30-days Border Runs Now Only 15 Days

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quite agree. Could never understand why any country does not have "back to back" visa regulations...

It's about allowing third world people into first world countries. They don't leave, and become a burden on the social services of the country that let them in.

I dont see how this is more restrictive. Before you ran the risk of having the door slammed in your face if you went over the 90 days now you can just do a border run. As many as you want. It is inconveinient for some, but at least they arent telling people to stay out for 90 days. The backpackers are mobile and flexible so it wount hurt them. The teachers? well I guess its time to get a work permit.

I m glad the Thai authorities continue the amazing Thailand promotion 2008 started so successfully by the PAD building on Mr. Taksin's unique talents. Well done ! It is not unexpected and as a so much disgusted longtime tourist I had taken action long time before. I feel vindicated.

1.) I got a longterm residence visa. Of course, NOT in Thailand, much cheaper elsewhere and better terms anyhow. Plus clean beaches, cheap sea food, the rest I leave for your imagination....

2.) I pulled out all the money from the bank. The memorable expression on the faces of bankers will stay for me for a long time. Make more money from those assets now, by the way.

3.) I did not buy that condo in Thailand. Rent in other parts of the area is so cheap, near/at the beach of course (near in meters not minutes by car). Anyhow, who wants to risk his money in Thailand when I get for it interest elsewhere? Pattaya is anyhow going down. Traffic and polution like in BKK... The water, well, take a piss at best...

Yes I m coming back regularly and visit, but one thing is absolutely clear:

The anti-foreigner trend is unbroken. It is getting worse and this is just one more proof. Some farangs may celebrate the more restrictive policies but they do not understand that there will be more of that. Next time it might be your turn. Applauding repressive moves is stupid but we see that from many disenfrachised (or non-enfranchised??) anywhere. Applaud the executioner as he took the other one.... dont worry you will get his attention sooner or later.

The nice thing about immigration policies in Thailand is that it is not really a policy. Comparisons with the EU are a joke. Here you have treaties. In Thailand a police order is enough. Of course no blame on the BiB, we all know and love them when we are driving and meet Thailand's finest.

Good luck to Thailand. I anyhow prefer the services of international banks (taxi, coffee, etc.) over standing in line in my BKK bank and answering stupid questions. Thanks to Thailand, I experienced a first class immigration service - elsewhere.

Do I love Thailand? Yes! Do I like Thai politics? No!

About taxes - Well, I m happy to say: I dont pay such and this is perfectly legal.

Expats might do well to re-evaluate their situation in Thailand. The real estate sharks or foreign company employees are of course in a different situation. I was used to gradually adapt myself to the ever increasing difficulties. Once I had re-evalued my situation, I started laughing at myself that I put up with it. Worse, there was no assurance that this will not go on. I was right or better: My Thai friends were when they reminded me that anything can be done in Thailand with a simple administrative decision. There is no stability for foreigners in Thailand.

Applauding repressive moves is stupid ...

There is no stability for foreigners in Thailand ...

I agree 100 percent.

That said, I still want to stay. Just be conscious of your situation and accept it like an adult, and if you can't accept it, the airports are open again.

Gertrude Stein said of Oakland, California: There is no there there.

I say of Thailand: There is no fair here.

It is always good for a laugh to see the nasty minded farangs come out of the woodwork every time a new anti-farang ruling is made. Kick the scum out! I am a good farang! They would never kick me out! Only the bad farang! I don't own a backpack! Make the rules even harder! I support them! I see it as a variation of the Stockholm Syndrome.

Edited by Jingthing

It never ceases to amaze me how smug some of the people on here are. The it doesn't affect me so it's ok attitude. What a bunch of selfish holes you all are, doesn't anybody ever look beyond their own personal space. Can't wait to see your faces after the next round of visa rules. Or the next.... It's not gonna stop here is it?

Idiots anonymous is a more appropriate forum name

Where is this going?...

In the future you can only enter thailand with a tourist visa from a thai embassy abroad?

And without possible extension?

A few years ago it was much easier, I'll bet they lost tourism because of that, and they lose more with these new rules.

Or was that the intention :o

It's as crazy as most posters seem to think. I'm here on a B visa, working with a work permit, etc, so , right now, I don't have problems-- but-- several friends of mine have had relatives from their home countries visit them as part of a 'tour' around SE Asia, with Thailand as the last stop before they fly home via Bangkok. All three set of people had money , and were happy to spend it, and all three came by land, one set from Laos and two from Cambodia. All had planned to stay in Thailand and travel around about for 3- 4 weeks, then go home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Had they all arrived yesterday, they'd have been in trouble, with hotels and the return flights booked in advance and cars hired in advance online, and a 15 day stay instead of a month.

