30-days Border Runs Now Only 15 Days

Now we are taken for granted, scammed, and are even looked down upon by some of the local population.

Yes and it's ALL our own fault. Many farang are often extremely rude, arrogant and bitter when something just isn't going as WE want or expect.

If I were back home working and I had to deal with half-drunk, smelly, poorly dressed,rude, arrogant and annoying people I would ignore them and look down upon them as well.

This is Thailand and NOT the West. We are guests in this country and should try to blend in and not stand out. You don't like it here then please leave.

A smile and being polite does wonders.

:o

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That settles it, then. It was paragraph 3 of 608/2549 that gave the limit of 90 visa-exempt days within six months. With this paragraph repealed, this limit no longer exists and immigration officers no longer have to count the days. I am glad for them.

--

Maestro

Good call, Maestro :o Yes upon re-reading it I see the box in 777 refers to the limit of 90 days maximum for extensions on tourist visas, 30 days at a time.

I would assume that the rules on number of days granted on entry are covered separately from rules for extension. Could it be that this decree on extensions only replaces those aspects of the earlier decree with regard to extension rules? In other words can we correctly conclude that the 90-days-within-180-days limit for visa-exempt stays is now out the window since that rule is unrelated to extensions?

Just wondering whether anyone has been able to clarify this directly with immigration.

not forgetting that the 'cheap-charlie' visa runs to cambodia were made impossible a long time ago by having to provide proof of an onward flight within 30 days.
Impossible ? Are you jocking ?

You just have to buy a 100 o 200 baht bus ticket to Cambodia at the border to get you 30 days in Thailand.

TIT :o

There may be more to this than meets the eye. I find it interesting that this happened right around the time of the "million jobs threatened" release.

This may very well be a calculated move to show Thais that Farangs will not be allowed to take your jobs in tough times. However, in my opinion Farangs take very few jobs that could be filled by Thais. They are only allowed into jobs that are in strong demand.

Unfortunately with the downturn in the world economy I see the elite of Thailand and other countries blaming the westerners for many of their problems. This serves as a way to distract attention from themselves and continue their self interest.

I think there is a strong possibility there may be ulterior motives behind this action. Given the recent airport dilemma, political unrest and negative press coverage it is just too dumb a thing to do based on initial observations. Thoughts?

Sorry for this but come from one Italian forum and i think is important:

Re: Giro di vite uscite ogni 14 giorni per turisti dal 3/12/2008

di zigano il Ven 05 Dic, 2008 20:19

Devo contraddire ThaiVisa.com: ho 2 clienti in guesthouse arrivati ieri in Thailand DIRETTAMENTE dall ingilterra in aereo e all aeroporto int. di BKK anno ottenuto un visto di 14 (quattordici) giorni.

I must to say thatThaiVisa.com wrong: I have 2 customers in my guesthouse they arrive yesterday DIRECTLY from england in airplane in BKK airport(suvannaboo) and they get 14 DAYS (tourist visa)

Someone can explain that????

PS: him see the Passport whit 14 days visa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe some nationalities only receive 15 days (14 in reality) VOA when they arrive. Confirmation anyone?

What nationality were these 2 customers?

Hi Guys, I had just planned an 88 day trip before the rule changed. If I get a 60 day tourist visa will I be able to

travel outside Thailand or is it single entry? If I don't get the Tourist visa and just get the 30day when I arrive, will

I be able to Fly to a neighboring country to get 30 days twice more to complete my trip or is there a

better way to do it that I have missed that still lets me travel? Thanks in advance

Hi Guys, I had just planned an 88 day trip before the rule changed. If I get a 60 day tourist visa will I be able to

travel outside Thailand or is it single entry? If I don't get the Tourist visa and just get the 30day when I arrive, will

I be able to Fly to a neighboring country to get 30 days twice more to complete my trip or is there a

better way to do it that I have missed that still lets me travel? Thanks in advance

You will have to get a Visa to avoid problems with the airline. Once you are here you can extend it for 30 days at Immigration.

You can get a Re Entry Permit to keep your permission to stay alive. 1,000 Baht for a single. 3,800 Baht for a Multi.

Or come on the Visa and lose a few days when you leave and start travelling around as long as you return to Thailand by air you will get 30 days stay each time.

You can enter the country without a Visa if you have a ticket leaving Thailand within 30 days of arrival. So if you book a flight to a neighbouring country before you leave you will be ok.

You can get a tourist visa with more than one entry. A 2 entry would work if you only want to go out once and you would save the cost of an extension and a re-entry permit. Each entry costs the equivelant of 1000 baht.

You can get a tourist visa with more than one entry. A 2 entry would work if you only want to go out once and you would save the cost of an extension and a re-entry permit. Each entry costs the equivelant of 1000 baht.

Agree, but it all depends on how many times he wants to exit.

There may be more to this than meets the eye. I find it interesting that this happened right around the time of the "million jobs threatened" release.

This may very well be a calculated move to show Thais that Farangs will not be allowed to take your jobs in tough times. However, in my opinion Farangs take very few jobs that could be filled by Thais. They are only allowed into jobs that are in strong demand.

Unfortunately with the downturn in the world economy I see the elite of Thailand and other countries blaming the westerners for many of their problems. This serves as a way to distract attention from themselves and continue their self interest.

I think there is a strong possibility there may be ulterior motives behind this action. Given the recent airport dilemma, political unrest and negative press coverage it is just too dumb a thing to do based on initial observations. Thoughts?

This is a revision of the change that was done a little over two years ago when they made the 90 day rule.

I think this change has been in the works for quite a while and just got final approval and has nothing to do with politics or the economy.

