Tesco Lotus Banchang

longball53098

I am starting this topic to get all of you folks that shop at the Banchang Tesco Lotus to maybe use our limited power as consumers to voice our feelings about the food/grocery items in this store.

We farangs that live/work/retire/visit here and make Lotus a usual shopping stop all know that the selection of "western" food and grocery items is limited. I know they could do better if they really tried. They need the incentive to add more things we would like to see and purchase.

I seriously doubt that we will ever see a Foodland, Villa Market or Carrefour in this immediate area so maybe Tesco feels they have a captive audience. So what I propose is when you shop there and think "I wish they had (fill in your item)" just stop by the service desk and ask for a manager to speak with about the product you would like to see. Can they speak English? Not likely but give it a shot.

Will this guarantee you're fondest desires? Hardly! Will you get what you want? No not likely on the first try or even second and third. But if enough of us start requesting foreign items then maybe, just maybe the store will get the message that there is a stronger presence of farang baht in the area and they may consider adding the frequently asked for things we all crave.

I am a shopper and not a big businessman but it only makes sense that if I have a customer base that is asking for something and I'm in business to make money and show a profit than if I put the things on the shelf that my customers will spend money on the profit goes up. The store manager could really care less what he stocks other than if he stocks items that don't sell and make money he will soon remove them from the store.

I think we have a chance to get some new items in Tesco but we need to start by requesting them. I bet not too many folks do this as they feel it's hopeless.

Give me some feedback and let me know if I "am just another crazy farang" with an idea.

I think we have a chance to get some new items in Tesco but we need to start by requesting them. I bet not too many folks do this as they feel it's hopeless.

"am just another crazy farang" with an idea.

Yeap another crazy farang with an idea.. :o

Its a nice sentiment, but the problem would be......Big chain stores are supplied from a central warehouse, so would guess the manager would have very little choice to what he does or doesnt put on the shelves, to start getting things you want on the shelves away from the norm, you would have to deal with TESCO's buyers and supply chain managment department...

Could the branch manager talk to the SCM department...He could, would he ?....dont think so...

I personally would like to see a bit more variety in Ban Chang Tesco, but not going to hold my breath on this one...

If you are looking for imported stuff...go and have a look at the small supermarket behind the bars on the same road as Best Restaurant, when I first came to Ban Chang it was the only place in the area where you could anything which resembled Farang food, and if you are looking for something specific they can generally get it for you.....since Tesco's opened in Ban Chang, suspect this shop has took a hammering on its business and its a shame because it is/was a good little shop...

Edited by Soutpeel

although i agree with the sentiment- 'don't hold your breath'

i do think that individual store managers can choose from a range for what to put in their individual stores

you have to remember that the larger tesco stores- eg. the one next to outlet mall by theprasit rd, south pattaya

have a far wider range on their shelves

this range of goods is suppplied from the tesco warehouse and so therefore the ban chang branch could also order a few extra or different goods from the warehouse

so the trick is to remember what you've seen on sale at larger tesco stores and then go to request these by chatting at the info desk on the ban chang shelves-

now that is possible in my opinion and well within the powers of the store manager

by the way i'd like to see some real cheese on sale i'm bored of that plastic slices crap

a better selection of cereals would be handy too

some real sausages would be nice

olives

butter

real yoghurt

etc....

I think about the same way on this.

I know that the store cannot order specific items but if suggested that another Tesco carries something maybe the manager will consider that something for his store. He has limited shelf space compared to the bigger box places so he isn't going to take up space with products that don't move well.

I certainly will look for the small store near Best DE

long ball-

i'm surprised you don't know the small store by de Best restaraunt actually between Best and Bazooka nightclub -- i got the impression you've lived here quite a while

it's called Kitch Friend and yes it sells stuff you can't find elsewhere without a trip over to pattaya so useful to have ion ban chang

long ball-

it's called Kitch Friend and yes it sells stuff you can't find elsewhere without a trip over to pattaya so useful to have ion ban chang

Its very useful in Ban Chang, but if people dont support it, it will not be there, so would suggest instead to trying to convince a MNC ie TESCO to get the stuff you want, rather support the local small businesses and give them the money instead... :o

I agree with both of you about "Kitch" store next to Best.

Went there yesterday as I was in the area and just wanted to look. Ended up supporting the store by spending over 1300 baht. They do have a rather good but odd selection of western stuff. I found a can of Corned Beef I have not seen in quite a while. The wife talked with the cashier for a bit and found out the owner of De Best also owns the store and she asked about meat like steak and stuff. The lady says the owner would be happy to take orders and bring it in "special order" to keep folks happy. Not sure of pricing I'm thinking. But, try that at Tesco! Ha.I don't think so!

Anyway the place is on our list for shopping.

I still think a frequent request at Lotus might help. Hasn't changed my mind about that. I think there's room for both.

