Birdwatching In Isan

isanbirder

I have just moved to Buriram and started birdwatching here. There are few records from this area, and birding here is full of surprises... species which are not known within hundreds of miles. I would like to get in touch with other birders, especioally in Buriram and Surin provinces.

Isanbirder

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have just moved to Buriram and started birdwatching here. There are few records from this area, and birding here is full of surprises... species which are not known within hundreds of miles. I would like to get in touch with other birders, especioally in Buriram and Surin provinces.

Isanbirder

Well I am no professional but I like to watch the birds around here. We have some very beautiful falcons, magpie robins, black and wite flysnappers, egrets and so on. My neighbour has a lot of chicken but I don't think they count.

Where do you live in Buriram ?

Lots of racing chickens........ Them skinny black ones running around the villages.

As for many more, most of the wildlife has already been eaten by the natives.

Plenty of short legged, black haired, brown skinned dolly birds knocking about though..... :o

John.....

Isanbirder

I am not at my place full time but when i am there i take the dogs out 5 to 5.30 in the morning for a mile and a half walk along the river that runs through the rice fields to the next village then to a large wooded area, seen kingfishers, egrits the large pheasent type bird, humming birds, just amazing, but there is not as much wildlife here now as 15 years ago when i first visited Buriram.

Isanbirder

Well I am no professional but I like to watch the birds around here. We have some very beautiful falcons, magpie robins, black and wite flysnappers, egrets and so on. My neighbour has a lot of chicken but I don't think they count.

Where do you live in Buriram ?

Near Krasang, somewhere in the middle of the rice paddies.

Isanbirder

I am not at my place full time but when i am there i take the dogs out 5 to 5.30 in the morning for a mile and a half walk along the river that runs through the rice fields to the next village then to a large wooded area, seen kingfishers, egrits the large pheasent type bird, humming birds, just amazing, but there is not as much wildlife here now as 15 years ago when i first visited Buriram.

Yeah, I'm mostlty out with the dogs too, not that early (it's dark here at that time). I've seen 77 species to date, mostly in the last month, and am adding new ones daily. The terrain near my house sounds much like yours.

Isanbirder

Yeah, I'm mostlty out with the dogs too, not that early (it's dark here at that time). I've seen 77 species to date, mostly in the last month, and am adding new ones daily. The terrain near my house sounds much like yours.

I am on the Surin road from Buriram, about 4 clicks out of town.

Isanbirder

Hi there. I lived in Isaan for many years and saw a gradual decline in most wildlife, including birds over that time, mostly as a result of habitat loss and degradation. But in the last few years I noticed an increase in numbers of some bird species which was encouraging. Nothing scientific - just casual observation and gut feeling. Anyway, I have this pet theory that the increase in birds may have something to do with the marked decrease in boys and young adults going everywhere with catapults as they did in the past, which has given the birds a bit of a respite from hunting pressure. And some types of lizard too. Of course, it is still popular with the young guys to take out their guns and blast at everything and anything in the fields and woods, but even many of those guys are away in the cities/industrial estates/overseas these days and only come home infrequently.

Anyone else notice anything similar in their areas? Now if you could get the remaining kids interested in bird watching, rather than hunting, there might be a chance of seeing more bird species round the villlages.................... :o

humming birds

think you mean sunbirds ? there are no hummingbirds in Thailand..

hi isanbirder

must admit, never done much birding around isaan. A bit around Chaiyaphum once while visiting a friend was ok. Among many that stood out, pintail snipe in the paddies & japanese sparrowhawk were typical of that area.

Its a very underwatched part of the country, not many visiting birders actually bother with it. Be interesting to know what your seeing there..

good luck.

humming birds

hi isanbirder

must admit, never done much birding around isaan. A bit around Chaiyaphum once while visiting a friend was ok. Among many that stood out, pintail snipe in the paddies & japanese sparrowhawk were typical of that area.

Its a very underwatched part of the country, not many visiting birders actually bother with it. Be interesting to know what your seeing there..

good luck.

Are Sunbirds very small and hover ?.

Isanbirder

I'm near Krasang, a long way from Napho, I'm afraid. Saw my first falcon today (a Peregrine); I suspect your falcons are Black-shouldered Kites (pearl grey with a black patch at the bend of the wing; frequently hover over the paddy).

humming birds

hi isanbirder

good luck.

Flavour of the month (inappropriate metaphor) are certainly Painted Storks, which I've seen, up to 4 birds, three times in the past week (not to be confused with the Openbills at Krasang). I've also seen Black Bazas, Common Wood-Shrike and Fulvous-breasted Woodpeckers (on a tree in the middle of a paddyfield!). These are all out of known range. But I also love to watch the lovely Green Bee-eaters and exotic-looking Hoopoes in the garden, and the Stonechats and Pied Bushchats on the stubble... and the many hawks, Black-shouldered Kites, Marsh Harriers, Black Kites, Brahminy Kites, Honey Buzzards, and today a Peregrine.