Also, for UK citizens, also on 'visa exempt' status, planning to come here for more than 15 days after visting nearby countries , there is one Thai Embassy in London and one honorary consulate in Hull. Would most of you be willing to take 2 days at least off work and travel across, down or up the country with the costs involved just to get 3 weeks, say, in Thailand on holiday? Or would you rather go somewhere else warm and rather more welcoming? Escpecially if you weren't 100% sure on what date you would get to Thailand?

And what about people with penty of money who are doing it the comfortable way and have already planned and paid in advance for car hire, flights out of Thailand at the end of their holidays, and hotel accomodation, all booked through the internet with no chance of a refund?

There's a saying in the UK -- If you like the servce, you tell the company-- if you don't you tell all your friends...... how many better-off people will this put off, probably for good?

Okinasan

there is one Thai Embassy in London and one honorary consulate in Hull. Would most of you be willing to take 2 days at least off work and travel across, down or up the country with the costs involved just to get 3 weeks, say, in Thailand on holiday? \

Hull accepts UK postal application without any fuss.... :o

It never ceases to amaze me how smug some of the people on here are. The it doesn't affect me so it's ok attitude. What a bunch of selfish holes you all are, doesn't anybody ever look beyond their own personal space. Can't wait to see your faces after the next round of visa rules. Or the next.... It's not gonna stop here is it?

Idiots anonymous is a more appropriate forum name

How about wingers anonymous

It's as crazy as most posters seem to think...

Thailand is not a huge country if these people will be travelling around then they will never be very far from a border crossing just nip over and get a new stamp for another 15 days problem solved.

Thailand is not a huge country if these people will be travelling around then they will never be very far from a border crossing just nip over and get a new stamp for another 15 days problem solved.

"Nip"? More like "slog" given that most places a tourist will likely find themselves are an hour or more from a border checkpoint. Not everyone holidays in garden spots like Nong Khai or Aranyaprathet. Double that to account for the return journey, add an hour or two in the broiling sun, the joy of standing in queues on the rare occasions that an actual queue forms, the various hustles, hassles and potential rip-offs, mediocre roads and insane van drivers... A whole day shot in other words. No, just not practical for most folks.

Does the new reg say "30 days only at airports" or does it say "15 days only at land borders". I'm struggling to recall if there are also maritime ports of entry and in turn wondering whether or not those are treated as land crossings.

"Nip"? More like "slog" given that most places a tourist will likely find themselves are an hour or more from a border checkpoint. Not everyone holidays in garden spots like Nong Khai or Aranyaprathet. Double that to account for the return journey, add an hour or two in the broiling sun, the joy of standing in queues on the rare occasions that an actual queue forms, the various hustles, hassles and potential rip-offs, mediocre roads and insane van drivers... A whole day shot in other words. No, just not practical for most folks.

Does the new reg say "30 days only at airports" or does it say "15 days only at land borders". I'm struggling to recall if there are also maritime ports of entry and in turn wondering whether or not those are treated as land crossings.

If you were in Had Yai you could do the whole thing in less than 2 hrs I have done it many times and it is even a pleasant drive. It has never taken more than 10 mins once at the border to get through. There is an excellant golf course there and many great bars. it doesnt have to be a slog unless you see the glass as half empty.

...My estimates may be off - so you can use your own best guess. But the calculation template is accurate. The damage that this change will do to Thailand is minimal, at worst.

They may be accurate, however, most of the bars and shops survive on those 30 day'ers when times get hard, and they will get very hard over the next couple years. STUPID thing to do by the government at this time.

I m glad the Thai authorities continue the amazing Thailand promotion 2008 started so successfully by the PAD building on Mr. Taksin's unique talents. Well done ! It is not unexpected and as a so much disgusted longtime tourist I had taken action long time before. I feel vindicated.

1.) I got a longterm residence visa. Of course, NOT in Thailand, much cheaper elsewhere and better terms anyhow. Plus clean beaches, cheap sea food, the rest I leave for your imagination....

2.) I pulled out all the money from the bank. The memorable expression on the faces of bankers will stay for me for a long time. Make more money from those assets now, by the way.

