the visa laws do cause such inconvenience, but we 'can' get into Thailand, all of us!

Many Thai's cannot get into my country at all, not for any reason.

How welcoming is your country to Thai's?

Are you really benefiting Thailand by being there, as some suggest, or are you self-seeking benefits, but using the 'I'm benefiting Thailand' cliche in misrepresented, but, self-serving cliches?

etr

I am an American that crossed from France to the UK. I get 6 months automatically. I didn't aply for any visa nor am I a resident of the EU. You may have other points but your argument about the UK border policy just isn't true

The argument is true ...

You entered into the EU via France .... once in the EU you can travel anywhere in the EU (shengen visa) ... if you entered to the UK first you would have to present your visa and from there you may go anywhere in the shengen zone.

I don't think so. The UK isn't part of the Schengen scheme. I think the OP gained access to the UK based on the fact that he's a US citizen who don't normally need visas to visit the UK as tourists.

As an American you don't need a Schengen Visa, but you are not allowed to stay longer than 90 during a 6 months period

http://www.diplobel.us/TravelingBelgium/visas/visitors.asp

But if you overstay the period of 90 day's you will be denied entrance in the Schengen zone on your next arrival. Your overstay will be marked in the EU central immigration data bank. So even get a new issued passport is useless. many people think that because there is no overstay fine they will not mark it. They are wrong, as many people find out already

I think that Thailand wants to get rid of what it sees as the riff raff falangs. Those who cannot be bothered or just cannot get the right visa. If you have a legitimate visa there is no problem in staying here.

Well said Sir!

This is a particular beef with me the "border runners" working here illegally.

Working here illegally lowers the pay rate for those of us who are legal. It is not a big deal to get a visa and a work permit if you have the proper qualifications as I'm sure most of our home countries would also require for employment. I agree its about time!

Not everyone with piles of money wants to spend the time figuring out all the ins and outs of a country that is becoming less friendly to tourists. There are much easier bases for these kinds of long term tourists. It wouldn't be a problem for me as I know the rules, but consider someone new to the region. I sincerely think they will be chasing away some easy money here.

Don't think so. I just got a stamp in my passport that I have permission to stay until a certain date (about 12 months). When that time is up they just restamp it initially for one month (while they consider it) and then for 11 months (when they approve it). I have been doing that for the last 8 years and most of my married friends do the same.

But you must have some visa, surely? Just a stamp in your passport? Are you a special friend of Thaksin :o? Seriously, ... tell me more!

Edited by exalll

But you must have some visa, surely? Just a stamp in your passport? Are you a special friend of Thaksin :o? Seriously, ... tell me more!

Not sure what it is to be honest as it doesn't say non-immigration O or B etc. It's just a stamp in the passport. Nothing special as pretty much all my married friends have the same thing. I think all I had to provide was my marriage certificate and proof of either 40,000 baht income or 400,000 baht in the bank, presumably to show that I could afford to support myself while here.

Where are you based? If in Phuket, PM me and I can put you in touch with the person that takes care of all my visa stuff.

Edited by Lite Beer

Not sure what it is to be honest as it doesn't say non-immigration O or B etc. It's just a stamp in the passport. Nothing special as pretty much all my married friends have the same thing. Where are you based? If in Phuket, PM me and I can put you in touch with the person that takes care of all my visa stuff.

12 month extension based on marriage.

I think that Thailand wants to get rid of what it sees as the riff raff falangs. Those who cannot be bothered or just cannot get the right visa. If you have a legitimate visa there is no problem in staying here.

well said.

At last thailand is getting rid of the undesirables this can only be a good thing and about time too.

Not sure what it is to be honest as it doesn't say non-immigration O or B etc. It's just a stamp in the passport. Nothing special as pretty much all my married friends have the same thing. Where are you based? If in Phuket, PM me and I can put you in touch with the person that takes care of all my visa stuff.

Thanks for that. I never knew what it was called. Maybe Exall's best bet would be to contact Sunbelt Asia. I'm sure they would be able to explain better than I could.

Edited by Colonel_Mustard

Once I knew I wanted to be here I changed to Non-Immigrant.

Not so easy.

Not everybody can get a Non-Imm, especially if you are not 50 yo, not married, not working... :o

Just asking you. Why a country should give a Visa extension to this people, who can not pass the 800 000 baht rule.

I always wondered what people who are not married, not working or don't have an sufficient income from abroad to meet the Visa applications are doing in Thailand.

And how they spend their live. Where they get the money to to eat, drink and sleep.

Receiving a Visa is a privilege giving by their hosts, it can never be extorted. Their can be only one exception, is a permanent Visa given for family reunion because this is an human right. And even in the EU they are implementing new very strict rules for it, like learning the language (even before entering the country), sufficient means, following acclimatize courses and so on.

So except the new rules or just leave, if you not agreed with them.

I dont drink, i think you are a little bit....jealous....many,,many,,,people have house, land and they rent..money every month.

Some people have share in stock market.....money every yrs.

Some people work in internet(like thaivisa) make money every day.

Some people have rich family( Mr TONY in Pattaya) make money every minute.

