30-days Border Runs Now Only 15 Days

Au contraire.

Apparently they abolished the day counting rule, so from the point of view of people doing visa runs BY AIR for which you get THIRTY DAYS, they have LIBERALIZED their policies on visa runners.

Buy shares in AirAsia; they are going to make a fortune.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Au contraire.

Apparently they abolished the day counting rule, so from the point of view of people doing visa runs BY AIR for which you get THIRTY DAYS, they have LIBERALIZED their policies on visa runners.

Though I know that it sounds elitist, perhaps people with the means to buy an airline ticket once a month are not the type of longterm visitors that the Thais want to chase away.

It would be a lot greener just to abolish the age restriction for the retirement extensions. That is all about showing some money.

Think why. Because most of wealth and money in european countries. You not think it strange? By the way do you seen movie Zeitgeist? (here many information about ways how usa/eu banks make money, just printing more and more. It also reason of current econonim crisiss). May be it open eyes what where from "1st" world economics get money from.

while there are certainly some open questions regarding the monetary system, you haven't done wonders for your credibility by citing "Zeitgeist."

Au contraire.

Though I know that it sounds elitist, perhaps people with the means to buy an airline ticket once a month are not the type of longterm visitors that the Thais want to chase away.

that may be their logic, but it just may be that they're trying to bring back the air traffic that the sensible ones know they've scared off with the recent drama.

For me this is good news. I am maried so I can send 40k to my thai bank account and go for the visa extensions or as I live lear a boarder I can just take a 45min drive and do a visa run if I need to and get some duty free without worrying about weather they will give me a visa if I am close to the 90days / 180. I am sure this will make it easier for all the immigration officers so hopefully less time going through customs and immigration. Singapore has been doing this 30 day airport and 15 day at boarder for years. The whole thing is more simple and straight fwd. Once people know the rules they will make previsions as usual. I cant see it hurting tourism. It might even make property value around the boarders more valuable.

Obviously, the Thai govt is creating resistance for those wishing to travel and enjoy the kingdom.

Having lived in Thailand many years and now having lived in other SE Asian countries I suggest that others broaden their horizons and support other nations.

I just spent six weeks in a large Malyasian city,saw half a dozen foreigners.

I lived on Bali for four months,visas are $55 per month-just go down and pay.

Malay mainland and Borneo,Indonesia,Laos,Philippines,Cambodia,Viet Nam-so many beautiful places with decent accomadations and competiitve living standards.

If the Thai govt need to apply increasingly restrictive laws then there are problems and I do not wish to be a focal point of their issues.

Anybody wishing to enjoy a good standard of living in a more hospitable environment should just vote with their feet and purchasing power.

I see no advantage in staying where I am no longer wanted or accepted due to societal problems I did not create or nurture.

Thailand is a magnificent country but so are many other nations.

Enjoy life where conditions state you are desired and accepted.

Hi Guys, I had just planned an 88 day trip before the rule changed. If I get a 60 day tourist visa will I be able to

travel outside Thailand or is it single entry? If I don't get the Tourist visa and just get the 30day when I arrive, will

I be able to Fly to a neighboring country to get 30 days twice more to complete my trip or is there a

better way to do it that I have missed that still lets me travel? Thanks in advance

You will have to get a Visa to avoid problems with the airline. Once you are here you can extend it for 30 days at Immigration.

You can get a Re Entry Permit to keep your permission to stay alive. 1,000 Baht for a single. 3,800 Baht for a Multi.

Or come on the Visa and lose a few days when you leave and start travelling around as long as you return to Thailand by air you will get 30 days stay each time.

You can enter the country without a Visa if you have a ticket leaving Thailand within 30 days of arrival. So if you book a flight to a neighbouring country before you leave you will be ok.

Hi.

I have traveled from New York to Bangkok for years getting a 30 day arrival stamp and never showed my onward ticket. I would just show immigration my passport and boarding pass from my arrival filght and sent through.

BTW, I always have a RT ticket (available) to return to the U.S. after my stay in Thailand. But I could see someone coming into Thailand with a one way ticket and never checked. This of course depends on their host country allowing them to fly on a one way ticket.

TC

I have traveled from New York to Bangkok for years getting a 30 day arrival stamp and never showed my onward ticket. I would just show immigration my passport and boarding pass from my arrival filght and sent through.

Fly in from Calcutta and have brown skin and you might get a different reception.

Are you still only allowed three of these visas in a six month period?

I went to immigration on the holiday and there was an officer there. He told me that you can go in and out every 15 days as many times as you like. I asked him about the 3 month deal and he said it was gone. If they were doing this to limit the number of back to back visas i am not sure this new plan makes sense. It sounds like the three month deal was not working so they needed a way to make more money if people were going to stay all year anyway.

I think this is a bad idea for Thailand. "Good" many may say to get rid of all those illegal English teachers and those "pesky" (though I think groovy) backpackers. Yet around 80% of teachers here don't have a visa because schools, particularly language schools, are not given many. So they rely on tourists- which is a whole other problem.

