New 5 Years Visas For Long Term Residents

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say this again with feeling.

Some of you people are missing the big picture....

On December 16, no one but Sunny Valentine and Pattaya Today had heard of this ( now nonexistent ) Visa. no one here and no one in Immigration. More people have read this thread than the forum rules. Approximately 7 days later most of the immigration department knows how to answer your question about this incident.

Believe me when I say, they know more about the wants of the Farang in Thailand now than they probably did last week. At least 2 "high ranking" officials were contacted by members of this forum and who knows how many others in immigration are talking about this subject over their lunch period or how high the discussion has gone..

The ball is rolling and if we as a group can create more interest without being a thorn in their side now is a good time to do that.

Artisan, post 117, "He considers that it is crucial that the Immigration Police see the face of anyone who is staying in the Country on an extended basis"

If you go back to my post #104 you will see that that is exactly what i proposed. "That once a year you report with your wife/child to prove you are still married for the first 5 years (this helps to cut out the marry for visa they worry about)."

If you are serious about a visa change Do Something About It. Sitting at our computers and bitching to each other accomplishes squat. Maybe we will not get what we want, but possibly the seed will be sown and something positive will sprout. Remember the saying " The pen is mightier than the sword"?

FYI:- The correct address of the Prime Minister is...

The Prime Minister’s Office

Government House,

1 Thanon Nakhon Pathom,

Bangkok 10300

Fax: 02-282-5131.

Pattaya Today has been given the wrong information. In fact, the announcement by the head of Pattaya’s immigration bureau, Pol. Col Ittipol Ittisarnronnachai, is incorrect. There is no law or regulation that allows such five-year visas to be issued. The reference to providing evidence of "living" in Thailand for the past three consecutive years is one of the prerequisites for qualifying to apply for a residence permit. Perhaps this is where the confusion has arisen. However, a residence permit is permanent -- it is not just a five-year visa.

Supat Skonchai

Skonchai & Oliver Law Office