Militants Planning Large-scale Attacks In Bangkok

george

Militants planning large-scale attacks in Bangkok: security source

BANGKOK: --Islamic militants were planning large-scale attacks in Bangkok and southern Thai provinces in January to mark the first anniversary of a violent separatist insurgency, a security source said.

The attacks would be staged in the five southernmost provinces of Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat, Songkhla and Satun, as well as the capital Bangkok in order to promote the struggle for an independent Muslim state in the south of the predominantly Buddhist kingdom, he said.

"According to their plan the large-scale attacks, by means of remote control bombs in five provinces and Bangkok, would be prolonged and severe, as they have stockpiled lots of ammunition," the security source, assigned to work on southern violence, told AFP on condition of anonymity.

"The reason why they have to stage attacks in Bangkok is to prevent the central government from sending additional troops to the south," he added.

The attacks were expected after the new year to mark the first anniversary of a bold January 4 raid by masked assailants on a military base in Narathiwat, he said.

The raid saw the assailants kill four soldiers and steal hundreds of assault rifles, while militants believed to be linked to the same movement torched about 20 state schools in the south on the same night.

The event was widely seen as re-kindling a sporadic separatist insurgency that has rumbled for decades in the south, parts of which were an independent kingdom before being annexed by Thailand in 1902.

Some 560 people have died in the violence this year.

--AFP 2004-12-17

PM dismisses reports of unrest in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Prime MinisterThaksin Shinawatra has dismissed reports that militants in the south plan to create unrest in Bangkok.

Mr. Thaksin told journalists that reports of plans to sabotage the capital were unfounded and city's residents should not panic.

More suspects behind the violent unrest in the South are expected to be arrested soon as officials have sufficient evidence, he said.

“Most southerners are good people and want to live in peace while a handful of evil people continue to frighten the good ones,” Mr. Thaksin said.

The government will take tough action against the bad people, the PM promised.

Mr. Thaksin told the reporters that he had not yet seen the independent report on the Tak Bai incident in which 78 Muslim protestors died in police custody.

The PM said he would prefer to meet the panel members before disclosing the report’s conclusion.

The probe, conducted by an independent panel, was transparent and the government would respect the inquiry, the premier said.

According to reports, the independent inquiry found that less than ten senior officials were responsible for crowd control which resulted in seven demonstrators being killed and 78 others suffocated to death.

--TNA 2004-12-18

ABC TV in Aus, reported that Thailand was the most violent place in S.E.A. due to extra judicial killing of drug dealers and persons killed in custody since January and the murders of locals by Islamic seperatists.

Has Malaysia had much trouble as of late? I remember reading that these militants wanted to take both southern Thailand and northern Malaysia and create an islamic state from it.

cv

“Most southerners are good people and want to live in peace while a handful of evil people continue to frighten the good ones,” Mr. Thaksin said.

The government will take tough action against the bad people, the PM promised.

I didn't know he was into self-flagellation :o

Militants planning large-scale attacks in Bangkok: security source

BANGKOK: --Islamic militants were planning large-scale attacks in Bangkok and southern Thai provinces in January to mark the first anniversary of a violent separatist insurgency, a security source said.

The attacks would be staged in the five southernmost provinces of Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat, Songkhla and Satun, as well as the capital Bangkok in order to promote the struggle for an independent Muslim state in the south of the predominantly Buddhist kingdom, he said.

"According to their plan the large-scale attacks, by means of remote control bombs in five provinces and Bangkok, would be prolonged and severe, as they have stockpiled lots of ammunition," the security source, assigned to work on southern violence, told AFP on condition of anonymity.

"The reason why they have to stage attacks in Bangkok is to prevent the central government from sending additional troops to the south," he added.

The attacks were expected after the new year to mark the first anniversary of a bold January 4 raid by masked assailants on a military base in Narathiwat, he said.

The raid saw the assailants kill four soldiers and steal hundreds of assault rifles, while militants believed to be linked to the same movement torched about 20 state schools in the south on the same night.

The event was widely seen as re-kindling a sporadic separatist insurgency that has rumbled for decades in the south, parts of which were an independent kingdom before being annexed by Thailand in 1902.

Some 560 people have died in the violence this year.