Also, giving those arriving by airport 30 days but those by land 15 days is discriminatory. It comes down to a monetary thing. Does Thailand think that those "extended tourists" don't bring money to this country? Do people staying at resorts buy fruit from fruit stands and items from other vendors? Usually not. This country needs all the income it can get now, and those "extended tourists" really help out the local economy, maybe not so much the resorts and more elite tourist destinations, but they do really help.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy living here, but I think it was a really bad move, especially since tourism will be way lower in the coming years due to the political upheaval.

Also, this country is in desperate need of foreign teachers: legal or not. I am asked at least once a week, even from random people on the BTS, if I know of any falang looking for teaching jobs.

Also, this country is in desperate need of foreign teachers: legal or not. I am asked at least once a week, even from random people on the BTS, if I know of any falang looking for teaching jobs.

You are right about the crazy policies for English teachers. Thailand is only shooting itself in the foot (a specialty?) with that and has a very low standard of English which is of course a real problem with economic competitiveness. However, they are apples and oranges. If the authorities wanted to make it easier to legalize English teachers, they could easily do it other ways.

Just one question:

If you arrive with a 60 days tourist visa from your home country, then have your 30 days extension, and further choose to get tourist visa again in a neighbour country as Malaysia, Laos or Cambodia,

just how many times can you do this now?

Only one, that gives you a total of 6 months, or several times, up to one year or 15 months maybe?

Is it possible with a double entry visa from one of these countries now?

Anyone who knows the answer?

Thanks.

Just one question:

If you arrive with a 60 days tourist visa from your home country, then have your 30 days extension, and further choose to get tourist visa again in a neighbour country as Malaysia, Laos or Cambodia,

Only one, that gives you a total of 6 months, or several times, up to one year or 15 months maybe?

Thanks.

Its safe to say nobody knows the answer if the question is will the neighboring embassies always give indefinite tourist visas to all comers with stampy passports. However, what we do seem to know is that the day counting rule is abolished, which means theoretically people can live in Thailand all year with combinations of tourist visas, extensions, 15 day visa runs, and 30 day visa runs (until they change the rules again ...)

Edited by Jingthing

Just one question:

Thanks.

Its safe to say nobody knows the answer if the question is will the neighboring embassies always give indefinite tourist visas to all comers with stampy passports. However, what we do seem to know is that the day counting rule is abolished, which means theoretically people can live in Thailand all year with combinations of tourist visas, extensions, 15 day visa runs, and 30 day visa runs (until they change the rules again ...)

Thnx for your quick answer, and my thought too.

As the counting day ruling is abolished, it might also be possible to repeatedly go for the tourist visa at the neighbouring embassies.

But we just have to wait and see I guess.

In total, some of the changes hasn`t been too bad, for some families and retirement purposes.

The 90 days counting rule is also good to have behind us.

The 15 days was a setback for sure, but I almost never used the old 30 days anyway.

Maybe I stick around for a while after all :o

Fly in from Calcutta and have brown skin and you might get a different reception.

Well I have never flown in from Calcutta to Bkk, but I do have dark skin being a Black American, and still never been requested to show an onward ticket to Thai immigration.

Well I have never flown in from Calcutta to Bkk, but I do have dark skin being a Black American, and still never been requested to show an onward ticket to Thai immigration.

Thai Immigration wont, but the airline might. Thus refusing you a seat on the flight. It does happen.

The only group of people that they are targeting is those working without a work permit. If you have a work permit you can get a 1 year extension or a multiple entry visa. With a visa you just make border runs every 90 days and once a year a visa run for another multiple entry.

Before they started the 90 in 6 months rule you had people running to the border every 30 days and you can be sure the weekends were the busy days.

That made a lot people have to get a tourist or some other type of visa. If somebody is working can they always take 2 or 3 days off work to get a visa.

They changed the rules now so that immigration don't have to count days anymore and still make it hard for those working because it is going to cost them a lot to do border runs or fly in and out.

It will be cheaper to get a visa.

I don't think you will see any changes to the consulates giving out back to back tourist visas.

visa-waiver-catagory ?????????????????????????????????

please explain

hgma

Lao citizens do not fall under the visa waiver catagory so the rule will not apply.

Visa waiver is the term used in the old 90 day 6 month rule. It is also called a visa exemption. Lao citiznes are under the bilateral agreement category.

Have a look at this list: http://www.mfa.go.th/internet/document/ChartVisa.pdf

The only group of people that they are targeting is those working without a work permit. If you have a work permit you can get a 1 year extension or a multiple entry visa. With a visa you just make border runs every 90 days and once a year a visa run for another multiple entry.

Before they started the 90 in 6 months rule you had people running to the border every 30 days and you can be sure the weekends were the busy days.

That made a lot people have to get a tourist or some other type of visa. If somebody is working can they always take 2 or 3 days off work to get a visa.

