What's In A Name?

KevinHunt

I was telling my my mate Pedr at The Olde Bell (British Pub* on Loi Kroh - Rd  - just past the seedy bit  - nice place ), about the many funny replies to the now famous (?) Water Bait thread on TV and he remarked that he was surprised that I use my real name. 

I replied that I didn't think of using anyone else's and after all why would I hide behind another name. As the philosopher Popeye says - I Yam What I Yam. Besides, who's name should I use? Ian McDonald's (why not, he isn't using it, I hear you say)?. Then I thought well that's probably not his real name anyway, and I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm Scottish!!!

So , to the gist of this thread - why are you (if you are) using another name and is there some hidden meaning behind it? 

For example I thought that 'Up the Os' was subtley (or not) trying to tell us that he was a bit more adventurous under the blankets than most (I hope) of us when in fact he was trying to tell us that he supports Leyton Orient (who's chant is - yes you guessed it  ..'Up The O's). Personally, if I was a Leyton Orient fan I'd be more concerned at concealing that than anything else.

Anyway , I imagine that Cobrasnakenecktie is a Bo Diddlley/ Blues fan (who, of any interest, isn't?)

I now know that Peraceblondie isn't a girl!!! ( but maybe he wants to be one - nothing wrong with that).

and Blinky Bill is trying to tell us that under that huge, ugly Aussie frame he is just a cuddly Koala wanting to be hugged.

So what about the rest of you? 

Are you shy, on the run (you guys in Pattaya need not reply - we already know) or just plain secrtetive?

* That's a sneaky way of letting people think that you're English when in fact you're either Welsh (as he is - nothing wrong with that) or Scottish (I'm sayng nothing).

Edited by KevinHUNT

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still have some google results floating about from pre 2001 under my real name.

Pandorras box this internet malarky... I spent 4 years building up a company in the search engine ratings. After it was disbanded 2 years ago, the text references/links to it are still growing.. as new data companies copy anothers data... :o

I tried mass mailing to stem the tide.. but still 428 websites to go... i give up.

Edited by SomNamNah

a lot of username choice on internet fora is linked to anonymity, be it from stalkers, curious other halves monitoring partners' habits or colleagues / bosses. i knew of a guy back in london who spammed all day on assorted fora under his actual name and using a photo of himself as his avatar. this was then used by his bosses as evidence to sack him.

incidentally kevin, what's with the sentence case 'Kevin' and upper case 'HUNT'?

a lot of username choice on internet fora is linked to anonymity, be it from stalkers, curious other halves monitoring partners' habits or colleagues / bosses. i knew of a guy back in london who spammed all day on assorted fora under his actual name and using a photo of himself as his avatar. this was then used by his bosses as evidence to sack him.

incidentally kevin, what's with the sentence case 'Kevin' and upper case 'HUNT'?

Actually it was just a plain old 'caps lock' mistake and I didn't know how to change it. 

Then when somebody mentioned that 'all caps' means you're shouting (which I find funny) I thought 'I might as well leave it if it's going to annoy the nutters'. I'm not saying you're a nutter (you don't look like one) but there are two or three on this forum. We all know who they aRE RIGHT? .  OOP'S DONE IT AGAIN.  

Sorted. 

... So what about the rest of you?

Are you shy, on the run (you guys in Pattaya need not reply - we already know) or just plain secrtetive?

What my nickname means is explained here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2316633

Using a pseudonym is a common practice on boards, and a good one in my humble opinion. You might not always say (write) what you actually think when dealing with sensitive matters or topics (such as prostitution or politics, for instance) if you are using your real full name...

I replied that I didn't think of using anyone else's and after all why would I hide behind another name. As the philosopher Popeye says - I Yam What I Yam. Besides, who's name should I use? Ian McDonald's (why not, he isn't using it, I hear you say)?. Then I thought well that's probably not his real name anyway, and I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm Scottish!!!

"Kevin" doesn't exactly suggest fits of uncontrollable laughter. I mean selling sports shoes doesn't mean you're a bad person. And a quirky sense of humour, although always fraught with the danger of offending the vulnerable,is not really a major disability you need to conceal by using your real name.

Ever thought of revealing your true self by using another? Coco, Chuckles, Buttons, Harpo, Yorick?

Actually it was just a plain old 'caps lock' mistake and I didn't know how to change it. 

Then when somebody mentioned that 'all caps' means you're shouting (which I find funny) I thought 'I might as well leave it if it's going to annoy the nutters'. I'm not saying you're a nutter (you don't look like one) but there are two or three on this forum. We all know who they aRE RIGHT? .  OOP'S DONE IT AGAIN.  

Sorted. 

"but there are two or three on this forum" (nutters)

I think that you are being very kind Kevin. I would have thought that there must be at least 2 or 3 thousand "nutters" on the forum.

As for my nick it is to remind me to try not to upset too many of the overly sensitive posters on the forum. "nuff said" as Bernie used to say :o

Edited by john b good

mine is a long standing nickname, no, not because I ever worked on the docks :o but because of a numbering system in a two-way radio centric workplace... under certain circumstances "four-three" sounded like "wharfie" and then someone misspelled it and it stuck... :D besides, as many have already mentioned, a degree of anonymity is desireable (oh... my business website is in my profile?... dam_n... forgot about that :D)

Mine's my boy.