Isanbirder

Isanbirder

I'm near Krasang, a long way from Napho, I'm afraid. Saw my first falcon today (a Peregrine); I suspect your falcons are Black-shouldered Kites (pearl grey with a black patch at the bend of the wing; frequently hover over the paddy).

Might be ! Black wing tips ?.

Late last October I saw a very big black bird in the nothern outskirts of Buriram town. Some sort of eagle or a vulture I am not sure (definitely no crow). Keep your eyes open and report ! :o

Yesterday here in Napho I saw i big flock of black crows. About 20 birds. Earlier I have seen flocks of no more than 5-8 birds.

Isanbirder

Late last October I saw a very big black bird in the nothern outskirts of Buriram town. Some sort of eagle or a vulture I am not sure (definitely no crow). Keep your eyes open and report ! :o

Yesterday here in Napho I saw i big flock of black crows. About 20 birds. Earlier I have seen flocks of no more than 5-8 birds.

Yes, black wingtips... lovely birds!

I used to live in surin, and have now moved to Pak Chong, Nakhon Rathisima province, Isaan. We are close to Khao Yai National park. Approx 350 recorded species, including four types of Hornbill (the King of birds) - Great, Oriental Pied, Brown and Wreathred. I enter the park about once a week. Last trip from memory we saw 3 species of Hornbill, Indian Roller, Lapwing, Spotted Dove, Bulbuls, Jungle Myna, Black-shouldred Kite, Harrier, Lesser Racket-tailed Drongo, Eurasian Kinfisher, White-breasted King-fisher and many others. One of the best places in Asia to watch birds. Definetly the best place in Isaan. :o

Stonechats

don't forget to check the rump patch on these, if its un-streaked, they are Siberian Stonechat..

Nice one... and a new one for me! But don't you mean Hoodwink (Dissimulatrix spuria)?

^ :D

the eastern race is a definate 'tick' :o

Isanbirder

Not very good news! They do a lot of damage to smaller birds (destroy nests and eggs), not to mention domestic chicks.

• 9 months later...

Reviving an old topic, just to see if any new birdwatchers have moved into the area. This month and next are a great time for migrant birds... this morning I had 3 Red-necked Phalaropes in the middle of a paddyfield within a mile of my house. Most of the winter visitors are in (no Black Drongos yet); the Stonechats only arrived a couple of days ago (Goshawk can look for his Siberian Stonechats... to which I can find only one reference in my small library, in Birds of Singapore, where the author separates subspecies

maura from the species torquata).

Good watching!

I am in Ubon, not Surin, and I am not a birder - but I do enjoy watching the local birdlife. I am pleased to report that around my house, bird variety has increased over recent years. I think this is because I have converted some rice land to garden, and planted flowers and trees. I now have regular pairs of scarlet capped sunbirds and olive backed flower peckers (I think I have those names right, my book is not to hand) and the other day a pair of king fishers. There are a number of other bird species, more each year, but I haven't identifed them.

Anyway, it is good to be able to report an increase when most people have seen the reverse.

Cheers,

Mike

Isanbirder, thanks for reviving this topic, I had not seen it previously. Wife and I returned to Thailand and rebuilt about 40km S.E. of Surin last year. The new house is part of a small village, but we have river front land and an adjacent lagoon that surrounds us about 270 degrees. We have a large balcony with views over all this that gives us exceptional birding views, all day everyday. I find it easy to get +1000 photos daily and after 7 months believe I am getting close to having reasonable shots of most of the wide variety of birds living or visiting here. I need to get some discipline to sort and work on the identifications I have made. I hope I can get some support from this forum for the ID's that I cannot confirm.

It seems to me, lower Isaan in particular is largely ignored by the birding community in Thailand. Does not seem justified. I don't know much, but I'm learning. I'm pleased to report in our village area I have not seen any bird shooting or netting. They shoot fish. Also, the Cambodian border/Dongrek mountains are only 30km south. This area is more heavily forested and the land mines on both sides of the border have created sanctuary.

Be pleased to have any of you visit, just PM me. Some of my bird pics are in http://picasaweb.google.com/Colinhmartin

I really hope this forum can find a new lease of life.

This beauty was a one time visitor. I cannot find an ID match.

post-66519-1254017386_thumb.jpg

I am guessing this might be the Black-shouldered kite? However, the books I have show a real fan tail, unlike the narrow straight tail in my pics.

post-66519-1254017404_thumb.jpg

Appreciate any input.

The first one looks like a Honey Buzzard, from the bars on the tail; I've seen them here near Krasang.

The second one is a Black-shouldered Kite; it fans its tail when hovering, which it does frequently. A real beauty!

Isanbirder, thanks for reviving this topic, I had not seen it previously. Wife and I returned to Thailand and rebuilt about 40km S.E. of Surin last year. The new house is part of a small village, but we have river front land and an adjacent lagoon that surrounds us about 270 degrees. We have a large balcony with views over all this that gives us exceptional birding views, all day everyday. I find it easy to get +1000 photos daily and after 7 months believe I am getting close to having reasonable shots of most of the wide variety of birds living or visiting here. I need to get some discipline to sort and work on the identifications I have made. I hope I can get some support from this forum for the ID's that I cannot confirm.

