Treatment

ukrules

I read an article recently about a Cardiologist from France who was a serious drinker. After reading that the drug Baclofen stopped a Cocaine addicts cravings he thought he'd give it a go.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=alcoho...perimental-drug

In the above article they mention a study which shows negative results, however there have been other double blind randomised studies which suggest some success, like the one reported here :

http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/conte...stract/37/5/504

There are many interesting links at the bottom of the article.

Hope this helps someone

Every year at this time of year a new wonder drug to help alcoholics is reported in the media in the west. This is a well reported and often criticised phenomena in the press, but reporters argue that these stories sell well at a time of year when so many are drinking heavily.

Addiction has pshychological as well as physical components. The physical symptoms can be treated by a variety of drugs and the muscle relaxant baclofen might be a nice addition to this group of treatments.

Unfortunately the reasons why many people turn to drugs or drink can't be cured by another drug- at least in my experience. These reasons for the original fall into addiction will still be there once the person has entered recovery and in my experience this is the reason why so many addicts/drunks fall off the wagon.

Edited by garro

Sigmund Freud was the first to discover Cocaine could be used to stop Opiate addiction successfully. Many years later I repeated his experiments over a long period of time. Yes, the crack did indeed "cure" my heroin habit!

AA and a thousand friends all over the world have been helping me for 14 years now. It's been a lot of fun, good luck to all!

• 1 month later...
Addiction has pshychological as well as physical components. The physical symptoms can be treated by a variety of drugs and the muscle relaxant baclofen might be a nice addition to this group of treatments.

Unfortunately the reasons why many people turn to drugs or drink can't be cured by another drug- at least in my experience. These reasons for the original fall into addiction will still be there once the person has entered recovery and in my experience this is the reason why so many addicts/drunks fall off the wagon.

I agree Garro.

My alcoholism is/was three-fold - Physical, Psychological and Spiritual.

There was a drug that took away the physical cravings - Naltrexone - but I never got sober.

There was a drug that helped the psychological problems - valium - but I never got sober.

• 3 months later...

maybe helpful .........

http://www.thamkrabok-monastery.org/

I Caution the Concern with substitution of one drug for another.. is was not a option for me .

Sobriety too me was a gift from God... 16 years now !

Just my view and opinon..not intended to insult anyone. But theirs no wonder drug that works better then

a program that fits your addiction and or recovery.. recovery is a selfish road..no matter what others think and feel , if what your doing is working keep working it, theirs no rules its YOUR recovery .

• 4 weeks later...

I've been doing some great work with hypnosis and alcoholism. It addresses the spiritual and psychological side of the addiction.

My approach is simple: people drink because they don't want to feel bad. It's amazing, but in hypnosis we can go back to the root causes of the 'bad feelings' and release them. Sometimes this can be as simple as being a baby, wanting to be picked up and held by mother, but the baby is ignored. Many of these causes happen before the age of 5.

Now, I'm not sure that all these memories are completely accurate; there's no way to say without some kind of independant verification. Really that's not the point. The images/memories are a powerful representation of emotional pain that can be released in deep trance.

This work is cathartic - which means that while in trance, my clients my often begin to shake, or there body might begin to hurt, or they may even start to sob and cry very dramatically.

When it's over, they feel good. The urge to drink is less, and their sense of 'aliveness' and spiritual connection has grown. Sometimes dramatic results can happen in a few sessions, sometimes it takes more time.

Much of this work is based of of hypnotherapy that was done after WWII, in order to help people with battle fatigue (now called post-truamatic stress disorder). It works, it's proven to work.

I enjoy the work I do, and this post in not really meant as an ad... I just want to show that there are other paths that can help.

I agree Garro.

My alcoholism is/was three-fold - Physical, Psychological and Spiritual.

There was a drug that took away the physical cravings - Naltrexone - but I never got sober.

There was a drug that helped the psychological problems - valium - but I never got sober.