They changed the rules now so that immigration don't have to count days anymore and still make it hard for those working because it is going to cost them a lot to do border runs or fly in and out.

It will be cheaper to get a visa.

I don't think you will see any changes to the consulates giving out back to back tourist visas.

Thanks ubonjoe and Lite Beer for your always insightful answers.

You are really helping lots of people.

Keep up the good work :o

OK, I'll leave, but I won't come back. I'lljust spend my money elsewhere.
Don't spend it elsewhere just send it here like many Farangs do. To the love of their lives. Ha Ha

And yes, the loves of their lives probably have two or three more Farangs sending them money every month!!!

Obviously, the Thai govt is creating resistance for those wishing to travel and enjoy the kingdom.

Having lived in Thailand many years and now having lived in other SE Asian countries I suggest that others broaden their horizons and support other nations.

I just spent six weeks in a large Malyasian city,saw half a dozen foreigners.

I lived on Bali for four months,visas are $55 per month-just go down and pay.

Malay mainland and Borneo,Indonesia,Laos,Philippines,Cambodia,Viet Nam-so many beautiful places with decent accomadations and competiitve living standards.

If the Thai govt need to apply increasingly restrictive laws then there are problems and I do not wish to be a focal point of their issues.

Anybody wishing to enjoy a good standard of living in a more hospitable environment should just vote with their feet and purchasing power.

I see no advantage in staying where I am no longer wanted or accepted due to societal problems I did not create or nurture.

Thailand is a magnificent country but so are many other nations.

Enjoy life where conditions state you are desired and accepted.

Indonesian VISA's are just $ 25 if you buy them on arrival (30 days on arrival). I never was in need of the regular 60-days-tourist VISA, but I dont think it costs $ 55 a month (that would be 110 $ for 60 days - highly unlikely..... though right now I am too lazy at the moment to search at the website of the indonesian embassy in my home country....)

A bilateral agreement is an agreement between two countries. In this case Thailand and Laos have agreed to let each others citizens stay in their country for 30 days without the need for a visa.

Thailand also let citizens from other countries visit without a visa, like the US and EU-countries, but that is a decision Thailand made on its own, and therefor not bilateral, for tourism puposses.

OTE: Please keep this thread civil. No discussion about politics or off topics, please.

Off topic posts will be deleted.

Gee, not to get off topic, and with all due respect to the ThaiVisa folks... but isn't EVERYTHING about Visas political??

I hope I don't get deleted.

Let us all start with the obvious points that we all understand as facts.

Thailand is a nation and can do what ever it pleases as far as immigration goes. It is their home and they not apologize for changes. not that they ever would. HAA HAA

If tomorrow it said all people from a particular nation could not enter, it would be perfectly in its rights as a sovereign nation to do so.

Let me start back around 1998.

Thailand had been devastated by an economic collapse. It was in desperate need of cash and so it opened up to foreigners from the west to come and stay. Thailand turned its head to immigration laws and allowed people to over stay, work, and what have you.

Then the economy started to recover and the laws and rules started to tighten.

Currently it is hard for me to understand those who argue and complain about what we can do nothing about. Thailand is closing the door slowly on western foreigners who want to live here unless you happen to be 50 and older or if you are married.

Is it so different in other nations?

Well yes it is.

You see, here, even you married and retired must report every 90 days and you are not residents under Thai law. You have no right here to own property. You cannot vote. You are shut out of most jobs even if you do work here under a valid work permit. Even married people are treated like crap.

Compare this to a very difficult nation to get into--America. if you are married to an American you can get in and work immediately. You can vote in local elections but not the national ones. You can hold the vast majority of jobs other than the ones which require national security Clarence. You can own all the property you wish to. All of this is true for most of western Europe as well.

Not only all this but after 2 years and 9 months on a green card, you can apply and easily get Citizenship in America.

Just imagine you can be a fireman, a cop, a worker at a tech company or whatever. A Farang cannot do that here. Land of smile? maybe they are smiling because we are so so stupid to be here.

We are just visitors.

That is what the Thai law says.

Likely they will shut the door more and more as time goes by.

We all say the Green and Red fighting and they hate each other here. But--they both agree that they want to push farangs out.

That smile you get here is meaningless.

The hardcore bar nuts will stay. This is funny because these are the people that Thailand would most like to get rid of is it not? yes

But the hard working family people that would be a positive for Thai communities are all forced to leave. I agree this is a stupid policy Thailand has but I do respect their right to be xenophobic nuts. it is their funeral.

Just give it up people and follow the rules. if the rules seem unacceptable to you, go home or to another nation of choice. Thailand clearly does not care.

Why is it you people are so desperate to say here?

it is nicer to live in Paris, London, Tokyo, new York, and on and on and on.

Funny thing is there you can drink beer too.

The people actually might like you.

Conclusion.

Thailand wants you to leave.

Are you waiting for the foot to kick you in the ass before you leave?

Good luck