Edited by longball53098

• 1 year later...

I'm resurrecting this old topic from 2008 to say that Tesco has not done much in the way of adding any western products and it seems they don't intend to.

On a more positive note!

I made contact with the Nana foods company and with the shop Kitch Friend in Banchang and I got the two together. It appears that Kitch has ordered a small supply of the Nana pasta sauces and the salsas. The Kitch agreed to try a small quantity of each to see if it moves. If it sells I think they will continue to supply the products. The store will have the Nana products on the shelf in a week or so.

So anyone in the area that is longing for the great Nana pasta sauce it will be coming to Kitch Friend very soon so keep an eye out for it. If you are a fan of bottled pasta sauces stop in Kitch and pick up a bottle or two.

For those in Ban Phe, and most probably already know about Petya's (sorry, don't know the exact name of the shop) where we can get international newspapers, there is also a good selection of western foods, and if asked, sometimes she will be able to get something ordered for you. There is a great selection of fresh breads there all the time! Plus sausages, salamis, cheeses, and frozen meats.

(Just east of Christie's, west of the police station, and across the soi from yet another 7-11 on the corner)

I felt the same way here in Chanthaburi, but rather than ask the local managers about items that I wanted what I did was email the main office and within 3-4 weeks some of the items appeared. Now not all the items requested stayed due to not being able to sell the products but if you WANT something try going to the top instead of starting at the bottom???????????????

An update as of yesterday the small shop Kitch Friend in Banchang is now stocking the Nana Pasta sauces and the Sapo salsa as well. I believe the store has all the product line in a small quantity for a reasonable price.

So if you live in the area maybe some support to Kitch and buy the Nana sauce you won't regret the choice. I am now too lazy to make the sauce at home as this is great stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd like to see the Tesco staff restock their shelves regularly and not make such a face when I ask them to go to the warehouse and get me what's missing!

Ah, I feel better now. :D

I bought the second last can of Chang Lite on Sunday at noon. I left the last one there and turned it upside-down to indicate to the shelvers that it was almost out of stock. The next day, Monday, someone had managed to turn that one last remaining can the right way up again. I had no choice but to buy Chang Classic.

Yesterday, there was nothing left of the good, sensible Chang Lite at all, so I had to buy Chang Classic again. I mentioned this once again to the shop assistant and was once again promised that the more expensive by the carton Chang Lite would be in-stock again today.

Now, if I'm drunk on the classic, after another broken promise on the Chang Lite, and I go out and do what all those drunken-drivers are known to do by the wowsers of this world, then who shall be to blame for it?

I want to drink responsibly, but that is seemingly not possible here in Ban Chang.

In vinos veritos. Merry Christmas punters. :):D:D

long ball-

i'm surprised you don't know the small store by de Best restaraunt actually between Best and Bazooka nightclub -- i got the impression you've lived here quite a while

It is not Bazooka any more it is a Japanese/Korean restaurant.

I hope repetition is ok as it shows that more people want the same things.

Sausages (they had S&P one but no longer), cheese (they have it in Rayong), decent steaks, baked beans and consisten quality salad and veg.

They have S&P sausages at the S&P store about 10 feet from the Lotus checkout counters.

• 2 months later...
I felt the same way here in Chanthaburi, but rather than ask the local managers about items that I wanted what I did was email the main office and within 3-4 weeks some of the items appeared. Now not all the items requested stayed due to not being able to sell the products but if you WANT something try going to the top instead of starting at the bottom???????????????

Here are Tesco's contact details in Bangkok: http://www.tescolotus.com/left.php?lang=en...p;data=talktous

If enough people sent them messages or telephoned...?

http://www.tescolotus.com/en/

Here are Tesco's contact details in Bangkok: http://www.tescolotus.com/left.php?lang=en...p;data=talktous

If enough people sent them messages or telephoned...?

http://www.tescolotus.com/en/

Tesco Lotus are one of the VERY few businesses in Thailand which will reply to an email enquiry sent to them using their "contact us" facility.

Does Payoon mini stock sour cream? And Nana sauces?

I dont know. But they did have alot of western cooking ingredients and condoments. All fully stocked too as opposed to tesco and kitch friend where items are a bit hit and miss.

The only thing they are lacking is a good meat selection and fresh bread.

Very frustrating at Tesco's Banchang...we have a workaround which works quite well. We take empty packets of stuff that we normally have to go to Villa's for and give them to the lady at Kitch Friend, and ask if she can get this for us...we have done this successfully for chicken stuffing and whole bean coffee. She has a problem finding the distributor detail for shredded cheese but we have found that if she can source stuff, she will. It's a niche market for her that Tesco seem unwilling or unable to fill...having said that, Tesco's wine range is improving but it's been a long haul. Our fallback for wine [especially Jacob's Creek Chardonnay] has always been Ann's Liquor store and his prices are competitive.