30-days Border Runs Now Only 15 Days

You gotta love the way all the moaning farangs complain to the bitter end about how their home countries have been taken over by immigrants and how they should be kicked out etc... But, when Thailand tries to protect itself against the same kind of thing, it's moan moan moan and how Thai people are stupid and shooting themselves in the foot etc...

:o:D

Just goes to show, these kind of regulations really are needed.

Nonsensical comparison.

What people complain about and I will use the UK as an example as I am from there, is people coming in and collecting benefits under the guise of being asylum seekers or some other such thing. Under EU law, they are required to claim such in the first European country they enter but all the other countries ship them to the UK (who should send them back to France, Spain, Italy etc.) because the UK is soft as shit on this and hands out cash willy nilly. Then you have the do gooder lawyers who get taxpayers cash to try and plead their case whilst they get pregnant and claim through child dependency. Utter nonsense.

At the same time, UK people are scrutinised if they want just a little assistance.

Then you have the situation of economic refugees who should all be turned away but are not.

After that you have economic migration from places like Poland who sent over a million to the UK just after they joined the EU. The UK government thought 60,000 would come !

Arranged marriages, then trying to bring half of their family over when they don't want anything other than to freeload on the state, have their own estates, mosques, culture and the like, never learning English even.

To compare that situation to Thailand is just plain daft. The fact that this will actually hurt tourists more than expats makes it stupid.

Please will someone or madjbs in particular tell me the last immigrant or expat in Thailand to claim benefits from the state ? to be given free accommodation, free food, free clothing, have state paid for lawyers arguing his case against deportation, etc. etc.

I won't hold my breath !

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lets see if I understand this correctly.

When farungs could do a visa run they would get a 30 day stamp back to back, month to month, year in year out.

This was propping up the local economy, visa run business, hotels, bars, food outlets and lots of interstructre related industries involved in supporting the farlung who was living here.

Then, no more back-to-back 30 day visas now only 3 within a 6-month period.

Result: lots of farungs simply took off and left for Cambodia or The Philippine, which has more generous visas rules which encouraged the farlung to live in their country. Result, lots of Visa run business either went out of business or scaled down. And all of the industries involved in supporting the farlung also noticed a drop in trade.

Then the high price of fuel forcing air fares to increase, plus the global financial crises results in a 30% + drop in tourism, then the yellow shirt the International and Domestic airports in BKK for over 1 week resulting in 300,000 + tourists stranded, costing the country millions and millions in lost revenue in all areas of the Thai economy.

The Government gives in to the yellow shirts, Thailands tourism reputation is shattered

Farungs arrive back home state that they will never ever return again.

And then it is announced that a border run over land will now only give you 15 days not 30.

It should be increased not decreased

I feel sorry for the Thai on the street that relies on farungs as a source of income.

Cheers

Gazman this is well written and is exactly what any rational thinking person would think about it.

I hope you will send a copy of this to bangkok post so the whole country can read about this joke.

I think it must have been planned out before survanaboom because the way its looking right now the tourist industry is going to be nearly bankrupt next year. And then let's also cut down backpakers who spend 1000 bhat per day to 14 days ? Ha Ha Ha! what a joke! too bad its not really funny its pathetic and sad.

Nobody is living here on 30 day border runs anyway since you can only do it three times.

This actually affects authentic travelers who are going to other countries as well.

India gives 10 year tourist visa to backpackers from usa no problem with backpackers there!

Seems to me if Thailand really wanted to end the border running fiasco they would do the 15 day rule and keep the 90 in 90 out rule. That would be much more effective and end the game for 95% of border runners. Game, set, match.

No not game, set, match

I look for a house verry close to te border and do 15 days stamp walking.

777 mentions a 90-day cumulative limit on 30-day stay permits but doesn't mention within what sort of time period. 778 says nothing about it.

777/2551 says nothing about visa-exempt stay. Clause 2.4 gives the impression that it does, but this is about extensions after entering with a tourist visa. The nationals of some countries get permission to stay for 60 days when entering with a tourist, of other countries only 30 days. This permission given on entry plus extension(s) must not exceed 90 days, i.e 60 on entry plus 30 extension, or 30 on entry plus 2x30 extensions.

The crucial point is whether 778/2551 repeals and supersedes 608/2549. I cannot read Thai but the third (unnumbered) paragraph of 778/2551 seem to make a reference to 608/2549 and quote text from paragraph 3 of 608/2549. What does it say there?

post-21260-1228460978_thumb.png

--

Maestro

Police_order_608_2006_visa_exempt_stay_limitation_TH.pdf

777 mentions a 90-day cumulative limit on 30-day stay permits but doesn't mention within what sort of time period. 778 says nothing about it.