--AFP 2004-12-17

:D

See my post in Travel Thailand section. This is almost direct qoute from source I mentioned.......HOWEVER....nothing was mentioned about Bangkok. Seems like news people got the info and added stuff about Bangkok to make it more sensational. Original info said possible terroist attacks in southern provinces....with timing around January anniversary of start of troubles...and NO MENTION of Bangkok.

:o

Has Malaysia had much trouble as of late? I remember reading that these militants wanted to take both southern Thailand and northern Malaysia and create an islamic state from it.

cv

No it hasn't, but anything is possible unfortunately......

Thursday December 16, 11:54 AM

Australian government says it has intelligence that terrorists are ready to carry out attack in Indonesia

With many Australians planning Christmas vacations in Indonesia, their government is warning that terrorists are ready to carry out an attack there, possibly targeting a Hilton hotel.

Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade issued a statement saying it had "received credible new information suggesting terrorists are ready to carry out an attack shortly in Indonesia, possibly targeting a Hilton hotel," adding "Other targets cannot be ruled out."

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said: "This is credible information from intelligence. We wouldn't be passing it on if we weren't particularly concerned about the information."

Indonesia, and particularly the island of Bali, is a popular destination for Australian tourists, many of whom travel there during this country's summer vacation period.

New Zealand and Britain issued similar warnings.

"We continue to receive reports that terrorists in the region are planning attacks against a range of targets," New Zealand's foreign ministry said in a statement issued late Wednesday.

Indonesian authorities on Thursday ordered a nationwide security crackdown.

"We are doing our utmost to increase our vigilance," said Jakarta Police spokesman Ciptono, who goes by a single name. "In light of the threat, the national police chief has ordered the Christmas and New Year's security operation, which was supposed to start Saturday, to begin immediately."

Ciptono was referring to the police's annual Christmas security operations, which normally involve the deployment of tens of thousands of officers to public places, including shopping malls, churches and hotels.

The Hilton hotel chain has three hotels in Indonesia; in the capital, Jakarta; on the tourist island of Bali; and in the industrial city of Surabaya on Java island.

Jakarta Hilton International general manager Robert Ramay said he had been advised by Australian Ambassador David Ritchie of a threat but had been given no specific information.

The hotel would provide lists of Australian, American and New Zealand guests to the relevant embassies but would not give a general warning to its more than 1,000 guests.

"It's very scary for us," Ramay told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio Thursday. "We will not notify the guests ourselves. I don't believe we should be panicking the guests at all."

The hotel's public relations manager Shakira Tamayanti said security at Hilton hotels in Indonesia had been boosted since the 2002 terror bombings on Bali island that killed 202 people, including 88 Australians.

Australian Defense Minister Robert Hill was due to arrive in Jakarta on Thursday for a two-day trip. His visit was going ahead as planned.

On Sept. 9, terrorists attacked Australia's Embassy in Jakarta, killing 10 people outside the heavily fortified building.

ABC TV in Aus, reported that Thailand was the most violent place in S.E.A. due to extra judicial killing of drug dealers and persons killed in custody since January and the murders of locals by Islamic seperatists.

cv

If there were, you likely wouldn't be reading about it in Malaysian newspapers.... Thailand possibly gets the rep because of it's status as among the most 'free' press, thus more of this stuff gets reported to the public... I'd say Indonesia is way ahead of Thailand in extra-judicial killings, according to my experiences there some years ago, and continuing reports from friends still living there... But, with all such news suppressed, it's tough to judge. I certainly feel safer in Thailand than I would in Cambodia, Lao, Burma, Philippines, Indonesia and Vietnam....

Edited by Ajarn

Stay away from World Trade Center, Siam Center, and head on over to Pat pong.. :D

If they follow the blueprint of some extremist groups they may actually aim for places they consider obscene. Can just imagine one of these idiots getting an extra thrill knowing how many western families found out their hubby/dad/gramps/son, etc was blown up in a brothel.

Who'd notice a van full of explosives on khao san road?

:o

cv

cv

If there were, you likely wouldn't be reading about it in Malaysian newspapers.... Thailand possibly gets the rep because of it's status as among the most 'free' press, thus more of this stuff gets reported to the public... I'd say Indonesia is way ahead of Thailand in extra-judicial killings, according to my experiences there some years ago, and continuing reports from friends still living there... But, with all such news suppressed, it's tough to judge. I certainly feel safer in Thailand than I would in Cambodia, Lao, Burma, Philippines, Indonesia and Vietnam....