3.) I did not buy that condo in Thailand. Rent in other parts of the area is so cheap, near/at the beach of course (near in meters not minutes by car). Anyhow, who wants to risk his money in Thailand when I get for it interest elsewhere? Pattaya is anyhow going down. Traffic and polution like in BKK... The water, well, take a piss at best...

And where might that be if I can ask?

I think that is not a problem. I normally entered Thailand with a tourist visa or a non immigrant visa. I always used the service of Siamese Visa. They are professional.

When i tried to get a visa to go with my boyfriend to England, they were not exactly very accomodating, after the 3rd attempt i was allowed to visit. I was shocked at the way foreigners were treated at the airport and made to wait while all uk citizans cleared customs. Not 1 foreigner moved through customs in over 40 min, my boyfriend was not happy at the way we were treated and when he complained was told to go and sit down, foreigners never have that trouble at our airports

Really????

Wrong stamps, uncivil treatment, VERY long rows, and so on, and so on

And I would like to know as well!

Hypothetical question. Suppose a Thai factory worker saved up enough money to go on to vacation to Paris and knocked up a prostitute. Then if the prostitute, out of her fondness for handsome men, decided to marry the Thai man, would the French grant him permanent residency, no questions asked? And would that right of residency extend to the rest of the EU?

Not permanent residency, but the couple (assuming she was French) would have the right to live and work (I'm not sure about living and not working) in the rest of the EU - France itself would be more difficult. If she were Swiss (random example), they would have the right to live and work anywhere in the EU.

Thailand is extremely expat friendly and here is how I see it briefly based on living here on every kind of visa for the last 10 years:

1. It is easy to get a Non-immigrant o visa which allows an alien to stay up to on year with multiple entries provided they leave at least every three months.

2. For a few thousand dollars an expat can even get a one year business visa with a work permit and you can open your mikes burgers and tuskers, dubliners etc.(which by the way are mints, and pillars of the expat community in Thailand)

2. During the nonimmigrant o stay, no taxes are paid even though most people do stay multiple years using public services on those visas.

3. An alien can open a bank account and use an atm, and a debit card and directly TT money in large amounts never raising an eyebrow.

4. quality housing accommodating pretty much all ranges of wealth from the lower income pensioner to the wealthy living on massive monthly incomes of 1,000,000 baht or more.

5 An expat is free to date women or men freely without scrutiny or legal problems as long as everyone is over 20. We all know about the laws that are actually on the books in neighboring countries.(they may or may not be enforced)

Lets face it, Thailand is like a giant nursing home for expats. A garden of earthly delights. These new laws really protect expatriotism in Thailand in that it makes staying here more difficult for people who are not expats, but just hanging around from entry to entry, screwing off, not really adding anything substantial to the expat community nor Thailand. It may make Thailand safer getting rid of some of the transient element which may have been fueling some of the drug related crime in some of the resort areas. Finally, I say...If a person cant manage at least a non immigrant o, than they have no business claiming that they are an expat in Thailand.

1. It is easy to get a Non-immigrant o visa which allows an alien to stay up to on year with multiple entries provided they leave at least every three months.

Not easy at all for retirees UNDER AGE 50 from countries without super liberal consulates.

Also for a country which does thrive on tourism, what is the big problem with people who wish to indeed be tourists here for years on end, as long as they are not violating local laws?

Don't compare Thailand to the west. It doesn't.

Edited by Jingthing

Not easy at all for retirees UNDER AGE 50 from countries without super liberal consulates.

Also for a country which does thrive on tourism, what is the big problem with people who wish to indeed be tourists here for years on end, as long as they are not violating local laws?

Don't compare Thailand to the west. It doesn't.

Definitively, a tourist doesn't go somewhere and stay for years. They book a tour, and stay a few weeks. Maybe staying for years would make that tourist an expat?!

I found that blossoming into an expat happened when I got my first NI "O". I found it difficult too being under 50, but the thai bank statements proving income deposited from an account outside of Thailand and proof of support of a love interest and their family sealed the deal. Might I suggest you try the same.

but the thai bank statements proving income deposited from an account outside of Thailand and proof of support of a love interest and their family sealed the deal. Might I suggest you try the same.
Nope, I am over 50 now. I don't think the Thais would go for a same sex love interest, do you? You come off SMUG. You got yours, to heil with the riff raff.

However, the ED visa is a good option for people with money under 50.

Edited by Jingthing

And I would like to know as well!