777/2551 says nothing about visa-exempt stay. Clause 2.4 gives the impression that it does, but this is about extensions after entering with a tourist visa. The nationals of some countries get permission to stay for 60 days when entering with a tourist, of other countries only 30 days. This permission given on entry plus extension(s) must not exceed 90 days, i.e 60 on entry plus 30 extension, or 30 on entry plus 2x30 extensions.

The crucial point is whether 778/2551 repeals and supersedes 608/2549. I cannot read Thai but the third (unnumbered) paragraph of 778/2551 seem to make a reference to 608/2549 and quote text from paragraph 3 of 608/2549. What does it say there?

post-21260-1228460978_thumb.png

--

Maestro

My Wife tells me that paragraph 3 of 608/2549 is cancelled.

That settles it, then. It was paragraph 3 of 608/2549 that gave the limit of 90 visa-exempt days within six months. With this paragraph repealed, this limit no longer exists and immigration officers no longer have to count the days. I am glad for them.

--

Maestro

Police_order_608_2006_visa_exempt_stay_limitation_EN.pdf

The whole notion of visa control on where people can and cannot live is archaic - allowing the world's population free movement wherever they wish is the only way to slowly share the wealth of the world more evenly. At the moment it is all about money and has nothing to do with peoples rights - if you are comparatively rich enough you can go to a poorer country and live like a king - if you are poor, then you are stuck where you are! Of course while people still believe that "nationality" is a good thing then each country will selfishly continue to cherry pick who they share their wealth with.

Your comment is very naive. If there where no Visa control in Europe about 80 % of the population of Africa and Asia will move to Europe; Not any society can blend in so much people, and than we not yet talk about the total collapse of our social security system

Think why. Because most of wealth and money in european countries. You not think it strange? By the way do you seen movie Zeitgeist? (here many information about ways how usa/eu banks make money, just printing more and more. It also reason of current econonim crisiss). May be it open eyes what where from "1st" world economics get money from.

I do get a little fed up that some people have the idea that if you are on back to back tourist visas, you are doing something wrong. I keep hoping for a better visa option for me. Im 35 and have a private income (no, not a fortune, but over the retirement income requirement). I also would like to legally 'help out' at places when i have free time, but on my visa they dont want me doing that either. I dont contribute huge sums of money to the Thai economy, but I still want to live here, at least for now, and why not? I personally think the Thai Elite card is a crazy option. I would prefer to be legal, pay taxes etc, for a more suitable visa than a tourist visa.

I do get a little fed up that some people have the idea that if you are on back to back tourist visas, you are doing something wrong. I keep hoping for a better visa option for me. Im 35 and have a private income (no, not a fortune, but over the retirement income requirement). I also would like to legally 'help out' at places when i have free time, but on my visa they dont want me doing that either. I dont contribute huge sums of money to the Thai economy, but I still want to live here, at least for now, and why not? I personally think the Thai Elite card is a crazy option. I would prefer to be legal, pay taxes etc, for a more suitable visa than a tourist visa.

:o

I had crossed borders and aquired the 90 day entry on two occasions. .......... they would only give me 7 days leaving me to do another visa run, a 250km round trip the following week. Three weeks later I returned to UK. Thanks immigration!!

but the rules are that a 60 days tourist visa automatically gets a 30 day extension.

its the 30 day visa that only gets a 7 day extension.

you say you had a 90 day visa... (what kind of visa was this??????)

(the tourist visa is 60 days)

I do get a little fed up that some people have the idea that if you are on back to back tourist visas, you are doing something wrong. I keep hoping for a better visa option for me. Im 35 and have a private income (no, not a fortune, but over the retirement income requirement). I also would like to legally 'help out' at places when i have free time, but on my visa they dont want me doing that either. I dont contribute huge sums of money to the Thai economy, but I still want to live here, at least for now, and why not?

i completely agree.

i dont work here. I have my own money. I am here on a looooong holiday with my 6 year old son, and I enjoy living here.

i do back to back tourist visa-runs every 3 months.

why cant there be a visa for people that have their own money and want to live here. I am not working, so I wont be taking any jobs away from a thai person!

i am just sitting here and spending money!

