Warm Clothing And Blankets.

konjianghai

Anyone have old blankets or used warm clothing you dont need and wish to helpout poor prisoners in this time of year can contact the prison at this number 0-5317-0551 follow by 108. Or you can drop off your things at the location.

Chiang Rai Prison, 222 Moo 3 Tambol Doi Hang Amphur Muang, Chiang Rai 57000

Thank you in advance for your nice input.

Here are some pictures of the prison.

http://www.oknation.net/blog/print.php?id=138747

19092007571.jpg1.jpg

Entrace of New prison

Pic01.jpg

Main building

2.jpg1.jpg

Entrance of old prison which is converted into a city park.

19092007576.jpg1.jpg

Old prison become city park and museum.

1.jpg1.jpg

Old prison wall

19092007573.jpg1.jpg

19092007572.jpg1.jpg

Old prison outlook tower

Pic02.jpg

Inside new prison

Pic04.jpg

Pic03.jpg

Pic17.jpg

Pic10.jpg

Pic15.jpg

Pic14.jpg

Pic07.jpg

Pic08.jpg

Umm...makes me wonder are they poor prisoners? Should i pity them? Well for the sake of humanitarian purpose i still feel they need warm clothing just like anyone else.

Department of Corrections should have take care of this for the first place but no wonder they didnt since CR already have shortages of blankets this year. :o

Anyone who has worked in a jail or prison or voluntered to help educate inmates realizes that very few of them are "evil". They are mostly victims of a rough background or an impulsive decision or bad luck. There aren't a whole lot of Charles Mansons in there.

Most of them certainly don't deserve to freeze to death.

Edited by Ulysses G.

.......of a rough background or an impulsive decision or bad luck.

most people who choose to break the law know exactly what they are doing and the risks they are taking , their only bad luck is in being caught.

millions of people from rough backgrounds never commit a crime in their life.

They are mostly victims

i always thought that the people beaten , robbed , cheated , raped , and killed were the victims , not the ones doing the beating , robbing etc.

I agree with you on anything violent, but only a very small proportion of criminals are there for violent crimes. Most have been convicted of property crimes. :o

millions of people from rough backgrounds never commit a crime in their life.

Never drove after drinking? Never thrown garbage on the street? Never cashed a check without enough funds to cover it? Never jay-walked? Never drank when they were underage? Never smoked a joint? Never smoked a cigarette when they were too young? Etc.

Everybody has commited crimes. :o

Never drove after drinking? Never thrown garbage on the street? Never cashed a check without enough funds to cover it? Never jay-walked? Never drank when they were underage? Never smoked a joint? Never smoked a cigarette when they were too young? Etc.

Everybody has commited crimes.

drink drivers , if caught , get severely punished , at least in europe , and i suspect in the usa.

jay walking underage drinking and smoking a joint are misdemeanors that rarely affect others , and not many countries jail these offenders , in those countries that do have draconian penalties for misdemeanors , well the penalties are well known and the choice to commit those misdemeanors is up to the culprit , knowing full well the risks they take.

as for property crimes , like vandalism , robbery , car theft etc. those crimes have an affect on others who for no fault of their own suffer losses , and the victims (and the rest of society , as potential victims ) are entitled to see the perpetrators punished , preferably by being removed from society ( with blankets provided !! ) for a while to ponder on the errors of their ways and make them think twice before re offending.

i make no apologies for belonging to the "hang 'em high" brigade.

Most prison systems have a "duty of care" towards inmates that they are legally bound to uphold.

I repeat, the sentence is to a term of incarceration, not a term of physical suffering.

Whether they deserve it or not is irrelevant, if we support a system that breaks the law and abuses or neglects people then we become like them.

Edited by sceadugenga

Most prison systems have a "duty of care" towards inmates that they are legally bound to uphold.

I repeat, the sentence is to a term of incarceration, not a term of physical suffering.

Whether they deserve it or not is irrelevant, if we support a system that breaks the law and abuses or neglects people then we become like them.

Obviously they dont have a duty of care. The pics show a new expensive prison so where are the clothes and blankets as they would have been catered for? Or did the gear or cash go else where.

Their family or friends can accomidate the scun bags.

They are mostly victims

i always thought that the people beaten , robbed , cheated , raped , and killed were the victims , not the ones doing the beating , robbing etc.

