Short-term Condo Rental Suggestions?

Steve2UK

Hi All,

I'm planning to come to Chiang Mai in mid-January and stay for a few weeks - mainly to reconnoitre everything I'll need for a permanent move later in 2005 (basically - just as soon as I can get it done! :D ).

Prefer not to stay in a hotel/guesthouse all that time (apart from the cost, it's not a real reflection of what LIVING there is all about). I'd appreciate suggestions of a 1/2 bedroom condo (I'll be on my own so I actually only need 1 bedroom) to rent for that period. Furnished/equipped, obviously - and probably needs to be fairly central for ready access to daily necessities; having said that, I'll certainly rent some wheels to get me around all the places/areas I'll want to visit. I'll also want internet access for my laptop from the condo - dial-up's probably OK and I guess I can do it with a pre-paid card on a regular line? Laptop's also equipped for wireless connection, BTW.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions/offers - I look forward to meeting you happy CM-folk face to face while I'm there :o .

Steve

When I rented short term to look for a place in CM I rented a house short term at the rate of about 12000 a month, outside of CM. It's hard to imagine leaving CM with a favorable impression if I had stayed downtown. Just my biased opinion. So below is my suggestion.... which is not at all what you were thinking about.

So if your renting a car anyway, this place that has a lot of foreign home owners who sometimes lease out their houses might have a house for short term Tel # 05393035 (Tanaboon) and you can talk to a lot of foreigners that live here . It's close to the end of the line for the city bus also. so you don't have to drive to look around downtown if that's where you want to live. For internet access there I had to go down the street a bit. It's all easy.

cheers,

cm451

When I rented short term to look for a place in CM I rented a house short term at the rate of about 12000 a month, outside of CM.  It's hard to imagine leaving CM with a favorable impression if I had stayed downtown. Just my biased opinion. So below is my suggestion.... which is not at all what you were thinking about.

So if your renting a car anyway, this place that has a lot of foreign home owners who sometimes lease out their houses might have a house for short term  Tel # 05393035 (Tanaboon) and you can talk to a lot of foreigners that live here .  It's close to the end of the line for the city bus also. so you don't have to drive to look around downtown if that's where you want to live. For internet access there I had to go down the street a bit. It's all easy.

cheers,

cm451

Hi cm451 - and thanks very much for the tip. Thinking about it, you make a very good point - I was last in Chiang Mai for just a couple of weeks in '96 and I gather the place has got a LOT busier/more built-up since then.

I found the Tanaboon website and it gives a 'phone number as (053) 293-035. Is that correct or have the codes changed?

In the long term, I want to live in a house, anyhow - I only thought of the condo route in terms of convenience for a visit of a few weeks. So, I'll modify my original request and say that it (condo or house) needs to be not TOO far from the centre. As you clearly recognise, I do need it "easy" :o - but I also don't want to be worn-down by BKK-style congestion etc.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to let me benefit from your experience.

Cheers.

Steve

I'm not sure on your # because they grew so fast they had promised a phone line to someone who built a house and ended up giving them one of their own phone lines because one for the home owner was not available.

I do know the office cell line is 015301132. Noi usually carries that phone and she speaks English ok. The house that I think is open (and the cheapest one) is "Mikes house". It is the "pretty" one on the website with Jacuzzi tub, great master bedroom, full kitchen, full furnished, and fireplace for 12,000 ? I was just there today visiting my friend and it still looked empty. People usually rent it while building houses out there.

We now rent down the road for about 5000 a month long term (not in Tanaboon) so will be glad to show you around if you'd like. we are close to the Hang Dong Lotus by the way.

Cheers,

J

I'm not sure on your # because they grew so fast they had promised a phone line to someone who built a house and ended up giving them one of their own phone lines because one for the home owner was not available.

I do know the office cell line is 015301132. Noi usually carries that phone and she speaks English ok.  The house that I think is open (and the cheapest one) is "Mikes house". It is the "pretty" one on the website with Jacuzzi tub, great master bedroom, full kitchen, full furnished, and fireplace for 12,000 ? I was just there today visiting my friend and it still looked empty. People usually rent it while building houses out there. 

We now rent down the road for about 5000 a month long term (not in Tanaboon) so will be glad to show you around if you'd like. we are close to the Hang Dong Lotus by the way.

Cheers,

J

Hi again J - I've sent you a PM

Steve

When I first came here, I stayed in a couple of guest houses inside the moat. I feel I learned more about 'real living' in those situations than I ever did in the years since living outside of that area. That's the best part of Chiang Mai. At least it was for me.. :o

Btw, learn some basic language as soon as you can. Opens up lots more doors and smiles :D

When I first came here, I stayed in a couple of guest houses inside the moat. I feel I learned more about 'real living' in those situations than I ever did in the years since living outside of that area. That's the best part of Chiang Mai. At least it was for me.. :o

Btw, learn some basic language as soon as you can. Opens up lots more doors and smiles  :D

Thanks, Ajarn - also a good suggestion. During my previous visits, I loved the whole area inside the moat........ exploring backstreets day and night as well as the usual venues; by contrast, I think I only went to the Night Market once - for a look.

My basic language is probably a bit rusty since my last spell in Thailand (2000), but after starting a couple of days with some good khao tom , I hope it will come back OK...... I certainly raised some huge smiles with some of my tones :D

When I first came here, I stayed in a couple of guest houses inside the moat. I feel I learned more about 'real living' in those situations than I ever did in the years since living outside of that area. That's the best part of Chiang Mai. At least it was for me.. :D

Btw, learn some basic language as soon as you can. Opens up lots more doors and smiles  :D

Thanks, Ajarn - also a good suggestion. During my previous visits, I loved the whole area inside the moat........ exploring backstreets day and night as well as the usual venues; by contrast, I think I only went to the Night Market once - for a look.

My basic language is probably a bit rusty since my last spell in Thailand (2000), but after starting a couple of days with some good khao tom , I hope it will come back OK...... I certainly raised some huge smiles with some of my tones :D

During that time, I used to practice my Thai on ladies at the Sompet Market (inside) Sort of a captive audience for the neophyte Thai learner fresh from his AUA class, and I'm pretty sure they were laughing with me :o

Have a great time, wherever your body finds you. :D