I cant see how I am anything but a benefit to the country as I put money in and take nothing out.

if there was a visa where you had to proove your income and show your bank details, that would be great.

but of course they would never do this becasue anyone can borrow 50,000 dollars from a family member and show it to immigration and get the visa! so obviously the loophole is too easy.

but,, anyway, it would be nice.

Edited by easybullet3

I don't have a problem with people that get a back to back tourist visas.

What I can't understand is why people would want to make border runs every month and have to count the days all the time. Now you will have people that will still try and do it every 15 days.

Why not make a visa run and get a tourist visa like you do.

I do have a problem with people that are working without work permits. That's against the law.

If you could find an organization that would sponsor you to do volunteer work you could get a work permit and a visa.

Also there's the option of going to school and learning Thai.

Nonsensical comparison.

What people complain about and I will use the UK as an example as I am from there, is people coming in and collecting benefits under the guise of being asylum seekers or some other such thing. Under EU law, they are required to claim such in the first European country they enter but all the other countries ship them to the UK (who should send them back to France, Spain, Italy etc.) because the UK is soft as shit on this and hands out cash willy nilly. Then you have the do gooder lawyers who get taxpayers cash to try and plead their case whilst they get pregnant and claim through child dependency. Utter nonsense.

At the same time, UK people are scrutinised if they want just a little assistance.

Then you have the situation of economic refugees who should all be turned away but are not.

After that you have economic migration from places like Poland who sent over a million to the UK just after they joined the EU. The UK government thought 60,000 would come !

Arranged marriages, then trying to bring half of their family over when they don't want anything other than to freeload on the state, have their own estates, mosques, culture and the like, never learning English even.

To compare that situation to Thailand is just plain daft. The fact that this will actually hurt tourists more than expats makes it stupid.

Please will someone or madjbs in particular tell me the last immigrant or expat in Thailand to claim benefits from the state ? to be given free accommodation, free food, free clothing, have state paid for lawyers arguing his case against deportation, etc. etc.

I won't hold my breath !

Well said !!!!

There needs to be a "half way house" in all this. Neither a xenophobic vendetta like we seemingly see in Thailand, or a seemingly "free for all" that we see in the UK.

On a bit of a side note, do people realise how much of our UK benefits were claimed by these economic migrants...and then shipped back to their home countries to support relatives over there????

Like has been said above, who was the last farang in Thailand to be afforded such a luxury as that???

Penkoprod

i dont work here. I have my own money. I am here on a looooong holiday with my 6 year old son, and I enjoy living here.

i

Does your son go to school? You can get an extension and only have to show 500,000 baht in the bank.

See the new extension rules thread and have a look at 2.11 of the police order.

You gotta love the way all the moaning farangs complain to the bitter end about how their home countries have been taken over by immigrants and how they should be kicked out etc... But, when Thailand tries to protect itself against the same kind of thing, it's moan moan moan and how Thai people are stupid and shooting themselves in the foot etc...

Nonsensical comparison.

I won't hold my breath !

I thinked about it and here my 2 cents. Because uk passport give many travel abilities which that peoples cannot get by other ways (even if become transcorporation top manager). Because for same workjob in uk payed more money (it because different money price, isn't it? YOU using SAME benefit now at Thailand where you buy things for 5-10 times less price than at uk), because in uk this peoples have more big selection what to buy if have money and many more. Just try to see from other side, not only like media say us.

because lot of things at current world up to your passport/citizenship. If you have bad passport (like thais, but thais is lucky because tourists, sea, eternal summer, etc) - you cannot do nothing even to do business, travel, make money - ONLY way to change citizenship. So you can see how peoples (immigrants in uk in your eyes) try to fix this trouble (it just cannot be fixed by other way - only by rich country passport at this time). Also this peoples follow visa guideless of your country to get it.

Also may be it funny, but in Thailand most expats don't want anything other than to freeload on the state, have their own estates, mosques, culture and the like, never learning Thai even. Only one thing make him looks different from Thai is money. But his money from untrusted sources (may have money, but may be work unlegal), so genuine tourists more welcome for Thai economics than longstayers without proper visa.

Edited by leoalex

I think that Thailand wants to get rid of what it sees as the riff raff falangs. Those who cannot be bothered or just cannot get the right visa. If you have a legitimate visa there is no problem in staying here.

Agreed. Good move by Thai authorities.

UMM......

How about financially secure non working under 50s who are not married to a Thai. The kind of people who want to spend about 100,000 a month and may be interested in opening a business in Thailand or investing money soon or in the future.