I agree with you on anything violent, but only a very small proportion of criminals are there for violent crimes. Most have been convicted of property crimes. :D

Most have been convicted of property crimes. What a statement. Is this not a serious offence.

The homes they rob and damage averages around 200,000 Bart. It causes heartache for the victims which sometimes takes months to get over the trauma. The loss of gold, Laptop, clothes, DVD. cameras. leather goods including clothing. Most dont have insurance and have to payfor the repairs to the doors, windows, roofing and any other point of entry. The kids of the family go through trauma as well for the loss of musical instruments and computer games etc. Give me a break. :o

Everybody has commited crimes.

drink drivers , if caught , get severely punished , at least in europe , and i suspect in the usa.

jay walking underage drinking and smoking a joint are misdemeanors that rarely affect others , and not many countries jail these offenders , in those countries that do have draconian penalties for misdemeanors , well the penalties are well known and the choice to commit those misdemeanors is up to the culprit , knowing full well the risks they take.

as for property crimes , like vandalism , robbery , car theft etc. those crimes have an affect on others who for no fault of their own suffer losses , and the victims (and the rest of society , as potential victims ) are entitled to see the perpetrators punished , preferably by being removed from society ( with blankets provided !! ) for a while to ponder on the errors of their ways and make them think twice before re offending.

i make no apologies for belonging to the "hang 'em high" brigade.

What you piss and moan about they only ask for used blankets and used warm clothes.Yes hang the blankets and clothes high after you washed them so they catch enough wind to dry

They are mostly victims

I agree with you on anything violent, but only a very small proportion of criminals are there for violent crimes. Most have been convicted of property crimes. :D

Most have been convicted of property crimes. What a statement. Is this not a serious offence.

The homes they rob and damage averages around 200,000 Bart. It causes heartache for the victims which sometimes takes months to get over the trauma. The loss of gold, Laptop, clothes, DVD. cameras. leather goods including clothing. Most dont have insurance and have to payfor the repairs to the doors, windows, roofing and any other point of entry. The kids of the family go through trauma as well for the loss of musical instruments and computer games etc. Give me a break. :o

I am not saying that they should not be punished. Believe me, being in prison does that. I just don't think that they should freeze to death! :D

Obviously they dont have a duty of care. The pics show a new expensive prison so where are the clothes and blankets as they would have been catered for? Or did the gear or cash go else where.

Having a little trouble reading this morning?

My post says that they have a legal obligation, it's written in black and white.

Whether or not it's upheld is irrelevant to what I'm saying, my point is that the abusers break the law as well.

Love your original and inventive take on spelling. :o

Having a little trouble reading this morning?

My post says that they have a legal obligation, it's written in black and white.

Whether or not it's upheld is irrelevant to what I'm saying, my point is that the abusers break the law as well.

Love your original and inventive take on spelling. :D

I got big hands and hit the wrong keys sometimes :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya scead.

I've read your stuff for a long time and generally (not always mind you) liked it.

I think this is one of the best posts you have made - and I applaud Ulysses for his support.

The way a nation treats its prisoners is a fine factor in judging its maturity, humanity etc etc and whoever said that years ago said it far better than I......!

Please! You folks who have been here less than my 14 years!! Listen up! Prisoners in Chiang Rai jail (nowhere else in Thailand to my knowledge) have been killed by cold, annually, for two decades! At least!!

Imagine trying to sleep on a cold concrete floor in tee shirt and shorts with a piece of cardboard under you IF YOU ARE LUCKY! And no water. And all the mosquitoes you can handle.

Scead you are right! These people (women in their seperate place as well as men remember) were sentenced, rightly or wrongly, to deprivation of liberty. NOT death on a cold stone floor.

If we have any humanity, we should try to help them.

Prison governors are moved around frequently, and in the past 10 years at least two successive CR govs have appealed publicly and personally for blankets. I think they were caring men, doing their best within a poor system.

Yes. They are convicted criminals. Rightly or wrongly. They are still human.

Are we?

Happy Christmas, everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
They are mostly victims

I am not saying that they should not be punished. Believe me, being in prison does that. I just don't think that they should freeze to death! :D

Freeze to death in Thailand? Are you joking?