Need Some Advice On The Current Ferry Situation

JonnyF

I'm riding my motorbike down from Bangkok next week for a few days in Samui and I need some advice on the ferry situation for me and the bike.

I gather from previous posts that I need to go to Donsak pier, but google maps shows 2 piers at Donsak, which one do I need?

Also, could someone recommend which ferry service is the best and whether I need to pre-book with them or is it better to just show up. It sounds like they can get busy, is there any danger that I won't be able to get on one of them? Have they reduced services lately due to the lack of tourists?

I'm leaving Bangkok about 6 in the morning so I reckon I'll be at the pier no later than 4pm.

I realize some of these questions have been raised before but as you know things can change in Thailand from one month to the next and I'm really looking for current information.

Thanks a lot…

Edited by JonnyF

For motorbikes you don't need to make a reservation. At Donsak there's the Radja en Seatran pier. The Radja goes to Lipa Noi and the Seatran to Nathon. Although the Radja is a bit faster, Seatran is the better one of these ferries.

Hi from Surat Thani just follow the signs for Samui. Its a nice ride from there to Donsak. You dont need to book just sail past all the suckers lined up in their cars and go to the front of the queue. It was around 170 baht for passenger and bike. Agree with the above poster that the Seatran is a better boat. On Sundays the Samui Pirates go for an island run so if you want to hook up with them head to the Honey bar Chawang. The roads here are crap though thats why I sent the Triumph back to the mainland for use there. Enjoy :o