How about young travellers who want to come to Thailand as part of their backpacking trip! Many of these are very good natured respectful travellers (unline the older more seedy "resident") and may come back in the future with more money.... after all Ko Samui was founded by "backpackers".

There is NO visa available to allow us to stay in Thailand for more than 60 days + 30 days extension.

Does that make us RIFF RAFF?

Thanks Thailand

I agree with you 100%.

I live here on a type O visa (Thai Wife) with these new changes if I were to lose my job I would have to leave Thailand :D , since I do not have enough money in the bank to make the cut.

Not many people that live here have an excess cash of 800k to lock down for only a visa. :o

I think I am ready to move to Vietnam or the PI. Wife does not like it much but it is becoming too expensive to live here and now they make it even harder for people that do work pay tax and so on.

I have been here for 17 years and I only have had 4 visas.

I wonder is it only riff raff like some say here or is it just farangs in general they would like to leave? :D

I live here on a type O visa (Thai Wife) with these new changes if I were to lose my job I would have to leave Thailand :D , since I do not have enough money in the bank to make the cut.

Not many people that live here have an excess cash of 800k to lock down for only a visa. :o

I think you need to read the changes. The 800,000 number you give is wrong it is 400,000.

At least they brought back the 400K number. That makes it better for a lot of people.

Edited by ubonjoe

Nonsensical comparison.

I won't hold my breath !

I thinked about it and here my 2 cents. Because uk passport give many travel abilities which that peoples cannot get by other ways (even if become transcorporation top manager). Because for same workjob in uk payed more money (it because different money price, isn't it? YOU using SAME benefit now at Thailand where you buy things for 5-10 times less price than at uk), because in uk this peoples have more big selection what to buy if have money and many more. Just try to see from other side, not only like media say us.

because lot of things at current world up to your passport/citizenship. If you have bad passport (like thais, but thais is lucky because tourists, sea, eternal summer, etc) - you cannot do nothing even to do business, travel, make money - ONLY way to change citizenship. So you can see how peoples (immigrants in uk in your eyes) try to fix this trouble (it just cannot be fixed by other way - only by rich country passport at this time). Also this peoples follow visa guideless of your country to get it.

Also may be it funny, but in Thailand most expats don't want anything other than to freeload on the state, have their own estates, mosques, culture and the like, never learning Thai even. Only one thing make him looks different from Thai is money. But his money from untrusted sources (may have money, but may be work unlegal), so genuine tourists more welcome for Thai economics than longstayers without proper visa.

PS : Also just remembered about news from Spain how many immigrants die in their boats going to Spain. But nobody not cares about it. But I already thinked - it same peoples!!! I think it same reason why immigrants not take cares your feels because it 2way of morality. Also that immigrants moved because economic and personal security reasons + lost their families for time, go and work on low-level work for smallest possibly money at your country (where everything different for him).

But you don't care his feels, you have idea what immigrants go because love your country so much (all your ideas go from this point). It not true because at current world some countries take wealth/money on himself & have less corruption than homecountries of immigrants. I personally think what it can be only fixed when will be something like "global goverment", not just lot of countries where most poor and have lot of corruption.

What is about wealth of 1st economic countries it because banks mostly. Banks it also reason for this world crisis which mostly now experienced by poor countries (usa/eu trying to move troubles to poorest currencies).

Edited by leoalex

I think you need to read the changes. The 800,000 number you give is wrong it is 400,000.

At least they brought back the 400K number. That makes it better for a lot of people.

but it's still a lot on an account that does nothing.

3 years ago I bought a house, last year I bought 3 and a half rai of land, on my wives name.

That's more then the 400k, but not on my name, so I don't qualify for it.

Nonsensical comparison.

I won't hold my breath !

PS : Also just remembered about news from Spain how many immigrants die in their boats going to Spain. But nobody not cares about it. But I already thinked - it same peoples!!! I think it same reason why immigrants not take cares your feels because it 2way of morality. Also that immigrants moved because economic and personal security reasons + lost their families for time, go and work on low-level work for smallest possibly money at your country (where everything different for him).

But you don't care his feels, you have idea what immigrants go because love your country so much (all your ideas go from this point). It not true because at current world some countries take wealth/money on himself & have less corruption than homecountries of immigrants. I personally think what it can be only fixed when will be something like "global goverment", not just lot of countries where most poor and have lot of corruption.

What is about wealth of 1st economic countries it because banks mostly. Banks it also reason for this world crisis which mostly now experienced by poor countries (usa/eu trying to move troubles to poorest currencies).

