Games Games Games

jltheart

I am so bored with the games I have been using this year would love some more ideas. We all know how useful this tool can be.  Any one have any suggestions? If you have please reply and thank you ahead of time.

I never play games with the kids, but this term I wanted to give them a break and so I devised a game of "word bingo". The worksheet (AKA the bingo card) had three games. Game number one was easy: just a table of numbers (one, two, three.. thirty-one). I called out a number and they crossed it off. That was the warmup game. Game number two was rather more difficult, using ordinal numbers (1st, 2nd, 3rd... 31st). I thought this was great practise as it seems to be something the Thai teachers don't teach. The kids had good fun trying to mimick my pronunciation of "-th". Game number three was a mix of words and short sentences, sorted into alphabetical order. I picked out useful stuff we'd been using this term.

To produce the worksheets, I made one master sheet and copied it eight times. I crossed off random selections on the eight sheets, thus creating eight unique bingo cards. I then copied them up so not every student in the class used the same sheet.

The kids enjoyed the game and asked to play it again. No bloody way, one game a year is all you are getting! :o

I use the alphabet and categories to create team games and this enhances vocabulary

For older students I use these games with a time limit - cretaes healthy competition

An example> 3 teams Each choose a letter Then they must give one/two examples of category ggroups beginning with letter and they only have i min so they must be quick Those with most pts win

Play this with Mattyaom and your be popular

MagikFook

The game I like to use is called BACK TO THE BOARD.

Its easy really...

Make teams, Have one student from a team come up with his back to the blackboard or whiteboard and write a word or phrase on the board above their heads. The teammates must get them to say the word or phrase in a given amount of time. You choose!

This game can be geared up or down to work for many skill levels. Students can be made to use words or whole english sentences to get the teammate to give the answer. again, your choice!

This game gets everyone to either learn new words or reinforce already known words as well as getting them to practice thier english speaking skills.

the listening skills of the student at the board are reinforced as well :o

Hope this helps

greg

Edited by griser

• 1 year later...

You want a game? I have a great game that works with all age groups, I even used it in my class for the local Thai teachers and it went down just as well with them as it did my M1 class.

Ok you need to write out approx 30 different parts of the body into squares (mine are about 4x4cm) on a sheet of heavy A4 card. This you then cover with sticky, clear plastic front and back. Then cut the page into its separate squares each containing a written part of the body. Depending on the size of your class you will need to repeat this up to 4-5 times. I like to try for 4 teams per class in this game which can be in excess of 10 students per team, again depending on class size.

So divvy the class up into different teams, giving each team a name, get them to choose it. Hand out a set of 30ish (up to you how many cards you make) body part squares to each team.

They now have 15-20 mins to look up and write down a translation of each word, at the same time some of the group need to start cutting and applying a 8cm length of sticky tape to the square.

The aim of this game is to teach them the parts of the body whilst giggling inanely. At the end of the allotted time period you get one member from each team to stand at the front of the class. On the count of 3 the rest of the team then have to run up and stick the body parts onto the correct parts of the body, it gets noisy at this stage. They love this game, and if you have used a decent A4card and covered it front and back with clear plastic you can reuse these again and again.

But the best part of the game is you get to remove the stuck on cards, I normal choose boys as the stickees (my own word) as it is safer this way. Also the choice of body parts you choose should be considered carefully. Bottom is as risky as I go!

you will need for 4 teams

4 sheets heavy A4

1-2 large sheets of the clear sticky plastic.

Scissors

roll of sticky tape.

Ear plugs for yourself and any teacher next door.