Sole Proprietorship For Farang

fnprop

Digging through everything on this forum (and others), I can't pin down any answers. How do I set up a sole proprietorship? What are the requirements and where do I go for business name registration (d/b/a), business license.

I'm a farang and want to start a sole proprietorship. Heck, call it a som tam cart, because there are no prohibitions on this particular business in the foreign business act.

Won't need VAT, as the projected income will never hit the required level. Already have a personal tax ID number in LoS.

Visa and extensions don't depend on this business. And adding the business to the existing WP is not a problem. (Despite the horror stories usually promulgated here with the "definitive" advice, my current one has me authorized for two separate, concurrent employers and covers 4 provinces).

Don't have a Thai wife, and not interested in spending 25000 baht for an Amity registration. Total start-up investment is less than 20k baht.

Is this just a registration at the local tesabaan, or does it still need to get the name done through the ministry of commerce?

thx in advance.

AFAIK, only a Thai citizen can form a sole proprietorship - and that Thai national can then employ 1 farang for every 4 Thai staff that are registered as employees of that person, (or only 2 Thai staff if you are married to the sole-trader).

Any type of serving job - ie a somtam cart is a forbidden employment for a farang.

Even if these are the rules to employ a farang in a sole-trader, they are not always followed by the Labour Office. I tried to get a WP to work in a sole-trader hotel business but was refused on 2 occasions on the bais that it was a sole-trader and not a limited company.

Simon

AFAIK, only a Thai citizen can form a sole proprietorship - and that Thai national can then employ 1 farang for every 4 Thai staff that are registered as employees of that person, (or only 2 Thai staff if you are married to the sole-trader).

Any type of serving job - ie a somtam cart is a forbidden employment for a farang.

Even if these are the rules to employ a farang in a sole-trader, they are not always followed by the Labour Office. I tried to get a WP to work in a sole-trader hotel business but was refused on 2 occasions on the bais that it was a sole-trader and not a limited company.

Simon

What about LLP (Limited Liability Partnership). 2 farang and 1 thai. Is it possible?