The difference is that in Spain, they get money, in Thailand we come to spend money.

I have my business in Spain not far from where they come with boats, and have friends who have businesses around the places where immigrants stay after they come fomr Algeria, Marroco,... and it's far worse how they ruine the place then a few lowlife farangs sittng on a beach in Thailand.(Because that's one of the main reasons for the change in law)

but it's still a lot on an account that does nothing.

3 years ago I bought a house, last year I bought 3 and a half rai of land, on my wives name.

That's more then the 400k, but not on my name, so I don't qualify for it.

Once you get the extension you can spend the 400,000. It does not have to stay there.

The difference is that in Spain, they get money, in Thailand we come to spend money.

I have my business in Spain not far from where they come with boats, and have friends who have businesses around the places where immigrants stay after they come fomr Algeria, Marroco,... and it's far worse how they ruine the place then a few lowlife farangs sittng on a beach in Thailand.(Because that's one of the main reasons for the change in law)

Apologize, it's a long time I'm not writing on thaivisa, I coudln't help answering this :

Do thais arrive to Spain by boat through the Gibraltar Strait? :o

I don't understand why when comparing UE laws with thai laws everybody refer to moroccans, rumenians and so, and never to thais.

Thailand is ready to establish a two part agreement, infact brazilians, peruvians, koreans that have an immigration treaty can stay without visa up to 90 days. When european countries will be ready to make such an agreement which allow thai citizens to enter without mess for 90 days, Thailand will do the same with europeans.

Apologize, it's a long time I'm not writing on thaivisa, I coudln't help answering this :

Do thais arrive to Spain by boat through the Gibraltar Strait? :o

I don't understand why when comparing UE laws with thai laws everybody refer to moroccans, rumenians and so, and never to thais.

Thailand is ready to establish a two part agreement, infact brazilians, peruvians, koreans that have an immigration treaty can stay without visa up to 90 days. When european countries will be ready to make such an agreement which allow thai citizens to enter without mess for 90 days, Thailand will do the same with europeans.

It was just a try to show how many moralities used in europe. Like peoples die but nobody cares.

In Thailand you stay long time but have money. Well, Thais want to know where from your money. Simular as want to know your country from Thais (but in must worstest scenario than Thais). If you work here/abroad but living here - pay your taxes here. Nothing more. Get proper visa.

Also you from start at better condition than any Thais (because your money). So not think what Thais will love you and give your right to live here only because you have money and want it.

It's a misconception that immigrants in the UK just freeload off the state. It also should be noted that people complain about 2nd generation migrant British citizens just as much, especially if they are Muslim etc...

In actual fact the majority of immigrants work hard doing honest jobs that the lazy British public no longer wish to do, mainly because they get nearly as much money claiming benefits themselves, without the effort. The migrants have come because there are many of these jobs available, many are willing to work for the low wages that British people no longer want to accept. They are not just coming to claim benefits as some claim.

I am scheduled to leave for my 80 day vacation in Thailand on Tuesday the 9th after rescheduling twice due to airport closure. I had planned to renew my 30 day visa with trips to Angkor Wat and Laos. I went online today and discovered that I cannot renew for 30 days but rather 15 days. I am seriously considering canceling my trip and my 15k budget will go elsewhere. I am not a backpacker. I am a college educated professional male. And what if I was a backpacker?

I can't overemphasize how foolish this move is by the Thai gov't. With tourism reeling they pull something like this out of the blue.

I am seriously considering canceling my Thai vacation and rescheduling to either the Philippines or Mexico.

I really do not understand this lack of judgment by the Thai government.

That settles it, then. It was paragraph 3 of 608/2549 that gave the limit of 90 visa-exempt days within six months. With this paragraph repealed, this limit no longer exists and immigration officers no longer have to count the days. I am glad for them.

--

Maestro

Presumably then, this means that someone could now depart and return by air (cheap Air Asia flight to somwhere) in the same day and remain indefinitely on 30 day stamps without a break? Note: I've noticed a fair amount of pointless abuse on this thread. This doesn't affect me personally, I'm on a non-immigrant visa, so don't even bother.

Go and get a tourist visa then, or fly back from Laos or Cambodia, hardly a big deal is it?

Let me repeat... my flight is scheduled for Tuesday Dec. 9.... Tuesday Dec. 9. Anyone with any sense would make the policy effective 90 days from the announcement date and not immediately.