It seems to me, lower Isaan in particular is largely ignored by the birding community in Thailand. Does not seem justified. I don't know much, but I'm learning. I'm pleased to report in our village area I have not seen any bird shooting or netting. They shoot fish. Also, the Cambodian border/Dongrek mountains are only 30km south. This area is more heavily forested and the land mines on both sides of the border have created sanctuary.

Be pleased to have any of you visit, just PM me. Some of my bird pics are in http://picasaweb.google.com/Colinhmartin

I really hope this forum can find a new lease of life.

Isan generally has been largely ignored by birdwatchers, though people are paying a bit more attention now there are records of things like Comb Ducks from across the border. Problem is, birders tend to go to the well-known sites, and the ordinary countryside is ignored. I've been keeping daily notes of sightings in my area for almost exactly a year now; just undistinguished paddy, with a couple of small, very disturbed woods, all within easy walking distance of my house (I don't drive). In a year, I've recorded 115 species, and there are undoubtedly a lot more to come. And that's without any forest, or any real wetland (unless you count paddy as wetland!).

I am in Ubon, not Surin, and I am not a birder - but I do enjoy watching the local birdlife. I am pleased to report that around my house, bird variety has increased over recent years. I think this is because I have converted some rice land to garden, and planted flowers and trees. I now have regular pairs of scarlet capped sunbirds and olive backed flower peckers (I think I have those names right, my book is not to hand) and the other day a pair of king fishers. There are a number of other bird species, more each year, but I haven't identifed them.

Anyway, it is good to be able to report an increase when most people have seen the reverse.

Cheers,

Mike

Scarlet-backed Flowerpeckers (a little gem) and Olive-backed Sunbirds. Look out for the nests; both make hanging nests which look like a small bunch of dead leaves. SBF is high up in a tree (generally), butOBS often likes to build just outside a window or in front of your door! Nice to watch them bringing food to the young. Yes, create a habitat and you'll get the birds!

Cheers,

Mike

Scarlet-backed Flowerpeckers (a little gem) and Olive-backed Sunbirds. Look out for the nests; both make hanging nests which look like a small bunch of dead leaves. SBF is high up in a tree (generally), butOBS often likes to build just outside a window or in front of your door! Nice to watch them bringing food to the young. Yes, create a habitat and you'll get the birds!

Thanks for correcting me :) They are lovely to watch, and have distinctive calls (like tapping pebbles together). I have not seen any nests yet, but will look out for them. I did put up a nesting box, but it was hijacked by skinks; probably not their preferred location anyway from what you say. The trees that SBF and OBS seem to favour most are the ones with the small sweet red berries, the name is something like "takop".

I am starting to try photographing the birds I see, as I find identifying them from memory very hard. When you open the book and find a page of near-identical birds, and realise you were supposed to notice if the yellow patch was wide or narrow (or whatever), a photograph is very useful! Another skill to learn, though, as they are usually silhouetted, and always shy.

Cheers,

Mike

P.S. An interesting aside: we now also have quite a few pigeons, that visit a roof and a grassy (actually weedy) area. I remarked to my wife that, although in Isaan people eat just about everything else, they don't eat pigeons; and added that farang eat pigeons, they are very tasty. My wife said local people don't eat pigeons because they usually live in the grounds of temples.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for correcting me :) They are lovely to watch, and have distinctive calls (like tapping pebbles together). I have not seen any nests yet, but will look out for them. I did put up a nesting box, but it was hijacked by skinks; probably not their preferred location anyway from what you say. The trees that SBF and OBS seem to favour most are the ones with the small sweet red berries, the name is something like "takop".

I am starting to try photographing the birds I see, as I find identifying them from memory very hard. When you open the book and find a page of near-identical birds, and realise you were supposed to notice if the yellow patch was wide or narrow (or whatever), a photograph is very useful! Another skill to learn, though, as they are usually silhouetted, and always shy.

Cheers,

Mike

P.S. An interesting aside: we now also have quite a few pigeons, that visit a roof and a grassy (actually weedy) area. I remarked to my wife that, although in Isaan people eat just about everything else, they don't eat pigeons; and added that farang eat pigeons, they are very tasty. My wife said local people don't eat pigeons because they usually live in the grounds of temples.

There is a website with photos of Thai birds, quite extensive. Sorry, I forget its name, but if you google any species name, you'll soon find it (it's something like thaibird.com).

There is a website with photos of Thai birds, quite extensive. Sorry, I forget its name, but if you google any species name, you'll soon find it (it's something like thaibird.com).

Thanks. I use "Birds of South-East Asia" by Craig Robson. The problem is when the bird refuses to sit in front of me and wait while I consider the alternatives. "Now turn around, please, I need to see your tail feathers..." :)

Archived