Some people have company in their country....make money

Some people are agent in their country and sell around the world...make money

But is not your business what they do and were they get money, important are not criminal, are not bad people, only they find the way for put theyr life as they like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You wonder??? Wonder about people in issan or buriram that they dont have money for go school and they dont know to write!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And then WHO ARE YOU?

You are married, you work, you dont drink and you dont go whit lady bar? Are you so perfect....Sir, never tried paid less tax? never do somethings wrong?

Egypt: 1 yrs visa 30 dollars

Kenya: 1yrs visa 100 dolars

Vietnam: you can see in january the big changes

Brasil: 6 month visa 90 dollars

....ecc want more?

You realy like to stay in Egypt or kenya?

I lived 5 yrs in kenia and 7 yrs in egypt.....

Sir You are married, you work, you dont drink and you dont go whit lady bar...so you come in thailand only for the sea the sun and the cultural things no?

So also Egypt is a good country for you....Red sea is the best...a lot of storical things there...so why you are here?

OPPPSSSSS Sharm el Seykh small city in the red sea have more expat and tourist ( per Sqm) than thailand....so live us criminal whitout money here and go were people like you like to go....

and 30 dollar visa for 1 yrs whitout go out one time.

And remember good guy go to haven...bad guy go to pattaya

bye perfect men

Edited by oceano

I know 30 day border runs are easy (though the bus drives are long). I used to do them myself before I got my marriage visa. But there are options for everybody that wants to live in Thailand, even if you're not married and not retired. Sure they take a bit more work than border runs, but in the end it's worth it.

Yes i agree the journeys are long and the days are short..but what are the options?

But you must have some visa, surely? Just a stamp in your passport? Are you a special friend of Thaksin :o ? Seriously, ... tell me more!

Thanks for that. I never knew what it was called. Maybe Exall's best bet would be to contact Sunbelt Asia. I'm sure they would be able to explain better than I could.

Sorry for the delay in replying ... just went out for a moobaan-organized walk in honour of H.M.'s birthday.

When we moved here from Canada, I got a non-immigrant 'O' visa, on the basis of being married to a Thai. I was told at the time that I would have to renew the visa every year, and would have to leave the country to do so. I did that this first year (taking advantage of a holiday in London) and the second year (taking advantage of a business trip to S'pore). This year I called the embassy in S'pore who told me they no longer issue multiple-entry 'O' visas (well, actually they told me that such visas no longer exist, only later did find out that they do, but the S'pore consulate can't be bothered to issue them any more). So, not knowing where to go, and not having any convenient trips to Europe or N. America set up, my visa expired. Since then I have been a "tourist".

So are you telling me that the original information I got in Canada was wrong? If so, I guess that now my visa has expired, I WILL have to go somewhere to renew it!

From the rough translation that was posted it appears that the 90 days in 6 months has been taken out.

If it is still there it would be take 6 entries to reach the max.

Extraordinarily stupid move! This will only hurt tourism and the economy more. Thailand's reputation as a tourist/expat friendly country is going down the drain. Hope that is civil enough for Thaivisa.

And, for the record, I do not have a visa problem, so this does not impact me personally.

Crack down on perpetual tourists..... name one country that will tolerate misfits that abuse immigration procedures.. Who needs them anyway.

Mexico, Belize, India, Philippines. Oh, sorry...that is four countries.

From the rough translation that was posted it appears that the 90 days in 6 months has been taken out.

If it is still there it would be take 6 entries to reach the max.

Extraordinarily stupid move! This will only hurt tourism and the economy more. Thailand's reputation as a tourist/expat friendly country is going down the drain. Hope that is civil enough for Thaivisa.

And, for the record, I do not have a visa problem, so this does not impact me personally.

Crack down on perpetual tourists..... name one country that will tolerate misfits that abuse immigration procedures.. Who needs them anyway.

Mexico, Belize, India, Philippines. Oh, sorry...that is four countries.

Kenya, Egypt, Israel(ok not the best country in the world), latvia, lituania, , polonia, brasil,...11

I am on a "retirement" visa so not affected. But it will affect visitors even at a very crucial time even if it is only the "riff raff" that are targeted.

The worrying aspect of this is yet again there has been an immediate change in visa regulations, it is now likely that we will see further changes which are likely to be foreigner unfriendly.

We have been trying to sell our house with a view to "if we have to can cut and run" the current situation has put a damper on that- who would want to buy here at the moment and for the foreseeable future?

Much as we love Thailand the continued uncertainties leave us little choice but to at least consider other options.

In the three yeas I have been living here, the following changes have been introduced (maybe more, but these are the ones I know about): 1. Foreigners are no longer allowed to open a bank account unless they have a work permit (yes, you can go on your knees to your embassy and plead for a special letter) I don't live in Thailand but I did open a cyber bankaccount with kasikorn no sweat took about 15 minutes. 2. Those entering as a visa-free tourist are only allowed 90 days' stay in every 6 months. 3. Those entering by land borders are only allowed 15-day visa-free stays.

So, yes, if you fly in you can still get 30 days, but it's perfectly clear what the trends are. Where will we be in 3 more years? I can't see me being in Thailand. Presumably the three Thai citizens in my family will still be allowed to stay, although one of them was born overseas, so ... ???