As already mentioned, using your real, full name on a forum is just not a good idea, but hey, think yourself lucky mum and dad didn't name you Mike! :o

:D I thought TV made him put in "evin" otherwise ????? Mixed company

ya know :D

My real name is SUE, how do you do. Dad was a joker, loved Johnny Cash,

its been uphill ever since. Guess he wanted a girl.

Papajohn was given to me by my Thai friends, Kinda like it.

Not my real name for obvious reasons- using your real name is risky. Not that one has anything to hide just that one does not want to be found posting on a public forum. Who knows what repercussions it may have in the future? Having said that I better change my av....

Mine's my boy.

As already mentioned, using your real, full name on a forum is just not a good idea, but hey, think yourself lucky mum and dad didn't name you Mike! :o

This is absolutely, 100% true. Honest. Cross my heart and hope you die.

That 'Khunt' and 'Mike Hunt' joke sort of thing - I hadn't heard that since I was in school and even then not beyond second grade.

Then I joined ThaiVisa and it's all I hear. I don't know why - any theories?

I honestly used to think that no-one over the age of 12 thought that was funny. It doesn't bother me but it's funny to hear it after all these years.

Anyway, maybe I should tone it down a bit on my posts - they must be way over the head of most people here, right?

Edited by KevinHUNT

:o Mike Hunt, think about it. Up there with Ben Dover, Wayne Kerr and Tess Tickle. Have you tried to Google your name Kevin? Some interesting hits. Apparently you are quite famous. Edited by Aijin

:o Mike Hunt, think about it. Up there with Ben Dover, Wayne Kerr and Tess Tickle. Have you tried to Google your name Kevin? Some interesting hits. Apparently you are quite famous.

World famous in Chiang Mai. They've never heard of me in Uttaradit but I'm world famous here.

Sorry , I forgot. I'll say it from now on, now that I know who I'm dealing with ......

'That was a joke'. 

Edited by KevinHUNT

Don't forget Eric Hunt.

For the CM forum real names are fine discussing hamburgers and cats, but some also like to get into news forums where criticizing the army, the politicians and other posters is the norm. Also occasionally get too close to things that can get you jailed in this country. As such a "certain" amount of anonymity feels better.

:o Mike Hunt, think about it. Up there with Ben Dover, Wayne Kerr and Tess Tickle. Have you tried to Google your name Kevin? Some interesting hits. Apparently you are quite famous.

World famous in Chiang Mai. They've never heard of me in Uttaradit but I'm world famous here.

Sorry , I forgot. I'll say it from now on, now that I know who I'm dealing with ......

'That was a joke'.

May I have a glass of H2O. please ? Now that I know who I'm dealing with :D

minge.jpg

Lisa Minge, Gynecologist

hymen.jpg

Dick Hymen

Pianist

wankintoo.jpg

Wan Kin Too, alumnus of Wah Yan College, Hong Kong

gaysearch.jpg

Gay Search, Radio Times Gardening Editor

suk.jpg

Dong Suk Yuk

Speech Information Processing Laboratory,

Department of Computer Science, Korea University

cory.jpg

Cory Butz, Associate Professor

Department of Computer Science

University of Regina

tits.jpg

André L. Tits

Professor, Electrical Engineering and the Institute for Systems Research

mycock.jpg

Councillor Barrie Mycock - Churnet Valley

gaylord.jpg

Mitch Gaylord, Olympic Gymnast

bender.jpg

Welcome Bender

Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology

Harvard

I feel sorry for these poor people. :o

Actually, unless one has a very rare name, it is quite safe to use ones real name on forums provided one takes care not to reveal too many other pinpointing details about oneself.

Try to google "Kevin Hunt" and the only thing you'll learn is that 'kevin hunt' is an extremely common name. It seems that the most famous of the kind is a jazz musician. You may even google "kevin hunt red lion chiang mai" and you'd still have to put in an awfull lot of tedious work to track the guy down.

satiariyan

Do Thai surnames have meanings such as '-son' in Nordic countries, Mac in scotland, -fitz, -evich/aya (russian)

I understand that Sino-Thai's can be distinguished by the surname easily..

Most UK surnames come from a trade, or ethnic group.

I think my english surname (fairly common one) old Germanic/Nordic patronymic -ing

The other part of my surname comes from an ancestors nickname in 1400's?

My friend in the UK, has actually met Mr Bastard from which the phrase comes from.. ( a noble descendant of William the Conqueror 1066)

thanks for any insight

Edited by SomNamNah

~

Mine comes from my radio callsign when I flew medical evacuation helicopter for 18 months during America's war in Vietnam and I became accustomed to responding to it.

It is also my biker handle and, while I do not use my real name (alto I gladly hand it out when responding to PM's and such), my avatar is a real pic of me in my biker togs. I figger if someone wishes to shoot me on sight because of something I posted, at least they know what I look like.

Ken (boring, right?) :o