The 90 day rule wasn't working that well and it was a problem for immigration to keep track of. So they made it real easy and targeted the group of people it was meant to affect by making it 15 days at the border and 30 at the airports.

It now will be a matter of waiting to see how it is implemented. I suspect that immigration officers will have the ability to give a 30 day permit for people that have traveled within the country they are entering from and/or have been in that country for a minimum amount of time.

Edited by ubonjoe

Yes the Thais collecting plastic bottles and labouring on building sites for 300 baht a day will be glad this legislation will ensure "low life Farangs" will not steal their jobs.

As noted by the previous poster, the 90/180 rule wasn't getting the intended job done and was making headaches for the Immigration officers who had to do all that math.

People often complain about the "bad attitude"these officers have, but imagine what your disposition would be like if you had to stand in their shoes over an 8-hour(?) shift, day-in, day-out.

Anyway, perhaps another reason for the change was simply to make it easier for the guys in the trenches at the land border checkpoints. Now they won't have to consult the list (http://www.thaivisa.com/visa/passport-holders-who-can-enter-thailand-without-visa.htm) to see who gets how many days, depending on nationality. It will be the same for everyone who qualifies for a visa exemption.

i guess i don't really understand what the disadvantage is to letting Western farang stay in Thailand, ie, what was the motivation to make it 15 days instead of 30? is it so that they need to pay more money for visas? In that case, why are there still so few options for wealthy unmarried farang below the retirement age to stay here?

It feels a bit more political, as if someone is beating a Nationalism drum or what not.

That said, I am on a non immigration O and I just go on vacation every 3 months. It has never bothered me in the least, although my wife did get a 10 year 6 month tourist visa to the USA on her first try, so people really should not say "look how hard it is to go to the West"... maybe for some Thai women it is depending on their 'sponsor' and their own appearance and vibe.

That said, I am on a non immigration O and I just go on vacation every 3 months.

Why don't you have a 1 year extension instead of making visa runs every 3 months.

I don't want to have to answer questions about my income or be on record or anything and i dont want to wait in lines and be put through the hassle

Getting a visa every year in Sinagpore on Orchard road takes like 3 minutes

all rather easy though if you live outside bangkok i could see how itd be a hassle to leave every 90 days

Edited by dave9988

That said, I am on a non immigration O and I just go on vacation every 3 months.

Why don't you have a 1 year extension instead of making visa runs every 3 months.

I don't want to have to answer questions about my income or be on record or anything and i dont want to wait in lines and be put through the hassle

all rather easy though if you live outside bangkok i could see how itd be a hassle to leave every 90 days

12 month extension 1,900 Baht.

Trip to Singapore plus border run every 90 days ????????

It is of course your choice.

There have been members that have posted the last couple of days that were not aware they could get a one year extension for marriage. So I was just asking for that reason.

You are lucky to get a multiple from Singapore because there have been many reports that they only give single entry visas.

I could make a trip to 2 border crossing that are about a 2 hour drive from the house. But I don't need to now.

I found the process of getting a 1 year extension to be very easy. Other than the trip to the consulate in Bangkok for a piece of paper.

Edited by ubonjoe

perhaps, but what is everyone on here always complaining about? that is what has mainly put me off. and i thought you had to go to the immigration office every 90 days anyways?

The long lines you mentioned earlier are for Bangkok immigration. Where I went there was no line or wait.

I am fortunate that I can use a small helpfull immigration office.

Many of the complaints voiced are not that big. Many are a misunderstanding or a lack of paperwork. Yes some immigration offices can be a problem. But not all.

The 90 day reports don't take that long and you can even mail them in if the immigration office is not nearby where you live.

i guess i don't really understand what the disadvantage is to letting Western farang stay in Thailand, ie, what was the motivation to make it 15 days instead of 30? is it so that they need to pay more money for visas? In that case, why are there still so few options for wealthy unmarried farang below the retirement age to stay here?

What makes you think there is some campaign against western farangs? It's broad spectrum immigration control.

What makes you think there is some campaign against western farangs? It's broad spectrum immigration control.

well, what is the basis or motive from going from 30 days to 15 days?

well, what is the basis or motive from going from 30 days to 15 days?

To cut down on the number of would be or at least want-to-be immigrants posing as tourists?

It appears to apply to all foreign nationalities.

:D

It makes sense does,nt it?

As Heng says its to stamp out people living in Thailand posing as tourists.

I think its a good move coupled with released grip on restrictions of legitimate farang spouses - parents and lets face it its about time.

People can complain all they like but look at the restrictions of getting into the the UK for example....do you think that you could do border runs every month there and have yer cake and eat it?

Come on......the world is moving faster than we like to think.

…In other words can we correctly conclude that the 90-days-within-180-days limit for visa-exempt stays is now out the window since that rule is unrelated to extensions?

Just wondering whether anyone has been able to clarify this directly with immigration.

It was paragraph 3 of 608/2549 that specified the limitation of 90 days visa-exempt stay within six months. According to this post by LiteBeer, 778/2551 says that paragraph 3 of the previous Police Order No. 608/2549 has been repealed (ใหยกเลิก) and even quotes the text of the repealed paragraph 3 of 608/2549.

In the end it will of course be a question of whether and how an individual immigration officer understands this text.

--

Maestro

Au contraire.

Apparently they abolished the day counting rule, so from the point of view of people doing visa runs BY AIR for which you get THIRTY DAYS, they have LIBERALIZED their policies on visa runners.

Though I know that it sounds elitist, perhaps people with the means to buy an airline ticket once a month are not the type of longterm visitors that the Thais want to chase away.