This post post from ajarn is absolutely spot on. In Thailand at least you can read about it publicly. I recently relocated here from Indonesia, and their Army's decades of brutality are public knowledge there. Look at East Timor, Irian Jaya, Ambon and Malukku. Now more recently in Aceh. They've thrown a complete security blanket around Aceh, and only those who know the Indonesian army's reputation can guess what's happening there.

There're worse places than Thailand for violence and killing, believe me.

Edited by johnrh

I certainly feel safer in Thailand than I would in Cambodia, Lao, Burma, Philippines, Indonesia and Vietnam....

I agree with your list until you put Vietnam on it. I have been there 4 separate trips and I feel it is the safest country in SEA. The Commies in charge just do not tolerate criminals and those that victimize tourist are really dealt with harshly.

Update:

Militants plan to attack Thai tourist resorts: report

BANGKOK: -- Documents found in the house of a fugitive leader of Thailand's Islamic insurgency suggested extremists were plotting attacks next year at tourist resorts across the country, a senior Thai security official said.

The separatist rebels also planned to turn three Muslim-dominated provinces in Thailand's south into a base for international terrorist groups, the official told the Associated Press Thursday.

Gen. Kitti Rattanachaya, a senior security adviser to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said the documents show that in 2005, the militants plan to attack "soft targets" such as the tropical beach resorts of Pattaya and Phuket. These destinations draw tourists from around the world.

There have been repeated warnings of plans by militants to target tourists in Asia since the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on the Unites States.

Islamic extremists with suspected links to al-Qaeda bombed a discotheque in a Bali resort in October 2002, killing almost 200 people. The victims were mostly Western tourists including two Canadians.

The attack also caused havoc with Indonesia's tourism industry.

Kitti said the seized documents indicated the separatists want to intensify their fight against the Buddhist central government next year.

The plans indicated the insurgents want to broaden a conflict in the south that has killed almost 600 people this year, fuelling concerns their cause was gaining support among Islamic extremists outside the country.

"The situation will be terrifying as the terrorists open war on all fronts to divert attention from the southern area," Kitti, a former army commander in the south, told the AP.

Thai officials have said previously that the separatists have threatened to attack tourists sites, but have not said where the information came from.

The documents were seized earlier this year from the house of Masae Useng, a former Islamic school teacher who the government accuses of masterminding a separatist plan for Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat provinces, which border Malaysia.

--CBC News 2004-12-23

cv

This post post from ajarn is absolutely spot on. In Thailand at least you can read about it publicly. I recently relocated here from Indonesia, and their Army's decades of brutality are public knowledge there. Look at East Timor, Irian Jaya, Ambon and Malukku. Now more recently in Aceh. They've thrown a complete security blanket around Aceh, and only those who know the Indonesian army's reputation can guess what's happening there.

There're worse places than Thailand for violence and killing, believe me.

Ya Taksins approach is to fight fire with fire,,, something these turban winding camel jokeys bum bandits(sheite muslums ) can understand,,, I appologise to the suni's :o:D

How long have the insurgencies in the southern Philippines and Aceh in Sumatra been going on? Decades! The issue of increased autonomy set things rollings and then when all the killing started, the thirst for revenge got its own ugly momentum going; And it's been going on constantly ever since! We've now passed 500 dead in the South and Tak Bai , according to today's Nation has been described by the Thai Senate as a "crime" condemning the "inhuman treatment" handed out.

I think the leaders of the southern rebellion have thus far shown incredible restraint given that it's their business to get their revenge , destabilise the area and terrorize the population. I'm amazed that bombs haven't yet gone off in Phuket in particular, the jewel in the tourist dollar crown and the hub of 90% of investment in the south. Perhaps keeping all the troubles locally ie Pattani , Yala and Narathiwat is their intention. Maybe one day we'll even see increased automony there ie more Muslim civil servants making local decisions and the sons and daughters of Muslim families getting into universities etc and able more to contribute in a big way to the future of the country.

I know I'm making some very unpopular statements here.