Land Purchase In Issan

blue eyes

hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and have a Q.I see people talk about buying land.I thought that as a US citizen I was not allowed to own land in the kingdom.I hope I am wrong.I plan to retire with my Thai wife north of Korat and would like to build a home and own the property also.

Lovekindness to all, :o

Greg

hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and have a Q.I see people talk about buying land.I thought that as a US citizen I was not allowed to own land in the kingdom.I hope I am wrong.I plan to retire with my Thai wife north of Korat and would like to build a home and own the property also.

Lovekindness to all, :o

Greg

Unfortunately, no you cannot own land in Thailand. I think when you see people talking about buying land, they mean they are supplying the money to a Thai person to buy it in the Thai person's name. Maybe someday.

fortune_teller_sm_clr_d.gif

I am always buying land, its the old story, in my book as long as your wife and yourself are happy and in a good steady relationship, got a couple of kids, what the hel, the kids will benifit in the long run, i have been married for 10 years, and very happy, good thai family, never ripped me off, hel my sister in law has my atm card, to pay the bills when i am not in LOS, and also the land we have, gives us a small amount of money each year, we have about 70 rai and buying another 30 rai after xmas.

also, you can never lose when purchasing land, it is a good investment wherever it is. thats what i think......................good luck.

Edited by Thaicoon

I am always buying land, its the old story, in my book as long as your wife and yourself are happy and in a good steady relationship, got a couple of kids, what the hel, the kids will benifit in the long run, i have been married for 10 years....

also, you can never lose when purchasing land, it is a good investment wherever it is. thats what i think......................good luck.

Correction? "Your money" is always buying land. :o The "kids" thing makes some sense to me.

I personally would not say "never lose". I was previously married 10 years to a Thai, no kids (thank God) and I suddenly had to go away for a term (ie earn some more money). She found herself a young Thai boyfriend and in the end wouldn't give him up. My money had bought quite a bit of land in those 10 years and I'm sorry, but I would have to say that I now have indeed "lost this land"!

But one never to give up, I'm married to another Thai again (one year now) and things are great (so far, skeptic that I am). Built another house (again), but probably won't be buying (supplying the cash) any more land.

Happy Holidays.

there was a rumour once that if a farang is married with a Thai w/m, he could buy 1/4 rai to build a house on, unfortunaly this is/was a rumour. We (me and the misses) bought last April some land and at the Amphur they never heart about this rumour.

In fact my mother in law did, because my wife is living with me in the Netherlands and therefore she can not buy land aswellSo next time we go back Mom gives [/i]her land to us (eh ...my wife)

As frumau says, what happens if the wife dies ? I have a good Thai spouse (after 2 bad ones !) and we have been together 4 years. I not only speak Thai, but I can also read and write it. While I was learning to read and write it at night, a new guy joined our class. Older Brit, in his sixtees. Been here for years. House, land, car every-darn-thing in her name. Fine, except she got breast cancer and died. He was learning to speak and read Thai for the forthcoming law battle, as her family wanted to "see him off". Better than another Brit expat here in Changers a few years ago. Married his Thai, lived in UK. Built a house here. Retired to find her brother in it and no idea of leaving ! Big verbal fight for several days, then the expat was brutally murdered outside a 7/11 store. No, the cops did not find out who did it. TIT. Good luck in the land game !

As frumau says, what happens if the wife dies ?  I have a good Thai spouse  (after 2 bad ones !) and we have been together 4 years. I not only speak Thai, but I can also read and write it. While I was learning to read and write it at night, a new guy joined our class. Older Brit, in his sixtees. Been here for years. House, land, car every-darn-thing in her name. Fine, except she got breast cancer and died. He was learning to speak and read Thai for the forthcoming law battle, as her family wanted to "see him off". Better than another Brit expat here in Changers a few years ago. Married his Thai, lived in UK. Built a house here. Retired to find her brother in it and no idea of leaving ! Big verbal fight for several days, then the expat was brutally murdered outside a 7/11 store. No, the cops did not find out who did it. TIT. Good luck in the land game !

Interesting story and unfortunately believable. I don't think there's any good way to protect one's self from this potential problem so hopefully our wives outlive us all! :o

I was previously married 10 years to a Thai, no kids (thank God) and I suddenly had to go away for a term (ie earn some more money).  She found herself a young Thai boyfriend and in the end wouldn't give him up.  My money had bought quite a bit of land in those 10 years and I'm sorry, but I would have to say that I now have indeed "lost this land"!

This just goes to show why the "Company ownership" route is the only safe way to go.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey as I understand the "company route" is really expinsave if you are only trying to get it to live on.

Mine costs 15-20,000 baht a year in fees.

A small sum for peace of mind!!

I think people may find that such land ownership is less than safe if the primary purpose of the company can be proven to have been set up to circumvent the land ownership laws of Thailand. Safe today may not be safe tomorrow.

Better work on that relationship. :o

I purchased two plots of land last April one in Wanon niwat, and one outside in wanbon, as me and my wife are married I had to sign the land papers, in which case I am assuming should she ever die or we seperate, she cannot sell the land without my approval. However, we are both very happy together. We have only just returned after infilling both plots of land, now have to wait at least a year before building. As I beleive there is another issue when you actually build the house also, you now have to get permission from I think it is the land office before you can build, which takesa a day seemingly. :o:D

"I had to sign the land papers, in which case I am assuming should she ever die or we seperate, she cannot sell the land without my approval."

Ehhh no.

What you signed was to say that the land was purchased by the wife with her money and that you have NO claim on the land. Sorry.