Put your money in a bank in some 3rd country, that's where the income goes and stays. Deposit the demanded minimum amount in 1 or several local banks where you reside in order to get your residence visa. No running to borders anymore, just when I want to, and no reporting to immigration. The whole process took maybe 3-4 weeks (i did it during 2 trips) and maybe 3-4 visits. Could be done in 3 visits to the office.

I took the advice of some board members here about the Phils and dont regret it. Stay away from Manila for sure but that's about it.

When I m in phils, i wake up and walk my 50 meters to the ocean. No further details. Just travel around and find your own paradise. Life is good. When I travel, no hotel asks for my passport by the way. No constant registering. Seems the police state mentality has not reached here yet.

Ah, did I mention that the people speak English? Pattaya addicts can be found in Angeles. I m not one of them, so I m off in the woods. If you look for a 2nd BKK, though, you will be disappointed.

Still learning but pretty happy.

When I m in phils, i wake up and walk my 50 meters to the ocean. No further details. Just travel around and find your own paradise. Life is good. When I travel, no hotel asks for my passport by the way. No constant registering. Seems the police state mentality has not reached here yet.

I'm happy you're enjoying the Philippines...I like it too...but your honeymoon won't last forever. It can wear off after awhile.

i was many time in the philippines after all this changes.

the philippines is no alternative.

1. you know it when you one time sick,,,hospitals etc very low standard

2. infrastructure bad

3. police is absoluty untrtrustable and 10 times corrupter than in thailand

4. food and hotel supply is low quality

5. no security

but diving,beaches,islands and of course the girls are nice,and beer and cigarettes are cheap

but this is not enough to live there

Hi,

I have lived in Thailand for 15 months - mostly on a non immigrant O visa, my wife teaches here, both my children go to school here, I have an internet business and am paid in Australian dollars which I then convert to Thai Baht - (at a depressing rate of exchange now of course) - and, naturally enough, I spend that money here in Thailand where I reside.

Last week my non imm O expired and I went to Chiang Mai immigration, they told me to go to Mae Sai, get a 30 day visa, and go to Bangkok - (as I did originally) - and get another non imm O - with the required 21 days left on my visa.

I went to Mae Sai last Wednesday, got the 15 days "new rule" stamp - so obviously I am left without the 21 days which I need to go to Bangkok immigration.

I just thought I'd ask if anyone could shed some light on what the hel_l I am supposed to now.

Best Regards,

Phil - (a.k.a. "riff raff" apparently).

Hi,

I have lived in Thailand for 15 months - mostly on a non immigrant O visa, my wife teaches here, both my children go to school here, I have an internet business and am paid in Australian dollars which I then convert to Thai Baht - (at a depressing rate of exchange now of course) - and, naturally enough, I spend that money here in Thailand where I reside.

Last week my non imm O expired and I went to Chiang Mai immigration, they told me to go to Mae Sai, get a 30 day visa, and go to Bangkok - (as I did originally) - and get another non imm O - with the required 21 days left on my visa.

I went to Mae Sai last Wednesday, got the 15 days "new rule" stamp - so obviously I am left without the 21 days which I need to go to Bangkok immigration.

I just thought I'd ask if anyone could shed some light on what the hel_l I am supposed to now.

Best Regards,

Closest option would be go to Vientiane and get a tourist visa there ........ or if you have the time and need to visit OZ anyway fly home go to a consulate and get a one year non Imm.

Hi,

Best Regards,

Have you been on a 1 year extension of your permit to stay or have you been using a non-o multiple entry visa.

If you were on an extension I cannot understand why they told you to go to Bangkok if you are living in Chiang Mai. Because Bangkok will send you back to Chiang Mai now.

The best option now will be to make a trip to Vientiane and get a single entry non-o. I assume your previous visa/extension was given because you wife is on a non-b/extension with a work permit. With that you can get an extension.

Thailand is extremely expat friendly and here is how I see it briefly based on living here on every kind of visa for the last 10 years:

2. During the nonimmigrant o stay, no taxes are paid even though most people do stay multiple years using public services on those visas.

Thailand is like a giant nursing home for expats. A garden of earthly delights...

I generally agree with your sentiments. My only "clarification" would be that all pay taxes...even those without Thai based incomes. Did you forget the 7% VAT on all goods and services. There are also other gov't fees that effectively amount to taxes, e.g., annual car/bike registrations, visa extension fees, annual corp. reports for those that own homes/condos that way, etc.